The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Chris Campoli

ColRouleBleu

I thought he looked okay last night which is pretty darn good considering he missed training camp and only just joined the team.

I agree. Im still not writing him off - ive seen some flashes of very strong play from him over the years. He's just coming into his prime years as a defensman so there is still an outside chance he can be an effective #4 dman. Time will tell.

With the new enforcement from Brendan Shanahan I would expect that Malone will see a suspension for the hit that targeted Campoli's head, right?

I think everyone and their brother is expecting that. I believe he'll have his hearing Monday morning.

With the new enforcement from Brendan Shanahan I would expect that Malone will see a suspension for the hit that targeted Campoli's head, right?

I've been fully supporting Shanny's position up to now,,,,I'm sure he'll make the right decision on this one also.

Guest habs1952

I've been pleasantly suprised with campoli.

I'm not saying Campoli will be an all-star but sometimes a player needs to find a team with a system that suits him. Maybe the Habs will bring out the best in him.

He traveled with the team to T.O. so that's a good sign he's OK.

I'm hoping Chris is able to play ASAP.

To be objective, Shanny has repeatedly stated no sudden movements prior to contact or vulnerable position. Campoli did both he ducked his head and reached down for the puck right before the hit. Malone did leave his feet though, borderline hit but I suspect Shanny has been spoken too about overdoing it with the suspensions and will let this borderline one go.

To be objective, Shanny has repeatedly stated no sudden movements prior to contact or vulnerable position. Campoli did both he ducked his head and reached down for the puck right before the hit. Malone did leave his feet though, borderline hit but I suspect Shanny has been spoken too about overdoing it with the suspensions and will let this borderline one go.

Tend to agree on all points.

As habs fans we all want vengeance, but the reality is, if you look at it objectively, you could call this either way, really...

Tend to agree on all points.

As habs fans we all want vengeance, but the reality is, if you look at it objectively, you could call this either way, really...

Weak argument IMO... and it would be nice if Shanny himself came out and explained his decision. It was blind side, a hit to the head and Campoli had no chance to protect himself as he was already trying to beat another Tampa forward on the play. Campoli's action was instinctual... Malone's was deliberate. Par for the course to find a way to avoid a call for the Canadiens IMO. I'm not impressed... another opportunity lost to clean-up the game. Selective tolerance will not cut it as far as I'm concerned and the controversy will continue.

Weak argument IMO... and it would be nice if Shanny himself came out and explained his decision. It was blind side, a hit to the head and Campoli had no chance to protect himself as he was already trying to beat another Tampa forward on the play. Campoli's action was instinctual... Malone's was deliberate. Par for the course to find a way to avoid a call for the Canadiens IMO. I'm not impressed... another opportunity lost to clean-up the game. Selective tolerance will not cut it as far as I'm concerned and the controversy will continue.

Yeah I don't get it. It's not like Campoli went low right as Malone was hitting him in an attempt to draw a penalty. He was playing the puck, Malone took advantage and went after his head. He didn't go through the body, like Shanahan has been advocating. I'm curious about the reasoning behind not suspending him. We've seen border line hits to the head receive suspensions already. What's the difference here? Abdelkader lowered his head right as McArthur hit him and McArthur got two games.

As I said it was borderline. Sometimes the best way to watch these is in real time, he did move right before being hit but as you pointed out it was not a clean hit. As I said, Malone did leave his feet and he elbow was high but Campoli was leaning forward. Also, Him not being injured was a factor and Malone not being a repeat offender. Also, the NHL has a open season on Habs policy that we forgot ;)

I am not shocked at no suspension. 2 games would have appeased both sides.

Yeah I don't get it. It's not like Campoli went low right as Malone was hitting him in an attempt to draw a penalty. He was playing the puck, Malone took advantage and went after his head. He didn't go through the body, like Shanahan has been advocating. I'm curious about the reasoning behind not suspending him. We've seen border line hits to the head receive suspensions already. What's the difference here? Abdelkader lowered his head right as McArthur hit him and McArthur got two games.

Malone left his feet to boot and was looking for blood all night... Shanny must already be under pressure by some GM's to tone it down... dumb... same old same old NHL arbitrary inconsistency. If I'm the Habs management I file a public questioning of this supposed "player safety" commission.

I'm pretty dissapointed there was no suspension, but I'm giving Shanny the benefit of the doubt for time being since:

1) He made the same decision with the same reasoning in a similar case with Eddler on Hall.

2) He really has no reason to be bias towards Montreal one way or the other.

Mainly, I'm just happy Campoli is OK and won't miss any time.

I'm not too surprised that there's no suspension. As I mentioned in the GDT, that hit turned messy real quick in about half a second. By the time Campoli stuck his neck out, Malone already had the hit lined up and neither of them could get away from it. I was expecting 2-3 games because of the partial recklessness of the hit since Malone was going for the big hit and wasn't exactly lined up properly (sort of like the Smith hit), but obviously Shanahan didn't really see it that way. I think with this verdict Shanahan is still giving a green light to the players to go for their big hits (which is good), and in this case it was only Campoli's movement before contact that saved Malone. By comparison, there was no real movement from Abdelkader in the MacArthur hit, and there was only a very subtle movement in the Smith hit (and the movement was the entire body slowing down, unlike leaning your head into the hit). In those cases (especially the Smith one), he went for the big hit, executed poorly, and paid the consequences.

All in all I think this decision was probably the correct one. It stings a little more than it should because Malone was acting like an idiot all game, so hopefully Campoli is ok and everybody can move on.