The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2012-13 State Of The Habs

In his first season with us he had 59 points playing beside Gionta and POULIOT. In his second one with Gionta and Pouliot/Moen/Darche/Pacioretty he had 38 points.

Imagine if he got Gionta and an actual decent winger for a full season, im sure hed be back at 59 points or somewhere around there. I don't see how he can just transform into a player who puts up no points over night.

That doesn't look good for gomez, but imo it gives real props to Gio who's goals have risen since joining the habs-minus this last year, which a lot has to do with injuries. Gio would probably hit the 30 goal plateau (missed it the last few seasons by a few goals) with a true top 6 centre and winger. If he could basically do it on his own, image if he had help.

That doesn't look good for gomez, but imo it gives real props to Gio who's goals have risen since joining the habs-minus this last year, which a lot has to do with injuries. Gio would probably hit the 30 goal plateau (missed it the last few seasons by a few goals) with a true top 6 centre and winger. If he could basically do it on his own, image if he had help.

I definitely think part of it is due to Gomez.

I mean someone on here said a few months ago that theres a good reason why gomez wasnt putting up points last season. Yes he relies on his linemates, but unfortunately theres not much we can change about that, however I think we need to give him guys who know to always expect a pass. Instead of sticking him on the 4th line where hes playing along guys who expect to dump and chase and go into the corners for the puck.

I definitely think part of it is due to Gomez.

I mean someone on here said a few months ago that theres a good reason why gomez wasnt putting up points last season. Yes he relies on his linemates, but unfortunately theres not much we can change about that, however I think we need to give him guys who know to always expect a pass. Instead of sticking him on the 4th line where hes playing along guys who expect to dump and chase and go into the corners for the puck.

Like aforementioned, Gomez amassed 38 points in his 2nd season. Gio scored 29 goals that season, that means gomez only amassed about 9 points (give or take) without Gio's help. Over an 82 game season, that's not very much. That total should be much higher when playing in the top 6 and on the PP unit. Taking Gio away, that still leaves 3 other players that Gomez could've helped.

I think it speaks volumes about Gio's work ethic... Let's not forget he's also one of the smallest players in the league and played on a small line not known for their physical presence.

Guest habs1952

Grecohab and all: I understand what you are saying about the need for more offense. I just don't believe there are enough offensive players in our lineup. However, if we were able to shore up our defense, which I think is the easiest route this team could take this season, our offense could play with a bit more confidence because our defense, which could and needs to be much better, would be backing them up. Too many other opponents have too easy a route to Carey Price, who has to often stand on his head to even keep the Habs in games. I say shore up the defense first with good defensemen and then a defensive-forward. You'd then have some building blocks on which to get more offense. It did not take a day for this organization to fall, and it won't take a day to rebuild it, either. This team is at least a couple of years (I know, sounds like a broken record) away from being a playoff threat again. We may not even get back in the playoffs again this season with the team the way it is currently constituted. Don't mean to be negative, but from what I'm seeing, trying to make an honest appraisal.

The Habs are in a catch 22 situation. If they improve the offense then the more time they spend in the offensive zone (hopefully scoring more goals) means less pressure on the defense. If they improve the defense they can defend better but still lack the offense to score goals. The Habs need one of each, a top D-man and a scoring forward. With the defense we have now Carey Price has a 2.43 GAA, which is very good. We need to have the ability to score 3 goals a game.

Well I think that this team has improved only in toughness no other improvements. I am ready to watch The Bulldogs while on 2013 Tank Watch. I don't mind since this is a very deep draft so we'll get great prospects! Wouldn't mind being a basement team with most teams believing their still in it making are guys worth more.

Guest Regis2

Imagine if he got Gionta and an actual decent winger for a full season, im sure hed be back at 59 points or somewhere around there. I don't see how he can just transform into a player who puts up no points over night.

In his 1 st yr here who were his linemates ?

Gionta and Cammilieri ??

I don't know , Im asking

I do recall a number of people thinking that re unting Gomez and Gionta would be like 2005 n- 2006 all over again but it never happened

And his point totals have been declining over three years

He's become so predictable

In his 1 st yr here who were his linemates ?

Gionta and Cammilieri ??

I don't know , Im asking

I do recall a number of people thinking that re unting Gomez and Gionta would be like 2005 n- 2006 all over again but it never happened

And his point totals have been declining over three years

He's become so predictable

I remember for a while it was Gio and Cammy. But then they all got injured (I think at one point all 3 were injured) but then it must have been Pouliot as we had

Laps-Moore-Pyatt

Moen-Metro-Darche (?)

the wingers on the team that year were

Moen

Pyatt

Darche

Pacman

Ak

SK

Gio

Cammy

D'agostini

So over the course of the season that was his options. Pacioretty played in 52 games and D'agostini in 40. Lats was here for 20 then moved for pouliot, Darche played 29 games SK 40 so it was probably some mix up often.

I know in the playoffs though Pleks centred AK and Cammy leaving Gomez with gionta and who knows who else. My guess is pouliot.

Regis is exactly right. While Gomez may not have always had tbe best line mates, it's his complete regression into predictability that's been his downfall.

I'm not an NHL defender, nor a coach. However, the gameplan to deal with Scott is far to simple. Apply slight pressure at blue line, he peels to the boards and lobs a weak wrister either around the boards or towards the goalie for fear of physical contact. What makes this worse, is that he wheels up the ice with such speed that he can enter the zone, peel off, and fling a pass to nobody, long before anyone is in poisition for retrieval. The book on him without the puck is largely the same as well. Coast towards the net, avoid contact, skate past the net, wait patiently just to the side, behind the net in the hopes the puck comes back.

You mix this with his lackisdaisical approach to defence where we see him either water-skiing behind his man, or standing in the slot looking bewildered and you have a player that, aside from astounding speed, has completely checked out.

Regis is exactly right. While Gomez may not have always had tbe best line mates, it's his complete regression into predictability that's been his downfall.

I'm not an NHL defender, nor a coach. However, the gameplan to deal with Scott is far to simple. Apply slight pressure at blue line, he peels to the boards and lobs a weak wrister either around the boards or towards the goalie for fear of physical contact. What makes this worse, is that he wheels up the ice with such speed that he can enter the zone, peel off, and fling a pass to nobody, long before anyone is in poisition for retrieval. The book on him without the puck is largely the same as well. Coast towards the net, avoid contact, skate past the net, wait patiently just to the side, behind the net in the hopes the puck comes back.

You mix this with his lackisdaisical approach to defence where we see him either water-skiing behind his man, or standing in the slot looking bewildered and you have a player that, aside from astounding speed, has completely checked out.

Now that you mention it, I cant remember the last time I saw gomez take a hit :/

Well I think that this team has improved only in toughness no other improvements. I am ready to watch The Bulldogs while on 2013 Tank Watch. I don't mind since this is a very deep draft so we'll get great prospects! Wouldn't mind being a basement team with most teams believing their still in it making are guys worth more.

i agree it doesnt look like there are any changes and no other teams are interested in the likes of gomez kaberle desharnais markov gio pleks bourque or even cole for trades so no changes = same results.

i agree it doesnt look like there are any changes and no other teams are interested in the likes of gomez kaberle desharnais markov gio pleks bourque or even cole for trades so no changes = same results.

Don't count the Habs out of the picture to early,Tank is a term for armies and Bergevin is running a hockey team have no doubt about that.This team has a completely different perspective Bergevin and Dudley are winners and won't tolerate a losing mentality.

Don't count the Habs out of the picture to early,Tank is a term for armies and Bergevin is running a hockey team have no doubt about that.This team has a completely different perspective Bergevin and Dudley are winners and won't tolerate a losing mentality.

Sorry, but it's hard to separate cliché from substantive content here. Plenty of coaches and GMs and players are winners. It doesn't give them a divine mandate to win in perpetuity throughout the universe.

I understand that they don't have losing mentality. I just don't see big enough changes to make us a playoff team.

Guest Regis2
.This team has a completely different perspective Bergevin and Dudley are winners and won't tolerate a losing mentality.

So were Gainey and Carbo

If I was going to hang my hat on Bergevin's potential to get us to the playoffs, I would be counting on him making it more fun to be a Hab. You can't discount the mental difference between a depressed team and a loose happy positive team.

JM was a talented coach but couldn't have possibly been any fun to be around. PG couldn't have been any fun to be around. Carbo wasn't any fun to be around.

I think players might have been in aw to be around a legend like BG, but he's sooo serious. I bet he was still no fun.

I'm looking forward to the winds of change B)

Now to wait for someone to explain to me that when you're winning you're having fun :lol:

If I was going to hang my hat on Bergevin's potential to get us to the playoffs, I would be counting on him making it more fun to be a Hab. You can't discount the mental difference between a depressed team and a loose happy positive team.

JM was a talented coach but couldn't have possibly been any fun to be around. PG couldn't have been any fun to be around. Carbo wasn't any fun to be around.

I think players might have been in aw to be around a legend like BG, but he's sooo serious. I bet he was still no fun.

I'm looking forward to the winds of change B)

Now to wait for someone to explain to me that when you're winning you're having fun :lol:

Makes sense, look at the pens with bylsma in 24/7

what i don't understand is why the owners of the winipeg jets didn't keep dudley as the gm when they moved from atlanta to winipeg.(he has picked some good talent but he has also picked some bad ones too)

I'm not sure which thread to post this in.

Hockeyprospectus has posted a list of the 10 habs prospects.

Montreal Canadiens Top 10 Prospects

1. Alexander Galchenyuk, Center

2. Sebastian Collberg, Right Wing

3. Nathan Beaulieu, Defense

4. Danny Kristo, Right Wing

5. Brendan Gallagher, Right Wing

6. Jarred Tinordi, Defense

7. Tim Bozon, Left Wing

8. Charles Hudon, Left Wing

9. Michael Bournival, Center

10. Morgan Ellis, Defense

Justifications for the rankings are in the link. It is an exceptional ranking in that Colberg is higher than you'll find elsewhere, and Tinordi is lower. I know there's some sort of rule that we're not allowed to post links but I'm not sure if that's for any link or just blogs. This is a legit analysis site imo.

7. Tim Bozon, Left Wing

Justifications for the rankings are in the link. It is an exceptional ranking in that Colberg is higher than you'll find elsewhere, and Tinordi is lower. I know there's some sort of rule that we're not allowed to post links but I'm not sure if that's for any link or just blogs. This is a legit analysis site imo.

Cool good info. The rule only applies for blogs not reliable sites.

Guest habs1952

7. Tim Bozon, Left Wing

Great post DA.

Sorry, DA, I've removed the link. While Corey Pronman definitely has insight into the prospect world, his site has sections that he charges for to view content. As such, we've considered links he posted here to constitute promotion with personal gain involved. You are welcome to cite info and source it without the link, but we cannot allow the direct link unfortunately.