The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

I read on HIO that there might be a player in the draft from Australia,and every one was very suprised,I have said this before in the forum that Australian Hockey has the second oldest trophy for ice hockey after Stanley,Australia belongs to the IIHF,and they have players in Europe.

There are a few NHL players playing there,who couldn't quite make it big here,just as there are players in New Zealand and England.These are mostly semi professional leagues.

It would be interesting to look at some players from these countries, Aussie athletes are fanatics about their sports and the Kiwis are very dogged,and I wouldn't mind seeing a team from the Netherlands,the Dutch are the tallest nation on earth,and they have some of the fastest speed skaters,they spend all winter skating up and down the frozen dykes,I think they actually invented ice skates,or it might have been the first nations,I will have to look that up.

I thought someone might be interested about our sport else where .I think I read somewhere they have a league in India,have to check on that,but they are one of the best field hockey countries.

I have a brain filled with inconsequential facts about all sorts of things I soak them up.

GO HABS GO :lol: :lol:

I just checked they have a national hockey league in India,but they are only able to play in certain areas of India as they have no indoor rinks,so it's only played in the mountains of 3 areas where they play outside on the highest rinks in the world,I don't care it's still hockey

The diplomats and staff of the Canadian and US consulates,play with them who wouldn't want to play in the mountains of India.

I checked the Finns actually were the first to use hockey skates,they made them from bones,the first one with metal were found in Sweden .

I checked the Finns actually were the first to use hockey skates,they made them from bones,the first one with metal were found in Sweden .

Well,,,,aren't you just the researcher :) , I didn't know that, (I thought it was the Dutch). I also didn't know that they played hockey "Down Under".

I will have to do some research of my own :D .

Maybe we can rename this hockey from around the world.

I know theres a player whos Nationality is from israel. He moved to Montreal at a young age and his parents told immigration they love the habs and want their son to be like Guy Lafleur. He represents Israel internationally.

I think you are right about that HTB,it should be Hockey around the world,can you change it I can't.

I did know they played in Isreal,have heard about that guy before.

I looked up the IIHF,wow what a suprise,the IIHF was started in Paris in 1908,founding members were,Belgium,France,UK,Switzerland & Bohemia now the Czech Republic.They have 51 full members,full members must have a governing body dedicated to the sport,the most suprising of these is India,Thailand,Turkey,South Africa,Isreal.

There are 16 assciate members,among them Kuwait, Malaysia,United Arab Emerates,now I did know they played in Kuwait and the UAE.

They have 3 affiliate members Argentina Chile and wait for it Nambia.

I found some of these countries quite suprising,if you want the full membership you will have to look it up,can't write them all down.I found the whole thing quite amazing,I don't think it's any longer Canada's game.

I know that a lot of these countries import players from North America,but apparently more and more locals are taking up the sport.

There are differing opinions about where hockey was first played,they have found relics that look like hockey sticks in a lot of places even in Scotland,but I think the modern game was most certainly played in Canada.As with all sports there is always some debate about this except perhaps Rugby,which is named after the school where it was first played.

I have got the bug now will have to find out even more.too much time on my hands.

Edited by maddienmike

Maybe we can rename this hockey from around the world.

I know theres a player whos Nationality is from israel. He moved to Montreal at a young age and his parents told immigration they love the habs and want their son to be like Guy Lafleur. He represents Israel internationally.

Wow. What a goal! Imagine the guy playing in the NHL.

And nice info Maddie. :)

• 1 month later...

Jun 22, 2012 5:04 AM in response to: sportsnet_ca

Re: Grange on NHL: Chance for Canadian teams

Take this into account.

It is a very different story in Canada. Only one fifth of the NHL’s teams are Canadian, yet the country’s fans account for nearly one third of the league’s revenues. And a good chunk of those Canadian dollars end up in the US through revenue sharing, in what has effectively become an effort to subsidize Americans to watching Canada’s national sport. The primary

beneficiaries of this scheme are American hockey team owners and a smattering of American fans attending games below cost.

The primary victims are Canadian hockey fans, particularly those in cities that could support a team but are deprived from having one (or two) by the NHL.

For example, the CBC is paying approximately $100 million a year for the broadcast rights to Hockey Night in Canada. Because these are so-called national broadcast rights, the monies

involved belong to the league, not the six Canadian franchises, and the league redistributes them to all NHL teams.

As a result, out of the $100 million a year paid by the taxpayer-owned CBC for hockey rights, only $20 million is allocated to Canadian teams—the other $80 million is sent to the US

The bottom line is that two-thirds of the NHL’s national TV revenues are earned in Canada, and

then redistributed across all of the NHL’s—primarily American—franchises.

And the actual distribution of Canadian TV money to American teams, once the effects of leaguewide revenue sharing are taken into consideration, is even more unfavourable to Canadian

teams.

NHL revenue sharing assistance to poorer NHL teams, all currently American, is partly funded by national TV revenues. It is estimated that at least $40 million a year is paid into the pool by Canadian teams. The exact composition and division of the revenue sharing pool is complex

and secretive, but we know that the pool is partly drawn from television revenues. In other words, American teams are entitled to at least 80 per cent of the national broadcast fees paid by CBC, *** and RDS. But after revenue share is paid out to poor US teams, the actual percentage

of Canadian national TV revenue going to American teams is higher—perhaps as high as 90 per

cent.

So as much as I would love Parise, Stall, Nash and Pavelec ( yes Pavelec is a better goalie than Luongo. His asking price is $4 million a year and I can see him going back to Russia if not paid accordingly. He was the glue to Winnipeg....a steal for the Leafs if they could throw the money at him), Burkes'hands are tied and he is nothing but a whipping boy.

Economics play a huge part and with the American population 10 times larger than us how can we compete anymore?

Also Toronto is worth over half a billion dollars according to Forbes magazine. So while we spend astronomically towards season tickets and merchandise how can we getn the best player available when ownership wants nothing more than revenue?

Yes it is a sad state of affair and you have to look no further than the Jays and Raptors.

So the chances of winning in Canada are slim. With the distribution of wealth heading south no wonder we are in such disarra. I see no cup in the future for any team on Canadian soil until we look after our own.

Just thought it was an interesting read, posted by somebody on the sportsnet website..hope you enjoyed reading it@!

Interesting read MLB not sure if this is the right thread,but very interesting none the less,but what about the monies paid by American networks,I have no idea what they are but they go into the pot as well,there is also the money paid by TSN.

But does Hockey Night in Canada pay for itself,the advertising revenues must be the largest for any program on CBC the viewer numbers must be one of the highest,so they can charge more.

I am not sure if this does actually make a difference to our chances of winning the cup,Vancouver could have won it last year,but I do not know what it was like before they had so many teams, but even then I know there were more American teams than Canadian,and I think the HABS inabilty to win the cup has nothing to do with the way the league is run more about how the HABS have been run for years.

Everything is about the bottom line,in this world I may not agree with it but I am a realist.In England untill Man U were floated on the stock exchange and Elton John bought Wimbledon the footbal clubs were owned by the the fans,that was before the premier league,I must admit it was better then,they were never private owners.

I do not think there is anything anyone can do about it,and if CBC lose the rights to HNIC,will we be better for it,it might be a good thing to lose Grapes and a few of those pundits on CBC.

GO HABS GO :wacko: :wacko:

• 4 months later...

I read on HIO that there might be a player in the draft from Australia,and every one was very suprised,I have said this before in the forum that Australian Hockey has the second oldest trophy for ice hockey after Stanley,Australia belongs to the IIHF,and they have players in Europe.

There are a few NHL players playing there,who couldn't quite make it big here,just as there are players in New Zealand and England.These are mostly semi professional leagues.

It would be interesting to look at some players from these countries, Aussie athletes are fanatics about their sports and the Kiwis are very dogged,and I wouldn't mind seeing a team from the Netherlands,the Dutch are the tallest nation on earth,and they have some of the fastest speed skaters,they spend all winter skating up and down the frozen dykes,I think they actually invented ice skates,or it might have been the first nations,I will have to look that up.

I thought someone might be interested about our sport else where .I think I read somewhere they have a league in India,have to check on that,but they are one of the best field hockey countries.

I have a brain filled with inconsequential facts about all sorts of things I soak them up.

not one of those countries would be able to beat the lower tier teams not alone compete in the olympics as for the dutch being tall and fast is great but when you are all and fast you're usually skinny.. and not to mention as we all know hockey is much more the size and skating. itd be nice to see those teams made up for sure but if it was Canada vs Australia in a hockey match it'd be 10 nothing after the first.. and where are you getting this Fanatic stuff from i know many people from Australia and some of them are athletes they are passionate but no different then a Canadian kid play hockey or baseball.. Some nations aren't supposed to play hockey as much as i love this game it will never be soccer/football.. we can't make it the worlds sport.