The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2012-13 Habs Rumors

BigTed3

I believe the source for both the Havlat trade and the Bolland/Hjalmarsson trade are from @HockeyyInsiderr on twitter. He seems to be a pretty legit source, he's announced signings before even Dreger so far.

The tweet read: "On #SJSharks and #Habs: Hearing Havlat closer to MTL tonight then yesterday. SJ could take Bourque+Diaz/Weber+pick as per source. #Canadiens"

Next year's draft is said to be one of the best drafts since 2003, so the pick definitely makes more sense, but you never really know who really could be involved.

The tweet about Chicago read: "Wouldn't be surprised to see Bergevin deal with #Blackhawks. Sources confirm he likes Bolland and Hjalmarsson. #Habs #Canadiens"

When it sounds too good to be true, it probably is but (wow) would that be great!

If it gets done, I think the pick will a first rounder. If not, than wow Bergevin has fleeced the sharks! Maybe the Sharks don't want an injury prone guy...But even than, other teams will be willing to pay a lot more, but it's good. :D

If Bergevin gives away any first rounders I will be pissed. Havlat is a good hockey player, but extremely injury prone.

Just a thought, would you trade Plekanec+ Diaz for Bolland + Hjarlmarson

Nope. Habs trade away a 1st line center and a 6th defensemen for a 3rd line center and a 4th defensemen.

The rumor Havlat for Bourque+Diaz/Weber+pick, depending on the pick would probably be a complete steal for the habs, I'm not sure why the other team would do that.

Just a thought, would you trade Plekanec+ Diaz for Bolland + Hjarlmarson

I like Bolland, but he's making decent money for a 3rd line player. And Hjarlmarson seems to me to be overrated, with a salary that's slightly inflated because of the Sharks offer sheet to him a few years back. We don't need another #4 D man, so I'll pass on him, and I don't see enough value there to deal Pleks.

Not so much a rumor, as a suggestion that comes from a reporter from the NJ Star-Ledger, who speculates that the Devils might have interest in re-acquiring Brian Gionta to fill the void left by Zach Parise. They don't really have anything of interest for us to acquire back though. They're looking for a top 6 forward, which is why they might want Gionta, but dealing Gio gives us two holes in our top 6 if we don't get a Top 6 guy back. And they really don't have any top pairing shutdown D men outisde of Volchenkov, but I wouldn't want to trade for him unless we ditch a D man as well. And he's got 4 years left on his deal. To boot, the Devils don't have a ton of NHL-ready prospects and they'll give up their 1st in one of the next two years for the kovalchuk saga.

Something like Gionta + kaberle for Volchenkov and a 1st... I'd consider it. But I don't see a great fit here because if we get NJ's 2013 1st, then the Devils don't have a 1st for 2 years.

Gionta is a core player IMO, I don't think he should be traded unless the return was very good. It'd be creating another whole we'd have to fill, probably by overpaying. Gio's been living up to his contract, he's the captain and he competes every night. I am not sure we have much to gain by moving him.

And no, I'd NEVER deal Plekanec and Diaz for Bolland-Hjalmarsson. Hjalmarsson is a solid defenseman but not spectacular, and Bolland is a third liner who's never reached 20 goals. We'd be giving away our overall best forward and a solid third-pairing defenseman.

I believe the source for both the Havlat trade and the Bolland/Hjalmarsson trade are from @HockeyyInsiderr on twitter. He seems to be a pretty legit source, he's announced signings before even Dreger so far.

The tweet read: "On #SJSharks and #Habs: Hearing Havlat closer to MTL tonight then yesterday. SJ could take Bourque+Diaz/Weber+pick as per source. #Canadiens"

Next year's draft is said to be one of the best drafts since 2003, so the pick definitely makes more sense, but you never really know who really could be involved.

The tweet about Chicago read: "Wouldn't be surprised to see Bergevin deal with #Blackhawks. Sources confirm he likes Bolland and Hjalmarsson. #Habs #Canadiens"

Not to trying to cause anything but the @HockeyyInsiderr gets ripped on for not being very legit, player agent Allan Walsh wrote on his twitter "rumor guy is a TOTAL FRAUD. He Has no sources. Why do people follow this clown?"

Now that was a conversation was between @NHLGossip and @walsha(Allen Walsh)

Not to trying to cause anything but the @HockeyyInsiderr gets ripped on for not being very legit, player agent Allan Walsh wrote on his twitter "rumor guy is a TOTAL FRAUD. He Has no sources. Why do people follow this clown?"

Now that was a conversation was between @NHLGossip and @walsha(Allen Walsh)

There's a fight on twitter between him and Allan Walsh right now lol.

He also said an hour ago that Habs are talking with the Jacks about Umberger.

Guest habs1952

Not so much a rumor, as a suggestion that comes from a reporter from the NJ Star-Ledger, who speculates that the Devils might have interest in re-acquiring Brian Gionta to fill the void left by Zach Parise. They don't really have anything of interest for us to acquire back though. They're looking for a top 6 forward, which is why they might want Gionta, but dealing Gio gives us two holes in our top 6 if we don't get a Top 6 guy back. And they really don't have any top pairing shutdown D men outisde of Volchenkov, but I wouldn't want to trade for him unless we ditch a D man as well. And he's got 4 years left on his deal. To boot, the Devils don't have a ton of NHL-ready prospects and they'll give up their 1st in one of the next two years for the kovalchuk saga.

Something like Gionta + kaberle for Volchenkov and a 1st... I'd consider it. But I don't see a great fit here because if we get NJ's 2013 1st, then the Devils don't have a 1st for 2 years.

Gionta for Clarkson...straight up. :)

Shea Weber is an RFA. Speculation from TSN is that he was shocked to find out Suter is no longer a PRED. Last season he was awarded a contract after arbitration of 7.5 million. Potential that Weber could force a trade exists apparently. Didn't he play with Gorges as his defense partner in junior (may be wrong)?

Question: With some rumors this summer that PK could be trade bait (no confirmation)... could you see the Habs and Preds working something out with these two players being key in a trade?

Exactly, thats why I wanted someone to give a source.

It was off twitter as well. Sorry, I dont remember by who. Just said thats what MB offered him.Has recently said they are now out of the Semin race. I will try and find the source and start adding them with my posts. 5.5Mil/year is the most I would feel comfortable signing him for but he will probably get 6+...

Shea Weber is an RFA. Speculation from TSN is that he was shocked to find out Suter is no longer a PRED. Last season he was awarded a contract after arbitration of 7.5 million. Potential that Weber could force a trade exists apparently. Didn't he play with Gorges as his defense partner in junior (may be wrong)?

Question: With some rumors this summer that PK could be trade bait (no confirmation)... could you see the Habs and Preds working something out with these two players being key in a trade?

I love PK and would hate to see him go but to get Weber I think we would have to consider it...

Definitely. Shea Weber is better than P.K. Subban. He's also still really young. The type of player I would no problem throwing $8.5 million per season at.

Nashville won't trade him. They will either resign him, or he goes for arbitration, earns 7,5M this coming season, and enters the UFA 2013 class. I guess we can wait and offer him that 8,5M contract next year, and play WITH Subban. Lets hope we can unload some contracts like Gomez and Kaberle for next years UFA class which seems quite exciting.

Nashville won't trade him. They will either resign him, or he goes for arbitration, earns 7,5M this coming season, and enters the UFA 2013 class. I guess we can wait and offer him that 8,5M contract next year, and play WITH Subban. Lets hope we can unload some contracts like Gomez and Kaberle for next years UFA class which seems quite exciting.

True. However, I can only imagine the offers Shea Weber would get as an unrestricted free agent. Unless the new CBA address crazy deals he would end up with $9 million per season for 15 years, or something mental like that.

Not just that, if he hits UFA status simple odds has us not landing him. You can bet Weber is going to get at least the same amount of attention Suter did. If there's even a hint Nashville might have to move him because they can't lose him for nothing I'd be displeased if we refused to talk on the grounds that PK is untouchable.

True. However, I can only imagine the offers Shea Weber would get as an unrestricted free agent. Unless the new CBA address crazy deals he would end up with $9 million per season for 15 years, or something mental like that.

Agreed. Id love Weber & would give up anyone not named Price to get him, but if he hits the UFA market (which would be a concern if you traded for him now imho) then expect near league-max cap hits for ridiculous (double digit) term. He's basically Chris Pronger in his prime. There's no other defenseman in the NHL who can control a game in so many different ways as Weber can right now, imho.

There's no comparison between talent levels. Havlat is a superior passer, skater, and shooter, incidentally. He's matched or topped Bourque's best per-season goal totals (31 goals in 03-04, 29 goals in 08-09). Over the last few years, Bourque has posted 6, 23, 31, 19, 14, 10, and 18 assists, with having played 70+ games in at least four of those seasons. Havlat, since the lockout, has posted 20, 40, 36, 48, 17, 32, and 7 assists, with the 17 and 7 coming in years when he missed most of the season due to injury and only played in a handful of games. His vision is demonstrably superior to Bourque's -- we're not talking about a few points' difference in assists, we're talking about a player who posts vastly superior point totals within comparable numbers of games played. It's not even close.

I read it fine the first time. The main problem, as I said, is that you are only using salary as the measure of whether the deal is fair value. If I add up 9 journeymen players at $1 million each, do they represent fair value for Sidney Crosby because his cap hit is $9 million? If you have a player of superior talent and you're looking to unload him -- in Havlat's case, he hasn't been able to stay healthy, that's the big knock on him -- you're not going to accept a fringe top-six forward and two marginal D prospects in a trade if their accumulated cap hit / term is close to what you want to get rid of. If anything, you DON'T want a salary swap, you want to free up that space by acquiring futures and entry-level prospects only. If you're going to take on what amounts to a salary swap -- Bourque's cap hit is less than Havlat's but he's signed for one more year -- it had better be for a player of the same caliber, and they flat-out aren't the same caliber.

Your point is clear. Allow others to disagree though...Havlat was a beast in Chicago, but the last three years he went from Minnesota to San Jose, and was a disaster if you compare production and salary. Yes, he had injury problems, but these are professional sportsmen, and we see bad luck every day. The bottom line is that he was a disaster, at that span. No wonder why San Jose wants to unload his contract.

Now, about his value...He is better than Bourque, no doubt. I posted it my self. The difference though, between them on ice, is not that sagnificant as you discribed. Thats why i wondered how you rate Ville Leino, who i consider similar to Havlat's value. Is Bourque+Diaz enough value wise? Maybe, maybe not. Who knows...The fact is its not an unreasonable offer.

As for the salary comparison... I read my original post, alot of times, and haven't come up with any idea, that i indicated that 10 players of 1M salary are fair value for Crosby. I still wonder how you came up with this...The only indication to me is that this potential trade would be a FAIR salary swap. If it is a beneficial trade,for both partees,is up for discussion. Opinions vary...