The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Share your photos

Clues

Just some pics from our 3rd day trip around Lake Huron. The "red" thing that looks like a bridge is actually the worlds only functioning "Swing Dam". It was built in 1896 and was only used once in 1909. It was built to prevent water rushing down the canal in case of a ship damaging the lock gate. It is only used ( spring and fall) twice a year to make sure it works.  Here's a YouTube vid on it. 

GEDC2168.JPG

GEDC2176.JPG

GEDC2191.JPG

GEDC2195.JPG

GEDC2198.JPG

GEDC2216.JPG

GEDC2246.JPG

GEDC2253.JPG

4 hours ago, habs1952 said:

I'd make a real smart comment about how those relics must bring back memories for ya Kinot but, sadly, I remember a lot of them myself. :(

Great post. :6280: 

Thanks 52, I was a tad apprehensive about your comeback when I posted them. :)

• 1 month later...

Blackfriars Bridge was taken down today to be renovated and then brought back and placed in the same spot. I went down and took some pics, although I couldn't get very close.. Notice the humongous crane they used (there was another of the same size on the other bank). There were 2 very large ones and 2 smaller ones, if you can call them small. They cut it in half. I'll go and get some pics of the aftermath another time. Here's some history on it:
Blackfriars Bridge in London, Ontario, Canada is a wrought iron bowstring arch through truss bridge, crossing the North Thames River in 1875.It's a single lane bridge and carried traffic from Blackfriars Street to Ridout Street North. At 216 feet (65.8 meters) it is the longest working span of that kind in North America.

GEDC0069.JPG

GEDC0072.JPG

GEDC0076.JPG

GEDC0077.JPG

GEDC0080.JPG

GEDC0089.JPG

GEDC0092.JPG

GEDC0093.JPG

GEDC0096.JPG

GEDC0104.JPG

GEDC0109.JPG

GEDC0119.JPG