The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Jaroslav Spacek

• 5 months later...

Just read Spaceks interview and all of the comments,really opens your eyes to what was going on,pity he couldn't have played here in better times,hope he gets a offer somewhere,but I think he will return to the Chezk republic if not and we will never see or hear from him again.

GO SPACEK GO :huh:

• 5 months later...

No one signed him before the CBA expired during free agency so it's hard to say if he would have found work either way.

True, although those vet defensman have a way of getting signed during training camps/first month of the year when teams realize they are missing players and/or needing leadership on the blueline.

I dont think he would have gotten any sort of substantial deal but you might have seen him signed somewhere for 1 year, $1m or something.

True, although those vet defensman have a way of getting signed during training camps/first month of the year when teams realize they are missing players and/or needing leadership on the blueline.

I dont think he would have gotten any sort of substantial deal but you might have seen him signed somewhere for 1 year, $1m or something.

I agree, it's not like he went a full season without being signed. Right up until last season he was in the NHL. With the CBA negotiations, it left many players unsigned (RFA & UFA's).

Like Roy said, he may have decided to retire had there not been the lockout and CBA negotiations going on.

It's my gut feeling, despite his injury problems, that some team looking for veteran leadership on the blueline would've picked him up(Oilers, Isles?).

He may have even decided to play his final years in the Czech Republic, but with some many NHLer's taking roster spots in Europe and Russia, there wasn't much demand for an injury prone, aging dman.

I didn't mean to say or suggest it was impossible but it's hard to call him a casualty when there's no evidence he would have had a job. It's probably 50-50.

• 1 year later...
Guest archey

I have to admit that hearing the name Spacek sent me for a loop and now that he's 18 months into his assistant coaching job I have to admit that signing Markov for 3 years isn't as bad an idea as i thought using the European reference that got somewhat lost in my mind when Andrei became a Canadian.

Interesting team we live with.