The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Brad Staubitz

Entertainment value and protection of our 2 best defenceman PK Subban and Alex Emelin for the next 20 games while the league tries to settle it's scores against our 2 biggest hitters.

It's not brilliant but it doesn't crack the Habs top 5 dumb move list of this past season even....ehem...cue impromptu list:

5. Building a defence corps around 2 broken knees, 2 sophomores, 2 geezers and 2 rookies.

4. Firing Jacques Martin

3. Trading Mike Cammalleri in the middle of a game.

2. Hiring a unilingual coach and immediately labeling him a lameduck

And number 1....

Re-signing Andrei Markov to a 3 year deal. The handling of this once great star has been an absolute abomination and between him and Scott Gomez's contracts they represent all that is wrong and will not get better with the Habs.

Welcome to the Habs!

who?

not comlpaing for a cheap 4th liner who can fight and adds some more size and toughnes,, 6 1 and 215.

Didn't know much about him either....but man,what a nice addition & impression he left on me last night vs Tampa.

i'm not familiar with Brad. He's played one game and there's already talk of throwing a multy year deal at the kid for good money. Can we watch him play for awhile before giving him the key to the city?

:lol:

and NOW we decide to get tough

The regular players on this team cost us enough games themselves.

A guy like Staubitz, who given 8-10mins of ice time can be very effective for this team. With himself and White and hopefully Moen, this team will finally have some character, after so many years of softness.

+1

Good lord, we're arguing for a multi-year contract for a goon?

Goons are like the dodo bird. Obsolete in today's NHL.

After one game no less. It's fun having a guy who can fight, and it should add some entertainment to the rest of a bleak season.

But let's maybe wait until the end of the season to decide if we want to bring him back. If we do, fine, but there's no reason to do it before seeing what else is available in the offseason, and there's certainly no reason to give him more than a one year deal at or near league minimum.

After one game no less. It's fun having a guy who can fight, and it should add some entertainment to the rest of a bleak season.

But let's maybe wait until the end of the season to decide if we want to bring him back. If we do, fine, but there's no reason to do it before seeing what else is available in the offseason, and there's certainly no reason to give him more than a one year deal at or near league minimum.

Well, I'd be fine with having a "tough guy" on the team, but I'm certainly not going to nominate Staubitz to stay after one game.

If it wasn't for Staubitz Emelin would have a concussion right now. I don't see how anybody can argue that he is worth "the league minimum".

I don't think there was any argument about that. The disagreement was paying the guy well above minimum on a multy year deal.The Hab's may well chose to offer him a deal next year. My concern would be dishing out a premium for a service that is readily available for any team looking for that type of player. Let's not panic and call for this kids immediate signing based on one game of play. I really doubt teams will be lined up creating a bidding war for Brad come July 1st. Players like him become available all the time on waivers for a reason.

1) I don't know of anybody suggesting big bucks for Staubitz. I think I suggested 2 years at 900,000.  If you think that's big bucks then you are penny-wise and pound-foolish. You need to be realistic. A player who is making 500,000 can't afford suspensions, because salary is cut for suspensions.

2) Players doing what Staubitz is doing are not readily available. If it wasn't for Staubitz, emelin would have a concussion now, he might be blind actually due to his steel implant. When is the last time the Habs had a player like this? If they were readily available we wouldn't be excited about the fact Emelin doesn't have a concussion.

3) Habs fans have spent the past 4 or 5 years whining that they would have a good team if only they didn't have half the roster on injury reserve. Why not try and PREVENT injuries like we did last night?

Noob,

We are going to have to agree to disagree.

The bottom line is that Emelin does not have a concussion right now. It could just easily be Eller or Subban. I think that is worth a little more than league minimum. You disagree.

I await the response that the way to retaliate against goons is to punish opposing teams with our mighty power play.

Noob,

We are going to have to agree to disagree.

The bottom line is that Emelin does not have a concussion right now. It could just easily be Eller or Subban. I think that is worth a little more than league minimum. You disagree.

I await the response that the way to retaliate against goons is to punish opposing teams with our mighty power play.

Subban was just as mad as Staubitz over malone, he had to be forced to stay on the bench because he was flipping out over that.

Staubitz interfered with Malone from the bench. He might get a suspension for it.

We definitely do not want Subban becoming our enforcer. He is a skilled player. We do not want him injured, and we do not want him getting long suspensions. Also, he would not be an effective enforcer, at least I do not think so.

There's so many guys capable of playing his role it's not even funny. There is absolutely no reason to pay a goon more than the league minimum, if we even pay one at all.

If they are so readily available why is it that I, as a 28 year old hockey fan, have zero recollection of any player doing for the Habs what Staubitz did last night?

I saw Staubitz at the end of the bench yelling @ Malone but never saw him touch Malone to "interfere" as you put it. Maybe there's a different angle from a different feed, but he doesn't even come close to touching Malone in this video.

Furthermore, Staubitz only went to yell @ Malone as they were pulling Malone away for the final time.

I don't know of anybody suggesting big bucks for Staubitz. I think I suggested 2 years at 900,000. If you think that's big bucks then you are penny-wise and pound-foolish. You need to be realistic. A player who is making 500,000 can't afford suspensions, because salary is cut for suspensions.

Players doing what Staubitz is doing are not readily available. If it wasn't for Staubitz, emelin would have a concussion now, he might be blind actually due to his steel implant. When is the last time the Habs had a player like this? If they were "readily available" we wouldn't be excited about the fact Emelin doesn't have a concussion. Habs fans have spent the past 4 or 5 years whining that they would have a good team if only they didn't have half the roster on injury reserve. Why not try and PREVENT injuries like we did last night?

You really make it sound like i'm anti toughness DA. :huh: I don't think i've indicated that anywhere in my posts.

There's nothing wrong with your position of desiring an enforcer. I was on the original BGL bandwagon when we first picked him up (even though i didn't care for the length and amount). He certainly flopped in that role here, and that may partially have been Martin's fault.

It's become apparent that the League will not change the role of the team enforcer (other then to get rid of the staged fight). Seems the Hab's now have come to that realization.

Paying ANYTHING more then league minimum for a player who solely fights,, IS an overpayment. It's not a case of being penny wise,,,but more a case of being Cap stupid, when a team dishes out those type of contracts. That extra 400K could make a difference for a team that is tight against the Cap EVERY year.

I will disagree with you about the availability of fighters. They are a dime a dozen. There's more then enough guys in the minors willing to come up and fight for that kind of money (minimum). The ones that can fight AND play other team roles might be scarcer. Is Brad one of those players??? I haven't seen enough of him to make that claim and i certainly wont be tossing a multy year deal at 700 to 900K at him after one game. I appreciated him last night in Tampa. I was applauding him in the GDT like everybody else for doing what he did. That doesn't mean i'm going to make a rash decision and sign this guy without looking at other options.

If they are so readily available why is it that I, as a 28 year old hockey fan, have zero recollection of any player doing for the Habs what Staubitz did last night?

Because management chose not to get that type of player in the past. The BGL experiment was a failure.

Part of his 17 penalty minutes is that he was kicked off in the 2nd period with a misconduct.

Look here:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/boxscore?gid=2012022820

5:56 Montreal interference - 2 min A. Emelin drawn by R. Malone

8:16 Tampa Bay fighting - 5 min R. Malone drawn by A. Emelin served by B. Segal

8:16 Montreal interference - 2 min B. Staubitz drawn by R. Malone

8:16 Tampa Bay aggressor - 10 min R. Malone

8:16 Montreal misconduct - 10 min B. Staubitz

8:16 Tampa Bay unsportsmanlike conduct - 2 min R. Malone drawn by A. Emelin

What did Staubitz do at 8:16?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ??????

Part of his 17 penalty minutes is that he was kicked off in the 2nd period with a misconduct.

Look here:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/boxscore?gid=2012022820

5:56 Montreal interference - 2 min A. Emelin drawn by R. Malone

8:16 Tampa Bay fighting - 5 min R. Malone drawn by A. Emelin served by B. Segal

8:16 Montreal interference - 2 min B. Staubitz drawn by R. Malone

8:16 Tampa Bay aggressor - 10 min R. Malone

8:16 Montreal misconduct - 10 min B. Staubitz

8:16 Tampa Bay unsportsmanlike conduct - 2 min R. Malone drawn by A. Emelin

What did Staubitz do at 8:16?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ??????

Because referees haven't handed out, or not handed out, stupid penalties before? Do you remember the game against the Rangers earlier in the year when Blunden smoked Dubisnky at the blue line? Blunden got called for interference despite the fact that Dubinsky had the puck and only lost it upon contact with Blunden. Staubitz was in the middle of the bench(one can only assume since he came flying to the end of the bench to yell at Malone), and came when Malone was getting removed from the "escarmouche" as we'll call it. Staubitz never laid a hand on Malone. I don't care what a scoresheet says because what is shown in the video and what is shown on the scoresheet is obviously different. If you can find me video evidence to prove me wrong--not some match summary written down by the league--then I'll admit I'm wrong and that you're right. However, until that happens, Staubitz was flagged with a stupid penalty, interference, called after the play was dead and he was on the bench for the whole time, and he never touched Malone. He stood up for Campoli which is nice to see someone do, but I don't get giving him credit for something he didn't do, both from the league and you, and seeing it was worth a 2 year contract.

How does a guy cost you games???Really??

A stupid one who goes berserk simply because it's his only talent will cost you games.

A fighter who doesn't know when to pick his spots is useless. If we have momentum and he takes a dumb instigator penalty that results in a momentum changing goal,,,,that's how he costs you games. I have no problem seeing a guy go after someone taking liberties with our players, because if that is allowed to continue,,,it takes away from our talented players game. That's called picking your spot. Some lunatic running around the ice trying to run players and instigate, is not my idea of an enforcer.

As i mentioned....i'm not familiar with Brad. He's played one game and there's already talk of throwing a multy year deal at the kid for good money. Can we watch him play for awhile before giving him the key to the city?

Where did I say "how does a guy cost us games"? Where?

All I said was that it seems people have the idea that a "guy who fights" will somehow cost the team a game(s). So what if he was to get an instagitor penalty? If it was done to protect one of our players, then I'm all for it.

What happens if TK gets a tripping penalty? Or EC gets a hooking penalty? ...and we lose a game because of this? Would you still moan and complain?

MTL needs toughness, whether it is Staubitz or someone else, this team needs it, and more than one player. The fact is, the team was soft and easily pushed around. Boston, NYR, Philly etc.. take advantage of this.

With a Staubitz, White, Moen, hopefully Schultz.. this team will atleast have some character and grit, whether they lose or win, the fans can atleast be proud that the team is not a pushoever.

There's so many guys capable of playing his role it's not even funny. There is absolutely no reason to pay a goon more than the league minimum, if we even pay one at all.

For sure. Lets continue to have the softest team in the league. That will certainly help us get into the playoffs and beat a team(s) like Boston or Pitts. or Philly or NYR etc... :rolleyes:

Subban was just as mad as Staubitz over malone, he had to be forced to stay on the bench because he was flipping out over that.

Two things. One - what would have Subban done? Bite his ankles? Two - do you really want to see PK fighting? He is far more valuable on the ice, than off of it.

1) I don't know of anybody suggesting big bucks for Staubitz. I think I suggested 2 years at 900,000.  If you think that's big bucks then you are penny-wise and pound-foolish. You need to be realistic. A player who is making 500,000 can't afford suspensions, because salary is cut for suspensions.

2) Players doing what Staubitz is doing are not readily available. If it wasn't for Staubitz, emelin would have a concussion now, he might be blind actually due to his steel implant. When is the last time the Habs had a player like this? If they were readily available we wouldn't be excited about the fact Emelin doesn't have a concussion.

3) Habs fans have spent the past 4 or 5 years whining that they would have a good team if only they didn't have half the roster on injury reserve. Why not try and PREVENT injuries like we did last night?

I agree.

MTL had good teams when they employed a Ewen, Roberge, Odelein, Nilan, Kordic, Maley, Stevenson, Murray etc...

Where did I say "how does a guy cost us games"? Where?

All I said was that it seems people have the idea that a "guy who fights" will somehow cost the team a game(s). So what if he was to get an instagitor penalty? If it was done to protect one of our players, then I'm all for it.

What happens if TK gets a tripping penalty? Or EC gets a hooking penalty? ...and we lose a game because of this? Would you still moan and complain?

Ummmm...

Why do people always think a "fighter" will cost us games.

I think i've already explained my opinion on the instigator penalty. Feel free to go back and reread it, because i simply pointed out that a player needs to pick his spots.

On another note,,,without putting on my moderator hat, you need to tread carefully with comments like this. "Would you still moan and complain?"

That type of comment can be taken in a number of ways and is why we discourage members from getting personal. It could be interpreted as calling a member a moaner and complainer which is a personal attack. You may not have intended to imply so but,, it certainly comes across that way. Try using terms like "Would you still feel that way" instead. See the difference? ;)

What happens if TK gets a tripping penalty? Or EC gets a hooking penalty?...and we lose a game because of this?

Slight difference comparing a 4 to 6 minute a game player with only a single agenda, to a player playing 2 to 3 times that amount with a different role

MTL needs toughness, whether it is Staubitz or someone else, this team needs it, and more than one player. The fact is, the team was soft and easily pushed around. Boston, NYR, Philly etc.. take advantage of this.

I don't recall arguing that point.

2 years at 900k IS a premium to be paying for a guy that can play 4 to 5 minutes a night, and fight. IF we were to sign him to a 2 year deal, it would likely be for league minimum. I suspect he would take that just for the security. Also in response to the suspensions, Last i checked a player doesnt get suspended for fighting..There no reason for him to be going around getting suspended for 10-11 games.

They are readily available, there are all sorts in the AHL, and they are put on waivers all the time. I also dont agree with the statement "if it wasnt for staubitz emelin would have a concussion". from my POV, staubitz didnt do THAT much to stop him...from one angle you could see him grabbing malones sweater, hardly preventing him from throwing a punch. Emelin doesnt have a concussion because he protected HIMSELF from malone.

99.9999999999% of the injuries we have had could in NO way been prevented by having brad staubitz in the lineup.