The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2012-13 If I Were GM

BigTed3

Jedi, another interesting idea with respect to the Gomez-to-Isles plan. I realize that Gomez's actual salary continues to go down, which is why I'm still holding out hope he can be dealt, but at this point, I'd have to believe that if the Isles were interested in acquiring him before the start of the season that he'd have been dealt by now (there really isn't a lot to negotiate with this trade - any offer would be accepted!). At this time, I'd have to believe that teams are still nervous about the new CBA and what they'd be able to do with Gomez if it doesn't work out. I doubt we'll see any movement until a new CBA is ironed out, and then we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed.

Guest Regis2

There was a good discussion on TSN 990(Team 990) this morning about Larry Robinson.

Didn't take him long to find employment after leaving the Devils organization.

I don't know what it is about the Habs organization, they just don't seem to want his services.

Maybe our "new' :rolleyes: head coach felt threatened with Larry beside him.

when things start goign bad for MT there would be a knowledgeable, bi lingual person with previous head coaching experience sitting in the wings ready to move in

when things start goign bad for MT there would be a knowledgeable, bi lingual person with previous head coaching experience sitting in the wings ready to move in

What I don't understand is that they jumped on Daigneault as if he were the biggest free agent on the market. They could've waited a til they at least met with Robinson before signing JJD. Apparently (according to HIO) MThired JJD on the spot without even meeting him in person.

Someone really doesn't want Robinson here. Maybe the organization was insulted when Robinson chose Lou to introduce him at the bell centre the night his # was retired, instead of Gainey or another former Hab.

Who knows, just to me it seems that it goes deeper than just best man for the job.

My gut says the same thing but I try to think in the long term this the right move. Just having trouble believing it. Glad he is far away.

Someone really doesn't want Robinson here. Maybe the organization was insulted when Robinson chose Lou to introduce him at the bell centre the night his # was retired, instead of Gainey or another former Hab.

I missed that about Larry & Lou. I would take that as a very pointed snub.

Guest habs1952

What I don't understand is that they jumped on Daigneault as if he were the biggest free agent on the market. They could've waited a til they at least met with Robinson before signing JJD. Apparently (according to HIO) MThired JJD on the spot without even meeting him in person.

Who knows, just to me it seems that it goes deeper than just best man for the job.

According to TSN Robinson joined the Sharks so he could be closer to his grandkids who live in California.

Jedi, another interesting idea with respect to the Gomez-to-Isles plan. I realize that Gomez's actual salary continues to go down, which is why I'm still holding out hope he can be dealt, but at this point, I'd have to believe that if the Isles were interested in acquiring him before the start of the season that he'd have been dealt by now (there really isn't a lot to negotiate with this trade - any offer would be accepted!). At this time, I'd have to believe that teams are still nervous about the new CBA and what they'd be able to do with Gomez if it doesn't work out. I doubt we'll see any movement until a new CBA is ironed out, and then we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed.

Your thoughts make sense but one reason they may not have made a deal yet is that they still don't know how far below the cap they will be yet.

Right now they are WAAAY down below the cap floor, but they likely will sign a couple UFA and they have some RFA needing new deals. If I were Bergeron I would be trying to see if there is a fit there before the Isle tried to sign an UFA centre or two.

Your thoughts make sense but one reason they may not have made a deal yet is that they still don't know how far below the cap they will be yet.

Right now they are WAAAY down below the cap floor, but they likely will sign a couple UFA and they have some RFA needing new deals. If I were Bergeron I would be trying to see if there is a fit there before the Isle tried to sign an UFA centre or two.

Maybe this stuff is up in the air because of new CBA coming.

Guest archey

whatever P Kane does he does for P Sharp (to my mind) and to live with toews. we want him only in if hurts the hawks since we like sharp much more than kane...again..to my mind.

Hjalmarrson is ok. better than average, but not spectacular or anything. and his coach would matter much more than ice time or being a hab in general. of course....to my mind.

like your thinking though JR

Today, i am going to share with you some thoughts and a completely different approach from what we have seen here the last couple of weeks. So, Bergevin...newly acquired, highly ambitious GM of the Canadiens. Does he have experience at the specific position? No. I bet he likes to play it safe and avoid some traps, especially during his first season. He also would like to create his own opinion about the capacity of his roster. I know, i would. This means that he is or should be, extremely cautious about moving players around.

Add to this a fact that many here doesn't really realize. It occured to me by trading the rumors of the return Plekanec will fetch from Chicago. We are talking about the same player that one or two years ago was entering conversations of a trade swap with Jordan Staal. And now we are willing to let him go for Hjalmarsson, plus one or two Hawks prospects. It is very easy to realize why is this happening, if we approach the trade market as a whole. We were bottom dwellers, and if we consider Price, Subban, Pacioretty as untouchables, who do you think is desirable from our roster to other teams. Maybe Plekanec and quite frankly Cole (i wonder why there is no team interested). Lets face it. The value of our players is so low, that Bergevin will get fleeced the minute he puts his signature...

The solution? Don't trade anybody, of some value. Lets have another look at them. Of course we have to upgrade and a long road to do so, and this should be the top priority through all the organization. This need creates the million dollar question, that i think should be shared to us, although i think it never would. What kind of financial freedom is given to Bergevin, from Molson? Is it a white check, do whatever it takes for us to win, or are there restrictions, and what are those? Its imperative to define and answer this question, because the two options are so very far away from each other, and in this specific answer lies the short term future of the franchise.

Assuming Bergevin is given a white check, then things are less complicated. Explore asap all trade options for Gomez and Kaberle who takes on 11,5M of your salary, and if you don't find a suitable partner demote them both. Use this money as if they were obligated like Semin 2Y/7,3M (Gomez's salary) Roszival 1Y/3,25M and Gragnani 1Y/1M (Kaberle's salary). Of course with the current 8M space you resign Subban, Geoffrion, Palushaj.

Voila, here is your improved roster, for next season:

Price-Budaj

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole

Semin-Plekanec-Gionta

Bourque-Eller-Prust

Moen-White-Armstrong

ex.Leblanc,Geoffrion,Palushaj(call ups)

Gorges-Subban

Markov-Emelin

Roszival-Gragnani

ex.Bouillon,Diaz,Weber.

THE BAD THING IS THAT I DONT THINK BERGEVIN HAS A WHITE CHECK!

If I were Gm right now, I would stand pat. I would listen to offers but not do anything blockbuster. I would tell the coach to try to improve some players value. If at deadline we are out of contention( which I believe and hope we are) move a couple players namely Weber, Diaz, Kaberle and Bourque and possibly DD.

If I were Gm right now, I would stand pat. I would listen to offers but not do anything blockbuster. I would tell the coach to try to improve some players value. If at deadline we are out of contention( which I believe and hope we are) move a couple players namely Weber, Diaz, Kaberle and Bourque and possibly DD.

The only problem I see with this is that Yannick Weber, Raphael Diaz, Tomas Kaberle, and Rene Bourque may not have any trade deadline value. :( I mean, they certainly aren't getting traded right now. Depending on how they perform individually over the course of the regular season their value may only get worse. Sure, it'd be nice to believe Kaberle could fetch us a first rounder, but I see it as highly unlikely we get much of anything for those four players. David Desharnais is another story, but we may need to keep his services depending on how the team performs.

Would anyone here have any interest in R.J. Umberger? He's signed for five more seasons (he'll be 35 at the end of the deal) with a $4,600,000.00 cap hit. He can play center and wing. Shoots left so he might be a good fit for filling in on the second line wing. Has provided between 40 and 57 points in his last five seasons. I am not sure if he's strong in his own zone, but he does have good size. TSN.ca has him listed as 6'2" and 220lb. Wouldn't be too bad skating alongside Plekanec and Gionta! B) I would propose the following deal.

To Montreal:

R.J. Umberger ($4,600,000.00 - UFA in 2017).

4th round draft choice (2013).

To Columbus:

Scott Gomez ($7,357,143.00 - UFA in 2014).

Morgan Ellis ($900,000.00 - RFA in 2015).

3rd round draft choice (2013).

Columbus gets long-term cap relief by acquiring Gomez's contract, which ends three years earlier than Umberger's. They also acquire a decent defensive prospect in Morgan Ellis. Lastly, they advance their draft pick in next years entry draft. A draft that is considered deep, as far as I have read. Montreal gets short-term cap relief of a few million by dealing Gomez and we acquire someone to play on Plekanec's wing. A big body that can go to the net.

Max Pacioretty - David Desharnais - Erik Cole

R.J. Umberger - Tomas Plekanec - Brian Gionta

Rene Bourque - Lars Eller - Travis Moen

Brandon Prust - Petteri Nokelainen - Colby Armstrong

Would anyone here have any interest in R.J. Umberger? He's signed for five more seasons (he'll be 35 at the end of the deal) with a $4,600,000.00 cap hit. He can play center and wing. Shoots left so he might be a good fit for filling in on the second line wing. Has provided between 40 and 57 points in his last five seasons. I am not sure if he's strong in his own zone, but he does have good size. TSN.ca has him listed as 6'2" and 220lb. Wouldn't be too bad skating alongside Plekanec and Gionta! B) I would propose the following deal.

To Montreal:

R.J. Umberger ($4,600,000.00 - UFA in 2017).

4th round draft choice (2013).

To Columbus:

Scott Gomez ($7,357,143.00 - UFA in 2014).

Morgan Ellis ($900,000.00 - RFA in 2015).

3rd round draft choice (2013).

Columbus gets long-term cap relief by acquiring Gomez's contract, which ends three years earlier than Umberger's. They also acquire a decent defensive prospect in Morgan Ellis. Lastly, they advance their draft pick in next years entry draft. A draft that is considered deep, as far as I have read. Montreal gets short-term cap relief of a few million by dealing Gomez and we acquire someone to play on Plekanec's wing. A big body that can go to the net.

Max Pacioretty - David Desharnais - Erik Cole

R.J. Umberger - Tomas Plekanec - Brian Gionta

Rene Bourque - Lars Eller - Travis Moen

Brandon Prust - Petteri Nokelainen - Colby Armstrong

I don't know. Umberger feels a lot like Bourque on a worse contract. If we want another big winger who can pot 20 goals, I think I'd rather just bring back AK on shorter/cheaper deal.

We booted him because of his attitude, I don't see why we would want him back. Plus, Sergei is mainly a passer, not a scorer.

Carbo caused a lot of the crap that went on in that dressing room im betting and SK shoulda been pissed with the crap ice time Carbs gave to our role players use him right and i guarentee he becomes an impact player. Look what he did with Nashville playing with nobody on the third line and 2nd pp.

I don't know. Umberger feels a lot like Bourque on a worse contract. If we want another big winger who can pot 20 goals, I think I'd rather just bring back AK on shorter/cheaper deal.

Spot on. I like Umberger, but that deal is brutal & I said so when he signed it. Id consider moving gomez for an overpaid player with 1 year left in his deal...but not one who has longer than Scott in the deal. And I agree, if we're that desperate for a winger who can score once every 4 games, then just bring back AK for a 1 year deal.

Carbo caused a lot of the crap that went on in that dressing room im betting and SK shoulda been pissed with the crap ice time Carbs gave to our role players use him right and i guarentee he becomes an impact player. Look what he did with Nashville playing with nobody on the third line and 2nd pp.

I think you proved your own point though: he had crap ice-time/linemates here, but he didnt get any better in Nashville either. Thats 2 teams that gave him 3rd (and occasional 2nd) line duties. He's a solid bottom six forward but a poor-man's top 6. We've got enough of those imho.

I think you proved your own point though: he had crap ice-time/linemates here, but he didnt get any better in Nashville either. Thats 2 teams that gave him 3rd (and occasional 2nd) line duties. He's a solid bottom six forward but a poor-man's top 6. We've got enough of those imho.

I don't know, I think he got much better in Nashville actually. Two solid campaigns in a row including 17 and 23 goals on a very defensive team, good enough for being the Pred's top scorer in 2010/2011. He'll never come back to Montreal though after we ran him out of town and traded him for a bag of pucks, just like we did with Mike Ribeiro before him.

Simply go after sam gagne, patick kane,and sk74 and see what that line can bring in the NHL. Was a dream line in London. Love to see that with anyteam. Gagne and Kostitsyn can be acquired relitively easy, Kande would be the tough 1. Love plekanec but if we could do a trade like Plekanec, Palushaj FOR Kane i would take that.

I think thehabs have enough two way players, time to get offensive minded players roling.

ALSO

Gagne is a RFA so aquire his rights for say Diaz with a sign and trade (possibly try and see if they will take Bourque instead. And SK is a RFA as well.

I think thehabs have enough two way players, time to get offensive minded players roling.

I know SK may not want to come back after that gong show, but new management,coaching and a different team for the most part, never know.

ALSO

Gagne is a RFA so aquire his rights for say Diaz with a sign and trade (possibly try and see if they will take Bourque instead. And SK is a RFA as well.

I know SK may not want to come back after that gong show, but new management,coaching and a different team for the most part, never know.

Sounds a little easier said than done, sure it'd be a great line but you can't just pry a player like gagne for a defenseman who's not even sure to be on the roster next year, or an overpaid underachieving forward. If that were the case we could be in the playoffs with a couple phone calls