The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2012-13 If I Were GM

BigTed3

My money says Weber wants to be where hockey matters and Nashville doesn't have enough money to keep him. They couldn't keep a US boy so I doubt the Canadian boy wants to stay.

Uhm Hockey matters in nashville, they had like 23 sold out home game sthis year.

thats great

they averaged 97 percent attendance at home games.

Uhm Hockey matters in nashville, they had like 23 sold out home game sthis year.

thats great

they averaged 97 percent attendance at home games.

That's impressive for sure, but i still Weber leaving when he can. I have been told the cheerleaders are more popular than the players.

As much as I would love to have S.Weber I doubt it would ever happen. Nashville would want PK,Tinordi,Eller and some other lesser parts for this to be considered. As I said I would love to have Weber but not at that price. Just think about the package of prospects that the Rangers,Flyers,Wings,Penguins and others would offer and then we would have to beat that. VERY unlikely...

MB has reportedly offered Semin a 4 year deal worth 22Mil...Im a little skeptical about bringing him in but he has all the ability to be an elite player in the league in the right setting? We shall see...

As much as I would love to have S.Weber I doubt it would ever happen. Nashville would want PK,Tinordi,Eller and some other lesser parts for this to be considered. As I said I would love to have Weber but not at that price. Just think about the package of prospects that the Rangers,Flyers,Wings,Penguins and others would offer and then we would have to beat that. VERY unlikely...

MB has reportedly offered Semin a 4 year deal worth 22Mil...Im a little skeptical about bringing him in but he has all the ability to be an elite player in the league in the right setting? We shall see...

I'm not liking these Semin rumors, where did you hear this?

That's impressive for sure, but i still Weber leaving when he can. I have been told the cheerleaders are more popular than the players.

With suter leaving I agree. I just hate when people trash southern hockey. At least in places like Nashville, Carolina, La, and Anaheim. who aren't doing to badly.(tampa is starting to turn it back to where it was a few years ago under the new owner)

I think that would be a perfect deal for us, although I think the odds of this happening are quite low, especially after Bergevin already hinted he was done with ufa's. As asked before, what's the source for this and how old was the rumor?

I think that would be a perfect deal for us, although I think the odds of this happening are quite low, especially after Bergevin already hinted he was done with ufa's. As asked before, what's the source for this and how old was the rumor?

Ya I'd have no problem with that deal. I would love to know where that rumour comes as well. As I posted in the free agency thread Bergevin said he spoke to Semin's people but it didn't seem like a good fit. If that rumoured offer is from a few days ago, maybe that's what he pitched and Semin's camp wasn't interested.

I hope this is true. I don't know if that would be enough to get him though. Hurdler received more from Calgary. We have enough tough two way players and need some pure skill players. Grabs,Robero,SK/AK,Ryder,Dags,Cammy we have been letting to many skill players go. Yes you need team toughness and some size. What actually wins most games is skill. We lost a lot of games by 1 goal and even though I don't like them shootouts are part of the game now and may make the difference of playoffs or not.

This year is a building year, I don't think the GM will sign anyone to a big contract unless their going to be a part of the habs core. 2012-2013 season: Some habs prospects make the team in a role they can succeed, high draft pick, develop youth, added grit and good character guys.

28th place in the NHL

26th place in the AHL

If we're interested in unloading Kaberle, what about Detroit as a potential trade partner? Losing out on both Suter and Carle while subtracting Lindstrom and Stuart from their line up, they are a little screwed on talented puck movers. I have no idea who they can be expecting to QB their power play. There aren't really many free agents left who fit the bill and they don't have much they can give up in a trade.

If we're interested in unloading Kaberle, what about Detroit as a potential trade partner? Losing out on both Suter and Carle while subtracting Lindstrom and Stuart from their line up, they are a little screwed on talented puck movers. I have no idea who they can be expecting to QB their power play. There aren't really many free agents left who fit the bill and they don't have much they can give up in a trade.

Brilliant idea. Call Bergevin! :D Are there any players in Detroit that you would be sizing up?

I have no idea who they can be expecting to QB their power play. There aren't really many free agents left who fit the bill and they don't have much they can give up in a trade.

All they've got is White and Kronwall that are offensive defensemen.

I was thinking mid round pick/prospect at best, I don't see us getting much value back. More of a means to unload him without taking back salary.

Ya, and salary shouldn't be a problem for the cap-rich Wings.

I wasn't aware Kronwall was in the slightest bit offensive.

He's a more physical dude who is also offensive. Had 15 goals and 36 points last year. 2 more points than Lidstrom, although Lidstrom played 12 less games.

Ya, and salary shouldn't be a problem for the cap-rich Wings.

He's a more physical dude who is also offensive. Had 15 goals and 36 points last year. 2 more points than Lidstrom, although Lidstrom played 12 less games.

Kronwall is a true #1 defense man he is used in all situations. He was overshadowed in Detroit because of Lidstrom. Detroit still does need more help on D though because of the loss of Lidstrom and Stuart both leaving. I don't know who we would target unless it was just draft choices.

Since Nashville have just lost Suter and are possibly going to be trouble with Shea Weber does anyone here think they'd be interested in Yannick Weber for a draft pick? Like... A second or third rounder maybe. They only have Hal Gill, Ryan Ellis, Kevin Klein, and Roman Josi signed right now. Pretty poor, IMO. Yannick Weber isn't going to make it much better, but at least he's a guy they can throw out on the powerplay.

Since Nashville have just lost Suter and are possibly going to be trouble with Shea Weber does anyone here think they'd be interested in Yannick Weber for a draft pick? Like... A second or third rounder maybe. They only have Hal Gill, Ryan Ellis, Kevin Klein, and Roman Josi signed right now. Pretty poor, IMO. Yannick Weber isn't going to make it much better, but at least he's a guy they can throw out on the powerplay.

I agree my friend, Nashville is indeed in dare need of defensemen. I actually think that both teams can actually help each other by adressing some needs. As indicated in the past they are good trade partners. One thing that makes you stun is the huge cap space they have. Even if they resign Shea Weber to a 10M cap hit contract, they still will be under the floor.

Having so much money to spend, while waiting on Sutter to make up his mind, they find themselves obligated to spend at the remainders of the UFA pool, or upgrade via trade. We should take advantage of this situation and begin shopping our expendable (to me) defenders, like Kaberle, Diaz and Weber. Although i think they would not be interested in Weber, i think that Kaberle and Diaz would definitely attract their attention.

so, shoring up our defense...

i would offer Kaberle+Diaz for Roussell+Beck. Roussell is a hometown defensemen, 20 years old, decent player, No3 or No4 in Nashville's defencemen depth chart. Beck is a left winger, 21 years old and the jury is out there if he is an AHLer or an NHLer. We lack left wing prospects, and he seems a good fit. Decent numbers with the Admirals last year. To fill the whole of the Kaberle/Diaz departure i would sign Hannan (1year/1,5million) and Roszival (1year/2,5million). One year contracts by using Kaberle's salary, and with the benefit of coming off the books next year. As for Weber, i would look for a depth defensemen trade swap like EDM's Peckham (many Oilers fans like this proposal). So my defense this coming season would look like:

Subban-Gorges

Markov-Emelin

Roszival-Hannan

ex.Peckham-St.Denis

I agree my friend, Nashville is indeed in dare need of defensemen. I actually think that both teams can actually help each other by adressing some needs. As indicated in the past they are good trade partners. One thing that makes you stun is the huge cap space they have. Even if they resign Shea Weber to a 10M cap hit contract, they still will be under the floor.

Having so much money to spend, while waiting on Sutter to make up his mind, they find themselves obligated to spend at the remainders of the UFA pool, or upgrade via trade. We should take advantage of this situation and begin shopping our expendable (to me) defenders, like Kaberle, Diaz and Weber. Although i think they would not be interested in Weber, i think that Kaberle and Diaz would definitely attract their attention.

i would offer Kaberle+Diaz for Roussell+Beck. Roussell is a hometown defensemen, 20 years old, decent player, No3 or No4 in Nashville's defencemen depth chart. Beck is a left winger, 21 years old and the jury is out there if he is an AHLer or an NHLer. We lack left wing prospects, and he seems a good fit. Decent numbers with the Admirals last year. To fill the whole of the Kaberle/Diaz departure i would sign Hannan (1year/1,5million) and Roszival (1year/2,5million). One year contracts by using Kaberle's salary, and with the benefit of coming off the books next year. As for Weber, i would look for a depth defensemen trade swap like EDM's Peckham (many Oilers fans like this proposal). So my defense this coming season would look like:

Nice points, Greco. Perhaps Nashville would be interested in Kaberle. While he's clearly not the player he once was he may provide more stability to Nashville's backend than Yannick Weber would. Trading Kaberle (not sure if I would also move Diaz) saves us some cash that we may be able to reinvest in someone like Rozsival or Hannan. I'm not sure I would be looking to acquire both, but one of these players on a one year deal would be fine with me if we could move Kaberle.

Andrei Markov - P.K. Subban

Josh Gorges - Michal Rozsival

Alexei Emelin - Raphael Diaz

Francis Bouillon

I think that Nashville will be in need of dmen but there are better options than Weber still available on the UFA market. I cant see anyone giving us more than a 6th or 7th for weber.

Kaberle is an interesting thought, although my gut would still like to see him start the year here next year to see if last season was just an aberration.

Nice points, Greco. Perhaps Nashville would be interested in Kaberle. While he's clearly not the player he once was he may provide more stability to Nashville's backend than Yannick Weber would. Trading Kaberle (not sure if I would also move Diaz) saves us some cash that we may be able to reinvest in someone like Rozsival or Hannan. I'm not sure I would be looking to acquire both, but one of these players on a one year deal would be fine with me if we could move Kaberle.

Andrei Markov - P.K. Subban

Josh Gorges - Michal Rozsival

Francis Bouillon

I see that we share some common thoughts. We have to get bigger at the back end, to give Price a chance to improve his numbers. Since Subban/Gorges/Markov/Emelin are considered keepers, and with the addition of Bouillon, who doesn't fit the size criteria, its imperative, we add size using Kaberle/Weber/Diaz as trade bait...Short term contracts though...also imperative...

For fun. ;)

To Montreal:

Marian Hossa ($5,275,000 - UFA in 2021).

Niklas Hjalmarsson ($3,500,000 - UFA in 2014).

2nd round draft choice (2013).

To Chicago:

Tomas Kaberle ($4,250,000 - UFA in 2014).

Lars Eller ($1,325,000 - RFA in 2014).

Jarred Tinordi ($1,082,500 - RFA in 2015).

1st round draft choice (2013).

Erik Cole - Tomas Plekanec - Marian Hossa

Max Pacioretty - David Desharnais - Brian Gionta

Rene Bourque - Scott Gomez - Travis Moen

Brandon Prust - Petteri Nokelainen - Colby Armstrong

Niklas Hjalmarsson - P.K. Subban

Andrei Markov - Josh Gorges

For fun. ;)

To Montreal:

Marian Hossa ($5,275,000 - UFA in 2021).

Niklas Hjalmarsson ($3,500,000 - UFA in 2014).

2nd round draft choice (2013).

To Chicago:

Tomas Kaberle ($4,250,000 - UFA in 2014).

Lars Eller ($1,325,000 - RFA in 2014).

Jarred Tinordi ($1,082,500 - RFA in 2015).

1st round draft choice (2013).

Erik Cole - Tomas Plekanec - Marian Hossa

Max Pacioretty - David Desharnais - Brian Gionta

Rene Bourque - Scott Gomez - Travis Moen

Brandon Prust - Petteri Nokelainen - Colby Armstrong

Niklas Hjalmarsson - P.K. Subban

Andrei Markov - Josh Gorges

One of the more realistic trade proposals I've seen but no way I'd do it. Seems like a short term fix that hurts too much long term. Tinordi is one of my untouchables, I hope he lives up to it

One of the more realistic trade proposals I've seen but no way I'd do it. Seems like a short term fix that hurts too much long term. Tinordi is one of my untouchables, I hope he lives up to it

Tinordi is in no way an untouchable for me. I'd prefer to keep Nathan Beaulieu over Jarred Tinordi right now.

I'm not sure how realistic my trade really is, but I like the idea of adding the hulking Hjalmarsson to our lineup. I think he's someone you can build around. Adding Marian Hossa, for me, would be a dream come true. I realize he doesn't have many years left at the age of 33, but I think he can be a contributor for another few seasons definitely. I'm assuming he retires before his deal expires in 2021.