The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2012-13 State Of The Habs

Montreal's equally weak defense last year, without an effective shooter or imposing D-man, only allowed 2.61 goals against per game good for 11th in the league. Our offense was 19th in the league with only 2.52 goals/game. The power play was 28th in the league operating at an efficiency of 14.3%. It seems to me offense is the overwhelming problem, not defense.

Well our PP is lacking a trigger man, an issue that still isn't fixed. It's tough to actually measure a defense though because goals against and shots against rely heavily on other factors, forwards, goalie, coach/system. Some systems don't give up a ton of raw shots but give up really high quality ones when they do, some systems give up a lot of shots but mostly limit them to the outside.

To me, D was a significant issue. The only really redeeming quality was our ability to block shots and while that lowered the raw number of shots and even goals we allowed, it didn't help us get/maintain puck control. Watching all the games, blown coverage was a big issue from the D. FWIW, as bad as our PP was, it was also unlucky, we weren't terrible at generating chances on the PP's we got. Part of it was lacking that big shot and part of it was bad luck IMO. It's pretty clear our PK made up for that with a significant amount of luck.

Montreal's equally weak defense last year, without an effective shooter or imposing D-man, only allowed 2.61 goals against per game good for 11th in the league. Our offense was 19th in the league with only 2.52 goals/game. The power play was 28th in the league operating at an efficiency of 14.3%. It seems to me offense is the overwhelming problem, not defense.

I disagree 52, I don't feel that our D or goaltenders were the problem. IMO,,,,the anemic offense (especially on the 2nd & 3rd lines), the injuries, and the OT/SO losses, were our undoing. The 1 goal losses didn't help much either, as well as the 3rd period melt-downs. Too many times we couldn't hold a lead going into the 3rd, and our PP sucked. If it weren't for our PK,,,we would have been picking Nail.

That was our biggest issue with the PP last season. Kaberle improved it immensely upon arrival, but it did not translate to the score sheet as well as one would've thought, since Subban had a habit of missing most of his shots. And the only other bomber we have is Weber, who played sparingly (and rightly so)

Lets be honest, habs are a weak team not as bad as their standing might say but still crappy. Habs might as well and tank and grab a linemate for Galchenyuk. Mackinnon plays C/RW. What better way for MB to start this habs team with two great offensive prospects and a couple blue chip prospect's in the ahl.

Lets be honest, habs are a weak team not as bad as their standing might say but still crappy. Habs might as well and tank and grab a linemate for Galchenyuk. Mackinnon plays C/RW. What better way for MB to start this habs team with two great offensive prospects and a couple blue chip prospect's in the ahl.

Injuries was the big killer last year and Bergevin has taken steps to stop the abuse the Habs faced last season.The Habs have Prust,White and Moen who were both injured for most of the year,then the addition of Cole and Bourque last year has helped make the team a lot tougher than 2011-2012.Expect a team that expects respect this year and less injuries will be the result and it will show in the standings as well as on the team we ice every night.The teams that aren't prepared are in for a rude awakening,Shane Doan would make the change complete for opponents in the East.The Habs PP and PK will be tremendous and Plekanec will not be expected to carry the load as he has for years.

Guest Regis2

Injuries was the big killer last year and Bergevin has taken steps to stop the abuse the Habs faced last season.The Habs have Prust,White and Moen who were both injured for most of the year,then the addition of Cole and Bourque last year has helped make the team a lot tougher than 2011-2012.

I can't recall how many injuries occurred last year as a result of the opposing team's physical play against the Habs but I don't think Prust,White and Moen, Cola and Bourque make the Habs alot tougher

I can't recall how many injuries occurred last year as a result of the opposing team's physical play against the Habs but I don't think Prust,White and Moen, Cola and Bourque make the Habs alot tougher

You forgot to mention Colby Armstrong. ;)

Im not sure where or how Colby Armstrong suddenly got considered asa tough guy

When we signed him? Before that I believe people referred to him as a puke/pest who took a run at Saku and turtled from Souray.

When we signed him? Before that I believe people referred to him as a puke/pest who took a run at Saku and turtled from Souray.

Yep. He's nothing special IMO. On the other hand, he's only signed for a year, so the risk is pretty minimal. But he won't be anything but a decent spare part on the third line.

Yep. He's nothing special IMO. On the other hand, he's only signed for a year, so the risk is pretty minimal. But he won't be anything but a decent spare part on the third line.

I'm not bashing him or the signing but he was never seen as a tough guy around here, at least until we signed him. Towards the end of his time in Toronto he looked pretty much done but we'll see if he can stay healthy. I have no issue with taking the chance, he was a good player.

Guest Regis2

I'm not bashing him or the signing ........

Either am I

Just don't understand why we now feel we are a tough team and other team's won't take liberty with the Habs with Colby Armstrong ( and White, Prust etc ) in the line up

If teams want to play the Habs physical they 'll do it

We don't have any one or two ( or 3 ) players that strike fear into the oppostion

Either am I

Just don't understand why we now feel we are a tough team and other team's won't take liberty with the Habs with Colby Armstrong ( and White, Prust etc ) in the line up

If teams want to play the Habs physical they 'll do it

We don't have any one or two ( or 3 ) players that strike fear into the oppostion

It's not that playing tougher or whatever won't help, but in terms of our injury problems this past season, how many were related to us getting pushed around? The healthiest and best season we've had in decades we had really little to no toughness, it's really a chance thing. Most injuries are circumstance rather than being bullied.

It's not that playing tougher or whatever won't help, but in terms of our injury problems this past season, how many were related to us getting pushed around? The healthiest and best season we've had in decades we had really little to no toughness, it's really a chance thing. Most injuries are circumstance rather than being bullied.

We're definitely tougher, Moen white, Prust and Armstrong are real 3rd/4th line grinders. Not potential top 6 youngins-waiting on the lower lines-for their chance to crack the top 6.

But the injuries we've had over the last few years aren't necessarily due to being pushed around. Imo our losing record reflects the fact that we've been pushed around(and lost many games in the 3rd period). Others were just bad luck, like cuts from skates, pucks in face and broken bones from blocking shots.

Gorges knee according to him had been bad for a while, was just a matter of time. Marky's knee injuries had nothing to do with us being out muscled. One was a dirty hit from Grabs (believe that started it) and the other was probably one of the cleanest checks Cooke has ever dished out. Gionta missed time in his first season from blocking a shot (broken bone in foot) and the one that kept him out for the remainder of last year was a torn muscle he suffered shooting the puck.

It seems like some of our injuries have to do with training or lack of. Like Gomez hurting his shoulder taking a FO. Groin injuries and pulled muscles are common place in sports. Every team gets them and it can reflect a lack of toughness, being worn down during a game or through a long season. I really don't think that's the case for us.

We're definitely tougher, Moen white, Prust and Armstrong are real 3rd/4th line grinders. Not potential top 6 youngins-waiting on the lower lines-for their chance to crack the top 6.

But the injuries we've had over the last few years aren't necessarily due to being pushed around. Imo our losing record reflects the fact that we've been pushed around(and lost many games in the 3rd period). Others were just bad luck, like cuts from skates, pucks in face and broken bones from blocking shots.

Gorges knee according to him had been bad for a while, was just a matter of time. Marky's knee injuries had nothing to do with us being out muscled. One was a dirty hit from Grabs (believe that started it) and the other was probably one of the cleanest checks Cooke has ever dished out. Gionta missed time in his first season from blocking a shot (broken bone in foot) and the one that kept him out for the remainder of last year was a torn muscle he suffered shooting the puck.

It seems like some of our injuries have to do with training or lack of. Like Gomez hurting his shoulder taking a FO. Groin injuries and pulled muscles are common place in sports. Every team gets them and it can reflect a lack of toughness, being worn down during a game or through a long season. I really don't think that's the case for us.

The second hit was Eric Staal in the corner and Markov didn't see him coming,Staal just ran him over like a deer in the headlights.There was no attempt on his part to give him a break(Sportsmanship when you know the guy has a bum knee and he'd just comeback)a play I rank right up there with Chara's hit on Pacioretty,gutless.These plays result from players knowing that there will be no recourse for their cheap crappy AHL type plays.

It truly is a nice feeling knowing that the GM has the right players being signed to protect the integrity of the team and its fans from the punks that run amok in the NHL these days.There is nothing so degrading as watching the team and players that I value,having moronic bullies pushing our players around and laughing at them,knowing their will be no recourse either by our players.This due to the coaches and referees that are equally as asinine as said bullies,letting their players make a mockery of talented athletes with abilities the fans pay to see.Finally the owners have had enough and our new GM has obviously a mandate to put an end to this futility for everyone concerned.Thanks from this lifelong Hab fan for giving our team a level playing field where they will finally be respected instead of mocked for playing hockey the way it is meant to be played.

Guest habs1952

I don't see anything malicious

I didn't see anything 'malicious ' either but Staal certainly didn't have to wrap his right leg around Markov's knee.

Guest Regis2

To me it looked like Markov tried to brace himself or block Stall from getting to the puck ( @ the 30 second ) and they collided and Markov's knee gave out

Whatever

I don't think Prust, Armstrong , White and or Moen are goign to change the way teams decide to play against the Habs

Yes , Prust and Armstrong are better options than Darche , Staubitz , Blunden etc but they are just 3rd / 4 th liners. Every team has them . We seem to be over evaluating their value , worht to us .

No matter who we have on our team we are not going to be able to intimidate our way to preventing injuries or cheap shots from happening. It's the unfortunate nature of the game nowadays. Players get injured. Sometimes it's an accident, sometimes it's as a result of a vicious play. I don't think having a Georges Laraque type player (in his prime) is going to stop it from occurring.

No matter who we have on our team we are not going to be able to intimidate our way to preventing injuries or cheap shots from happening. It's the unfortunate nature of the game nowadays. Players get injured. Sometimes it's an accident, sometimes it's as a result of a vicious play. I don't think having a Georges Laraque type player (in his prime) is going to stop it from occurring.

being a lil tougher will help to protect some of our guys. But where the toughness will show, will be in the 3rd period.

We lost a lot of games in the 3rd period cos we were simply run down over 60 minutes. After being crashed into the boards for 40 minutes, you come back for the 3rd, your body hurts and you'd rather avoid taking another hit. over the last few seasons we lost a lot of games in the final 20 minutes. Some fans call it the 3rd period meltdown. With big guys who can run down the opposition, our skaters should still be fairly fresh and not completely black and blue from eating glass all game.

Habs defense:

Subban-Gorges

Markov-Emelin

Kaberle-Bouillon

spares: Diaz, St-Denis, Weber

It's an extremely weak defense. The offensive dmen are all passers, we don't have any effective shooters like Marc-Andre Bergeron, Sheldon Sourray, etc. to complement them. We don't have a physically imposing defensive defensemen, so we're going to allow a lot of goals. Finally, as weak as this defense is, it looks even worse once you factor in the eventual injuries.

Montreal was 11th against in goals last season...but we're going to allow a lot of goals this year with Emelin, Subban and Diaz all having an extra year of experience and Markov potentially being healthy? How does that make sense?

being a lil tougher will help to protect some of our guys. But where the toughness will show, will be in the 3rd period.

We lost a lot of games in the 3rd period cos we were simply run down over 60 minutes. After being crashed into the boards for 40 minutes, you come back for the 3rd, your body hurts and you'd rather avoid taking another hit. over the last few seasons we lost a lot of games in the final 20 minutes. Some fans call it the 3rd period meltdown. With big guys who can run down the opposition, our skaters should still be fairly fresh and not completely black and blue from eating glass all game.

Having stronger 3rd and 4th lines will allow them to play them more and keep the 1st and 2nd lines fresher later in the games.

Also, I don't get why people say a guy like Cole isn't "tough" he might not fight but he is one tough customer in front of the net and he hammers guys on the forecheck as well.

Pacioretty and Bourque also provide size and can both use their bodies as well.

Prust, White and Moen can all drop the gloves and chuck 'em. You don't need 12 guys who are heavyweights, you need a solid mix of size, speed, aggressiveness and skill.

The goal shouldn't (and hopefully isn't) be to go punch for punch with Boston and Philadelphia and other pathetic goon teams like that, but to have guys who will clear the crease when guys get in Price's (and other guys, but more than anyone else, Price) face and play smart so that you can get on the power play, as opposed to playing stupid and playing on the PK.

Lets also not forget that the habs could potentially have the best open ice hitting d-man in the league next year, and when a guy like Malone decides to stomp his feet on the ground and cry like the pathetic baby that he is that Prust and White will be very willing to tango with him.

I LOVE the mix of skill and toughness this team has next year, especially if Therrien lights a fire under Bourque's rear end, which I fully expect will happen.