The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Brad Staubitz

No idea Cata. They misjudged the importance of team toughness for whatever reason. There has to be a balance somewhere in there and they simply missed the mark i guess.

Well I flipped out and spewed my anger and frustration at the beginning of the season about the teams failure to address their lack of toughness in the offseason after what happened to patches.

So I would like to take some of the credit for waking Montreal up to the realities of the game :lol:

But I would prefer an organization that can recognize these issues before their fan base does!

So I would like to take some of the credit for waking Montreal up to the realities of the game :lol:

We'll have to see what they put together next season before we hand out that medal. :P

Yup, but successful teams have tough guys who can also play hockey. Boston, Vancouver, Philadelphia, San Jose, etc... all teams that have toughness and skill in the same players. It doesn't do much if all you have are guys who play 6 minutes a game and no one will fight them.

Exactly what I want for Christmas. Clarkson, Clutterbuck, Neil.

And what you say about enforcers that no one will fight. Then we need a guy like Malone who doesn't send out a request to fight. It's just...you screwed up and now we fight,like it or not. And I think this Staubitz guy might have that very attitude. Hopefully!

No more of this BGL garbage where you send out invitations like your having a birthday party!!!

Exactly what I want for Christmas. Clarkson, Clutterbuck, Neil.

And what you say about enforcers that no one will fight. Then we need a guy like Malone who doesn't send out a request to fight. It's just...you screwed up and now we fight,like it or not. And I think this Staubitz guy might have that very attitude. Hopefully!

No more of this BGL garbage where you send out invitations like your having a birthday party!!!

Amen to this!

We'll have to see what they put together next season before we hand out that medal. :P

Ya that's true. We don't know that he will be here next year.

And to be honest I don't really care if we resign this guy. I just like the concept. I think there are guys available that could play better and fight better than Staubitz. As long as we sign someone to do the job.

And I would like to try drafting with the intention of finding the next Clarkson!

Guest habs1952

Word is he wants 7M per for 8 years after this monster season, and that's too rich for us. We should have locked him up last summer long term.

That should be posted in the negative thread. :lol: :lol: :lol:

99.9999999999% of the injuries we have had could in NO way been prevented by having brad staubitz in the lineup.

I'm trying to follow your thinking....

You must mean that even if an enforcer punches out a guy for hurting one of his teammates it's not going to help the player that got hurt.

That is true.

I think the point is though, that if you don't have an enforcer than the other team is thinking

"hey why not go injure someone on their team. They wont be able to do anything about it. We are losing badly, so we might as well take some sort of positive out of tonight's game". Like the hit on Patches. Here I go again with Patches :rolleyes:

So say last year we signed Steve Macintyre. And we were playing that infamous game against the bruins. The score is 7-0 for Montreal. The bruins are embarrassed and looking for a way to hurt the Canadiens. They can't hurt them on the scoreboard so they want to target someone. Chara sees Patches coming with speed and trying to squeeze between him and the boards. Chara wants to rub him out along the boards and there is nothing wrong with that. That's what he should want to do. But with a split second to make a decision on weather or not to push Patches head into harms way, Chara has to think to himself. Hmmm, I would really like to hurt someone here tonight before the clock runs down and I'm not afraid to fight Macintyre even though he's 250 lbs. But what if after I'm finished hurting Montreal's rookie star forward, Montreal's enforcer goes out of his way to injure one of our rookie star forwards like Tyler Seguin? No, I better not push Patches' head in there. I think I better just rub him out on the boards and be done with it. This is called a stalemate and it leaves both teams unharmed and that is how an enforcer can save you from some unnecessary injuries. Same thing as the Campoli injury. And that is just one small example of how an enforcer can benefit your team. I could go on :)

I wonder why this is the case. Do you think that Montreal at the time thought they were going to try and rebuild in the same mold as Detroit? And then they would have the same respect from the refs and other teams that Detroit enjoys?

If that's the case then I wish the Habs could have realized the error of there ways long ago. The only thing a team will be without fighters(not fighter, fighters)is an easy TARGET!

I'm not against team toughness as a rule, so don't take this post as such, but I do want to point out that for a few years there we were enjoying a fair bit of success by goading the other team into taking penalties and then burning them with our PP. How many years in a row did we have the best power play in the league? The year that we came first in the conference we had abysmal 5-on-5 play and pretty much rode the Kovalev power play show all the way to number one.

Again I'm not saying that toughness is a bad thing, all I'm saying is that there's more than one way to skin a cat ;)

Two years ago, near the end of the 2008-09 season, a Toronto player reinjured Andrei Markov.

We are an easy target if we do not have any real enforcers.

Staubitz is just part of what he needs. We need a group of enforcers.

However, some of you would rather be able to complain that we would be such a great team if we did not lead the league in injuries.

Two years ago, near the end of the 2008-09 season, a Toronto player reinjured Andrei Markov.

However, some of you would rather be able to complain that we would be such a great team if we did not lead the league in injuries.

If we had bostons fourth line of enforcers that can play at a certain level we'd all be for it, like parros

After one game no less. It's fun having a guy who can fight, and it should add some entertainment to the rest of a bleak season.

But let's maybe wait until the end of the season to decide if we want to bring him back. If we do, fine, but there's no reason to do it before seeing what else is available in the offseason, and there's certainly no reason to give him more than a one year deal at or near league minimum.

Agreed.

I have no problem with how he played the game the other night & you know what? Maybe there's a spot for him at league minimum, but this is a guy who's contract I wouldnt even consider looking at until say, late july, early august. Once we've gotten the main "players" on this team sorted out & we know how much money we have left.

I have no problem with how he played the game the other night & you know what? Maybe there's a spot for him at league minimum, but this is a guy who's contract I wouldnt even consider looking at until say, late july, early august. Once we've gotten the main "players" on this team sorted out & we know how much money we have left.

Well said Jedi ;)

Can't believe this guy spent the majority of the game 'playing' (and I use the term very loosely) with Plekanec.

But I can't even believe we're suiting him up in the first place.

Look, I get it, he's not Mathieu Darche. But who is? Let's remember, Darche didn't hit his prime until 34. This kid still has time to develop, let's give him a chance.

I'm trying to follow your thinking....

You must mean that even if an enforcer punches out a guy for hurting one of his teammates it's not going to help the player that got hurt.

That is true.

I think the point is though, that if you don't have an enforcer than the other team is thinking

"hey why not go injure someone on their team. They wont be able to do anything about it. We are losing badly, so we might as well take some sort of positive out of tonight's game". Like the hit on Patches. Here I go again with Patches :rolleyes:

So say last year we signed Steve Macintyre. And we were playing that infamous game against the bruins. The score is 7-0 for Montreal. The bruins are embarrassed and looking for a way to hurt the Canadiens. They can't hurt them on the scoreboard so they want to target someone. Chara sees Patches coming with speed and trying to squeeze between him and the boards. Chara wants to rub him out along the boards and there is nothing wrong with that. That's what he should want to do. But with a split second to make a decision on weather or not to push Patches head into harms way, Chara has to think to himself. Hmmm, I would really like to hurt someone here tonight before the clock runs down and I'm not afraid to fight Macintyre even though he's 250 lbs. But what if after I'm finished hurting Montreal's rookie star forward, Montreal's enforcer goes out of his way to injure one of our rookie star forwards like Tyler Seguin? No, I better not push Patches' head in there. I think I better just rub him out on the boards and be done with it. This is called a stalemate and it leaves both teams unharmed and that is how an enforcer can save you from some unnecessary injuries. Same thing as the Campoli injury. And that is just one small example of how an enforcer can benefit your team. I could go on :)

Im not necessarily saying that an enforcer cant help a team, my point was moreso that over the last 2-3 years, 99% of the injuries we have had would not have been prevented if we had an enforcer in the lineup. Even the chara incident is abit of a stretch.

That was 3 years ago now (man, time flies).

That player, I believe, was Grabovski and I highly doubt much would have changed. Enforcers are (thankfully) limited in what kind of retribution they could get on guys. Boston, toughest team in the league and look what Cooke did to Savard, look what's happened to Horton. It's not going to change as much as people hope or dream of. That's basically why Burke sent Orr down, he whined about how much the game is changing and he's wrong to whine but he's right that there's not really a place for these guys on a good team.

BTW - That game you're referring to, where Markov was injured, Laraque was sitting at the end of the bench and he did nothing.

That player, I believe, was Grabovski and I highly doubt much would have changed. Enforcers are (thankfully) limited in what kind of retribution they could get on guys. Boston, toughest team in the league and look what Cooke did to Savard, look what's happened to Horton. It's not going to change as much as people hope or dream of. That's basically why Burke sent Orr down, he whined about how much the game is changing and he's wrong to whine but he's right that there's not really a place for these guys on a good team.

BTW - That game you're referring to, where Markov was injured, Laraque was sitting at the end of the bench and he did nothing.

I know the enforcer role is diminishing but haven't you noticed that everyone seems to be played bigger, hitting more and we're playing with more sandpaper since we got this guy? Burke says alot of things but that doesn't mean he's right in fact he's done a subpar job with that team so far. I'd rather they play a smash mouth game down the stretch it's far more entertaining that's for sure :lol:

Untrue. He scowled very menacingly in Grabovski's direction.

Roy,

Just because Laraque was useless as an enforcer does not mean that enforcers are useless. It is an argument that shows up a lot, and a bad one.

In this case, punk Grabovski got away with it. He knew he could.

Also, do you think Chara would have nearly killed Pacioretty if we had Chris Neil, Evgeny Artyukhin, or any other player capable (and willing) of bashing Chara on our team?

Let's expand the sample size by thinking of other teams.

What do you think of Lucic bashing Ryan Miller earlier in the year? For Lucic, he knows that Buffalo is an obstacle, and therefore that Miller is an obstacle. Ergo, he injured Miller in order to improve Boston's regular season performance. That's how I see it.

Roy,

Just because Laraque was useless as an enforcer does not mean that enforcers are useless. It is an argument that shows up a lot, and a bad one.

Also, do you think Chara would have nearly killed Pacioretty if we had Chris Neil, Evgeny Artyukhin, or any other player capable (and willing) of bashing Chara on our team?

What do you think of Lucic bashing Ryan Miller earlier in the year? For Lucic, he knows that Buffalo is an obstacle, and therefore that Miller is an obstacle. Ergo, he injured Miller in order to improve Boston's regular season performance. That's how I see it.

Great post and right on the money. Boston gets away with murder because they can. We should at least have one of these types of players on the roster so that when we play Boston and the Laffs he's available in case we need him. One spot on the roster for a few game won't hurt us in the long run.

Roy,

Everyone thought Laraque was so useless because they hyped up what they thought he'd be able to do and it's just not reality anymore. Guys don't just go JUMP other guys and even if they do, that's what a lot of the rats want. 5 minute PP. The league is set up so you can't do that kind of thing. Yes I think Chara would have nearly killed Pacioretty if we had Chris Neil. Just like I saw Matt Cooke nearly (and in the end contribute) to ending Savard's career with Thornton, Lucic, Chara all in the game.

It's the reason goon loving guys like Burke are sending guys like Orr down, it just doesn't play anymore the way it used to.

It's the reason why you see teams with goons or fighters high end players suffering concussions just as much as our guys do.