The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2012-13 If I Were GM

BigTed3

Tinordi is in no way an untouchable for me. I'd prefer to keep Nathan Beaulieu over Jarred Tinordi right now.

I see where you're coming from, out of all our D prospects I think Tinordi needs the most work, but has the most upside. If someone can teach him to skate, and add 20-30lbs of muscle, with his size and leadership could be very good down the road

I see where you're coming from, out of all our D prospects I think Tinordi needs the most work, but has the most upside. If someone can teach him to skate, and add 20-30lbs of muscle, with his size and leadership could be very good down the road

Fair enough.

However, I kind of like where our D is heading short-term and long-term. I think Subban will be an excellent number 2 for us for many years to come. Josh Gorges will be around for quite some time in a 3-4 capacity providing leadership as well. Alexei Emelin and Raphael Diaz are both showing promise at the NHL level and could make for good number 4, 5, or 6 defenders in the future. Both Nathan Beaulieu and Morgan Ellis seem like promising prospects as well.

Also, in my trade, the hypothetical addition of Hjalmarsson offsets the loss of Tinordi, IMO.

Fair enough.

However, I kind of like where our D is heading short-term and long-term. I think Subban will be an excellent number 2 for us for many years to come. Josh Gorges will be around for quite some time in a 3-4 capacity providing leadership as well. Alexei Emelin and Raphael Diaz are both showing promise at the NHL level and could make for good number 4, 5, or 6 defenders in the future. Both Nathan Beaulieu and Morgan Ellis seem like promising prospects as well.

Also, in my trade, the hypothetical addition of Hjalmarsson offsets the loss of Tinordi, IMO.

I think Subban will be an excellent number 1 for us for many years to come ;).

Agreed. And at this point, I'm of the opinion we should keep both Beaulieu and Tinordi and let them develop. They have very different skillsets, with Beaulieu hopefully replacing markov in two years and Tinordi ideally becoming the big shutdown guy we've been missing. By all accounts, Tinordi has made huge strides this past season and I'd like to see us develop our #1's instead of giving them away. Of our top prospects, the order in which I want to see them stay in the organization would be

1. Gally

2. Tinordi

3. Beaulieu

4. Collberg

5. Leblanc

6. kristo

7. Gallagher

I try not to get too excited about the potential of our young players. :lol:

Agreed. And at this point, I'm of the opinion we should keep both Beaulieu and Tinordi and let them develop. They have very different skillsets, with Beaulieu hopefully replacing markov in two years and Tinordi ideally becoming the big shutdown guy we've been missing. By all accounts, Tinordi has made huge strides this past season and I'd like to see us develop our #1's instead of giving them away. Of our top prospects, the order in which I want to see them stay in the organization would be

1. Gally

2. Tinordi

3. Beaulieu

4. Collberg

5. Leblanc

6. Kristo

7. Gallagher

I agree that Jarred Tinordi is high up on our list of prospects to watch, but he's totally tradable, IMO. Just not for... $7+ million centermen. :lol:

1. Gally

2. Tinordi

3. Beaulieu

4. Collberg

5. Leblanc

6. kristo

7. Gallagher

I would have put Kristo last in the list, even if i haven't seen him play, yet. I hope he proves me wrong, but i suspect another Schultz like situation.

I try not to get too excited about the potential of our young players. :lol:

I agree that Jarred Tinordi is high up on our list of prospects to watch, but he's totally tradable, IMO. Just not for... $7+ million centermen. :lol:

At this point, I'd say Subban is more than just "potential." He's proven he can play well and play big minutes at an NHL level. And while he hasn't reached his peak yet, even if he doesn't improve another iota, he's already a top-pairing guy.

As for Tinordi, yes he's tradeable in the right deal. Give me Pietrangelo or Doughty in a deal and I'll take the sure thing over the prospect here. But I just don't see the point in making trades to fill up one hole and create another: we haven't had a big shutdown D man for a long time and while Tinordi may end up being another O'Byrne, I think there's enough there that I'm willing to bank on him being better. There's a definite upside to bringing guys up in your own system and getting them signed to reasonable contracts early rather than waiting for ufa's to come along or giving up assets in trades.

At this point, I'd say Subban is more than just "potential." He's proven he can play well and play big minutes at an NHL level. And while he hasn't reached his peak yet, even if he doesn't improve another iota, he's already a top-pairing guy.

As for Tinordi, yes he's tradeable in the right deal. Give me Pietrangelo or Doughty in a deal and I'll take the sure thing over the prospect here. But I just don't see the point in making trades to fill up one hole and create another: we haven't had a big shutdown D man for a long time and while Tinordi may end up being another O'Byrne, I think there's enough there that I'm willing to bank on him being better. There's a definite upside to bringing guys up in your own system and getting them signed to reasonable contracts early rather than waiting for ufa's to come along or giving up assets in trades.

Just one point here and that is "Tinordi may be another O'Byrne"is O'Byrne went 79th and Tinordi 22nd. Now draft order isn't always right there is reasonable expectations it is a bit accurate. one good way to judge your talent is by interest from other teams.

He's already a number 1 D.

I wouldn't say "a" number one D.. But just "our" number one D. At the moment he is, obviously, our best D man. But we're not exactly stacked on the back end. Subban has only played 2 seasons, so its fine that he's not a legit #1 guy yes, but he's not far away from becoming a legit number 1, IMO.

Crosby is a no even?

I realize concussion issues are touch'n'go, but if the difference between trading for a generational talent or being left up the proverbial creek is a 22nd overall pick, you would really say no?

I do, however, agree with the E. Staal 'no'. Overpaid, underperforming.

To Montreal:

Patrick Kane ($6,300,000 - UFA in 2015).

Niklas Hjalmarsson ($3,500,000 - UFA in 2014).

3rd round draft choice (2013).

5th round draft choice (2014).

To Chicago:

Brian Gionta ($5,000,000 - UFA in 2014).

Louis Leblanc ($1,170,000 - RFA in 2014).

Yannick Weber ($850,000 - RFA in 2013).

2nd round draft choice (2013).

1st round draft choice (2014).

Max Pacioretty - David Desharnais - Erik Cole

Rene Bourque - Tomas Plekanec - Patrick Kane

Brandon Prust - Lars Eller - Travis Moen

Blake Geoffrion - Petteri Nokelainen - Colby Armstrong

Niklas Hjalmarsson - P.K. Subban

Andrei Markov - Josh Gorges

Alexei Emelin - Tomas Kaberle

I make Josh Gorges the captain.

If I were GM, I would be talking long and hard with the NYI about Scott Gomez. They are, imho, the perfect fit for Scott & here's why:

- Scott is american born & the Isles have made a point to market their US born players over the years. They love having americans, just like we love having Quebecois.

- Scott has played in NY before & said he loved the area. I have a feeling, that even with the Isles' terrible record, they would not be on Scotts "list of 3" teams he wouldnt accept a trade to.

- Scott's cap hit is $7.3m which is terrible for a team like us, but a cap basement team like the Isles would love to throw that on their books while only paying Scott $5.5m this year and $4.5m next.

- The Islanders have TONS of youth and one positive that has followed Scott around his whole career is his mentoring of young players.

- The islanders lack depth down the middle and Scott may actually be able to contribute there.

The best we could hope for in a trade would be a high (6th or 7th round) draft pick but I can live with that as the value (for us) is the cap space.

If I were GM, I would be talking long and hard with the NYI about Scott Gomez. They are, imho, the perfect fit for Scott & here's why:

- Scott is american born & the Isles have made a point to market their US born players over the years. They love having americans, just like we love having Quebecois.

- Scott has played in NY before & said he loved the area. I have a feeling, that even with the Isles' terrible record, they would not be on Scotts "list of 3" teams he wouldnt accept a trade to.

- Scott's cap hit is $7.3m which is terrible for a team like us, but a cap basement team like the Isles would love to throw that on their books while only paying Scott $5.5m this year and $4.5m next.

- The Islanders have TONS of youth and one positive that has followed Scott around his whole career is his mentoring of young players.

- The islanders lack depth down the middle and Scott may actually be able to contribute there.

The best we could hope for in a trade would be a high (6th or 7th round) draft pick but I can live with that as the value (for us) is the cap space.

Not a bad idea. I wonder how hard Bergevin is exploring moving Scott right now. :unsure: I could also live with receiving "nothing" back for Scott. I'd be happy to have the roster spot and cap space. There's nothing wrong with having added flexibility.

I have been thinking the Isles also. I can live with the return you suggested as well, just to get the contract off the books. Anything can happen but I will be (pleasantly) shocked if it does.

To Montreal:

Patrick Kane ($6,300,000 - UFA in 2015).

Niklas Hjalmarsson ($3,500,000 - UFA in 2014).

3rd round draft choice (2013).

5th round draft choice (2014).

To Chicago:

Brian Gionta ($5,000,000 - UFA in 2014).

Louis Leblanc ($1,170,000 - RFA in 2014).

Yannick Weber ($850,000 - RFA in 2013).

2nd round draft choice (2013).

1st round draft choice (2014).

Max Pacioretty - David Desharnais - Erik Cole

Rene Bourque - Tomas Plekanec - Patrick Kane

Brandon Prust - Lars Eller - Travis Moen

Blake Geoffrion - Petteri Nokelainen - Colby Armstrong

Niklas Hjalmarsson - P.K. Subban

Andrei Markov - Josh Gorges

Alexei Emelin - Tomas Kaberle

I make Josh Gorges the captain.

A fine trade, but Hjalmarsson I'm not familiar with.

I also favour Josh as captain with one caveat. The players pick the captain. I prefer a player's capt. to a management capt.

Our current status if we want to be realistic about it is:

Price-Budaj

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole

PLAYER A - Plekanec-Gionta

Prust-Eller-Bourque

Moen-White-Armstrong

Subban-Gorges

Markov-PLAYER B

Emelin-Bouillon

Who is not on the lineup? Gomez, Kaberle, Weber as expendables and Diaz, Geoffrion, Leblanc, Palushaj as question marks. So what is there to do, to fill the top-6 left wing and the top-4 defensemen hole? Options:

PLAYER A:

1. Bobby Ryan, too good to be true, and not sure i am willing to pay the rumored price.

2. Shane Doan, would be great but signing him means taking rid of Gomez asap. Another thing is that he is registered as a right winger, but no doubt a great acquisition.

3. Brendan Morrow, the most realistic option. He is available, the Stars need an experienced defensemen why not a Morrow-Kaberle trade one on one? Maybe add Palushaj?

PLAYER B:

1. Nicklas Hjalmarsson. The perfect fit. There have been rumors, coming from the Hawks need of a centerman. They want Plekanec, i would offer Desharnais+Bourque. If Plekanec is the asking price the return should be at least Hjalmarsson+McNeill+Morin or a 2nd in 2013.

2. Jay Bouwmeester. Another good fit. Also available, the Flames think they will fetch a big return but i think no one will bite the 6+ million cap hit. I insist that Gomez would be a decent player there and cap wise its an almost swap, but we should sweeten this deal like Gomez+Diaz+CGY 2nd in 2013.

Creative ideas as always Greco. :)

I had not realized Brendan Morrow was available. He would be interesting to add for the year, but I'm left wondering if Dallas wouldn't want futures for him instead of Kaberle. They may take Kaberle to offset the cap dollars, but would probably need a bigger sweetener than Palushaj. I can see them asking for Leblanc or one of our defensive prospects.

If Hjalmarsson was available for Desharnais and Bourque I would jump all over it.

Bouwmeester I am not really interested in. However, if a Gomez for Bouwmeester swap was possible I'd be happy to oblige.

Our current status if we want to be realistic about it is:

Price-Budaj

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole

PLAYER A - Plekanec-Gionta

Prust-Eller-Bourque

Moen-White-Armstrong

Subban-Gorges

Markov-PLAYER B

Emelin-Bouillon

Who is not on the lineup? Gomez, Kaberle, Weber as expendables and Diaz, Geoffrion, Leblanc, Palushaj as question marks. So what is there to do, to fill the top-6 left wing and the top-4 defensemen hole? Options:

PLAYER A:

1. Bobby Ryan, too good to be true, and not sure i am willing to pay the rumored price.

2. Shane Doan, would be great but signing him means taking rid of Gomez asap. Another thing is that he is registered as a right winger, but no doubt a great acquisition.

3. Brendan Morrow, the most realistic option. He is available, the Stars need an experienced defensemen why not a Morrow-Kaberle trade one on one? Maybe add Palushaj?

4. Danny Heatly is suddenly rumored that might be on the trading block. What does Minnesota need? Cap relief and experience in the lineup. I would consider him, albeit his salary, if Kaberle and Bourque is included in the deal.

PLAYER B:

1. Nicklas Hjalmarsson. The perfect fit. There have been rumors, coming from the Hawks need of a centerman. They want Plekanec, i would offer Desharnais+Bourque. If Plekanec is the asking price the return should be at least Hjalmarsson+McNeill+Morin or a 2nd in 2013. If Plekanec goes a decent short term solution would be Arnott (1year/2millions).

2. Jay Bouwmeester. Another good fit. Also available, the Flames think they will fetch a big return but i think no one will bite the 6+ million cap hit. I insist that Gomez would be a decent player there and cap wise its an almost swap, but we should sweeten this deal like Gomez+Diaz+CGY 2nd in 2013.

3.Keith Yandle. The best option out there. This scenerio will work only if Phoenix can't resign Doan, and give an ownership solution until late summer. Then they will be 12M under the cap floor, without RFA or UFA to sign and overpay. What would they need? Salary, a lot of salary, and warm bodies to fill holes like 2nd line C, 3rd line RW, an defensemen with experience, and forward prospects. What about Gomez+Bourque+Kaberle+Leblanc for Yandle? Many will think we will just unload unwanted assets, the truth is they will need both assets and their salary.

PLAYER A+B:

1. Clowe+Murray. We fill our needs with just one trade. I don't really know about their availability, but since SJ is in the Doan hunt, i think that they might be available. One can argue, why trade them now when their value will rise at the deadline. The answer is they need the cap space to sign Doan, Winnik, or someone else. I think a package of Bourque+Diaz+CGY 2nd in 2013, might get it done, i don't know.

2. Gagne+Scuderi. Similar like above. Uknown availability, but in the Doan hunt also, and need of some salary cap. Same trade, same offer, worth a try.

There was a good discussion on TSN 990(Team 990) this morning about Larry Robinson.

Didn't take him long to find employment after leaving the Devils organization.

I don't know what it is about the Habs organization, they just don't seem to want his services. He's been a head coach who won a stanley cup. Going one step further, he won a cup as the Devils head coach (2 as an assistant or some other position in the devils organization) and he did it with Gomez and Gio as his top line. Not saying he would've performed miracles with Gomez, but maybe (this is a big maybe) he could've helped to get a lil more out of Gomez.

He's a proven winner, a HOFer and he wanted to come to Montreal, even as an assistant to MT. I know MB at least called Larry's agent and even spoke personally with Larry after JJD was hired. This is Larry Robinson, he has a winning record on the ice and behind the bench. We have some exciting young dman coming up and a young dcore with PK, Diaz and Emelin. Why there wasn't an urgency to get him behind our bench, we'll never know.

What could you possibly ask him in a face to face that we don't already know about his resume?

He clearly has experience at the NHL level. From all accounts he's a class act and would've helped our young blueline. Larry had no objections playing 2nd fiddle to MT, he just really wants to be a part of the Habs organization. With Beliveau's health issues, he even inquired about being the Habs ambassador-Helping take some of Big Jean's responsibilities.

Imho it's our loss and the sharks gain.

Btw, for those who haven't heard, it looks like TSN 990 will going off the air in the near future. No more English sports radio in Montreal. There will be more information coming out tomorrow about it. Fans of the show have been urged to contact Bell (who funds the show) as well as TSN concerning the termination of TSN 990. It seems to be more politically motivated and not financial since the station did quite well and had/has no issues with advertising either.

Btw, for those who haven't heard, it looks like TSN 990 will going off the air in the near future. No more English sports radio in Montreal. There will be more information coming out tomorrow about it. Fans of the show have been urged to contact Bell (who funds the show) as well as TSN concerning the termination of TSN 990. It seems to be more politically motivated and not financial since the station did quite well and had/has no issues with advertising either.

There's a big protest on twitter which I'm involved in. But not gonna say anythng more, we can't get off topic.