The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Sidney Crosby

Guest habs1952

I'm a lil suspicious about Sid's injuries/concussions.

It's really hard to say. There's always a chance that Crosby got levelled in a peewee game and had a concussion, then had one in Bantam AAA or something, all culminating with the Hedman/Steckel hits last year. Concussions are just bizzare. I've dealt with a minor one and it just doesn't follow the same progression as any other kind of injury. I'm a goalie, and my defenseman tripped a forward from the other team who was in on a breakaway. I covered the puck, and then the player from the other team came barreling into my head. I was dazed and woozy, I had to stop play for a little while until I felt better (we didn't have a 2nd goalie). I finished that game with a mild headache, and by the time I had got off the ice, got rehydrated and had a shower, I felt fine. I fell asleep in the car on the way home, and then when I woke up I couldn't look at bright lights and I had a bad headache. The next day it was a mild headache, and then it was quite strong again for the next two days. It just kept alternating between a horrible pounding headache and something that I didn't even notice if I was focussing on something else. Concussions are just odd and it's really hard to know when you will be 100% again. I was back to normal in about a week, my brother had a far worse concussion (got tripped and fell backwards, slamming his head into the ice in a mediocre goalie mask), and he had terrible symptoms (headache, vomiting) for about 2 or 3 days, and then it just faded away after. Every concussion is different, and every person feels differently. I think perhaps Crosby's concussion has come to a point where 10 years ago he'd be back on the ice again, but because of how much emphasis is being put on his concussion and his recovery, he won't come back until he's for sure he's at 100% again. There's also that if he comes back and suffers another concussion, it's probably game over for one of the best players of all time.

I know they want to be extra careful with sid, but I have a feeling it's being exaggerated in his case.

Not too often FS...but gonna have to disagree big time on this in bold .....I really believe that Sid is in bad shape here,with everything up to now.....and now there's other injury diagnosis coming out.

Yes,of course everyone wanted to take the cautious road with the NHL's poster child....and rightfully so.

I just think that no one really can understand all this.....but I for one think its not looking too good going forward for sid......I understand that with all the medical advance technology and all thats available.....but we may just possibly be seeing another Marc Savard situation.....hoping not.

Just my 2 cents ;)

I'm thinking Crosby may have had more damage done

This

Orthopedic surgeon Dr.Michael MCKEE was interviewed on prime time sports......with a lot of speculation on his part,as he never seen sid.....answering numerous questions from the sports panel,he did say that IF ...IF Sid needs surgery down the road ( neck injury..C1 C2 Vertebra )...it is a possible carreer injury.

Now,Gary Roberts & our own Eric Cole came back....but the only difference is that in their cases...is the injury was lower....sid's is upper neck injury.

So,for what its worth.....either way,not sounding very positive...................then again,were all speculating at this time.

Horton was leveled in last seasons finals, joined his team in October-had to be taken off the ice on a stretcher. Weber suffered a concussion and is already back, alfie concussed and back, Giroux concussed and back, Riemer (who ha had multiple concussions) is back, Miller run over by lucic and he's back.

Mr Crosby who made it to the bench on his own (in both situations-the hedman hit didn't look bad at all to me, no charging, head wasn't the target), misses almost a full season.

I know they want to be extra careful with sid, but I have a feeling it's being exaggerated in his case. Savard had multiple concussions and it was evident that he was in real trouble. Had sid's concussions been like Savards, I could understand the lengthy time off. I feel there's more to it than just the concussions.

The concussion he suffered in the winter classic (Knuble?), was a pretty hard hit to his head. But the rome hit on Horton imo was worse.

Perhaps, but at the same time, these sort of things aren't so cut-and-dried as typical bone, ligament, or muscle injuries. It can be so different for every person. Who knows how many potential concussions or how much damage had been done prior to them having to sit out - ie. unreported concussions, hits to the head, etc.

Paging Dr. Recchi. Paging Dr. Recchi.

YES...you called?

116008757-e1321813168928-1.jpg

Sid needs to pull a Chris Pronger move.....for his own good.<_<

Guest habs1952

Sid needs to pull a Chris Pronger move.....for his own good.<_<

Man, I'm 59 years old and the only thing I miss is skating and playing hockey. I can see how a competitive player wants to get back on the ice. But your right. He should take the rest of the year off but the damage is still done. The next blow to his head could be life altering.

Man, I'm 59 years old and the only thing I miss is skating and playing hockey. I can see how a competitive player wants to get back on the ice. But your right. He should take the rest of the year off but the damage is still done. The next blow to his head could be life altering.

I do think it would be the wise thing to do....in calling it a season.....for his sake......and career.

I can see how a competitive player wants to get back on the ice.

I agree...but he needs to look at long term.

I'm pretty sure the last two were pretty life altering.

Guest habs1952

I'm pretty sure the last two were pretty life altering.

In the context of missing parts of 2 hockey seasons yes, I guess you could say they have changed his life but I'm thinking about his mental health a few years down the road. As it stands now he will hopefully live without any problems down the road but from now on each time he bruises his brain, especially the same area, he is going to have difficulties. Keith Primeau is a good example of someone suffering from post concussion syndrome. He's been out of the game for about 7 years but is still having issues.

Keith Primeau is a good example of someone suffering from post concussion syndrome. He's been out of the game for about 7 years but is still having issues.

Among others also...yes he is.

Crosby-285x280.jpg

Sidney Crosby joined his Pittsburgh Penguins teammates for their Monday morning practice at the Bell Centre.

Crosby will not be in uniform, however, when the Penguins face the Canadiens Tuesday evening.

and he feels he's making progress.

As I mentioned many times...foolish move he he comes back this season....IMO.

Pittsburgh Penguins star Sidney Crosby skated with his teammates for the first time in more than two months Friday but remains bothered by concussion-like symptoms. Crosby says he's "getting better" but hasn't been able to shake some of the issues that have plagued him since he returned to the injured list in early December.

Full Story.

Pittsburgh Penguins star Sidney Crosby skated with his teammates for the first time in more than two months Friday but remains bothered by concussion-like symptoms. Crosby says he's "getting better" but hasn't been able to shake some of the issues that have plagued him since he returned to the injured list in early December.

Full Story.

I'm rooting for him being a fellow maritimer and all :)

• 2 weeks later...

He needs to take time & rest. :rolleyes:

Guest habs1952

When he returns again, how long will he last this time? Playoffs are coming for some teams.

I think he's making a huge mistake coming back this season. He's only been symptom free for a short time but that doesn't mean his brain has healed, if it ever does. According to a brain surgeon in Toronto one more brain injury and he's done and he'll probably never be the same again. Contact in practice cannot be compared to contact in a game. Your team mates are well aware of your situation and treat you easy but your opponents in a game don't care.