The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Chris Campoli

ColRouleBleu

Sorry Chris, it is time for you to go. Before his injury he could've been an asset but it feels like he's always the odd man out now and his play doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

A shame because he is a good defenseman but it just isn't working for him. I'd send him away as soon as possible.

Id say this is a fair assessment. Historically, he's shown he can be a solid #5 and even a decent #4 in certain situations. He looks lost & out of place here & I think its best for everyone (including Campoli) to move him before the deadline.

Id say this is a fair assessment. Historically, he's shown he can be a solid #5 and even a decent #4 in certain situations. He looks lost & out of place here & I think its best for everyone (including Campoli) to move him before the deadline.

I think the injury really came at a bad time, before he was able to establish any kind of a presence here. In his absence, we saw Diaz and Emelin pass him on the depth chart and Kaberle claim the PP QB role that Campoli might have otherwise filled. Campoli can be a serviceable guy on a team with a better top 4, but like we've been discussing about Kaberle, it must be difficult for him to be spotted 12-14 minutes a game and asked to play both sides with various partners. It's not an ideal situation for any D man, and unfortunately for Campoli, he hasn't done anything to warrant additional playing time. I certainly believe the Habs are trying their best to showcase him for a trade and that this is the main reason we're playing 7 D at the moment.

• 4 weeks later...

Campoli is playing like he wants to stay with the Habs for the rest of the season instead of showcasing himself to a prospective buyer.

I think that Campoli was by far our worst defenceman. And for some reason Campoli has been playing solid safe hockey recently. Maybe it is so he can be showcased. Or maybe the coach has Campoli playing within his skills. I suspect Campoli will be traded. But the good news is that our team has benefited from solid safe work displayed recently from Campoli.

I think that Campoli was by far our worst defenceman. And for some reason Campoli has been playing solid safe hockey recently. Maybe it is so he can be showcased. Or maybe the coach has Campoli playing within his skills. I suspect Campoli will be traded. But the good news is that our team has benefited from solid safe work displayed recently from Campoli.

Weber is our worst defenseman, which is sad but true. Campoli was just invisible most of the time.

Campoli should never have been brought in, in the first place. PG was in panic mode, likewise with Kaberle aswell.

It really just shows a lack of contingency planning by management. Once it became apparent that Markov wouldn't be ready within the first few month(s) of the season he needed some extra help on defense and Campoli was really the only option available. I would have made an effort on Staios as well but for all we know he may not have been interested in Montreal. Had PG acted and gotten us a better defenseman in July/August things could have been different.

This is probably an unpopular opinion but I think he could have actually been a solid contributor this year if it weren't for the injury.

That's just it, it's impossible to know. In retrospect, we didn't achieve any benefit from signing Campoli, but that was primarily because Campoli suffered a major injury before being able to establish himself, and by the time he returned, he had been passed on the depth chart by Emelin, Diaz, and the newly-acquired Kaberle.

The counter-argument to all the negativity is that PG seemed to recognize we needed help with the PP while Markov was out. And we can argue that Campoli hasn't been effective there, but then again, the entire team has been ineffective on the PP, so it's not just one guy. Kaberle wasn't available to us at the start of the season and despite the fact that he seems to have played well on the PP since he was brought in, it hasn't produced goals either. Many people here thought PG should have gone after Scott Hannan, but in Calgary, Hannan's not producing any more offence there (1G, 8A, -7, 0 PP points). And if Hannan had signed here, we would have likely not seen the emergence of Emelin in all probability.

As I said, Campoli's signing is easy to criticize in retrospect. He's no Markov, but there really wasn't another option available who could provide an offensive upside at an affordable price AND on a one-year deal. At the very least, the damage is limited to one season and if we can get something in a trade for him, then it gives some value to the signing that we didn't have previously.

It really just shows a lack of contingency planning by management. Once it became apparent that Markov wouldn't be ready within the first few month(s) of the season he needed some extra help on defense and Campoli was really the only option available. I would have made an effort on Staios as well but for all we know he may not have been interested in Montreal. Had PG acted and gotten us a better defenseman in July/August things could have been different.

Good post. Agree 100%.

Pro scouting dropped the ball on this one, Campoli really should not have been signed, even as a stopgap.

Perhaps it's more of him just ultimately being a poor fit (it happens). Granted, while our pro scouting has had its ups and downs, his previous numbers indicate that he certainly could have been good here. I was actually moderately excited about this something as I've always thought he was a good mid-range guy, but apparently things just have not gone well for him here. It didn't really help with fluke injury he suffered right off-the-hop either; not much you could do to predict that.

Perhaps it's more of him just ultimately being a poor fit (it happens). Granted, while our pro scouting has had its ups and downs, his previous numbers indicate that he certainly could have been good here. I was actually moderately excited about this something as I've always thought he was a good mid-range guy, but apparently things just have not gone well for him here. It didn't really help with fluke injury he suffered right off-the-hop either; not much you could do to predict that.

I dont think hes terrible. Just...meh.

Doesnt do anything to excite me, and I rarely notice him on the ice. It just seems hes taking up a space that could be used, even though that space would likely go to weber.

I dont think hes terrible. Just...meh.

Doesnt do anything to excite me, and I rarely notice him on the ice. It just seems hes taking up a space that could be used, even though that space would likely go to weber.

Maybe,just maybe, if he didn't get injured he could have been a better fit on our defensive corps.

I too was a lil intrigued about signing him. Mid range player, still in his prime, could have a career year. Didn't work out that way, possible that his injury affected his play. Never really found his grove. Going down on your first shift of the season has to play with your head. Then he comes back to a team in a downward spiral.

Another team may pick up on that.

He's more of the same, that's not a good thing.

He's as soft as the rest of our unwilling to drop the gloves D and is an elite skater but isn't as good offensively as Kaberle, has no potential to get better unlike the right shooting Diaz and his shot is nowhere near Yannick Webers.

Chris Campoli isn't a bad hockey player he just doesn't have any particularly useful skill to help our team.

He's as soft as the rest of our unwilling to drop the gloves D and is an elite skater but isn't as good offensively as Kaberle, has no potential to get better unlike the right shooting Diaz and his shot is nowhere near Yannick Webers.

Chris Campoli isn't a bad hockey player he just doesn't have any particularly useful skill to help our team.

Sums it up best IMO.

Great post.