The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Jaroslav Spacek

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed. The D has been much steadier having that veteran presence back in on each pairing.

I was a bit skeptical when they were talking about how he came to camp in great shape etc. but he looks like a different player this year. I hope he gets a longer look on the PP, I thought he looked pretty good on the point.

Agreed... Jaro has been very good IMO and a steadying influence on the Habs "D". He may arguably be playing his best hockey since joining the Habs.

He's proving game in and out that he was the better d-man over Hamrlik.

Now, if the Habs can only reduce their dumb penalties some more. I thought there'd be major improvement with Hamrlik gone, but not really (Subban and Eller 'upping' their game in that regard :lol: )

Why would you have assumed there would be an improvement without Hamrlik? We never used the money saved from the departure of Hamrlik to improve our defense at all. I also don't agree with saying Spacek is proving he's better than Hamrlik game-in and game-out. He's played 10 games this season and has 3 assists... That's not much to base a 'better than Hamrlik' opinion on.

He's proving game in and out that he was the better d-man over Hamrlik.

Now, if the Habs can only reduce their dumb penalties some more. I thought there'd be major improvement with Hamrlik gone, but not really (Subban and Eller 'upping' their game in that regard :lol: )

Spacek is off to his best start to the year since he joined our team, but I wouldn't say he's better than Hamrlik by any means. Hamrlik was a better all-round D man: better skater, better size and physicality, more versatile.... but Spacek's job is not to replace Hamrlik, I'm just happy that he's playing within his own limits this year and doing a good job at that. Hamr was a guy who did a nice job for us as a #2-#3 guy and Spacek's doing a nice job as a #4-#5 guy this year and if he can continue to do that, I'll be happy.

• 3 weeks later...

Spacek possible for Saturday game in New Jersey

screen-capture-11-396x250.jpg

Defenceman Jaroslav Spacek has missed the last 11 games.