The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Andrei Kostitsyn

It's all very well that we're happy to have a legitimate top 6 and have AK46 fill out a decent third line now. But from AK46's point of view, the Eric Cole signing may have just made this his last season here in Montreal. Andrei's not a defensive talent. His job is to score goals and create offense, and he now finds himself quite low on the depth chart in that regard. With 6 forwards ahead of him here long-term, AK46 is going to need an injury or huge slump from one of the players ahead of him to break back into the top 6 and frankly, when it comes time to sign a new contract, I can't see him opting to play with a club that has him slotted into the third line for several years. Unless the Habs make a move to ship out Gionta or Cammalleri, I expect the odds AK46 is traded at the deadline or walks at the end of the year are quite high.

I put pack in nets. i dont car which lines. I shoot. :)

Seriously though, he seemed more content and comfortable with Eller for most of the second half last year. As long as he (Kostitsyn) is getting enough ice time, I dont think he'll care who he plays with.

As for it being his last year, that very well could be the case regardless of Cole. You dont sign someone to a 1 year deal on the eve of going UFA unless you have concerns about him being in your long term plans. IMHO this year is the year that both the team and AK will come to a decision about the future of 46 with the club.

Not really sure why it would be a calamity if Andrei walked after this season. Sure, it's possible he could explode into first-line form somewhere else. But it's also possible, and in my opinion probable, that we're better off walking away, because we have already gotten some good productive years from him at a relatively reasonable cap hit. Remember Komisarek and Souray? Aren't we glad we didn't stick with those players now? Even Higgins was someone we were better off jettisoning. In Vancouver, he's found a home ... as a third-line forward, not as the top-six 30-goal man we for a time thought he could be.

Sometimes, we become too preoccupied with retaining every single one of our assets. The reality is: in this business, you can't keep everyone, and you have to make tough decisions. Maybe we'll look back on Kostitsyn in a few years and think, "Wow, good thing we milked him during his RFA years but walked away before he was able to command bigger money."

Not really sure why it would be a calamity if Andrei walked after this season. Sure, it's possible he could explode into first-line form somewhere else. But it's also possible, and in my opinion probable, that we're better off walking away, because we have already gotten some good productive years from him at a relatively reasonable cap hit.

Agreed.

Even Higgins was someone we were better off jettisoning. In Vancouver, he's found a home ... as a third-line forward, not as the top-six 30-goal man we for a time thought he could be.

The whole Higgins thing was too bad. I remember as he was developing in the AHL for us, most people felt he would be a great 2 way forward - a third liner capable of chipping in some timely goals & playing very sound defense. Peca, Carbonneau etc. Then he came into the NHL and got the primo spot next to Koivu (because we lacked ANY scoring wingers) and suddenly everyone was calling him the next John LeClair, not the next Mike McPhee. When he "fell" back to numbers that were respectable for him & his skillset, people called him a disappointment. But I guess thats another story...

Sometimes, we become too preoccupied with retaining every single one of our assets. The reality is: in this business, you can't keep everyone, and you have to make tough decisions. Maybe we'll look back on Kostitsyn in a few years and think, "Wow, good thing we milked him during his RFA years but walked away before he was able to command bigger money."

Absolutely. We look at everything and anything to do with our Habs under a microscope - like we're the only team to ever lose a good player, or the only one with a bad contract on our payroll.

As for Kostitsyn - he's an enigma, much like Kovalev before him - because you always think he is just so talented and has such tantalizing size that surely he HAS to be the next great thing. Maybe he wont ever be. Or maybe, like Kovalev, he will have a couple of spectacular seasons, in amongst a bunch of so-so ones. And if that is the case, is he worth keeping around? dunno. depends on the direction of the team I guess.

Either way its a crap shoot, but then so is everything. Pittsburg could call us up tomorrow & ask if we would give up PK Subban and Eller for Sidney Crosby & most of us would pass out with excitement but what if crosby never plays again because of the concussion? Unlikely, but there is always a component of risk to any move in the NHL. Every Gm makes mistakes. And every decent Gm takes risks.

IMHO its the risk taking that is what is separating Gauthier from Gainey. What he chooses to do with AK will be risky either way, but I suspect he'll make the right move.

Not really sure why it would be a calamity if Andrei walked after this season. Sure, it's possible he could explode into first-line form somewhere else. But it's also possible, and in my opinion probable, that we're better off walking away, because we have already gotten some good productive years from him at a relatively reasonable cap hit. Remember Komisarek and Souray? Aren't we glad we didn't stick with those players now? Even Higgins was someone we were better off jettisoning. In Vancouver, he's found a home ... as a third-line forward, not as the top-six 30-goal man we for a time thought he could be.

Meh, I don't mind letting him walk if he is too expensive for his services, as long as we can find a suitable replacement for him. The bottom line though is where do we find a replacement for a guy whjo is likely score 20 goals, who leads our team in hits, who can be a great third liner, and if he plays up to his potential can fill in for injuries on either the 1st or 2nd line if need be? Tough to come across without giving up too many assets...

Also, although I can't really articulate my thoughts on the difference between Higgins/Komisarek/Souray and AK46 at the moment, I feel as if there is a serious difference between these players and AK 46. Almost as if keeping those players on our team made our team worse, whether it's because they had hands of stone or they were too expensive. Keeping AK46 on our team makes our team better.......for the right price imho.

Also, although I can't really articulate my thoughts on the difference between Higgins/Komisarek/Souray and AK46 at the moment, I feel as if there is a serious difference between these players and AK 46. Almost as if keeping those players on our team made our team worse, whether it's because they had hands of stone or they were too expensive. Keeping AK46 on our team makes our team better.......for the right price imho.

I think you are looking at this in hindsight.

At the time, most people felt that keeping Souray, Komi - and even higgins - made our team better. People were practically rioting when Gainey let all those free agents walk, although the very next summer we went further in the post season than we have in over a decade.

At the time, most people felt that keeping Souray, Komi - and even higgins - made our team better. People were practically rioting when Gainey let all those free agents walk, although the very next summer we went further in the post season than we have in over a decade.

Looking back, we see BG did the right thing... both Souray and Komi spent the following season (after leaving mtl) on the IR.

Higgins, well, he continued to disappoint. Seems like he's finally found a home in Vancouver.

Bu there was no way to predict this. Souray left cos he was too costly, Komi we tried to retain but he jumped ship. It ended up being the best for the habs.

I suppose it might be hindsight, but with time to think about it, I feel that the difference is that Komi and Souray were both all-star defenseman who we needed to overpay to keep on the team. In a cap era, it didn't make any sense to keep them, because they were assured a substantial raise that induces thinking similar to Weep's line of thinking (thank god we got good value from their RFA years, because they are not worth it anymore).

AK on the other hand, is no all star. He is a depth forward who in best case scenario should be on your second line providing physical play and good secondary offense. This isn't someone who will score big bucks on the open market, and we could probably get good bang for your buck if we sign him. If we let him walk on the other hand, we lose the ideal third liner (refer to my other post for my description of AK as the ideal third liner) for no particular reason, as he won't be getting that big a raise. (btw, this is all assuming he stays consistent with his past couple of seasons)

For me, comparing Komi/Souray to AK is like comparing the Wiz to Pouliot. Of course letting JW walk made sense, as we'd be paying 5M+ for a good #3-4 defenseman. That's terrible value for your money. I won't need hindsight to tell me that contract would've made our team worse. And then you have Benoit who only makes 1.1 Million, who brought speed and scoring potential. When he was bad, he was bad, but at 1.1 million, that's not that bad value for your dollar. Benoit might've brought good depth to the team and you knew you didn't have to overpay to keep him on your team.

Also, excuse the obvious Kostitsyn bias. :)

Just to point out, first of all, that BG did offer a contract to Komisarek. He just chose not to match the offer from the Leafs (as far as we know) or else Komisarek chose to walk despite BG's best efforts. Similarly, Higgins didn't walk so much as BG dealt him for what he thought was a better asset. In any case, I'd take a little bit of a different stance on what to do with AK46. I by no means feel he is an essential part of this team. When he's on, he can be one of the best players on the team, but his inconsistency is the reason he's not a player you build a team around. That said, he will still be a few years short of 30 when he hits his UFA status next off-season. Make no mistake that there WILL be a handful of teams interested in signing him and hoping that a change of scenery and coach can get the fire going under a guy who has size and can score in the NHL. I'm sure a number of teams will do this, pointing to the relative success AK's brother Sergei had in Nashville this past year. Taking this into account, I just see no reason to let a UFA walk without getting something back for him. Maybe we deal him at the deadline, maybe we deal his rights in the off-season, but I'm just not sure why you wouldn't try to maximize the return if you are going to let him walk. Building through the draft and developing your own prospects (even those acquired via trade) is vital in a salary-cap world, so even if we deal him for a pick or prospect, that's one extra chance we have of acquiring a guy who can be a bona fide NHLer down the road.

Just to point out, first of all, that BG did offer a contract to Komisarek. He just chose not to match the offer from the Leafs (as far as we know) or else Komisarek chose to walk despite BG's best efforts. Similarly, Higgins didn't walk so much as BG dealt him for what he thought was a better asset. In any case, I'd take a little bit of a different stance on what to do with AK46. I by no means feel he is an essential part of this team. When he's on, he can be one of the best players on the team, but his inconsistency is the reason he's not a player you build a team around. That said, he will still be a few years short of 30 when he hits his UFA status next off-season. Make no mistake that there WILL be a handful of teams interested in signing him and hoping that a change of scenery and coach can get the fire going under a guy who has size and can score in the NHL. I'm sure a number of teams will do this, pointing to the relative success AK's brother Sergei had in Nashville this past year. Taking this into account, I just see no reason to let a UFA walk without getting something back for him. Maybe we deal him at the deadline, maybe we deal his rights in the off-season, but I'm just not sure why you wouldn't try to maximize the return if you are going to let him walk. Building through the draft and developing your own prospects (even those acquired via trade) is vital in a salary-cap world, so even if we deal him for a pick or prospect, that's one extra chance we have of acquiring a guy who can be a bona fide NHLer down the road.

Yes he jumped ship to a losing team for an extra 1/2 mil. Actually, given Quebec taxes it came out to more.

I have no isues with AK, specially after the effort he showed last season. An inconsistent player at 3.2 mil is better than an inconsistent player at 6mil, which is what we're getting out of and paying for Cammy.

As long as he continues to find other ways to help the team when he's not scoring, I'm ok with what we're paying him.

Seriously, he's getting half of what cammy makes (approx) and is scoring as many goals, with less icetime-at least that was the case last season(cammy did have the shoulder issue).

Considering what we're paying our top line guys and what we're getting from them in terms of production, I'm cool with AK. But he is expendable, unless it clicks between him and eller this season.

Yes he jumped ship to a losing team for an extra 1/2 mil. Actually, given Quebec taxes it came out to more.

I have no isues with AK, specially after the effort he showed last season. An inconsistent player at 3.2 mil is better than an inconsistent player at 6mil, which is what we're getting out of and paying for Cammy.

As long as he continues to find other ways to help the team when he's not scoring, I'm ok with what we're paying him.

Seriously, he's getting half of what cammy makes (approx) and is scoring as many goals, with less icetime-at least that was the case last season(cammy did have the shoulder issue).

Considering what we're paying our top line guys and what we're getting from them in terms of production, I'm cool with AK. But he is expendable, unless it clicks between him and eller this season.

There's no doubt that what he gave us last year was more valuable than what we got from Cammalleri and Gomez, and he probably out-played the two for most of the year even if you take their salaries out of the equation. I think the key thing though is that he is expendable. he could be a role player on a Cup winning team but he's not going to be the guy who comes up big in the clutch or who you count on to play a big role game in game out. Those guys are going to be Price, Subban, Plekanec, etc. It doesn't really matter to me whether we retain AK or deal him away, but I think he's a valuable enough asset that we shouldn't let him walk for nothing.

Guest habs1952

There's no doubt that what he gave us last year was more valuable than what we got from Cammalleri and Gomez, and he probably out-played the two for most of the year even if you take their salaries out of the equation. I think the key thing though is that he is expendable. he could be a role player on a Cup winning team but he's not going to be the guy who comes up big in the clutch or who you count on to play a big role game in game out. Those guys are going to be Price, Subban, Plekanec, etc. It doesn't really matter to me whether we retain AK or deal him away, but I think he's a valuable enough asset that we shouldn't let him walk for nothing.

But, with his size and skill he should be someone we count on in the clutch.

As for Kostitsyn - he's an enigma, much like Kovalev before him - because you always think he is just so talented and has such tantalizing size that surely he HAS to be the next great thing. Maybe he wont ever be. Or maybe, like Kovalev, he will have a couple of spectacular seasons, in amongst a bunch of so-so ones. And if that is the case, is he worth keeping around? dunno. depends on the direction of the team I guess.

I'd have to disagree. He is what he is in the NHL, I don't think it's likely he'll ever be a 30g/30a, 60 point guy. Consistently though, I think he can score twenty/twenty-five goals and put up 40 points and on a good season crack 50. As an offensive producer he's streaky and as a skater he can sometimes appear to lack explosiveness but what makes him unique and profitable is his unarguably great shot and the physical presence he brings on a nightly basis. I don't think Kostitsyn has the skill set Kovalev does but he has a sniper instinct that Kovalev lacks and his defensive game and hitting style make Kovalev look like a weak two player in comparison, though its unfair to compare a young Andrei in his prime and an old Alex clearly on the decline, it would be fair to agree Kostitsyn has an edge defensively. Alex Kovalev had the ability to cycle the puck in and around all five opposing defenders at times, make that deadly pass to the slot on the power-play, roof the perfect wrister up high over the other teams net-minder, all those smooth slick features that originated from Kovy's sweet hands. Kostitsyn's game is more raw and rampant and less dependent on dekes.

I wouldn't really say hes expendable, I think it would be hard to find another big body to replace him without costing more money. If he clicks with Eller im prefectly fine with signing him for 2-3 years at 3.25 mil each

I feel that andrei being cast as a top 6-9 forward is finally putting him into a position with less pressure and a greater chance to succeed. I think he can do for us what Mikael Samuelsson did on the Red Wings in the 05-06 season. He can play against less talented matchups and really stretch the offensive depth.

Also, as an established NHL player he can really help boost our 3rd line. 20 goals, 140 hits on the first line is not very impressive. It's not terrible but it isnt satisfying given his linemates, pp time, and skills. However, if you have a lineup that gets that kind of production out of somebody on the third line, you have an excellent chance to challenge for a division title.

I think Andrei will have a sneaky season on the third line with Eller and will end up getting a long term contract with the HABS after this season. I predict:

80GP 21 G 25A 46PTS +6 50PIM 150HITS

To me, that would be an amazing season for a 3rd line winger.

I feel that andrei being cast as a top 6-9 forward is finally putting him into a position with less pressure and a greater chance to succeed. I think he can do for us what Mikael Samuelsson did on the Red Wings in the 05-06 season. He can play against less talented matchups and really stretch the offensive depth.

Also, as an established NHL player he can really help boost our 3rd line. 20 goals, 140 hits on the first line is not very impressive. It's not terrible but it isnt satisfying given his linemates, pp time, and skills. However, if you have a lineup that gets that kind of production out of somebody on the third line, you have an excellent chance to challenge for a division title.

I think Andrei will have a sneaky season on the third line with Eller and will end up getting a long term contract with the HABS after this season. I predict:

80GP 21 G 25A 46PTS +6 50PIM 150HITS

To me, that would be an amazing season for a 3rd line winger.

Hope your right as long as we don't have injuries I can see him on the third line,some one said he will not like being sort of demoted, but I don't think he will see it like that,he doesn't seem to me to have an ego like his brother and he really looked happy last season,I only hope it stays the same for him,have a good one AK it's going to be your season.

GO AK GO :lol: :lol:

A 3rd line of Moen - Eller - AK will see a lot of minutes. It could be one of the best 3rd lines out there in terms of all-round "usability".

AK really earned some credit , in my view, for his team play and work ethic last season. He's got a chance to really excel as a 3rd line star player, rather than disappoint as a 1st line scoring threat.

Sure, $3.5m is a lot to pay for a 3rd liner.......but for a hit-leading, 40 point + 3rd liner who can fill in higher up, what would you have to pay on the market to replace it?

A 3rd line of Moen - Eller - AK will see a lot of minutes. It could be one of the best 3rd lines out there in terms of all-round "usability".

AK really earned some credit , in my view, for his team play and work ethic last season. He's got a chance to really excel as a 3rd line star player, rather than disappoint as a 1st line scoring threat.

Sure, $3.5m is a lot to pay for a 3rd liner.......but for a hit-leading, 40 point + 3rd liner who can fill in higher up, what would you have to pay on the market to replace it?

I agree with about AK... But not sure if Moen could keep up to AK and Eller. I think I'd use Drache with AK and Eller before Moen.

Hope your right as long as we don't have injuries I can see him on the third line,some one said he will not like being sort of demoted, but I don't think he will see it like that,he doesn't seem to me to have an ego like his brother and he really looked happy last season,I only hope it stays the same for him,have a good one AK it's going to be your season.

GO AK GO :lol: :lol:

We saw a bit of chemistry between AK and Eller last season, hope they can build on that... Who knows, if they grow together they could both be bumped up to the 2nd line when Gomez and Gio's time is up. AK is in his late 20's, but still enough in the tank to give us a good 5-7 years of service.

With the reduced icetime on the 3rd line, I'd be happy if he scored anywhere between 15-20 goals. Anything above that would be a bonus.

I'm still pulling for AK, but my expectations of him are much more reasonable.

A good third liner is all we got out of the deepest drafts in recent history where we picked at no. 10, no. 40 and no. 61 in the first 2 rounds. We could/should have picked one of Carter, Getzlaf, Brown, Parise, Richards or Perry instead of Kostitsyn. Plus we could have had Shea Weber or Patrice Bergeron instead of Urquhart and Backes instead of Lapierre. In the first round of the 2003 draft you couldn't pick wrong especially with a top ten pick. Yet the Habs managed to pick the wrong guy. I'll be happy when Kostitsyns time in Montreal is over. At least then I don't think about who we could have picked back in 2003 anymore.

A good third liner is all we got out of the deepest drafts in recent history where we picked at no. 10, no. 40 and no. 61 in the first 2 rounds. We could/should have picked one of Carter, Getzlaf, Brown, Parise, Richards or Perry instead of Kostitsyn. Plus we could have had Shea Weber or Patrice Bergeron instead of Urquhart and Backes instead of Lapierre. In the first round of the 2003 draft you couldn't pick wrong especially with a top ten pick. Yet the Habs managed to pick the wrong guy. I'll be happy when Kostitsyns time in Montreal is over. At least then I don't think about who we could have picked back in 2003 anymore.

No one had any idea that players like Backes would turn out the way they did. some people jus bloom later than others and Kostitsyn looked very promising at the time and up until a few years ago still looked like he could be a legit sniper. Sure, I'd love to have Carter, Getzlaf or any of those players, but at the time we got a promising young sniper. He is a key part of our depth now and gives us balance in our line up and bottom six scoring. I for one would like to see him re-sign here for a few more years, especially if his chemistry with Lars Eller continues from last season.

I think people need to stop looking at what we could have gotten and just root for the guys we have now and hope they succeed. Go AK Go!