The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2012-13 Habs Rumors

BigTed3

Can't imagine Teuvo going in any deal at the moment as his potential is too high.

Hjalmarsson, Morin and a second get's it done!

Who needs Bowman or Bergevin!

I personally think that's a good idea, but whether or not it happens depends on Bergevin's vision. The trade is a rebuilding move.

On another note I see the Hawks have hired Pierre Gauthier as director of player personnel.

My condolences.

I hope for you guys he doesn't get promoted.

Can't imagine Teuvo going in any deal at the moment as his potential is too high.

On another note I see the Hawks have hired Pierre Gauthier as director of player personnel.

what about saad

what about saad

what about saad

Saad has himself situated as the Hawk's top prospect and is most likely NHL ready so I highly doubt the Hawks would do this unless the trade became bigger to include another good Hab coming back. Love to see Subban in a deal but that is dream'n!

A decent trade for both teams including Hjalmarsson and Plekanec is:

Plekanec+Diaz (MTL) for Hjalmarsson+McNeill+Morin+CHI 2nd in 2013.

or if the Hawks doesn't want to include prospects and prefer a salary swap:

Plekanec+Diaz (MTL) for Hjalmarsson+Bolland+CHI 2nd in 2013.

These i think are more fair trade values...

Ya, if - IF - we are moving Plekanec I want a blue-chip Centre prospect like McNeill back in the return package. He can't be the "primary" but as an add on from the other side Id be all for it.

However, I must say its interesting how all these so called "insiders" (and I use the term lightly) are coming up with all of these Habs/Hawks rumours since we have ties to Chicago via our GMs and advisors.

I have to admit I don't know a lot about Pleks as I am not following the Habs ( even though I live in Quebec !! ) but the way you are describing him makes me want him all the more for the Hawks!

Plekanec has been the best all round player on this team for years. He is Ryan Kessler without all the hype. He's a great player & the ONLY reason I think this team is even considering moving him (if indeed they are) is that the return would be higher for him than any of the other centres we may wish to move. We finally have several young, talented centres (and just drafted likely the best available centre in this year's draft) which means Plekanec is probably available if the return is right.

If I were to make a trade based on the current information this would be my trade:

Pleks+Weber for (chi) Hmjarlson+ Saad+ McNeill

I think that this could be done. Pleks is a great player for us but I think Eller can be a 2nd line center and needs the time now. I don't really want Hmjarlson because we have a lot defense prospects coming up soon and we do not need someone to hog a roster spot. If we knew only that Pleks was involved then this is what I would do:

Pleks+ Weber for Saad+ Teravainen+ McNeill + a 2nd round 2013

If either of us needed to add more Chicago surrenders their 1st or we add a 3rd

How about Tomas Plekanec and Raphael Diaz (we keep Yannick Weber) for Niklas Hjalmarsson, Mark McNeill, and Brandon Saad? Admittedly I don't know much about McNeill and Saad but some of you here on the board seem to think they are both good prospects that Chicago owns. Would anyone consider this a fair trade?

How about Tomas Plekanec and Raphael Diaz (we keep Yannick Weber) for Niklas Hjalmarsson, Mark McNeill, and Brandon Saad? Admittedly I don't know much about McNeill and Saad but some of you here on the board seem to think they are both good prospects that Chicago owns. Would anyone consider this a fair trade?

I think a top pick should be involved (Hjalmarsson+top prospect+1st or Hjalmarsson+2 top prospects+2nd) for this package. We tend to underate Plekanec, his value is low, but he is a mid-1st, or top-2nd line center. Hard to find his two way play also...

I have no idea if he's any more reliable. He seems like less of a clown if that means anything. :P

Scenario:

Plekanec + Weber/Diaz/prospect for Hjalmasrsson + Stalberg

Would you do it? Would they?

No thanks from habs POV.

As a Hawk fan there is no way the Hawks do this trade.

Teravainen has too much potential to trade so soon.

No thanks for Kaberle either!

I would think a straight up trade of Plekanec for Hjalmarsson with perhaps a 2nd round pick would be fair.

No thanks terrible from habs POV. Following trade is probably better not sure if the hawks would do it though.

Plekanec

1 of:(Weber, Diaz or 3rd round pick 2013)

for

Hjalmarsson

Teravainen

Looking at the rosters of divisional rivals and other teams that the Habs are going to have to overcome in the following season, I would look at trading Gomez to Colorado for two low picks.

I would sign Peter Mueller who is injury prone but may turn out to be an effective centre. He is only 24, plays centre and had a couple of decent years before his concussion on one of the worst teams in the league.

Cap space would then exist to sign another depth defenseman. There are still a few available from free agency (Coliacovo, Eminger, Commodore, Jurcina) Then I would just let Therrien go to work and see what he could do

I dont think its the right time to trade Plekanec. I think we need to hang on to him going into the year and give him some offencive freedom to put up more points wich in turn would raise his value. If we are out of the playoff race come deadline time we could trade him to a team that would likely over pay and we let Eller finish the season getting 2nd line mins.DD had a good season last year but there are still questions as to weather he can do it again.We should have Galchenyuk the following season if all goes as planned and would not be leaving a giant hole down the middle going into the season. I think Eller does alot of what Plekanec does just not quite as well.

I would rather trade guys like Gomez,Kaberle,Diaz,Weber,Kristo(I have a bad feeling he isnt going to sign and go the Schultz rout)and see what we can get? Even if its only picks or prospects it would free up cap space for next summer.With the young players we have we may be a couple free agent signings away from being a legit contender again?

I think people here are still under-valuing Plekanec and over-valuing a guy who hasn't played a game in the NHL yet. Statistically, Teravainen probably has about a 30-35% chance of being an everyday NHL player and a even lower chance of being a top 6 guy. He may have loads of potential, but he's under-sized. I'm certainly not willing to deal our #1 forward with the main components coming back being a guy who has maybe a 10-15% chance of being as good and a depth defenceman. As I've said, if we're dealing Plekanec, it's because there's a younger or more talented top 6 guy coming back. Any deal with Chicago, for me, would have to start by including kane, Hossa, or Toews (which is probably not going to happen). If we're talking prospects, it would take at least two top-tier guys coming back as a start (Teravainen + Saad or mcneill, for example) to make up for losing Plekanec AND we would have to have another way of acquiring a replacement top 6 guy (e.g. a second trade for ryan or Stewart where we're not giving up a top 6 guy back).

I think people here are still under-valuing Plekanec and over-valuing a guy who hasn't played a game in the NHL yet. Statistically, Teravainen probably has about a 30-35% chance of being an everyday NHL player and a even lower chance of being a top 6 guy. He may have loads of potential, but he's under-sized. I'm certainly not willing to deal our #1 forward with the main components coming back being a guy who has maybe a 10-15% chance of being as good and a depth defenceman. As I've said, if we're dealing Plekanec, it's because there's a younger or more talented top 6 guy coming back. Any deal with Chicago, for me, would have to start by including kane, Hossa, or Toews (which is probably not going to happen). If we're talking prospects, it would take at least two top-tier guys coming back as a start (Teravainen + Saad or mcneill, for example) to make up for losing Plekanec AND we would have to have another way of acquiring a replacement top 6 guy (e.g. a second trade for ryan or Stewart where we're not giving up a top 6 guy back).

Agreed and like I've said before, unless the return is really sweet, we should hold onto Pleks. Be really hard finding another complete package like him. We may find another top 6 forward, but i doubt he'd have Pleks defensive game as well.

Agreed and like I've said before, unless the return is really sweet, we should hold onto Pleks. Be really hard finding another complete package like him. We may find another top 6 forward, but i doubt he'd have Pleks defensive game as well.

I dont think its the right time to trade Plekanec. I think we need to hang on to him going into the year and give him some offencive freedom to put up more points wich in turn would raise his value. If we are out of the playoff race come deadline time we could trade him to a team that would likely over pay and we let Eller finish the season getting 2nd line mins.DD had a good season last year but there are still questions as to weather he can do it again.We should have Galchenyuk the following season if all goes as planned and would not be leaving a giant hole down the middle going into the season. I think Eller does alot of what Plekanec does just not quite as well.

I would rather trade guys like Gomez,Kaberle,Diaz,Weber,Kristo(I have a bad feeling he isnt going to sign and go the Schultz rout)and see what we can get? Even if its only picks or prospects it would free up cap space for next summer.With the young players we have we may be a couple free agent signings away from being a legit contender again?

Ive thrown out a couple of proposals for Pleks (once I heard his name in rumors) but its not because i want to lose the guy. Frankly, he's as a complete a player as we've seen in this uniform in decades. He can score, pass, play defensively and even take care of himself physically (although he aint going to scare anyone in that dept). On most nights he's our best player.

The problem with Plekanec is that with the addition of Eller, the emergence of DD, the as-of-yet non-demotion of Gomez and the Intangible of Galchenyuk, we have a ton of potential centres. I mean really, aside from Gomez (who seems spent) all of those 4 guys could be top 2 centres on this squad. Assuming you have 4 players vying for one spot, you have to at least consider the idea of a trade of one of them. Personally, I would rather move DD, but you could make a strong argument that the return from Plekanec would be much higher than that of DD.

At this point its just speculation from us Armchair GMs. I look forward to seeing what Bergevin decides. I frankly dont expect to see all 5 of those guys at camp this fall.

Ive thrown out a couple of proposals for Pleks (once I heard his name in rumors) but its not because i want to lose the guy. Frankly, he's as a complete a player as we've seen in this uniform in decades. He can score, pass, play defensively and even take care of himself physically (although he aint going to scare anyone in that dept). On most nights he's our best player.

The problem with Plekanec is that with the addition of Eller, the emergence of DD, the as-of-yet non-demotion of Gomez and the Intangible of Galchenyuk, we have a ton of potential centres. I mean really, aside from Gomez (who seems spent) all of those 4 guys could be top 2 centres on this squad. Assuming you have 4 players vying for one spot, you have to at least consider the idea of a trade of one of them. Personally, I would rather move DD, but you could make a strong argument that the return from Plekanec would be much higher than that of DD.

At this point its just speculation from us Armchair GMs. I look forward to seeing what Bergevin decides. I frankly dont expect to see all 5 of those guys at camp this fall.

That would assume a trade before camp... but there is no reason why any plethora of centers could not paticipate in a camp yet only 4 emerge as part of a starting roster.

All options of course could be possible in that anyone could be traded, demoted, waivered, returned to the minors or junior etc.

Chances are that two scenarios exist among those most likely to be on the list of probable centers... demoting Gomez or Nokelainen (whom you did not mention) after camp and/or returning Galchenyuk to junior.

As it stands didn't MB say Gomez would be there at camp. Leblanc (under contract) and Geoffrion (RFA) are both centers as well (though likely headed to Hamilton).

Trading Plekanec would be a very bold move... one I find hard to believe MB would seriously entertain before his first season gets underway.

This plethora of centres could also be argued, for this year anyways, as one good #2 centre-Pleks, a washed-up centre-Gomez, a flash in the pan-DD, a 3rd line centre-Eller and a OHL centre-Galchenyuk.

I see loads od trouble in trading Pleks. I'm really rooting for DD and Eller to be the real deals. DDD had a good take on Eller's career so far in a comparison with Pleks and Datsyuk. Gomez, who knows? Galchenyuk would be nice to see him get significant minutes but i can live with him in sarnia for the year.

I'm completely agreed with you about listening to deals for both Pleks and DD, and I've been saying the same thing for months. As Habitom pointed out, there's no urgency to make the deal this year because Galchenyuk can go back to junior and Gomez is really a wash (in that we have nothing invested in him "developing" really). But I'd assume the Habs plan on bringing up Gally by next year and that we aren't ready to deal Eller away when he has two-way skill, comes with size, and was the only real return for Halak. He's going to get a chance to play in the top 6 at some point, you'd have to think.

If we're really pushing to get a top 6 winger now, then the smart move is to deal Pleks to get that done because we really don't have anything else of value to give up. But if we wait until during the season, maybe a guy like DD, kaberle, or Bourque builds up enough value to be dealt for something. Or perhaps Weber, Diaz, or Leblanc gains enough value to be added to a package. I don't feel a rush to make the move now because it's not like we're a LW away from being a Cup contender. We can afford to wait for a good return on one of our players (be it Pleks or someone else) and if it happens to be now then so be it and if it happens to be during the season or next summer once we know more about Gally and Eller then that's fine too. Pleks is easily one of my favorite Habs, but if other teams see his value (and don't just base value on point totals) then it could be worth listening to what's available. I personally don't see Pleks-for-ryan as being that unfair, and it's the type of deal that could help both teams, as an example.

Aaaand no summer would be complete without Eklund floating his twice-yearly "Marleau to the Habs" garbage rumour. :P

Ya, noticed that. It's become tradition. Someone should tell him we actually have depth at center in the organization now ;)

Though Marleau does play LW and would look good with.... bah, never mind :P