The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

The Positive Thread 2011-12

WinnipegJet

I enjoyed being skeptical of my team this year.

Every year I usually try to do my best to stick up for my team and stay positive but last year in the off season I could see that Montreal wasn't going to do anything to change their destiny. And really, there was no chance for them to make the playoffs. So, I figured that I would just be honest in my assessment of their play and of the players this year.

It was fun to hear members on the board this year preaching all season about what a great player Scott Gomez is. And also, what a great player Tomas Kaberle is and with such conviction LOL.

I would laugh and think OMG is this what I usually sound like? Do people really think we can trade Kaberle for a first round draft pick? I think everybody understands now, that the only draft pick that would be moved for Kaberle is our own :lol: but it was funny to hear the logic at the time.

But that was last year and now it's time for me to return to being positive.

Mainly because they're giving me things to be positive about this year. A new front office,(hopefully a good coach), good fresh young talent coming up through the system and a big fat draft pick. I feel like we traveled threw a void but we are coming out the other side and we can see light at the end of the tunnel.

Go HABS Go! Go Bergevin Go!!

I'm not sure if everyone will agree that this belongs in the positive thread but I do.

I meant to comment on this weeks ago.

After Montreal hired Bergevin, I started to look for articles and opinions on him like everyone else. I found an article on line that came from a reporter(can't remember his highly unimportant name)who writes for the Toronto sun.

He noted that bergevin said that he liked the fact that the Canadiens had a good core group and that he didn't have a team that needed to be blown up. If memory serves me correctly the reporter finished off saying, after a season where Montreal came in last in the East Bergevin must be the only one who believes that. It made me mad because it was obvious that this toronto sun "reporter" couldn't see the forest for the LEAFS!

But it also made me mad because if it wasn't for all the drama this year and a bunch of bad luck, this awful team could have mad the playoffs. And I thought how often does an NHL team finish the year in last place of their conference, with 78 points anyway?

So I went on line and looked and the answer is never!!!!

Here are some stats. I went back to five years before the lockout just in case some think that there may be a discrepancy.

YEAR CONFERENCE LAST PLACE POINTS

2012 East Montreal 78

West Columbus 65

2011 East Florida 72

West Edmonton 62

2010 East Toronto 74

West Edmonton 62

2009 East Long Island 61

West Colorado 69

2008 East Tampa Bay 71

West LA 71

2007 East Phily 56

West Phoenix 67

2006 East Pittsburgh 58

West St. Louis 57

2004 East Pittsburgh 58

West Chicago 59

2003 East Carolina 61

West Columbus 69

2002 East Atlanta 39

West Columbus 57

2001 East Long Island 52

West Anaheim 66

2000 East Atlanta 39

West Nashville 70

There were a few years where a bottom team approached 78 points. If you look back far enough one bottom team even got 77 points.

But, there are plenty of years that our last place position in the East of 78 points could have landed us in 8th last to 10th last over all.

So for me, this year can be considered a positive because we get a draft pick that a team who collects 78 points doesn't deserve.

And whoever that reporter is who reminded me that misery loves company will find himself all alone, once again in the near future!! :D

I am positively excited about the season to come

Even though summers not halfway done

We have a lot of new faces yet to meet

I hope they all will be good to greet

About the future I feel great

For next season I cannot wait

There will be some faces that will be missed

And some new ones waiting to be kissed

By the magic it is,to play at the Bell

Who they will be we just can't tell

I really don't care what happened in the past

Even if the previous season we came last

All that just doesn't matter any more

I really hate the word before

I am looking forward to see our HABS shine

To bask in the light of this team of mine.

GO HABS GO :lol::lol:

I am positively excited about the season to come

Even though summers not halfway done

We have a lot of new faces yet to meet

I hope they all will be good to greet

About the future I feel great

For next season I cannot wait

There will be some faces that will be missed

And some new ones waiting to be kissed

By the magic it is,to play at the Bell

Who they will be we just can't tell

I really don't care what happened in the past

Even if the previous season we came last

All that just doesn't matter any more

I really hate the word before

I am looking forward to see our HABS shine

To bask in the light of this team of mine.

GO HABS GO :lol::lol:

Nicely put Maddie :)

• 2 weeks later...

The draft is only 13 days away and Hab fans won't have to wait too long to see who we pick once it starts.

This is nice for a change, but I don't want to get used to it. I'm not a fan of waiting for roughly 2 hours for our pick to happen. the positive with picking 3rd overall, though, is we're likely to get a top-notch player out of it :)

This is nice for a change, but I don't want to get used to it. I'm not a fan of waiting for roughly 2 hours for our pick to happen. the positive with picking 3rd overall, though, is we're likely to get a top-notch player out of it :)

We won't get a franchise player like Sid or Stamkos, but we could land ourselves a career 30 goal scorer. I'd rather have a few 30 goal scorers throughout our top 6, than one 50 goal scorer and a few 15-25 goal scorers to fill out our top 6. When the talent is even distributed through our top 6, it's a much harder to defend against than one 50 goal scorer.

We won't get a franchise player like Sid or Stamkos, but we could land ourselves a career 30 goal scorer. I'd rather have a few 30 goal scorers throughout our top 6, than one 50 goal scorer and a few 15-25 goal scorers to fill out our top 6. When the talent is even distributed through our top 6, it's a much harder to defend against than one 50 goal scorer.

I agree. I'd much rather have a bunch of good players than one really good player. It makes your team much more balanced and much more deadly offensively and/or defensively.

Hiring 2 potential future coaches and putting them in appropriate roles: AHL head coach and Assistant coach.

If I were Gallant I'd try to learn French within the next 2 years because that's when Mike Therrien's style starts to reach its best before date, between he and Lefebvre we're building depth in the coaching ranks, I like it.

Archived