Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ColRouleBleu

Jaroslav Spacek

90 posts in this topic

Points taken... but...

Does this not represent value that may interest a team like the Islanders needing to reach the cap minimum?

Is this a value that the Habs may want to hold onto?

I can see them maybe willing to take him for cap reasons, but they already have some experience on d, so it wouldn't be for that... Streit is back this season.

We'd also have to through in something else, but really, what would we get in return?

Like ted said, he's declining fast. His injuries are adding up and with a longer time on the IR.

Getting to the cap floor would be the only reason I think snow would even consider Spacek. But then again, there are so many more options around the league with better skills and younger who would be a better fit.

I'd only be acquiring him if I were trying to move a defenseman (or maybe another player) on a long contract I wanted to get rid of. Think Spacek ++ for Brian Campbell if Florida hadn't made them such a great offer. Unfortunately a big contract is the last thing we need.

100% agreed!

Okay... I will ;) For one year if I was the GM of the Islanders I would consider it. Spacek may not be a top-four player, but I do believe he could help a franchise like the Islanders under the current circumstances even if the caphit seems high.

You're probably thinking like the Habs GM and not the Islanders... with two different needs to be met.

It sounds as though you both feel Jaro is washed-up and barely useful to any team out there. Is he really that bad overall? I don't think so... and I believe there could be some GM's that may think the same thing and need to spend to stay over the cap minimum. Of cousre there could be other players available, but Spacek could be one of them.

Funnily enough, if you look back at some of my posts around the forum I've actually found myself defending him quite a bit. For some reason I have a feeling he is going to surprise a lot of us and be a contributor this year. Not one of our best defensemen or anything, but I think he will deliver much more than the fringe 6/7 guy many are envisioning him as for the upcoming season.

Having said that, when I look at the defensemen that were or still are available in the off season, I don't think it makes sense for anyone to go out and give up assets to acquire Jaro when they could have signed someone else on a one year deal without giving up anything.

Funnily enough, if you look back at some of my posts around the forum I've actually found myself defending him quite a bit. For some reason I have a feeling he is going to surprise a lot of us and be a contributor this year. Not one of our best defensemen or anything, but I think he will deliver much more than the fringe 6/7 guy many are envisioning him as for the upcoming season.

Having said that, when I look at the defensemen that were or still are available in the off season, I don't think it makes sense for anyone to go out and give up assets to acquire Jaro when they could have signed someone else on a one year deal without giving up anything.

Me too, he seems to get off to slow starts. He reminds me of an old car, might take a few more turns of the key to get the engine to turn over, but once it does she's running. That's how I see spacek.

When he was signed, he was under the impression that he would play on the side where he played most of his career. It was a real adjustment for him and due to that I don't think we even saw his true potential.

In all honesty, he's past his prime and probably going to play out his final year in a Habs uni. He may head east once this years up and play in the K, but I don't see him playing another season (past this one) in the NHL. He's had a good career, did great with the sabres, but his best years are definitely behind him.

Imo injuries and the physical aspect of the game has taken a toll on his body.

Solid veteran option for the playoffs. Nothing more nothing less. Limit his minutes early in the season and dress him for ~65 games, particularly the last 10 prior to the playoffs unless one of the young guys really shines and makes him a 7th d-man, I think odds are he's a regular bottom pairing d-man come April.

Its good to know that Spacek has come into camp in the best shape he's been in since signing with the Habs.Lost some weight and taken on some new exercises,good for him and the Habs.

Its good to know that Spacek has come into camp in the best shape he's been in since signing with the Habs.Lost some weight and taken on some new exercises,good for him and the Habs.

That is good to hear. I was surprised, honestly... But, it's good to see him taking a positive approach to what might be his last season in the NHL. If Spacek came in to camp believing we have a chance in the post-season (well, he put in the work and training, obviously), then maybe we do! :lol::D

Well, I can say he didn't look as bad as he did in the pre-season last year. But he's back on the left and I still wasn't overly impressed tonight. It was a passable performance, but there was nothing great offensively and he fell on his butt a couple of times in his own zone. Hoping it's just a bit of rust, but considering the hype of guys like Spacek and Gomez coming into camp in great shape, there hasn't been much to show for it yet.

Well, I can say he didn't look as bad as he did in the pre-season last year. But he's back on the left and I still wasn't overly impressed tonight. It was a passable performance, but there was nothing great offensively and he fell on his butt a couple of times in his own zone. Hoping it's just a bit of rust, but considering the hype of guys like Spacek and Gomez coming into camp in great shape, there hasn't been much to show for it yet.

I thought he looked quicker. Coming in better shape doesn't necessarily lead to immediate preseason results, especially as a veteran with less urgency to make the team and there hasn't been much to show for Gomez because of an injury lol, so not really applicable.

its nice having him imo, he isnt hamrlik unfortunately but as a 6th 7th defenseman i like him. I`m especially please d with webbers improvements

I thought Spacek looked quite good the other night, him and Diaz compliment each other. Made some solid first passes and played a good board game most of the time.

I thought Spacek looked quite good the other night, him and Diaz compliment each other. Made some solid first passes and played a good board game most of the time.

Spacek didn't look like he was having a slow start when paired with Diaz, could be a good bottom pairing this year.

Well Jaro, were gonna need you to party like it's 1999!

Okay Spacek, time to gear up again. We need some solid presence on our back end. Yes Weber, Diaz and Emelin have done well all things considered but we need another calm veteran.

Slot Weber back to forward and let Spacek play with Diaz again, they were great together.

Edited by dwdemonwolf

He would actually be a nice addition back there on D right now.

Would he? I feel like we'd be in the same situation. Bad decision making, not physically strong, getting exposed in front of the net.

Would he? I feel like we'd be in the same situation. Bad decision making, not physically strong, getting exposed in front of the net.

He didnt look as bad at the start, hed help, but not be the saviour on d thats for sure. It would also eliminate the pleks on the point hopefully.

He didnt look as bad at the start, hed help, but not be the saviour on d thats for sure. It would also eliminate the pleks on the point hopefully.

Spacek did get off to a sloppy start last season, but did quite well once he shook of the rust. I know his game has holes, but he does bring experience and can do what Gill does, helping the kids with positioning and such.

Jaro, you can't come back soon enough... We need you!

It's like the old saying goes... Those who can't, teach. Meaning he may not have the skills, but has been around long enough to pick up a few tricks that they (Gill/Spacek) can then pass off to our youngins.

Key note though, teachers are generally on the sidelines - not the front lines.

If 'teaching' is truly his only remaining tout-able skill. Give'm a suit, and shove'm behind the bench as his first few games were atrocious. When you consider that we are sitting our 1 physical Dman in Emelin to let him play tonight.. it's just painful to think about.

Spacek-Diaz was not half-bad... Spacek-Weber?

Gorges-Subban is a bigger concern for me though ;)

Welcome back Spacek. Please provide some assistance to our ailing defence.

He's definitely helped, keep him under 20 minutes and he's really quite serviceable. I'm as excited for the contract to expire as anyone, but man we needed this guy back.

He's definitely helped, keep him under 20 minutes and he's really quite serviceable. I'm as excited for the contract to expire as anyone, but man we needed this guy back.

Indeed, Spacek is calm out there. Another solid game yesterday. A few mistakes but he quickly corrected them. Almost had a goal too.

We need him, because our backend is so weak, but he looked painfully slow at times, especially defending a winger attacking the net from the half-wall. He fell down at least once, Hal Gill style, and allowed a quality scoring chance at the net.

Spacho-man was huge tonight. 6 shot blocks, 2 take aways an assisst. Great game.