The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

The Worst Job You Ever Had

kinot-1

I suspect that some of you have had various jobs throughout your lives, so what was/is the worst job you ever had?

Over the years I have had about 7 jobs, 4 of them lasted 3 or more years. Of those, my worst job was when I worked in a mine in Sudbury. It was dirty, noisy, dark, and heavy-lifting. It lasted 3 1/2 years.

Of the short-term jobs,,,,I also worked in the smelter at Sudbury. It was smelly, dirty, and HOT. It lasted 2 months. :(

When I was a teenager I worked for an entire summer gutting an old retail store and setting up a new one in its place. Very tedious and very boring...I hate being stuck inside all day.

Dental office for a summer. Now, I know that doesn't sounds bad but it was. Almost made me go crazy. But I'm young so I haven't had that many chances at a bad job. :P

I suspect that some of you have had various jobs throughout your lives, so what was/is the worst job you ever had?

Over the years I have had about 7 jobs, 4 of them lasted 3 or more years. Of those, my worst job was when I worked in a mine in Sudbury. It was dirty, noisy, dark, and heavy-lifting. It lasted 3 1/2 years.

Of the short-term jobs,,,,I also worked in the smelter at Sudbury. It was smelly, dirty, and HOT. It lasted 2 months. :(

Can I ask what the name of the mine was? Just curious.

Dental office for a summer. Now, I know that doesn't sounds bad but it was. Almost made me go crazy. But I'm young so I haven't had that many chances at a bad job. :P

Can I ask what the name of the mine was? Just curious.

It was the Garson Mine (from '69-'73) and the Falconbridge Smelter.

Pick a box. Open said box. Pull out bags. Open bags. Dump out smaller bags. Open smaller bag. Pull out jewelry. Take tags. Put plastic tag through paper tag. Put tag on jewelry. Put jewelry back in bag. Close bag. Put smaller bag back in bigger bag. Put bigger bag back in box. Tape box up. Pick another box.

Repeat for 8 hours.

Pick a box. Open said box. Pull out bags. Open bags. Dump out smaller bags. Open smaller bag. Pull out jewelry. Take tags. Put plastic tag through paper tag. Put tag on jewelry. Put jewelry back in bag. Close bag. Put smaller bag back in bigger bag. Put bigger bag back in box. Tape box up. Pick another box.

Repeat for 8 hours.

OMG :lol:

Repeat for 8 hours.

Sounds a lot like my last job at the Ford Assembly Plant in St. Thomas. one car EVERY minuite. Same thing, every car,,,,every minute (1 car, one minute.). 8 hours every day, and sometimes 10 hours everyday. BORING.,,,you were a robot.

Repeat for 8 hours.

Ok I've got box #2458. What do I win?

I've only ever had one job my whole life. Working in the family business right out of school.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest habs1952

Had a summer job cleaning chicken cages. Lasted 1 day. Seemed like it took months to get the stink out. Chicken doo doo has got to be the rankest odour I've ever smelled. 10 times worse than changing a babies diaper.

• 3 weeks later...

14 years of age, show up each morning at a 'miscellaneous labour' depot in the (summer), and pile into a truck or van not really knowing where you're going. I had a few 'select' jobs amongst those. I suppose the 'peach' one was pulling the innards out of (dead) chickens in a freezing cold warehouse. Paid in cash at the end of each day. Pile back into the truck or van, and back to the depot. This was in Montreal in the 70's.

I don't imagine those labour depots are legal anymore for minors (if they even were back then), and I don't imagine parents nowadays would allow their kids to show up at them either. It certainly did me no harm; started me learning what a day's work was all about, and exposed me to the range of work that was out there.

Separately, I did (much) prefer the Easter-time (only) shifts my friend got me at a Laura Secord. His mother managed the store, and they'd need help loading boxes of chocolates in the back at the busy Easter time. Decent store/company policy too -- all you could eat as long as customers couldn't see you eating. (Yes, you can get 'sick' of chocolate in just a few days if you work at it really hard, like I did! :lol: ). I don't expect the all-you-can-eat still applies in the stores.

• 2 weeks later...

Calling Bingo

There is nothing, except maybe bar tending that would be worst for a job.

I made a top 10 reasons why i hated it once after a long night of calling bingo and emailed it to a friend, i can't find it but i can almost remember it word for word

10) The chair i sit in giving my lower back pain

9) The chair i sit in giving me upper back pain

8) The old lady throwing stuff at me and calling me a son of a ------- ( not exactly what she said, she more or less implyed i was an expert of find the centre of a tootsie pop)

7) The microphone that never works so i have to yell everything out

6) The machine that barely works and gives me an electric shock every time i touch it

5) The machine that barely works and will stop working if i take my hand off it ( even though i am getting a sock every 30 seconds form it)

4) The little old lady that calls out Bingo after i have asked 3 times if there were any other winners and have all ready dropped the balls.

3) The fact that most of these old ladies would try and run me over after the game if they could get away with it (and some of them have tried)

2) The fact i have inhaled enough 2nd hand smoke to = 2 packs of cigarettes

1) The fact i called bingo for 3 hours, only made 30 bucks and had to give it all to my parents, so i basically just worked 3 hours for nothing!

I've had a lot of dirty jobs in my day (late 50's), but one of the worst jobs was pulling weeds by hand. In the morning,,,loaded up on the truck like cattle (maybe 15-20 of us), didn't know where or what we would be doing.

Ended up on a farm to pull weeds by hand. For some unknown reason, I got one of the dirtiest/weediest rows to weed. A supervisor (otherwise known as a jerk) would walk up and down the rows to make sure you got all of the weeds. That day I made (are you ready for this?) .90 cents. that's right 90 cents......my brother made $1.20. My brother and I went to the candy store and spent it all afterwards. :lol:

I'll never forget that.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

14 years at Flint Golf Club on the grounds crew. The members, surprisingly, were not as big an issue to me - didn't get too many complaints in my total time there. However, it was some of the guys I worked with, especially later in my time there, and some of the guys they had in management, who made my life miserable.

Those guys had one-track minds and could only talk about what was in that one track. They would not talk about anything else. Fortunately for me, for most of my time there, we had a mechanic who was really smart, and he and I used to talk about anything and everything. Our conversations flew over everyone else's heads and you know what, I didn't care.

At the end, they were hassling me over everything. The course superintendent was calling me worthless and every other kind of negative remark, and the assistant superintendent had his head in the sand and did not do anything to intervene when some of the crew were hassling me.

I was told that if I didn't like it, I could go on welfare as they believed it was all I was good for.

And when I started my graphic art and web design business, did they ever throw a fit, especially when I decided I wanted to go back to class after getting one degree and learn more about the graphic art and web design field.

Add to that the constant threats of violence, and finally, I had enough.

The memory of all of that is what keeps me going in graphic art and web design. Fortunately, I've had a couple of really good part-time work study jobs since then.