The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Mathieu Darche

I agree, I'm just not as enamored with White as most people never mind the injury situation.. Darche has done nothing for me but if our D gets healthy White's competition will be against having 7 DMen dressed and what a guy like Weber can bring on the PP and as extra insurance should a DMan go down in game.

I'm not sure we'll ever get a fully healthy line-up, so maybe this doesn't become an issue, but I look at the line-up and I see a top 10 set of forwards who aren't going to be removed from the roster (Cammy, Pleks, Gio, Pacman, Cole, Gomez, AK, Eller, DD, Moen). A guy like Eller or DD might get pulled during a slump but it'll be their jobs to lose.

That would leave two spots for White, Darche, Nokelainen, Weber, or Diaz. I like White. I think he is the only guy amongst our forwards who could fight any night and not get the snot kicked out of him. He consistently goes to the net. He hits everything. And he has some amount of scoring ability in a limited role. To me, he adds elements we don't have elsewhere in the line-up and he's the guy I'd pick out first to keep. Nokelainen is a right-handed center, so he also adds an extra element. I can see the utility in having a Weber or Diaz (I don't think it's a given Weber will be kept over Diaz) against certain teams, but if you have Markov, Campoli, Subban, and Spacek, I don't know that you absolutely need to have a 5th guy in unless the PP is really struggling. It's not like the PP is any good right now with those guys IN the line-up, so why waste a spot on one of them when you can add a guy with physicality or PK/face-off skills?

At no part in this discussion do I see Darche fitting in. Last year, he was the guy who scored from the front of the net, but we have Pacman and Cole this year who can do that job with better skill. Darche also provides versatility and can play any line for short stretches, but with better depth this year, we just don't have that same need. I think he ultimately has 10-15 games to prove himself, but if Markov/White/AK/Campoli/Spacek/Gill start to come back and there aren't other injuries, he's a guy who's going to be cast aside to make room.

I'm not sure we'll ever get a fully healthy line-up, so maybe this doesn't become an issue, but I look at the line-up and I see a top 10 set of forwards who aren't going to be removed from the roster (Cammy, Pleks, Gio, Pacman, Cole, Gomez, AK, Eller, DD, Moen). A guy like Eller or DD might get pulled during a slump but it'll be their jobs to lose.

That would leave two spots for White, Darche, Nokelainen, Weber, or Diaz. I like White. I think he is the only guy amongst our forwards who could fight any night and not get the snot kicked out of him. He consistently goes to the net. He hits everything. And he has some amount of scoring ability in a limited role. To me, he adds elements we don't have elsewhere in the line-up and he's the guy I'd pick out first to keep. Nokelainen is a right-handed center, so he also adds an extra element. I can see the utility in having a Weber or Diaz (I don't think it's a given Weber will be kept over Diaz) against certain teams, but if you have Markov, Campoli, Subban, and Spacek, I don't know that you absolutely need to have a 5th guy in unless the PP is really struggling. It's not like the PP is any good right now with those guys IN the line-up, so why waste a spot on one of them when you can add a guy with physicality or PK/face-off skills?

At no part in this discussion do I see Darche fitting in. Last year, he was the guy who scored from the front of the net, but we have Pacman and Cole this year who can do that job with better skill. Darche also provides versatility and can play any line for short stretches, but with better depth this year, we just don't have that same need. I think he ultimately has 10-15 games to prove himself, but if Markov/White/AK/Campoli/Spacek/Gill start to come back and there aren't other injuries, he's a guy who's going to be cast aside to make room.

I'm replying in the lines thread because the only parts of your post that I want to reply to are unrelated to your Darche points, which I agree with.

5:55 today. When Ryan White returns I wouldn't mind seeing Darche have a few nights in the pressbox. He's not providing offence like he did last season and doesn't really add a whole lot to the 4th line. I think Ryan would be more valuable to have out there.

he was a lil better last game, but yeah until he can finish again I wouldnt mind it. I think with the acquisition of Cole he became more expendable as we dont need him infront of the net on the PP anymore.

I'm disappointed that he hasn't brought more, he's a sentimental favorite of mine because of his educational/lunch pail background and I think his constant presence in front of the media deflects a huge amount of pressure from his younger teammates. I just want to see a nice, honest, thoughtful and humble hometown guy do well.

Mathieu, We're all pulling for you, take advantage of living the dream!

Mostly invisible yes, very disappointing so far. He's not bringing any body checks/speed/energy or anything at all so far to that 4th line.

he should be in the east coast league at best, but due to our brain trust he has a one way NHL contract

Maybe Mathieu would be a better asset coming out of the pressbox to fill a void rather than taking a permanent spot in the line-up.

Until White can return at 100% we are unfortunately stuck with this (barring a trade).

As I said in the State of the Habs thread, it would be nice to try something different on the 4th line. It's hard to make significant changes in the top 6 mid-season, but it's pretty easy to shake up the 4th line. When we brought in Blunden, even that small change had a nice impact. We could try him again, or we could go for a guy that could bring a little more energy to the ice, like Dumont or Conboy. At this point, Darche is bringing no value to the squad, so even if we're giving another 4th line player 6-7 minutes a game, it could be more beneficial to us and give the rest of the forwards a spark. I just don't see the same energy from Darche I saw last year, and maybe that's cause he's not hungry enough to keep his job, maybe that's because of bad chemistry with the linemates he's been given. Either way, I wouldn't mind seeing someone else get a shot here. Heck, I'd even go so far as to giving Steve Begin another shot if he were healthy, but until White gets back, it'll take someone with more energy than Darche to fill that hole.

As I said in the State of the Habs thread, it would be nice to try something different on the 4th line. It's hard to make significant changes in the top 6 mid-season, but it's pretty easy to shake up the 4th line. When we brought in Blunden, even that small change had a nice impact. We could try him again, or we could go for a guy that could bring a little more energy to the ice, like Dumont or Conboy. At this point, Darche is bringing no value to the squad, so even if we're giving another 4th line player 6-7 minutes a game, it could be more beneficial to us and give the rest of the forwards a spark. I just don't see the same energy from Darche I saw last year, and maybe that's cause he's not hungry enough to keep his job, maybe that's because of bad chemistry with the linemates he's been given. Either way, I wouldn't mind seeing someone else get a shot here. Heck, I'd even go so far as to giving Steve Begin another shot if he were healthy, but until White gets back, it'll take someone with more energy than Darche to fill that hole.

Maybe he misses Halpern, they clicked real well last year.

Id much rather see Conboy and give him a shot, he impressed me the pre-season before this one. I was disappointed to hear he was injured.

Maybe he misses Halpern, they clicked real well last year.

Id much rather see Conboy and give him a shot, he impressed me the pre-season before this one. I was disappointed to hear he was injured.

I'm guessing it was when Cole sent him flying head first into the boards during the pre-season habs vs habs game.

• 1 month later...

Moen is this year's Darche. Darche is this year's... Pyatt?

I know, but Pyatt was always working hard. Not that darche isn't, I just barely notice him like I used to notice when Pyatt was on the ice.

Well, not so much, but I can recall more seeing pyatt last year than Darche this year. I think bringing in Cole and Bourque with the emergence of Pacman has caused his role to diminish completely. WE don't need him infront of the net on the PP anymore, and now were getting what other teams got, a fringe NHL grinder with good defensive ability but can be replaced by bigger grittier guys if need be.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't really like Darche in 2009-2010, his goal-scoring production in 2010-2011 kind of turned him into Steve Begin 2.0 as far as fan support went, but now that he's back to not really doing much... I'm kind of remembering why I disliked him in 2009-2010. I wonder if anyone would want him before the deadline? I figure no, but I could be wrong.

I didn't really like Darche in 2009-2010, his goal-scoring production in 2010-2011 kind of turned him into Steve Begin 2.0 as far as fan support went, but now that he's back to not really doing much... I'm kind of remembering why I disliked him in 2009-2010. I wonder if anyone would want him before the deadline? I figure no, but I could be wrong.

like I said before, were not using him in the same role as last season, so hes back to being a fringe NHL player that other teams had before. He was great last season on the PP and infront of the net, but unfortunately we have other people who can score more than he does. Hes a great team guy but I just don't think theres much room for him anymore.

I wonder if Gauthier told the coaches to give Darche all this increased ice time and opportunities so maybe someone will offer the habs a 6th round pick at the deadline instead of a 7th lol.. Really see no use in having him in the lineup, a fourth line player who cant score or fight. He is a home town boy though and has gave the habs all he has every night

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if Gauthier told the coaches to give Darche all this increased ice time and opportunities so maybe someone will offer the habs a 6th round pick at the deadline instead of a 7th lol.. Really see no use in having him in the lineup, a fourth line player who cant score or fight. He is a home town boy though and has gave the habs all he has every night

Exactly. The Habs would be much better suited to having someone like Schultz in the line-up as opposed to Darche. He really does do nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

I just hope this guy doesn't go off and single handedly ruin the tank.

Terrible for the past few games, brings nothing to the table at all. Pressbox material if even one more D is healthy (move Weber back to forward).

Uhhh, wrong thread much?