The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Brent Sopel

Through 59 games, NHL has his TOI per game at 16:25. So, I'm thinking the latter.

Edit: Didn't refresh to see your post habs_93 :P

(12 minutes later lol) :rolleyes:

Hey, the more info the better I say! B)

I think he'll be a valuable addition to our crew. Don't know who I'd pair him with, but I like what he can do, particularly with his physicality.

Welcome, Brent! :D

Atlanta's been using him right around the 17-18 minute mark on average, as per this:

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8462176&season=20102011&view=gamelog

Through 59 games, NHL has his TOI per game at 16:25. So, I'm thinking the latter.

Edit: Didn't refresh to see your post habs_93 :P

(12 minutes later lol) :rolleyes:

Thanks, both of you. Hopefully he can step into the role Spacek was filling.

What is there not to like about this trade. :blink:

Another aged 30's defenceman for not only a draft pick but for Maxwell (age 22) in exchange for a 5'9" smurf AHLer (at 200lbs) in Nigel Dawes who just happens to be 25 years old. The draft pick is fine but the player swap is not. But it is only Montreal.

He's good on the PK so I suppose he's the Gorges replacement. Rumor was that we were after Phillips and I suppose this was a logical fall back (I'd actually prefer Sopel given the potential cost to get Phillips).

Not in love with the move, but not unhappy either.

That's pretty much how I feel. It's a decent move and it probably happened because Spacek is out long-term. I'm not wild about it, but it's not horrible either. The D injuries have left us in a very tight spot.

Another aged 30's defenceman for not only a draft pick but for Maxwell (age 22) in exchange for a 5'9" smurf AHLer (at 200lbs) in Nigel Dawes who just happens to be 25 years old. The draft pick is fine but the player swap is not. But it is only Montreal.

200 lbs at 5'9" is nothing to sneeze at; the height is short, but it means he's built bigger than a player like Maxwell, who weighs less and is 4" taller. Stronger on the puck, in the corners, etc.

Maxwell may be 22 years old, but he's no sure-fire star or blue-chip prospect. The reality is, we're chock full of smallish playmaking centers - and that's all Maxwell really is.

The draft pack is a 4th rounder - a crapshoot by then, and pretty easy to pick up more of in the future anyway.

In terms of what we're getting, which is some defensive depth, we paid pretty accurately. Sopel is a strong playoff performer - his game is built for it; if he plays anything like he had for Chicago and Vancouver, then we'll be getting the better end of the deal.

if it aint moen for ovechkin....

Off camera, Sopel said it's nice to be back in Canada "where you can get Smarties." Fans – and the media – are going to like this guy, a lot. (habs inside/out)

--------------

Brent Sopel

Wow what a great morning. Great to be on the ice as a member of the Montreal Canadiens. This city is electric. Can't wait for tonight

Pretty solid game by Sopel tonight. Other than a missed one-timer at the point, I didn't notice him for any wrong reasons all night. The great thing about having a guy like Sopel is that JM now has a reliable 5th-6th man to eat up some valuable minutes, especially on the PK. Playing the 2nd wave with Weber (first wave is PK-Gill), this keeps Wisniewski off the ice in defensive situations, and helps manage Hammer's minutes.

Pretty solid game by Sopel tonight. Other than a missed one-timer at the point, I didn't notice him for any wrong reasons all night. The great thing about having a guy like Sopel is that JM now has a reliable 5th-6th man to eat up some valuable minutes, especially on the PK. Playing the 2nd wave with Weber (first wave is PK-Gill), this keeps Wisniewski off the ice in defensive situations, and helps manage Hammer's minutes.

He was decent in his debut, nothing special and nothing alarming. The bigger issue is what you point out, in that Sopel is really just another 5-6 guy, although he does fit the need of being able to eat up PK minutes. But right now if you look at our defence, we have this:

- Hamrlik (a 3rd D man, maybe a 2 at best)

- Subban (a 3rd D man, has potential to be a #1 but won't be there this year)

- Wisniewski (a 4th D man, maybe a 3rd at best)

- Gill (a 5th D man, being asked to play like a top 4 guy)

- Sopel (a 5th-6th guy)

- Mara (a 6th guy)

- Weber (a 6th guy)

- Picard (a 6th-7th guy)

So really, our corps right now is being made up of 3 2nd pairing guys and a collection of 3rd pairing guys with deficiencies in their games. No question Sopel helps to solidify the back end of the D corps and the PK, but what we really need to address in the off-season is the top end of our blue line.

we made it through 2 rounds of the playoffs last year without a number one Dman and were praised for devensive play(although most of that was our goaltending). If Brent Sopel can block shots and eat up PK time like Gorges, our Defence is really not that different from last year. I dont think Brent will be as good as Gorges but he's got playoff experience that Gorges does not have and maybe that can help us out.

we made it through 2 rounds the 2nd round of the playoffs last year without a number one Dman and were praised for devensive play(although most of that was our goaltending). If Brent Sopel can block shots and eat up PK time like Gorges, our Defence is really not that different from last year. I dont think Brent will be as good as Gorges but he's got playoff experience that Gorges does not have and maybe that can help us out.

Fixed . Markov played in the 1st round :P

Fixed . Markov played in the 1st round :P

so it was Washington who made him miss the playoffs! :angry:

He was decent in his debut, nothing special and nothing alarming. The bigger issue is what you point out, in that Sopel is really just another 5-6 guy, although he does fit the need of being able to eat up PK minutes. But right now if you look at our defence, we have this:

- Sopel (a 5th-6th guy)

- Mara (a 6th guy)

- Weber (a 6th guy)

- Picard (a 6th-7th guy)

So really, our corps right now is being made up of 3 2nd pairing guys and a collection of 3rd pairing guys with deficiencies in their games. No question Sopel helps to solidify the back end of the D corps and the PK, but what we really need to address in the off-season is the top end of our blue line.

Markov is a 1st guy,but he is injured.

But right now if you look at our defence, we have this:

- Sopel (a 5th-6th guy)

- Mara (a 6th guy)

- Weber (a 6th guy)

- Picard (a 6th-7th guy)

Well at this point, there's not much you can do about all the injuries. There are other teams in the same situation as well, and I don't think many people are pegging Montreal for a cup run. It really will be interesting to see how PG handles the off-season. If everybody comes back healthy and the right players get re-signed, our top 4 could look pretty decent, especially with one of the stronger goaltenders in the league backing them up.

Markov, Subban, Gorges, Wisniewski

Markov and his knee are definitely a question mark, but as for the rest I would think they could be re-signed with little problem. Subban will be around for sure (and cheap for at least one more season), Gorges should be able to walk back into his 4th d-man role, and Wisniewski has bounced around enough in his career that he probably wouldn't mind staying for a reasonable salary. As for the 5-6 role, PG has a lot to choose from. I would imagine Weber would fill one of those spots if only for future considerations. The last spot could go to Gill, Spacek, Sopel if re-signed, or even Hammer if he can be re-signed for cheap to specifically fill the bottom 2 role.