The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Questions, Comments, Concerns

Yesterday in the "if i was the GM" topic i had un high tempered debate with another member of this forum. He replied to my post in a rather insultely way, completely focused on the poster and not the post.

I was suprised to see that no further mod actions were involved, and the replied post stayed an site for over an hour. Even more suprised, i was when i took action in responding to the post accordingly. Within less than five minutes my response was edited and so was the original repost.

I am wondering, why aren't all members treated the same way? If mods thought that the original post was not worth editing at the first place, why did they take action immidiately after my response, and they didn't let my response on line for the same amount of time.

Actions like this should be thoroughly investigated. No, i dont think that both posts should be on this thread, and actually think that both posters deserved an official warning, but you have to treat all members the same way, otherwise anyone that reads this post can come to false conclussions about backing out from a debade, or letting insults flow around, unanswered...

Very sad to see such matters unfold...

Yesterday in the "if i was the GM" topic i had un high tempered debate with another member of this forum. He replied to my post in a rather insultely way, completely focused on the poster and not the post.

I was suprised to see that no further mod actions were involved, and the replied post stayed an site for over an hour. Even more suprised, i was when i took action in responding to the post accordingly. Within less than five minutes my response was edited and so was the original repost.

I am wondering, why aren't all members treated the same way? If mods thought that the original post was not worth editing at the first place, why did they take action immidiately after my response, and they didn't let my response on line for the same amount of time.

Actions like this should be thoroughly investigated. No, i dont think that both posts should be on this thread, and actually think that both posters deserved an official warning, but you have to treat all members the same way, otherwise anyone that reads this post can come to false conclussions about backing out from a debade, or letting insults flow around, unanswered...

Very sad to see such matters unfold...

Here's an easy solution. If you knew the post didn't belong or went against board rules,,,you could have easily reported it, rather then adding fuel to it and responding in turn. As Weep pointed out,,,,it might not have been read until your response was posted. We're not machines unfortunately.

Don't want to speak for mods here, but it's entirely possible that no mod saw the post in question until someone reported it to them, at which point they would have edited both posts in the thread.

I dont think you are a mod yet Weeps...thanks for the information but i trully look forward to what THE MODS have to say about it...and while at it, i wonder how you would feel if such matter occured to you? Probably you wouldn't rush at their defense, i guess...

Here's an easy solution. If you knew the post didn't belong or went against board rules,,,you could have easily reported it, rather then adding fuel to it and responding in turn. As Weep pointed out,,,,it might not have been read until your response was posted. We're not machines unfortunately.

Dear hatethoseleafs...you have what...over 20000 posts, i believe. Trully respectfull number, but you know one day, not very long ago you probably had 800 like me...It seems like you have forgotten of that situation, otherwise your response would have been more comforting. I know you guys are not machines, but i find it quite difficult to believe no one saw the questionable post. And even if they didn't, evaluating the circumstances they should let my repost on board, it wasn't more against the rules than the original one.

As for the solution. Why report anything (i really dont know how what so ever)? I can stop posting at all, avoiding such classless enviroment...

I dont think you are a mod yet Weeps

He's a retired jersey...Meaning he used to be a mod.

Why report anything (i really dont know how what so ever)

There is a button on the bottom right hand corner of the post beside quote and multiquote that says report. You click that.

I dont think you are a mod yet Weeps...thanks for the information but i trully look forward to what THE MODS have to say about it...and while at it, i wonder how you would feel if such matter occured to you? Probably you wouldn't rush at their defense, i guess...

First of all, the mods did reply to you. Second, I am not rushing to anyone's defense, just trying to offer a possible explanation for why the initial post wasn't initially deleted. Moderators aren't robots; they don't patrol the forum 24/7 and they aren't paid. Third, I used to be a moderator here, though really that shouldn't matter one way or another to this discussion.

Dear hatethoseleafs...you have what...over 20000 posts, i believe. Trully respectfull number, but you know one day, not very long ago you probably had 800 like me...It seems like you have forgotten of that situation, otherwise your response would have been more comforting. I know you guys are not machines, but i find it quite difficult to believe no one saw the questionable post. And even if they didn't, evaluating the circumstances they should let my repost on board, it wasn't more against the rules than the original one.

As for the solution. Why report anything (i really dont know how what so ever)? I can stop posting at all, avoiding such classless enviroment...

TheBiggestHabsFan explains how to report a post pretty well below.

There is a button on the bottom right hand corner of the post beside quote and multiquote that says report. You click that.

Grecohab: as has been mentioned, the moderating team is composed of veteran members, but none of us are paid to do this job and all of us in fact have other jobs and life commitments outside of being here. There are mechanisms in place to try and detect posts that go against the code of conduct, but sometimes there are delays before these are fully addressed. The alternative to the current way of functioning would be to have all posts on time delay until they are officially approved, but that would in itself mean people wouldn't be able to communicate in real time. We therefore trust that our members will act responsibly to ensure everyone enjoys this forum equally. Those who do not are given warnings, suspensions, and eventually permanent bans if they do not adhere. We are not in the business of deciding whose opinions are right or wrong, only in whether their conduct is appropriate to the well-being of the forum. I can assure you that you are far from being the only one to have been involved with such an issue, and if you are not seeing other such incidents frequently, it's because we are in fact cleaning up the posts in question in a timely-enough manner most of the time.

With respect to the specific posts you mentioned, they were dealt with my a few of the mods here. We would of course like to have been able to deal with them immediately upon their having been posted, but as noted, this is not always possible. In this particular case, both posters were felt to have contributed to the situation and as such, both posters had posts edited. Sometimes it occurs that the first post is on the limit of what we would allow but when it leads to further remarks going back and forth, we re-examine whether part of the original post may have contributed to things and adjust it accordingly. This was the situation in this case. The moderator who was addressing this issue first decided to post a general warning in the thread, with a note that any further escalation would result in an official warning directed towards the specific member doing so. Both posters were treated equally here, and it's time for everyone to move on. As has been noted, should you have any further issues with a particular post, it is best to report the post or send a personal message to one of the moderators. It will be addressed and you will receive a reply with an explanation of the action being taken (if any is appropriate).

I hope the above helps to clarify things for you.

BT

Could a Mod please remove a "Recent Staus Update" please <_< ? It's in French but I even I can read 2 specific words. BTW,,,I think it was here this morning.

On edit,,,is there a way we could report that without posting it here?

The status update section imo has gotten worse for spammers like that since the changeover, out of curiousity, was like an anti spam thing removed during the updates? or have we just been hit by the spam season?

The status update section imo has gotten worse for spammers like that since the changeover, out of curiousity, was like an anti spam thing removed during the updates? or have we just been hit by the spam season?

It has been worse since the change over though they have always been around. To answer your question nothing was removed. These bots register at nhl.com (not here) & affect every teams forums.

Guest habs1952

It has been worse since the change over though they have always been around. To answer your question nothing was removed. These bots register at nhl.com (not here) & affect every teams forums.

Are these bots registered 'members' at NHL.com? Can new 'members' be excluded from using the status updates until they have 100 posts, similar to creating new threads?

Are these bots registered 'members' at NHL.com? Can new 'members' be excluded from using the status updates until they have 100 posts, similar to creating new threads?

Good idea 52. I was also thinking that if NHL.com,,,,could have something similiar to some other sites, where you have to type letters into a box, to prove you're not a bot.

• H_T_L locked and unpinned this topic