The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

The 2012 NHL unrestricted free agent class

Hopefully the NHL can eliminate these stupid 10+ year deals in the next CBA. I hate seeing guys sign for 13-year contracts that everyone knows will not be honoured in the final few years. It's embarrassing for the sport.

It's rediculous. I still say the obvious solution is just make salary = cap hit. It would still allow for a lot of creativity in contract negociations. I have no idea how you grandfather that in though with all these long-term contracts already in place.

WOW!!!!on Minny. In the final years they make $IM a year. What if that is below minimum wage?

Shea Weber is a RFA. What would you give for Weber? :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

they only make 2 million in salary this year

but they get 10 million bonuses

they only make 2 million in salary this year

but they get 10 million bonuses

In 2023-24 and 2024-25 they make $1M each.Maybe that will be below the minimum then.

Only problem with Minnesota is Backstrom is getting old, 34 years already (ah I just noticed he was born on the same day and year than me!).

you're still a puppy. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The National Post has an interesting article on the UFAs. It lists all of the teams,,who each team added,,,kept,,,and let go.

It also lists the UFA's Point Share Valsue,,(Point Shares are a representation of a player’s value to his team in terms of points in the league standings).

An interesting read. Full article here.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/07/04/zach-parise-ryan-suter-minnesota-wild-nhl-free-agency/

Shea Weber is a RFA. What would you give for Weber? :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Replying to myself. I think Weber would be a great fit with Gorges(friends), PK and Markov on the D. Price, Weber and Gorges hang out in Kelowna in off season.

I would give 2 of Y. Weber,Emelin and Diaz. One of Eller or LL. A 1st next year and one other bottom 6 player. Any takers? OK Gomez and/or Kaberle instead of some of the above. Of course that is with a S. Weber extended contract in hand. MB would be making bold statement about the future.

Seriously if we don't make a legitimate signing or trade then we are destined for another solid draft year. At least admit that to the fans instead of getting people's hope up.

IMO we are not as bad as last season's performance and have made positive changes in team chemistry. Only the perfect storm will get us into the finals in 2013, but we are going to the dance.

Seriously if we don't make a legitimate signing or trade then we are destined for another solid draft year. At least admit that to the fans instead of getting people's hope up.

Love the username, reminds me of Vegas :)

I think MB basically said we're standing pat and re-evaluating at camp.

WOW!!!!! Good to see a legit hockey market snag the biggest free agents, it's good for the game when teams like Minnesota end up being the biggest player on the market rather than the usual suspects.

Yeah but time will tell if this is a good move or not. They have $51 million dollars tied up in EIGHT players. Right now they have a number of young players taking up small amounts of cap space, but for how long? Good on them for making a bold move, but if this doesn't make immediate impact, I think it could be very problematic in a couple of years.

On the flip side, is there anyone we can try to pry out of minnesota now... ?

Time will tell but I think you will see a huge improvement in the standings next year. Assuming our conditioning is better (Thierrien seemed to stress it) and we get an actual "system" we likely will at least be battling for a playoff spot, if not higher.

Yeah but time will tell if this is a good move or not. They have $51 million dollars tied up in EIGHT players. Right now they have a number of young players taking up small amounts of cap space, but for how long? Good on them for making a bold move, but if this doesn't make immediate impact, I think it could be very problematic in a couple of years.

On the flip side, is there anyone we can try to pry out of minnesota now... ?

Time will tell but I think you will see a huge improvement in the standings next year. Assuming our conditioning is better (Thierrien seemed to stress it) and we get an actual "system" we likely will at least be battling for a playoff spot, if not higher.

Piere Marc Bouchard maybe