Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nine1One

Goaltending

49 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, Just thought it would be nice to have a place to discuss the goalies and goaltending around the league in one place.

My personal opinions on all the starting goal tenders in the league.

Anaheim Ducks: Jonas Hiller is one of the best goalies in the league. He plays an excellent butterfly from what I've seen. He was arguably a top 3 goalie before the all star break and he was out of commission for the rest of the season due to vertigo. This was very unfortunate. Hopefully he returns to full health, which will make Anaheim a deadly deadly team in the west.

Boston Bruins: Tim Thomas/Tuuka Rask - Both are legit number 1 goalies. Tim Thomas is one of the best goalies in the league easily, just won the vezina, again. He is very aggressive and takes himself out of position alot which we like to take advantage of. But he's the only bruin I like. Next year I hope his play drops significantly :P.

Buffalo- Ryan Miller. Top 5 Goalie in the league hands down, arguably the best in the world. Was a horse for the Sabres last year. They are set for a long time.

Calgary - Miika Kipruskoff - Still a great goalie, his play hasn't been as good as in the past few years from my understanding.

Carolina - Ward = Amazing, nuff said.

Chicago - Corey Crawford - Young , Talented, French, Great Rookie Season, Black hawks have a good goalie.

Avalance - Varlamov, very talented, big, but injury prone. Back up in jiggy is good.

Columbus - Mason is good, don't know enough to comment.

Stars - Ok goaltending, needs improvement if my memory serves correctly.

Redwings - Talented Young Goalie, not a superstar elite goalie in my opinion, but he doesn't need to be, playing behind the redwings.

Oilers - Dubnyk, I don't know a lot but he is a good goalie. He should be solid in nets for Edmonton as he matures and gets better.

Florida - Theodore, well we all know about him. Markstrom is going to be a stud in the league when he breaks in.

Kings - Both their goalies are great, really solid position for the kings.

Minnesota - Backstrom, Harding, Hackett are all good goalies, Backstrom has been in a decline. His cap hit does not match his talent level any more in my opinion.

Montreal - Carey Price, he's ok ;).

Predators - Rinne, Amazing goalie, big, and athletic. Back up in lindback is also big and talented. Really strong position for nashville.

Devils - Brodeur is arguably one of the top 3 goalies of all time. He is nearing retirement but is still one of the best in the league. Devils need an upgrade in nets soon.

Islanders - The revolving doors will continue next season. Montoya should be the starter, and Mr. Dipietro iirc used to be an all star caliber goalie. Should he somehow regain form and health he should be a good goalie splitting time with islanders.

Rangers - Lundqvist - 6 straight 30+ win seasons. 11 shut outs last year. My personal favorite goalie. And in my opinion the best goalie in the world

Ottawa - Has a good starter in anderson, could go either way next year for them

Philidelphia - Who the hell knows lmao. Bryzgolav is a great goalie. should be a big improvement over last year.

Coyotes - as of right now I believe their starter is smith? Could go either way as i Believe smith is a good goalie.

Penguins - Fleury top notch goalie, great personality, solid position for them. Can be elite, but is often times just good.

Sharks - Good tandem in nets, if niemi plays well like he did last season they should be set at goalie for a while

St. Louis - Halak is a monster. Hopefully he isn't injured next year, and he gets some defensive support.

Tampa Bay - ROloson will falter this season in my opinion :( back up is really good.

Leafs - Not bad, but not great. Depends on Optimus Reim lmao so lame

Vancouver - Luongo is extremely good. Overated , but still very good.

Capitals - Neuvirth, Vokoun, Holtby. EXTREMELY talented goaltenders we all know that

Winnipeg - Pavelec is talented and young, could go either way next year.

Hey everyone, Just thought it would be nice to have a place to discuss the goalies and goaltending around the league in one place.

My personal opinions on all the starting goal tenders in the league.

Anaheim Ducks: Jonas Hiller is one of the best goalies in the league. He plays an excellent butterfly from what I've seen. He was arguably a top 3 goalie before the all star break and he was out of commission for the rest of the season due to vertigo. This was very unfortunate. Hopefully he returns to full health, which will make Anaheim a deadly deadly team in the west.

Boston Bruins: Tim Thomas/Tuuka Rask - Both are legit number 1 goalies. Tim Thomas is one of the best goalies in the league easily, just won the vezina, again. He is very aggressive and takes himself out of position alot which we like to take advantage of. But he's the only bruin I like. Next year I hope his play drops significantly :P.

Buffalo- Ryan Miller. Top 5 Goalie in the league hands down, arguably the best in the world. Was a horse for the Sabres last year. They are set for a long time.

Calgary - Miika Kipruskoff - Still a great goalie, his play hasn't been as good as in the past few years from my understanding.

Chicago - Corey Crawford - Young , Talented, French, Great Rookie Season, Black hawks have a good goalie.

Avalance - Varlamov, very talented, big, but injury prone. Back up in jiggy is good.

Columbus - Mason is good, don't know enough to comment.

Stars - Ok goaltending, needs improvement if my memory serves correctly.

Redwings - Talented Young Goalie, not a superstar elite goalie in my opinion, but he doesn't need to be, playing behind the redwings.

Oilers - Dubnyk, I don't know a lot but he is a good goalie. He should be solid in nets for Edmonton as he matures and gets better.

Florida - Theodore, well we all know about him. Markstrom is going to be a stud in the league when he breaks in.

Kings - Both their goalies are great, really solid position for the kings.

Minnesota - Backstrom, Harding, Hackett are all good goalies, Backstrom has been in a decline. His cap hit does not match his talent level any more in my opinion.

Predators - Rinne, Amazing goalie, big, and athletic. Back up in lindback is also big and talented. Really strong position for nashville.

Devils - Brodeur is arguably one of the top 3 goalies of all time. He is nearing retirement but is still one of the best in the league. Devils need an upgrade in nets soon.

Islanders - The revolving doors will continue next season. Montoya should be the starter, and Mr. Dipietro iirc used to be an all star caliber goalie. Should he somehow regain form and health he should be a good goalie splitting time with islanders.

Rangers - Lundqvist - 6 straight 30+ win seasons. 11 shut outs last year. My personal favorite goalie. And in my opinion the best goalie in the world

Ottawa - Has a good starter in anderson, could go either way next year for them

Philidelphia - Who the hell knows lmao. Bryzgolav is a great goalie. should be a big improvement over last year.

Coyotes - as of right now I believe their starter is smith? Could go either way as i Believe smith is a good goalie.

Penguins - Fleury top notch goalie, great personality, solid position for them. Can be elite, but is often times just good.

Sharks - Good tandem in nets, if niemi plays well like he did last season they should be set at goalie for a while

St. Louis - Halak is a monster. Hopefully he isn't injured next year, and he gets some defensive support.

Tampa Bay - ROloson will falter this season in my opinion :( back up is really good.

Leafs - Not bad, but not great. Depends on Optimus Reim lmao so lame

Vancouver - Luongo is extremely good. Overated , but still very good.

Capitals - Neuvirth, Vokoun, Holtby. EXTREMELY talented goaltenders we all know that

Winnipeg - Pavelec is talented and young, could go either way next year.

I agree with most of this. However I have some opinion on some teams situations.

Boston: Thomas is extremely over rated. He is sooo inconsistent on a season to season basis, he was very good, then brutal, and then amazing. Watch for him to have a brutal season where everyone will be left saying Timmy who?

Columbus: Mason NEEDS to go back to his rookie form

Islanders: IN the 12 games Dipietro will play, he will still be the same. Hes missed so much time he could have been developing, even Brodeur said he thought the New York area would have the 3 best goalies in nets (Him Lundqvist and Dipietro...I guess he forgets Buffalo)

Rangers: Agreed. Lundqvist is called King Henrik for a reason, one of my favourites and a reason I follow NYR.

St. Louis: Looks lke Halak plays best with a back up who is always pushing for a #1 position (Huet, Price). Elliott IMO is not that type, look for Bishop to be St. Louis's back up by the deadline.

Tampa: Rollie is done

Leafs: Reimer is again over rated, he was good in half a season, doubt he can play as much as leaf fans want him to, has a bad back up in the monster

New jersey: Brodeur is on a rapid decline.

I agree with most of this. However I have some opinion on some teams situations.

Boston: Thomas is extremely over rated. He is sooo inconsistent on a season to season basis, he was very good, then brutal, and then amazing. Watch for him to have a brutal season where everyone will be left saying Timmy who?

Columbus: Mason NEEDS to go back to his rookie form

Islanders: IN the 12 games Dipietro will play, he will still be the same. Hes missed so much time he could have been developing, even Brodeur said he thought the New York area would have the 3 best goalies in nets (Him Lundqvist and Dipietro...I guess he forgets Buffalo)

Rangers: Agreed. Lundqvist is called King Henrik for a reason, one of my favourites and a reason I follow NYR.

St. Louis: Looks lke Halak plays best with a back up who is always pushing for a #1 position (Huet, Price). Elliott IMO is not that type, look for Bishop to be St. Louis's back up by the deadline.

Tampa: Rollie is done

Leafs: Reimer is again over rated, he was good in half a season, doubt he can play as much as leaf fans want him to, has a bad back up in the monster

New jersey: Brodeur is on a rapid decline.

Thomas, is overrated , but still a fine goalie. SHould he falter they still have rask.

Agree on columbus,

Rollie I don't think is done, he's still a great goalie.

Reimer is overated, but he is young and I'm not going to write him off.

Bishop is good.

And clarify what you meant about the islanders? How will RD play in the 12 games? And I read that article about brodeur. lol.

Thomas, is overrated , but still a fine goalie. SHould he falter they still have rask.

Agree on columbus,

Rollie I don't think is done, he's still a great goalie.

Reimer is overated, but he is young and I'm not going to write him off.

Bishop is good.

And clarify what you meant about the islanders? How will RD play in the 12 games? And I read that article about brodeur. lol.

I'm just saying he will play only a small handful of games and then get injured again :lol:

Basically, because Dipietro missed so much time over his career, he never really developed to his full potential. He still makes those small mistakes that he would be making as a rookie because he's never had time to work on things. He's still a good goalie, just not as good as he should be.

I think that was in the Brodeur article or a different one that I read.

I'm just saying he will play only a small handful of games and then get injured again :lol:

Basically, because Dipietro missed so much time over his career, he never really developed to his full potential. He still makes those small mistakes that he would be making as a rookie because he's never had time to work on things. He's still a good goalie, just not as good as he should be.

ahh ok :P

I think this too, minus the double deadly :P. He was playing great for them and it's unfortunate that vertigo is what kept him from playing. Looking at it positively though, he doesn't have to do any rehab that a different kind of injury would require. He needs to fix those inner ear problems.

Oui.

He is one of the best right now. He's been able to maintain a high level of play. Though I can tell you, I was really ticked with him last season. But that, of course was from a fantasy point of view. I see him as the player that Buffalo mostly relies on however, I think that will be slightly lessened this season. Considering the way he plays though, backup doesn't seem like much of a concern for buffalo but if they had to go to someone, I think Enroth over Lalime would be the better choice. Just so they can give him some more time in the NHL. Though being 23, they'll probably be looking to Lalime.

I agree. I have no clue about their backup.

I actually think Ward is underrated. He had a great season and even though the one before that was a "losing one" he still seems to be solid. I see it as he found a groove so to speak and he'll have a good season. Adding Boucher was a good move. I don't know what that means for Peters.

I know Turco has nothing really to do with this (only that he was their "backup" last season) but I'm finding some way to segue into how a "friend" of mine was arguing with me that Turco was better than Roloson last season. I was like ,"Dude...". He pissed me off because he somehow had to make it about Montreal and I now ignore hockey related conversations with him. Oh, and I think Crawford is great too.

I think the Wings have a great goalie in Howard.

pffft.

I was thinking about this last season. Just what exactly are they going to do? Also, he was one of the best. Key word: was.

Ottawa - Has a good starter in Anderson, could go either way next year for them.

Definitely. Overall, I don't see the team doing much but I think that, as you said, Anderson himself could go either way in terms of his play.

Philadelphia - Who the hell knows lmao. Bryzgolav is a great goalie. Should be a big improvement over last year.

I don't think Bryz is going to help them. I can't say specifically why, but I just feel that way. I think they'll see people calling out his contract sooner than later.

I think Fleury is overrated. Perhaps if I were a Pens fan I would feel differently ( I suppose that holds true for all teams) But I just don't think he's an amazing goalie like some people think he is.

Halak is in position to have a much better season next year I think. I don't think we'll ever see him as good as he was that year here, realistically speaking, but he has it in him to be a great goalie.

Vancouver - Luongo is extremely good. Overrated , but still very good.

That bodes really well for them this season.

Edited by beaubie

I agree with you... He had so much potential-which why they signed him to such a long contract. Unfortunately for him, his development has stalled due to all his injuries.

Brodeur's time is past him. Not arguing he's not a first ballot HoF legend, but he's not himself of the 90s anymore. Fleury and Luongo are so incredibly overrated, they do not warrant discussion. Pavelec might very well be a power goalie with a stable, solid team in front of him. And Reimer could be a competent starter for 60+ games. But neither of those things have ever happened, and as such they're entirely unproven. Phoenix is apparently going to rely on split starts between Smith and Labarbera. I hope Yakupov likes Quebec City!

As far as Thomas, the version of him that played last season was indeed effective, if completely and totally overrated. The Euro/ECHL backup he's been the rest of his career, however, doesn't even belong in the same universe as this thread.

Do you guys think at the end of his career that lundqvist will be considered one of the greatest of all time?

Do you guys think at the end of his career that lundqvist will be considered one of the greatest of all time?

He'll need some playoff hardware. Doesn't have to be a cup, look at Hextall. If he gets a Conn Smythe, absolutely.

once the rangers get a more experienced team out of their core, they will be a team to watch. Mcdonagh Del Zotto and Staal are gonna be beasts on their defense. Zuccarello, Boyle, Anisimov, Callahan, and Dubinsky are gonna be a very good core to build off of. Sather just needs to learn not to go so hard after big name free agents.

once the rangers get a more experienced team out of their core, they will be a team to watch. Mcdonagh Del Zotto and Staal are gonna be beasts on their defense. Zuccarello, Boyle, Anisimov, Callahan, and Dubinsky are gonna be a very good core to build off of. Sather just needs to learn not to go so hard after big name free agents.

Didn't even come remotely close to answering the question :P

Didn't even come remotely close to answering the question :P

Therefore, the Rangers will be a more deadly playoff team. With Lundqvists solid goaltending he will surely win a stanley cup, and vezina trophy.

How old is he 28? hes still pretty young IIRC

Therefore, the Rangers will be a more deadly playoff team. With Lundqvists solid goaltending he will surely win a stanley cup, and vezina trophy.

How old is he 28? hes still pretty young IIRC

6 30+ win seasons.

11 shut outs last year

been in the league 6 seasons.

I think when he retires he will be in the top ten goalies of all time.

6 30+ win seasons.

11 shut outs last year

been in the league 6 seasons.

I think when he retires he will be in the top ten goalies of all time.

Well so far that list is getting crowded we got

Roy

Dryden

Plante

Hainsworth

Hasek

Brodeur

Hextall

Sawchuck

Fuhr

some other guys

Price

However, thats not out of the question, I just think he needs a better team infront of him.

Edited by hatethosebruins

Well so far that list is getting crowded we got

Roy

Dryden

Plante

Hainsworth

Hasek

Brodeur

Hextall

Sawchuck

Fuhr

some other guys

Price

I think Hank is prolly better than Fuhr.

Roy Dryden Plante Hasek Brodeur, Sawchuck, are the ones there i see definately top ten.

Lundqvist is better than Fuhr imo.

Upon review I think you are right nine. Lundqvist is probably my favourite goalie behind Price. He's amazing, I've liked him for a while actually :lol:

Upon review I think you are right nine. Lundqvist is probably my favourite goalie behind Price. He's amazing, I've liked him for a while actually :lol:

Thank you. I honestly think he was the best goalie in the league last year. 11 shut outs my god.

Next year ranking the top ten goalies in the league.

1. Lundqvist

2. Price

3. Rinne

4. Vokoun

5. Miller

6. Hiller

7 Ward

8. Quick

9. Luongo

10.Niemi/Halak/Crawford

Thank you. I honestly think he was the best goalie in the league last year. 11 shut outs my god.

Next year ranking the top ten goalies in the league.

1. Lundqvist

2. Price

3. Rinne

4. Vokoun

5. Miller

6. Hiller

7 Ward

8. Quick

9. Luongo

10.Niemi/Halak/Crawford

1. Lundqvist

2. Price

3. Rinne

4. Miller

5. Crawford

6. Hiller

7. Quick

8. Ward

9. Vokun

10. Luongo

Vezina Nominees: Price Lundqvist Rinne

Btw U put Miller and Hiller after each other, it rhymes :lol:

1. Lundqvist

2. Price

3. Rinne

4. Miller

5. Crawford

6. Hiller

7. Quick

8. Ward

9. Vokun

10. Luongo

Vezina Nominees: Price Lundqvist Rinne

Btw U put Miller and Hiller after each other, it rhymes :lol:

I think vokoun will do better than miller.

Vokoun has a solid experienced defense in front of him for the most part.

And talent wise he is in the upper echelon. so thats my thinking there.

no halak? :D

I think vokoun will do better than miller.

Vokoun has a solid experienced defense in front of him for the most part.

And talent wise he is in the upper echelon. so thats my thinking there.

no halak? :D

I tried to fit him in. IMO he needs a goaltender to push him, make him strive for that starting position and steal a couple games from him. Which is what we had with Price and arguably Huet. I don't think Elliott is that goalie, Garon could have been a good fit. But look for Bishop to be the teams backup by the trade deadline.

However, the blues have vastly improved. They now have the veteran leadership they need for their forwards with Nichol, Steen, Backes, Langenbrunner,Cheechoo, and Arnott. On defense they have great youngin's, while Huskins and Jackman are good, they need I think, another vet to provide better depth and leadership.

1.Price

2.Lundqvist

3.Rinne

4.Vokoun

5.Hiller

6.Miller

7.Ward

8.Quick

9.Luongo

10.Fleury/Crawford/Halak/Niemi/Pavalec

Vezina nominees: Price, Lundqvist and Rinne

Vezina winner:Price

All stars: Price, Lundqvist, Rinne, Hiller, Ward, and Vokoun.

1.Price

2.Lundqvist

3.Rinne

4.Vokoun

5.Hiller

6.Miller

7.Ward

8.Quick

9.Luongo

10.Fleury/Crawford/Halak/Niemi/Pavalec

Vezina nominees: Price, Lundqvist and Rinne

Vezina winner:Price

All stars: Price, Lundqvist, Rinne, Hiller, Ward, and Vokoun.

I like the way you think 123 B)

I like the way you think 123 B)

B)

I think us eastern conference fans really underrate Quick. He's pretty amazing, and will be even better this year. I think he's a Vezina threat, and an easy top 5 selection IMO. I really don't get why people overrated Miller and underrate Quick.