The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#40 Nathan Beaulieu 2012-2013

AK-1

You've been very harsh when crticizing our prospects...

I remember you said Tinordi was one of the worst defenseman in Hamilton when he got called up, yet he played great for Montreal.

This is a young team still trying to adjust. Practically three quarters of the team are AHL rookies.

I expected them to have a difficult season this year, especialy when almost the whole team needs to adjust to the pro level.

Notice how lately the team has been playing much better?

For instance:

Beaulieu has 9 points in his last 13 games, 6 points in his last 6 games.

All part of the adjustment process, the team keeps getting better as the season rolls on.

Sure, there's nothing wrong with criticism, but saying a player has been the worst defenseman on a team still trying to adjust (and he clearly has not been the worse, I could name a few who have been...) is a little harsh.

Thats my two cents.

Well, it's true.

Tinordi was struggling reading plays, was weak on the puck, and had trouble timing his hits to the point where he was throwing himself out of the play.

Beaulieu is probably the most frustrating player to watch in Hamilton. Here's someone that has a pretty good shot and can skate with the puck very well through the neutral zone but he has no vision as to what he needs to do with the puck once he gets to the offensive zone. It's been the same problem with him all season long and I'm not sure why the coaches aren't helping him out with this because it's always resulting in the other team gaining possession of the puck.

Point or no points, it's a glaring problem that hasn't been fixed through 62 games. Now he's been called up to likely play ahead of Kaberle which doesn't make sense considering where the Habs are in the standings.

I think one of Beulieu or Tinordi will be part of a trade for a Top End Deeman

Beulieu or Tinordi, another prospect, second round pick , kaberle

to Calgary...We can then use our buyout on another player if needed at season end.

Jay Bouwmeester to Montreal

Good god no. Boumeester is completetly over rated. I'd rather develop Tinordi/Bealieu

Good god no. Boumeester is completetly over rated. I'd rather develop Tinordi/Bealieu

He's actually become really underrated, kind of like Hamrlik did when he was with us but that's OK. Not saying I'd make a move for him. Look at the minutes he's playing and the matchups he gets. Exactly what we need.

He plays 25 plus big minutes every night, I don't think he has missed a game in 7 seasons. He is a great skater with great size. The problem with Boumeester is everybody thought he would be getting 50 or 60 points a season, 15 plus goals, play against the other teams best and kill penalities...

He does play against the other teams best, he is really good at killing penalties, he can play the power play, he is still only 29 years of age, no he hasn't been scoring 15 plus a year or 50 or 60 points and now he is underated because of that.

He really a well rounded big deman who logs tons of minutes, he does everything quite well and would fit into what we have here very nicely. You could reduce Markov minutes substantially. Him and Subban in my books would be so sweet together. I think they would fit like a glove..

He is a top 2 or 3 deeman on any team in the league who can log a ton of minutes, and help out in all areas of the game.

It's not like we're going to win it all this year or next, this is a multi-year thing. Trading promising talent for a guy whose prime years we'll burn trying to build up skill doesn't sound like a great idea to me.

I'd much rather see how Tinordi and Beaulieu do over the next few years and reassess when the team is actually contending. I'd be exceptionally unhappy if Tinordi or Beaulieu (particularly Tinordi) are traded in a misguided attempt to win now.

Well, it's true.

Tinordi was struggling reading plays, was weak on the puck, and had trouble timing his hits to the point where he was throwing himself out of the play.

Beaulieu is probably the most frustrating player to watch in Hamilton. Here's someone that has a pretty good shot and can skate with the puck very well through the neutral zone but he has no vision as to what he needs to do with the puck once he gets to the offensive zone. It's been the same problem with him all season long and I'm not sure why the coaches aren't helping him out with this because it's always resulting in the other team gaining possession of the puck.

Point or no points, it's a glaring problem that hasn't been fixed through 62 games. Now he's been called up to likely play ahead of Kaberle which doesn't make sense considering where the Habs are in the standings.

I don't want you to think I was bashing your opinion or anything, I respect it.

You probably do know more on the subject than I do.

I'd have some interest in Bouwmeester, and I also believe he could be a good fit here on the ice. He's still young enough that he could have a career revival in the right situation. That said, the 6.8M cap hit would make him the highest-paid guy on the team, and that's a heavy over-payment. There's no way I would take on an awful cap hit like that AND give up a top prospect for him. Given the contract, I'd offer maybe a 3rd round pick and a mid-level prospect (like a Leblanc or Ellis). No way I'm parting with Tinordi or Beaulieu for J-Bo.

I don't want you to think I was bashing your opinion or anything, I respect it.

You probably do know more on the subject than I do.

I've just been saying what I see and what I think of things. It may seem like I'm hard on the guys in Hamilton but it's just frustrating seeing the terrible coaching with Lefebvre. I've been attending Bulldogs games for the 17 years they've been here and this is the first season where I have not seen any improvement from almost every player. This is supposed to be a major developmental stage for prospects but it just isn't happening with this coaching staff.

I hope Beaulieu enjoys his stay. I can see Therien dressing seven defenceman in case he struggles. The way the Rangers are scoring he should be okay.

I'd have some interest in Bouwmeester, and I also believe he could be a good fit here on the ice. He's still young enough that he could have a career revival in the right situation. That said, the 6.8M cap hit would make him the highest-paid guy on the team, and that's a heavy over-payment. There's no way I would take on an awful cap hit like that AND give up a top prospect for him. Given the contract, I'd offer maybe a 3rd round pick and a mid-level prospect (like a Leblanc or Ellis). No way I'm parting with Tinordi or Beaulieu for J-Bo.

No way is Bouwmeester worth 6 million. I can't imagine the complaints that would be on this site if he was here. . He has not shown anything in Calgary and is not better than Diaz or Emelin. Our assistant GM Dudley passed on Nash to take Bouwmeester when he was in Florida and we know how long he lasted there. I don't see Dudley recommending we take him at this price.

to Calgary...We can then use our buyout on another player if needed at season end.

Even though we are defense prospect heavy, I would think that Bergevin would trade Pateryn, Ellis, Dietz, and Thrower before they would ship out Beaulieu or Tinordi (Our two most valuable D prospects). However, it really does depend on the player that we would be trading for. If the player we are getting in return is neither a top 6 forward n'or a top 2 defenseman, I doubt Beaulieu or Tinordi would even be in the conversation. I'm not saying that Beaulieu or Tinordi are untouchable or wont be traded though. It would just have to be for an upper tier impact player for them to be a part of the package.

I would not touch Bouwmeester with a 10 foot pole, that would be a really bad trade that would haunt us for years. This is exactly how you kill the future of an organization.

I've just been saying what I see and what I think of things. It may seem like I'm hard on the guys in Hamilton but it's just frustrating seeing the terrible coaching with Lefebvre. I've been attending Bulldogs games for the 17 years they've been here and this is the first season where I have not seen any improvement from almost every player. This is supposed to be a major developmental stage for prospects but it just isn't happening with this coaching staff.

You're not the first person I've heard being critical of Lefebvre's work in Hamilton. I don't watch Bulldog games, so I can't comment, but if you're correct, it's definitely an organizational concern.

I would not touch Bouwmeester with a 10 foot pole, that would be a really bad trade that would haunt us for years. This is exactly how you kill the future of an organization.

A bit over dramatic, no? He would be the 2nd best defenseman on the team (after Subban), and he's only got one more year on his contract anyway. His contract would be up at the same time as Gionta, Markov, Diaz, Emelin, and Subban, we'd have plenty of money to throw around if we want to keep J-Bo or extend Subban long term, and if Gionta and Markov are still around they'll be getting big pay cuts. Don't get too caught up in the cap hit itself, the specifics of the contract and our cap situation make it less of an issue.

The only issue is that instead of a rental player we'd have to make an actual hockey trade, but personally I'd be willing to do something around Tinordi or Beaulieu if that's what it takes. I'm not saying we need to push hard on it, but I would love Bouwmeester here. There'd have to be some salary going the other way to fit him in this year though, that's the only issue (because Gomez's cap hit still counts for this season).

As for Beaulieu himself, glad to get a chance to see him work at the NHL level. That, and he provides some offense that's been sorely needed on the 2nd wave ever since Diaz got hurt and we decided Kaberle wasn't going to play in Montreal ever again.

Wouldn't mind Bouwmeester at all, but would definitely mind the assets it would take to get him in a Habs uni at the trade deadline.

Agree, I think this year probably isn't going to work because it'll have to be a real hockey trade instead of Leblanc+2nd rounder or something.

Wouldn't mind Bouwmeester at all, but would definitely mind the assets it would take to get him in a Habs uni at the trade deadline.

I don't know. Did you see what they got for Iginla? Yeah, he's older and his contract is expiring, but he's still a 30-40 goal scorer. Might be able to fleece Feaster again. It possibly might be worth it to kick tires and maybe give up a 2nd round draft pick in 2013(ours, which should be relatively late in the second round), and one of Ellis/Bournival/Holland. Maybe give them Kaberle too. Worth dreaming, right?

A bit over dramatic, no? He would be the 2nd best defenseman on the team (after Subban), and he's only got one more year on his contract anyway. His contract would be up at the same time as Gionta, Markov, Diaz, Emelin, and Subban, we'd have plenty of money to throw around if we want to keep J-Bo or extend Subban long term, and if Gionta and Markov are still around they'll be getting big pay cuts. Don't get too caught up in the cap hit itself, the specifics of the contract and our cap situation make it less of an issue.

The only issue is that instead of a rental player we'd have to make an actual hockey trade, but personally I'd be willing to do something around Tinordi or Beaulieu if that's what it takes. I'm not saying we need to push hard on it, but I would love Bouwmeester here. There'd have to be some salary going the other way to fit him in this year though, that's the only issue (because Gomez's cap hit still counts for this season).

As for Beaulieu himself, glad to get a chance to see him work at the NHL level. That, and he provides some offense that's been sorely needed on the 2nd wave ever since Diaz got hurt and we decided Kaberle wasn't going to play in Montreal ever again.

Not really. The trade mentioned giving Tinordi or Beaulieu, another prospect and a draft pick. So you'd end up giving 3 prospects. People seem to forget we lost a certain Ryan McDonagh in the Gomez trade (now I agree Gomez vs Bouwmeester isn't the same thing but still). Imagine the team we'd have now with McDonagh in the lineup. I'm not even mentioning his overpaid contract (Bouw.). Don't be so fast to give up our young players.

Not really. The trade mentioned giving Tinordi or Beaulieu, another prospect and a draft pick. So you'd end up giving 3 prospects. People seem to forget we lost a certain Ryan McDonagh in the Gomez trade (now I agree Gomez vs Bouwmeester isn't the same thing but still). Imagine the team we'd have now with McDonagh in the lineup. I'm not even mentioning his overpaid contract (Bouw.). Don't be so fast to give up our young players.

I don't think anyone is forgetting about McDonagh. The difference between Gomez and Bouwmeester is that even if Bouwmeester were to come here and fall off a cliff like Gomez did, we're out of the contract pretty quick. I was thinking the trade was one of Tinordi or Beaulieu for J-Bo straight up though, which is a different story. As I said, I don't really want to do it this year because of the amount of assets we'd have to get rid of, but I don't think it would be a trade that would set the franchise back for years.

Guest habs1952

Habs seem to be giving a taste of the NHL to prospects who may be ready next year. I think the feeling is that with Diaz out and no clear will to play Kaberle, they think the best way to use that 6th D man spot is to get an idea of how NHL-ready each guy is and to give them each something to shoot for coming out of camp next year. Beaulieu clearly has the pedigree to be an NHL defenceman some day, so the Habs will give him a look now while they can.

I think the Habs also need to know who could step up if one or two D-men go down, especially after the trade deadline and during the playoffs. It's not inconceivable we lose one or two D-men the rest of the way.

Thought Beaulieu looked okay for his debut. Was a little slow at making plays with the puck, which you see with a lot of prospects early in their careers. But he skated well and he moved the puck reasonably well when he had time. Thought his game looked better as the night progressed too. He needs to put on some muscle and he needs to work on his gamespeed, but while I'm not sure he's ready to play in the NHL right away, I think he has the tools to be good in 2-3 seasons.

My thoughts after tonights game are that he showed tremendous fluidity with his skating, and showed great vision. He did not look half bad defensively either, although he was not really put in critical defensive situations. There's a reason he was played 17 minutes in this game, he obviously really impressed Therrien. Great debut for the kid.

I don't know. Did you see what they got for Iginla? Yeah, he's older and his contract is expiring, but he's still a 30-40 goal scorer. Might be able to fleece Feaster again. It possibly might be worth it to kick tires and maybe give up a 2nd round draft pick in 2013(ours, which should be relatively late in the second round), and one of Ellis/Bournival/Holland. Maybe give them Kaberle too. Worth dreaming, right?

The difference is that there was no way around losing Iginla for the Flames, and he was in the driver's seat the whole time. There wasn't a lot Feaster could do. It's like apples and oranges with Bouwmeester, if you ask me. That said, it would be much easier to get him during the offseason, although as mentioned above, he would be great for a playoff run this year if we didn't have to make a huge sacrifice.