The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Wade Belak

The same link as I provided above, but with this many people reporting it, I'm going to say it is true. DarrenDregor just tweeted about it as well.

What is going on with NHL tough guys this summer? :(

They say bad things happen in threes... :unsure:

It's really sad though. Each time it's been a shock. May they all rest in peace.

This is terrible. He was actually getting ready for Battle of the Blades and then I think he had a radio/tv gig lined up with the Preds. He was also reportedly out and about in the city last night and looking like he was having fun.

Yes, I heard about the Battle of the Blades but I didn't know about the radio/tv gig. If he was out the night before having fun I doubt it was a self-inflicted death similar to that of Rypien but it could be similar to Boogard's. Someone will have to post it here when the cause of his death is confirmed.

Also, a mod can take the "Not yet confirmed" out of the description of this thread now.

P.I.P Derek Boogard, Rick Rypien, and Wade Belak. All were taken much too young.

What is going on with NHL tough guys this summer? :(

Tie Domie.....BGL....George Parros ......maybe others must be having thoughts about this huh?

Too young,,,,,too soon. :(

For them all.

It all just goes to show that you really dont knowwhat is going on in people's lives when you are not around. If he did take his own life, thats 2 pro hockey players now to take their own lives this summer. I wouldnt expect someone with millions of dollars and presumably a good life to take their lives. Very sad

It all just goes to show that you really dont knowwhat is going on in people's lives when you are not around. If he did take his own life, thats 2 pro hockey players now to take their own lives this summer. I wouldnt expect someone with millions of dollars and presumably a good life to take their lives. Very sad

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/source-former-nhl-player-wade-belak-hanged-himself-145330760.html

ya this sucks..

Keep in mind that the typical enforcer does not make millions of dollars. Many of them move back and forth between the AHL and the NHL and even when in the NHL, they make close to minimum wage. A lot of these guys have shorter careers and probably can't sustain the lifestyle they got into while playing. I'm sure that's part of it in some cases...

Keep in mind that the typical enforcer does not make millions of dollars. Many of them move back and forth between the AHL and the NHL and even when in the NHL, they make close to minimum wage. A lot of these guys have shorter careers and probably can't sustain the lifestyle they got into while playing. I'm sure that's part of it in some cases...

Yes, but I'm sure the money than Wade built up throughout his career equaled over a few million all together. But i do understand that with all the fighting, blows to the head, bouncing around from team to team or even league to league that definitely could have had a huge impact on him. Also,like Tyson Nash said, he went from hockey being his whole life, completely dedicated to becoming a better player to retired and having nothing. This was a big change for him and maybe he just thought, "what's the point?"

So, CBC and other sources are now confirming that is was indeed suicide. I just read that his wife and jkids found out it was suicide through the media!

So sad.

First Boogard who was from Saskatoon & briefly played here in Regina

Second Rick Rypien who spent four seasons here in Regina.

Third Wade Belak born in Saskatoon & played four seasons there.

Two apparent suicides & one under an inquiry where his brother may have had a hand in his death.

Tough, tough, summer here in southern Saskatchewan.

RIP all three.

So, CBC and other sources are now confirming that is was indeed suicide. I just read that his wife and jkids found out it was suicide through the media!

Really a suicide? It doesn't make any sense that "sources" would confirm what the cops are doing to CBC. The cops don't generally let stuff like a suicide out until everything is known, from what I've heard. What I can take from it is that someone might be twisting the words "no foul play suspected" and turning it into suicide.

"Belak, 35, was found dead Wednesday afternoon in a downtown Toronto condo and hotel. Sources have confirmed to CBC News that police are treating the death as a suicide. According to a person familiar with the case, Belak hanged himself." - CBC

Something doesn't add up because it isn't like he was struggling to make a life for himself after life in the NHL. He was going to be on Battle of the Blades and also had work with the Predators lined up. I'm not jumping at you, I just think it is a little early to be reading too much into what "sources" are saying. The death, may end up being called accidental. Something doesn't add up, he was doing interviews promoting Battle of the Blades just this week.

Really a suicide? It doesn't make any sense that "sources" would confirm what the cops are doing to CBC. The cops don't generally let stuff like a suicide out until everything is known, from what I've heard. What I can take from it is that someone might be twisting the words "no foul play suspected" and turning it into suicide.

"Belak, 35, was found dead Wednesday afternoon in a downtown Toronto condo and hotel. Sources have confirmed to CBC News that police are treating the death as a suicide. According to a person familiar with the case, Belak hanged himself." - CBC

Something doesn't add up because it isn't like he was struggling to make a life for himself after life in the NHL. He was going to be on Battle of the Blades and also had work with the Predators lined up. I'm not jumping at you, I just think it is a little early to be reading too much into what "sources" are saying. The death, may end up being called accidental. Something doesn't add up, he was doing interviews promoting Battle of the Blades just this week.

The Cops don't publicly let stuff like that out until things are official but it's not rare for their to be legitimate leaks in the meantime. As for the fact that he wasn't struggling professionally post NHL, depression isn't exclusive to poor or unsuccessful people. The most troubling thing about depression is a lot of people are too embarrassed/don't know where to get help.

A lot of people are making this an enforcer thing and while I'm absolutely anti fighting in hockey, it's still a bit of a stretch at this point although it's definitely a call for further research. I mean we already know what a life time of blows to the head can do to an athlete's brain as he ages.

Edit: Article reporting that Wade had been suffering from depression,

The sources, who asked not to be identified, said Thursday that Belak took medication to treat his mental illness but had been loath to speak about it.

http://www.thestar.com/article/1048235--feschuk-belak-silently-suffered-from-depression-sources-say

It's so sad really.

The Cops don't publicly let stuff like that out until things are official but it's not rare for their to be legitimate leaks in the meantime. As for the fact that he wasn't struggling professionally post NHL, depression isn't exclusive to poor or unsuccessful people. The most troubling thing about depression is a lot of people are too embarrassed/don't know where to get help.

A lot of people are making this an enforcer thing and while I'm absolutely anti fighting in hockey, it's still a bit of a stretch at this point although it's definitely a call for further research. I mean we already know what a life time of blows to the head can do to an athlete's brain as he ages.

Edit: Article reporting that Wade had been suffering from depression,

The sources, who asked not to be identified, said Thursday that Belak took medication to treat his mental illness but had been loath to speak about it.

http://www.thestar.com/article/1048235--feschuk-belak-silently-suffered-from-depression-sources-say

It's so sad really.

Very much so.

Another terrible thing about depression is that some medications used to treat it have the side effect of causing suicidal thoughts in certain people. Doctors prescribing these medications need to stress that the person needs to find help if any tendencies of this kind occur, but even at that I'd imagine that it would be hard to work up the courage to talk to someone about it. Perhaps even moreso if you know that you're successful, well-liked and should be happy.

Edit: I'm not saying that that's what happened in this case, as I obviously don't know Wade Belak or his situation. I'm just saying that this stuff happens in general.

Archived