The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2012-13 If I Were GM

BigTed3

Sounds a little easier said than done, sure it'd be a great line but you can't just pry a player like gagne for a defenseman who's not even sure to be on the roster next year, or an overpaid underachieving forward. If that were the case we could be in the playoffs with a couple phone calls

Yeah... :rolleyes: There's absolutely no way we acquire Sam Gagner for Raphael Diaz. There's absolutely no way we acquire Patrick Kane for Tomas Plekanec. There's probably no way that Sergei wants to come back and play in Montreal.

Sounds a little easier said than done, sure it'd be a great line but you can't just pry a player like gagne for a defenseman who's not even sure to be on the roster next year, or an overpaid underachieving forward. If that were the case we could be in the playoffs with a couple phone calls

Ya I agree it sounds easier than it is. Defintely alot of work involved. Gagne has not done overly great in edmonton and I dont think they would have a hard time letting him go. If they dont want to trade his rights I would think about a offer sheet. The oilers have to tread carefully cause in 2 years they may be dishing out the cash to sign all these picks (erberle, hall, yakupov, nugent-hopkins, shultz, etc.)

Just saying if this became our second line over what we have now I think that the potential for a better line is most likely than plekanec and whoever is on that 2nd line.

Yeah... :rolleyes: There's absolutely no way we acquire Sam Gagner for Raphael Diaz. There's absolutely no way we acquire Patrick Kane for Tomas Plekanec. There's probably no way that Sergei wants to come back and play in Montreal.

Gagne so far has not hit 50 points in 5 seasons... I think he can but I dont see his value for rights being more than diaz.

07-08 49 points

08-09 41

09-10 41

10-11 42

11-12 47

Gagne so far has not hit 50 points in 5 seasons... I think he can but I dont see his value for rights being more than diaz.

07-08 49 points

08-09 41

09-10 41

10-11 42

11-12 47

Why would Edmonton trade his rights? He's a restricted free agent. They'll probably just sign him to a new contract in a week or two keeping him with their team. Has there been any news indicating that he won't sign with Edmonton or something of that nature?

Exactly, why would he ever come back here? He's the perfect example for player mismanagement IMO - a promising young player with great numbers in Junior and solid numbers in the AHL who was never given a fair shake in Montreal. Instead he's criticized for not excelling in a role he was never meant to play and traded for a career AHLer. And don't forget the attitude problems! One thing's for sure, Nashville really likes that trade.

I was disappointed SK never worked out here as I thought he'd be better than Andrei. That said he had a sever attitude issue in his last season. In case people don't recall he wouldn't stay on the ice to practice if he was a healthy scratch and when Carey asked where he was he told carey to mind his own business and leave him alone. Price shouted back are you too good for us?

It shows that he apparently thought he was above the rest of the team when he could never even crack the roster, and then tells players to shut up and leave him alone. I wouldn't take him back. He couldn't get along with our core the first time around what makes you think he will now?

I was disappointed SK never worked out here as I thought he'd be better than Andrei. That said he had a sever attitude issue in his last season. In case people don't recall he wouldn't stay on the ice to practice if he was a healthy scratch and when Carey asked where he was he told carey to mind his own business and leave him alone. Price shouted back are you too good for us?

It shows that he apparently thought he was above the rest of the team when he could never even crack the roster, and then tells players to shut up and leave him alone. I wouldn't take him back. He couldn't get along with our core the first time around what makes you think he will now?

The bridge is burned now no doubt. But I do think it's possible that situation could have been prevented if we had handled him better.

The bridge is burned now no doubt. But I do think it's possible that situation could have been prevented if we had handled him better.

It always takes two. We rushed him to the NHL at the thought of having him play with his brother, and then when we realized he needed to go to the minors he acted like a baby even when he was called back up. Its disappointing and I doubt that we will ever see Sergei in Montreal again.

Sad as I liked him.

Does anyone think that the Predators would be interested in a trade of Subban + Kaberle + ??? for Shea Weber?

I highly doubt it, Kaberle doesn't carry much value and the only way I see a Subban for Weber type deal is closer to the deadline and Weber states he wishes to go to July 1 and not resign. Of course Subban would have a contract by then

I highly doubt it, Kaberle doesn't carry much value and the only way I see a Subban for Weber type deal is closer to the deadline and Weber states he wishes to go to July 1 and not resign. Of course Subban would have a contract by then

As much as I would love to see Wber in a Hab uniform, I wouldn't trade Subban & Kaberle for him. Even if we threw in Gomez.

As much as I would love to see Wber in a Hab uniform, I wouldn't trade Subban & Kaberle for him. Even if we threw in Gomez.

Agreed. Unless Subban signs a short term deal here, not showing interest in staying long term and Weber agrees to sign here for a decent deal, which I think neither will happen. Some team, whether Nashville or not will sign Weber to an insane 12 year deal or CBA dependent, a shorter deal worth 10mil a season. I dont see that being Montreal, I hope Subban signs soon so all these rumors could slow down

Agreed. Unless Subban signs a short term deal here, not showing interest in staying long term and Weber agrees to sign here for a decent deal, which I think neither will happen. Some team, whether Nashville or not will sign Weber to an insane 12 year deal or CBA dependent, a shorter deal worth 10mil a season. I dont see that being Montreal, I hope Subban signs soon so all these rumors could slow down

I can see teams now going into a holding pattern until terms of the new CBA are announced. If your rights belong to a team for 10 years ( as speculation now suggests ),,it reduces the pressure on a team locking up key players to that long term deal.

It will be interesting to see how much bending the NHLPA does on this demand. PK could be a casualty of a new CBA. Then again,,,,this might be the added pressure to get a deal done now,, before things possibly change.

I can see teams now going into a holding pattern until terms of the new CBA are announced. If your rights belong to a team for 10 years ( as speculation now suggests ),,it reduces the pressure on a team locking up key players to that long term deal.

It will be interesting to see how much bending the NHLPA does on this demand. PK could be a casualty of a new CBA. Then again,,,,this might be the added pressure to get a deal done now,, before things possibly change.

Yeah I think that is about right, the holding pattern bit. Maybe even suggestion from the Count of Sesame Street, uh, I mean Bettman to cool signings.

Would you guys trade Subban for the best dman in the league?

This is a flexible question. Best dman in the league is whoever you think is the best dman. Would you trade Subban for him straight up?

I'd maybe trade him for pietrangelo, or doughty

but i'd rather have subban? I love the guy too much

I'd maybe trade him for pietrangelo, or doughty

but i'd rather have subban? I love the guy too much

I kind of feel the same. Also have special place in my heart for original Habs. But to get Doughty for him would be tough to say no to.

I feel the same, I prefer a young homegrown guy who is almost a number 1 defenseman to a slightly older version of him.

Except Subban was born in May of '89 and Doughty Dec. of '89. To this point Doughty has accomplished more. Homegrown or developed here, as in Eller and Gorges, to me are a little more special.

I'd trade PK Subban and Carey Price and 1st rounders for Ovechkin. Then I'd trade Gionta and Plekanec or whatever for Teamu and Koivu.

Ovechkin 9.5 - DesHarnais 1.5 -Patches 1.5

Plekanec 5 - Eller 2.5 - Selanne 4

A Kost 3 - Koivu 4 - Prust 2

Bourque 3.3 - Gomez 7.3 - Momar 2

White

Markov 6 - Emelin 3 56

- Weber 1

Bouillion 1 -

Neuvrith 2

Budaij 1

If I was GM, I would use the players new found fear of the next CBA changing ridiculous contracts and offer one up just to see what happens. Lets say you got Semin to bite on 7 years 30 million. He's 28, contract gets you to 35 and you in theory have a talented top 6 to play with Galchenyuk long term.

From our perspective it's a great cap hit for a 55-80 point scorer and from his it's security for what must be an insecure offseason getting worse by the day.

Is this overextension and crazy? Yes, but it's an example of using circumstances to your advantage as the Wild did.

I'm just saying:

Two and half

Semin Pleks Gionta

Moen Eller Bourque

Prust White Armstrong

Ahl-Gomez

That could be a pretty solid and offensively competent lineup. Then you could really throw Lars into the checking role most want to desperately see him in.

I've always been a huge Plekanec fan but if we want to be the best team we can in 2-3 years thinking about it moving him now for an available Bobby Ryan may make some sense.

So something like Plekanec + Kristo + Weber for Ryan.

I really think it is time to give Eller more offensive responsibility with good line mates and some powerplay time so he can fully develop not only defensively but offensively to be a solid second line center. We wouldn't be losing offensive production only defensive if we picked up Ryan.

our forward lineup could look like this

Patches - DD - Cole

Ryan - Eller - Gionta

Bourque - Gally/Leblanc/Gomez - Armstrong

Moen - White - Prust

The biggest question is third line center, the perfect scenario is if Gally is ready for 15 minutes a night on the third line with some PP time. Worst case scenario we let Gomez play another year with the big club (yuck). I love Plekanec but to save a log jam next year we pick up a great player who may not be available in a year in Ryan on a good contract to continue the youth movement and let our young centers develop.

I've always been a huge Plekanec fan but if we want to be the best team we can in 2-3 years thinking about it moving him now for an available Bobby Ryan may make some sense.

So something like Plekanec + Kristo + Weber for Ryan.

I really think it is time to give Eller more offensive responsibility with good line mates and some powerplay time so he can fully develop not only defensively but offensively to be a solid second line center. We wouldn't be losing offensive production only defensive if we picked up Ryan.

our forward lineup could look like this

Patches - DD - Cole

Ryan - Eller - Gionta

Bourque - Gally/Leblanc/Gomez - Armstrong

Moen - White - Prust

The biggest question is third line center, the perfect scenario is if Gally is ready for 15 minutes a night on the third line with some PP time. Worst case scenario we let Gomez play another year with the big club (yuck). I love Plekanec but to save a log jam next year we pick up a great player who may not be available in a year in Ryan on a good contract to continue the youth movement and let our young centers develop.

Ryan would be great in our top 6. My only issue is, Pleks is such a versatile player and we'd have to acquire another player to fill the other roles that Pleks plays so well. Imo Pleks would be a very hard player to replace, he plays so many roles on this team it would be hard to find a player capable of filling all the roles Pleks did.