The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Chris Campoli

ColRouleBleu

• 2 weeks later...

Campoli is agonizing to watch play. Good thing is we surely won't have him next year, hopefully Tinordi or Beaulieu can make the team and we can get rid of this guy.

We probably won't need him. He was brought in as a fill in for Markov in case a player like Diaz/Emelin were not impressive. So long as we have a coach that doesn't ice 7 D Campolis services won't be required.

We definitely need to start the season with 8 dmen so that we don't trade away our 2nd round draft picks once the inevitable injuries happen.

8 D is the way to go for me too but the number of bodies in and of itself doesn't mean anything. We went with an army of D this season and look what good it did us. We have to have the right guys in the right role.

8 D is the way to go for me too but the number of bodies in and of itself doesn't mean anything. We went with an army of D this season and look what good it did us. We have to have the right guys in the right role.

Exactly. Unfortunately I don't think Weber or Campoli will be good for us next season. I wouldn't mind giving St. Denis a good look, as for any UFA im not sure who to go after.

Injuries will happen to dmen nearly every year without fails.

In the past three years, we've had to acquire Marc-Andre Bergeron, James Wisniewski, Tomas Kaberle, Paul Mara, Chris Campoli, Brent Sopel, Alex Picard, etc.

Since it is inveitable, we might as well stock up on depth. The notion they won't be top-4 is irrelevant, as you don't expect your replacements for the top-4 to be top-4 themselves.

Since it is inveitable, we might as well stock up on depth. The notion they won't be top-4 is irrelevant, as you don't expect your replacements for the top-4 to be top-4 themselves.

of course but you at least need to have 4 top 4s to begin with

Let's be honest here, Campoli has been pretty good since the trading deadline.

He's still had his breakdowns defensively, but no question he's playing better. Much smoother with the puck and making better reads. With so many offensive D men ahead of him on the depth chart, there's still no room for him here, but maybe his play will allow him to cling onto another team next year.

He's still had his breakdowns defensively, but no question he's playing better. Much smoother with the puck and making better reads. With so many offensive D men ahead of him on the depth chart, there's still no room for him here, but maybe his play will allow him to cling onto another team next year.

Yup. It really is too bad about the injury. I still say he could have been a solid contributor otherwise, especially while Markov was out. It might have also meant not acquiring Kaberle which would have probably been a plus.

The other thing we should point out with respect to Campoli is that like the other D men, he seems to (not surprisingly) be more comfortable playing 6 instead of 7 D men. It also helps that he's playing with the same partner AND playing the left side again. Presumably, we'll see him back on the right side tonight with St-Denis replacing Weber in the line-up though...

• 3 weeks later...

This is one guy I wouldnt mind having back. He showed he can play with grit, and actually cared about playing here. He was a black and blue player, but wasnt expected to be. Thats what this team needs. I would love to see him sign a one year deal, and have Kaberle go byebye. He would be a good 6/7 D man, could step in and show guys how to work when he has to.

This is one guy I wouldnt mind having back. He showed he can play with grit, and actually cared about playing here. He was a black and blue player, but wasnt expected to be. Thats what this team needs. I would love to see him sign a one year deal, and have Kaberle go byebye. He would be a good 6/7 D man, could step in and show guys how to work when he has to.

I completely disagree I find he performed poorly defensively and I would be surprised if he gets a contract from anyone.

Guest habs1952

I thought the more Campoli played the better he got. I would have liked to have seen him play the whole season before deciding whether he should stay or go.