The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#40 Nathan Beaulieu 2012-2013

AK-1

A bit over dramatic, no? He would be the 2nd best defenseman on the team (after Subban), and he's only got one more year on his contract anyway. His contract would be up at the same time as Gionta, Markov, Diaz, Emelin, and Subban, we'd have plenty of money to throw around if we want to keep J-Bo or extend Subban long term, and if Gionta and Markov are still around they'll be getting big pay cuts. Don't get too caught up in the cap hit itself, the specifics of the contract and our cap situation make it less of an issue.

The only issue is that instead of a rental player we'd have to make an actual hockey trade, but personally I'd be willing to do something around Tinordi or Beaulieu if that's what it takes. I'm not saying we need to push hard on it, but I would love Bouwmeester here. There'd have to be some salary going the other way to fit him in this year though, that's the only issue (because Gomez's cap hit still counts for this season).

As for Beaulieu himself, glad to get a chance to see him work at the NHL level. That, and he provides some offense that's been sorely needed on the 2nd wave ever since Diaz got hurt and we decided Kaberle wasn't going to play in Montreal ever again.

No he was spot on.. that trade would butcher the hopes of the team.. you're giving up two future top 3 dman for an over aged over paid number 4 guy.... i honestly have no clue how you think JB would be better then Gorges Markov and even Emelin..

No he was spot on.. that trade would butcher the hopes of the team.. you're giving up two future top 3 dman for an over aged over paid number 4 guy.... i honestly have no clue how you think JB would be better then Gorges Markov and even Emelin..

Well now I have no idea what the proposal was. I said one of Beaulieu or Tinordi. Future top 3 dmen is a bit quick as well, they're nowhere near proven. Trading one of Beaulieu or Tinordi for Bouwmeester is not going to turn us into Columbus. I'm not saying we need to pull out all the stops to get him, but I'd be willing to kick the tires. I probably wouldn't do it for Beaulieu but I might for Tinordi.

Markov would still be better offensively, particularly on the PP, but I have little doubt JBo would otherwise be better than those guys.

Having said that, I'd hesitate to give up and decent young assets to aquire him.

Wouldn't mind Bouwmeester at all, but would definitely mind the assets it would take to get him in a Habs uni at the trade deadline.

He's still a great player, but imho that contract is a killer. And like you, I dont want to give up prospects for him. I certainly wouldnt do it at the trade deadline - thats when you overpay for experience...and the guy's never played a single playoff game in his NHL career!

As I've said, would lookd much longer at Yandle than at J-Bo. Rumor is that the Coyotes want a 1st + an NHL-ready forward + a D prospect. In comparison, Flames are supposedly looking at a 1st +/- a prospect. But in the end, with Yandle, you get a better player, a younger player, and a guy who's on a more reasonable contract and locked in at that price for a few years. If we really felt Beaulieu and/or Tinordi was ready to make the jump in the next year (which it seems like we might be), then I'd try to make the plunge for Yandle and subsequently look to deal Markov at the draft. With Markov, you have a guy who's still in the top 5 in D scoring and so should have almost as much value as J-Bo (older player but lower cap hit and better offensive numbers). The balance of all that would leave you with Yandle and Beaulieu and down Markov and maybe a 1st or prospect less.

I really liked Nathan's game against the Canes. Very 'heads up' and I love his skating

Solid game. The only time I noticed the rookie jitters was shortly after we scored our second goal. He made a nice rush up the ice but the pass was ahead of Patches and resulted in an icing. This was right after they were annoucing the goal and he registerred his first NHL point though, so his adrenaline must have been going through the roof. B)

I really liked Nathan's game against the Canes. Very 'heads up' and I love his skating

Canes was his best game.

He definitely needs to, as I say, "bend his knees, in mucking for loose pucks". He gets pushed off / away easily. You can't go into the corner standing straight up with your knees locked ... not in the NHL anyways.

But that'll all come.

I know he is only young but not sure he has what it takes to be an NHL player. Really shyed away from any board play.

As a deeman you cannot do that at the NHL level, its fine in Junior when your a good skater and he is he is a good good skater but not at this level.

IF we had a shot at a top 3 deeman already playing in the NHL and he was needed to be part of the trade, I would have no problem including him...

I know he is only young but not sure he has what it takes to be an NHL player. Really shyed away from any board play.

As a deeman you cannot do that at the NHL level, its fine in Junior when your a good skater and he is he is a good good skater but not at this level.

IF we had a shot at a top 3 deeman already playing in the NHL and he was needed to be part of the trade, I would have no problem including him...

I think I might too, especially if that D-man was a righty. We have good stock coming up in Tinordi, and with Diaz and Emelin, Subban and Gorges, I think we're in a pretty good position on D for the future.

I couldn't disagree more, his stock to me is much more important then Tinordi's. Once he adapts to the NHL he'll be the missing piece to our D core.

I'd be fine with keeping and developing Beaulieu, or trading Beaulieu. It depends on the situation. He's gotten a taste of the NHL game, but I would be surprised if he got regular playing time with the Habs before 2014-2015. I just hope the Dogs are better next season. He could be a Marc-Andre Bergeron or he could be an Andrei Markov. I think it's too early to tell.

The highlight of my evening: seeing how Beaulieu's face totally lit up when he "saw" the play to make on Eller's second goal. I was sitting at ice level almost straight in front of where he was, saw him hesitate then it was like in the cartoons, I could almost see the light bulb above his head. I may sound trivial but it was pretty special when it happened :)

Guest habs1952

The highlight of my evening: seeing how Beaulieu's face totally lit up when he "saw" the play to make on Eller's second goal. I was sitting at ice level almost straight in front of where he was, saw him hesitate then it was like in the cartoons, I could almost see the light bulb above his head. I may sound trivial but it was pretty special when it happened :)

Not to me. Considering how little time players have to think of the play they want to make it's nice to see he reacted quickly.

Like this? :)