The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Sidney Crosby

Guest habs1952

The rumour was that Crosby has had some symptoms reoccur, specifically head aches. Shero didn't deny the fact that Crosby still has symptoms, he just said they haven't shut down his training. That being said, we don't know where Crosby is in terms of his training either. What we do know from the rumour and Shero's statement is that Crosby is still training, they don't know where he will be until training camp and he still has some symptoms from his concussion.

Honestly, I think if Crosby takes another hit to the head we could see his career cut short.

Honestly, I think if Crosby takes another hit to the head we could see his career cut short.

I was saying this to a buddy just yesterday at work.....when discussing the upcoming hockey pool.....BEWARE ;)

His career may be ending regardless.

Not looking good for him,working hard all summer,but still experiencing headaches & concuss symptoms being reported......still to date,not cleared for contact.

GM SHERO: CROSBY HAS NOT 'SHUT DOWN' OFFSEASON TRAINING

Amidst rumours that Sidney Crosby's lingering concussion issues may have him still sitting into the start of next season, Pittsburgh Penguins general manager Ray Shero told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review there's been nothing that has forced their star captain from shutting down his offseason training regimen.

But Shero did say that Crosby has had some recurrence of concussion symptoms.

"There are going to be some symptoms with this injury, but nothing where he's had to shut it down or anything," Shero told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review on Sunday, adding that he was in contact with Crosby over the weekend.

"He's pushed himself, which is good."

Crosby hasn't played in a game since Jan. 5 against the Tampa Bay Lightning. He was diagnosed with a concussion and has yet to be cleared for contact skating.

Shero told the Tribune-Review that clearance would not be sought by the player and team until at least a week before training camp, which opens Sept. 16.

"There's never been a situation where he's needed to be cleared to play," Shero explained.

The concern arose when NHL Home Ice radio producer Josh Rimer posted a message on Twitter that stated Crosby would not be ready to start the upcoming season.

On his Twitter page (@JoshRimerHockey), the message read: "Also hearing from 3 sources now that Sidney Crosby won't b ready 2 start season. I hope its not true because the NHL needs its best players!"

Shero did confirm that Crosby remains cleared to train regularly without contact. He has been working out at various local rinks in Halifax since mid-July.

The Penguins GM said Crosby will not be pushed to join the Penguins for on-ice practices at camp - or even when the regular season is scheduled to open for them on Oct. 6 in Vancouver.

"I'm only interested in making sure he's comfortable when he returns to play, end of story," Shero told the Tribune-Review. "I'm about the bigger picture with this thing."

Shero said Crosby has 'seemed good' during their conversations.

Whether you like him or not there's no denying that he's good for the game of hockey.

For certain......no question coach.

It'd be such a shame to lose him. You have to enjoy watching him play, unless it's against us of course. He hasn't even really reached his prime yet. The thought of a great player like him never being able to make a run at the record books is heartbreaking.

Potentially losing the game's best player wasn't enough to make the league really wake up and take notice of what's going on? They need to get all the old ex-goons out of hockey operations, or it'll keep happening.

In a way,I feel for him....all his talent/skill he's shown since entering the league,with so much more to show.....like any young kid growing up,having a dream & having it possibly ended so early on in his career....its a shame,really is.

He didn't ask or went looking for this to happen to him....no elite sports superstar ( or any player ) deserves going through this.

No good news available. As much as I dislike him it would be a shame to have his career possibly cut short & devastating for the NHL.

It is still far too far away to speculate on whether or not Penguins superstar Sidney Crosby will be ready for training camp.

That was the message from Crosby's agent, Pat Brisson, after reports out of Halifax had the 24-year-old cancelling on-ice training sessions, including ice-time he had booked at a local arena, after concussion symptoms were said to have returned.

Crosby is still suffering from lingering effects from a concussion he suffered in January, and has not played in an NHL game since Jan. 5.

"Sidney hasn't been shut down by anyone," Brisson said. "He has simply adjusted his summer program accordingly to the different needs for the appropriate recovery. Training camp is in three weeks from now. It is too premature to speculate all kinds of deliberate information at his point.

"Sidney will address the media at the appropriate time in order to give everyone an update. As far as I know training camp hasn't started yet."

Despite maintaining an offseason training regimen to this point, had yet to be cleared for contact skating.

This is the second time this summer Crosby's health has been questioned.

Less than a week ago, Penguins general manager Ray Shero needed to answer questions about his star player's recovery, when NHL Home Ice radio producer Josh Rimer posted a message on Twitter that stated Crosby would not be ready to start the upcoming season.

On his Twitter page, the message read: "Also hearing from 3 sources now that Sidney Crosby won't b ready 2 start season. I hope its not true because the NHL needs its best players!"

At that time, Shero said that Crosby had had some recurrence of concussion symptoms, though nothing had forced him to stop training. Shero confirmed that Crosby was cleared to train regularly without contact. He had been working out at various local rinks in Halifax since mid-July.

Shero said that clearance would not be sought by the player and team until at least a week before training camp, which opens Sept. 16.

He added that Crosby would not be pushed to join the Penguins for on-ice practices at camp - or even when the regular season is scheduled to open for them on Oct. 6 in Vancouver.

Really makes you wonder, right, if the Penguins had just kept him out of action for a week or two after the first hit would Crosby be in a different boat right now. That first hit he took, didn't look massive, but I remember his mouth guard coming out as he went down. You would think that their staff and doctor's would have told the coaches to scratch him for a few. Instead, he plays in Tampa three days later and takes a hit from behind that pushes his head into the boards.

Really makes you wonder, right, if the Penguins had just kept him out of action for a week or two after the first hit would Crosby be in a different boat right now.

Many do think this......betcha Sid does,now.<_<

"Sidney hasn't been shut down by anyone," Brisson said. "He has simply adjusted his summer program accordingly to the different needs for the appropriate recovery. Training camp is in three weeks from now. It is too premature to speculate all kinds of deliberate information at his point.

"Sidney will address the media at the appropriate time in order to give everyone an update. As far as I know training camp hasn't started yet."

To me this is just a camouflage job, and not a very good one at that.

Guest habs1952

Really makes you wonder, right, if the Penguins had just kept him out of action for a week or two after the first hit would Crosby be in a different boat right now. That first hit he took, didn't look massive, but I remember his mouth guard coming out as he went down. You would think that their staff and doctor's would have told the coaches to scratch him for a few. Instead, he plays in Tampa three days later and takes a hit from behind that pushes his head into the boards.

Yeah, that first hit wasn't brutal by any means and neither was the one by Hedman. I'm wondering if Crosby had a head injury before the hit by Steckel.