Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EHIW

Mikhail Grabovski

25 posts in this topic

Current team - Toronto Maple Leafs

The above is a shame, but you have to admit, he has improved a hell of a lot since leaving Montreal

The above is a shame, but you have to admit, he has improved a hell of a lot since leaving Montreal

So has just about anyone who left montreal :lol:

The verdict is still out on Pouliot. :lol:

Worst part was, we kept Sergei instead of Grabs and we eventually had to send Sergei packing.

Either way, Grabs was a lil too small to crack the habs lineup, we already had a plethora of small players to choose from(and to trade for :rolleyes: ).

Whatd we even get in return for him?

Nothing id really want from teh laffs. 2 first rounds and a second round would have been nice though ;)

Whatd we even get in return for him?

Nothing id really want from teh laffs. 2 first rounds and a second round would have been nice though ;)

Draft rights to Greg Pateryn? And Tor's 2010 2nd which was traded for Lang

It was skn

Theres always Komasarek! :lol:

The trade did make some sort of sense at the time. Sundin was exactly the type of big, talented centreman that the Habs needed. We see in retrospect that he sort of floundered the next season, but if he had just signed with the Habs when we acquired his rights for Grabo instead of getting into all this will he/won't he retire nonsense it could have made a big difference. You can't start the season half way through after all that fanfare and expect to excel.

The trade did make some sort of sense at the time. Sundin was exactly the type of big, talented centreman that the Habs needed. We see in retrospect that he sort of floundered the next season, but if he had just signed with the Habs when we acquired his rights for Grabo instead of getting into all this will he/won't he retire nonsense it could have made a big difference. You can't start the season half way through after all that fanfare and expect to excel.

Im not sure what the 2 have to do with each other, manatee?

It happened in the same summer - between these teams- but they werent part of the same deal. We got exclusive rights to talk to Sundin 2 weeks before UFA day (july 1) but nothing ever came out of it...i dont believe we even gave up anything for it (we never actually trade "for his rights" we simply got permission to talk to him).

Grabs was traded a few weeks later for a 2nd and prospect.

Oh the good old Carbo days where he refused to play Grabovski even when the Habs were down to 3 centers.

It happened in the same summer - between these teams- but they werent part of the same deal. We got exclusive rights to talk to Sundin 2 weeks before UFA day (july 1) but nothing ever came out of it...i dont believe we even gave up anything for it (we never actually trade "for his rights" we simply got permission to talk to him).

Correct. At least from what was revealed to the public, the two deals were not connected and the Habs didn't pay anything for Sundin because it was conditional on his being signed.

As for Grabs, yes he is a better player for Toronto than he was for us, but at the time, he was an under-sized center on a team full of under-sized centers and he had not yet done anything in the NHL despite his supposed talent. We got fair value for what he was at the time and the question should more be whether we wasted that draft pick or not (which is debatable). In terms of players like Grabs, SK74, Ribeiro, etc. they certainly all picked up their games once they left but none of them had particularly good attitudes while here and I don't know that we could have gotten too much more on the trade market. Personally, I'm happier to have built around guys like Plekanec and Koivu and Eller than to have kept those other guys.

Well there you go, you learn something new every day :P.

I must have misremembered it.

Edited by Manatee-X

Well there you go, you learn something new every day :P.

I must have misremembered it.

Rights to Greg Pateryn and TOR 2nd 2010 was the exact trade :/

Grabo was interviewed by Dmitry Chesnokov for Puck Daddy and he had some things to say about Montreal and the Habs

Montreal seems like an unhappy place for Belorussian players — you didn't cut it there, Sergei Kostitsyn(notes) was traded, and now it looks like his brother Andrei may be in hot waters.

"I think that people who worked for Montreal treated me absolutely great including the general manager. It's just every coach has his own view of hockey. And unfortunately it just didn't work out between me and the coach I was working with there. We couldn't find the common ground. At the very least he didn't see the player who could make the team better in me. I know that the general manager and the other management were satisfied with the way I played. Also if you look at all the guys who are no longer with Montreal, the guys who won the Calder Cup with Hamilton, they are not playing for the Canadiens. A lot of those guys are playing somewhere else. Unfortunately we couldn't keep the core who won the Calder Cup in Hamilton together. But it is [Montreal's] business. They are always searching for something, trying to find something. And I have to thank Bob Gainey who gave me a chance and let me go to Toronto."

You spent some time in the Canadiens organization from Hamilton to the big club. And now you're in Toronto — one of Montreal's fiercest rivals. Did it feel strange at first? Are games against Montreal still special for you?

"Games against Montreal are always special for me. Especially when you're playing in Montreal because the arena is so much different from the rest in the NHL — there's some kind of special energy. It was especially special for me during the first year I was with Toronto. And right now that passion has subsided. A lot of players who motivated me a lot to play better against them, or the coach are no longer in Montreal. It's a different team there now. And to me they are just another opponent now. And at the same time, unfortunately for me, they are not a lucky opponent. That's because I don't think I scored any goals against them in the last two years. That's something to work on."

Both Toronto and Montreal are cities crazy for hockey. Where is it more difficult to play?

"I don't think it really depends on the city. It's difficult in either. But it is actually a quite difficult question. I just really like playing in Toronto because everything worked out for me here. At the same time I still have a lot of friends in Montreal and I think it would have been easy for me there if I actually played. I think I would have been able to establish communication with anyone there. The most important thing is to play. And if you're playing everything else is different."

Full interview if anyone is interested is in the link below

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Puck-Daddy-chats-with-Mikhail-Grabovski-about-Ma?urn=nhl-wp11688

LEAFS' GRABOVSKI ADMITS HE MAY HAVE HAD CONCUSSION AFTER HITS

Toronto Maple Leafs forward Mikhail Grabovski missed only one game last season and it appears that he was lucky not to miss more as the forward admits he may have suffered a concussion after being hit by Zdeno Chara in a game against Boston on Feb. 15.

In an interview with Dmitry Chesnokov from Yahoo! Sports this week, Grabovski spoke about the injury.

"Well, I think I had a mild concussion," he told Chesnokov. "But I recovered pretty quickly. And now I am feeling absolutely fine."

At the time of the incident, the Maple Leafs stated that Grabovski did not suffer a concussion after twice being hit into the end boards by Chara in a game Toronto won 4-3.

"He would not have been allowed to return to play had he exhibited any symptoms of concussion," wrote Toronto president and general manager Brian Burke in an e-mail to the Globe and Mail after the game.

On the second hit early in the third period, Grabovski had trouble getting to his feet and skated slowly off the ice. He returned to play later in the third period and eventually scored the winning goal with just over a minute remaining.

In comments made right after the game, Grabovski acknowledged that he didn't mind the physical style of play from the Bruins.

"I like play like that," Grabovski told reporters that night. "I like when defencemen play hard against me. It gives me motivation and I play harder and faster."

Grabovski scored 29 goals and 29 assists last season, and finished third on the club in scoring.

TSN

Wrong thread, there is already a Grabo thread in ex Hab players

But I watched that game and I am not surprised, Chara was headhunting that night

Wrong thread, there is already a Grabo thread in ex Hab players

:blink: This is the NHL players thread,no?

It'll be closed I guess then.

:blink: This is the NHL players thread,no?

It'll be closed I guess then.

I just merged the 2 FH. ;)

I just merged the 2 FH. ;)

tks ;)

Wow. Thats a heck of a contract for a guy who's never broken the 60 point barrier.

5 years, $5.5m a year...

Premature.

When Gomez signed his deal he had several back to back 70 point seasons including one over 80 points. Grabs has yet to break 60 and may never do so.

Its easy to say how bad Gomez' contract is now, but at the time there was absolutely no indication he would go from the fireball speed-deamon he was in NJ to the perimeter player he was in NY and Montreal.

Premature.

When Gomez signed his deal he had several back to back 70 point seasons including one over 80 points.

I think the Grabovski contract is riculous

As for Gomez he had

70, 63, 48, 55,70 , 84, 60 then his big contact with the Rangers

There was IMO no indication that he was consistent 70 to 80 pt player that was deservin g of the $8 million the Rangers gave him

It was and still is a bad contract

His point totals have declined ever since

I think the Grabovski contract is riculous

As for Gomez he had

70, 63, 48, 55,70 , 84, 60 then his big contact with the Rangers

There was IMO no indication that he was consistent 70 to 80 pt player that was deservin g of the $8 million the Rangers gave him

It was and still is a bad contract

His point totals have declined ever since

I absolutely agree that the Gomez contract is bad & felt it was when it was signed - but - my response was to your comment that Gomez' is worse than Grabovski's and the point is: its too early to tell. Grabs' contract wont ever make Gomez' look good - its terrible - but in a few years his may be just as bad, thats the point.

I disagree that there was no indication Gomez was a 70 point player: prorated, he had been a 70 point player for something like 5 of the previous 7 seasons (he did have some injuries that limited his point totals some years), the problem is they paid him like he was consistently an 84 point player, which he never really was.

We'll see how bad, or shrewd this Grabs contract looks in a few years time though. Its risky at best imho.

If we're comparing contracts with Habs contracts, though, the $5M for what Gionta has brought us certainly doesn't seem so bad anymore!