The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2012-13 Habs Rumors

BigTed3

Unless i have missed something, Kane is still unsigned (they are discussing a 6 year deal, but nothing has been finalized AFAIK).

Either way though, PK for Kane makes no sense to me. Actually, PK for anyone makes no sense to me simply because i dont see the need to move him (unless he's told management he wont resign here or something).

Moving him for a player at a position other than defense, where we are already weak is ridiculous and while there are certainly a handful of Dmen in the league who are better than him, but Id rather "the devil i know" than a guy who has never proven he can succeed in Montreal.

Maybe we overvalue PK but I would ere on the side of caution. PK could possibly be a Norris trophey candidate, so I would want a possible Hart or Art Ross trophey candidate back and even then elite D-men are a rare gem.

What term would you guys like to see PK sign? Just curious.

5 years.

Main rationale

• Do not what his renewal year to coincide with or follow Price's
  • A gradually salary weighted towards the backend contract that provides period of stability without significant commitment and cap hit (no +7-year contracts please)
  • Allows us to harvest other prospects who may need to replace PK if he asks for the moon when his UFA eligibility arrives

5 years.

Main rationale

• Do not what his renewal year to coincide with or follow Price's
  • A gradually salary weighted towards the backend contract that provides period of stability without significant commitment and cap hit (no +7-year contracts please)
  • Allows us to harvest other prospects who may need to replace PK if he asks for the moon when his UFA eligibility arrives

I agree, I hate the rumors surrounding Pk, he is here to stay although getting my hands on a top 6 winger would be nice.

It's a good thing for the NHL in general that the Preds matched the offer but now its going to look even sillier when these clowns claim small market teams can't afford the current salary mass.

DOAN: Good fit for us, bad fit for him. Pipe dream.

Interesting.

Not convince he's a top 6 (specially at this point in his career) and we already have a pretty full bottom 6.

Yeah, i tend to agree. If he was interested in a 1 or 2 year deal, Id have a long hard look. To me a 1 year at a decent cap hit or even 2 years at a lower one would be worth exploring. But, I suspect he's looking for a "final" contract - something in the neighbourhood of 4 years. I wouldnt be interested in that case, but it never hurts to see whats out there.

I like the fact that MB is at least "kicking the tires." We dont have to land every big name (or any, for that matter) but you want to make sure that our GM is at least exploring his options. My biggest criticism of Gauthier wasnt his moves per se, it was that he didnt appear to explore all the options before making those moves - ie trading Halak to St. Louis when it looks like 28 other GMs didnt even know he was available. The move itself was fine & its definitely possible Eller was the best we could get, but you dont know unless you throw it out there & see what comes back.

The signing of Doan would mean a major roster move on the part of the Hab's. I'm guessing we're going to eat up most of our remaining room signing PK, so that would mean the demise of either Gomez or Kaberle to open up that much space. I'm assuming it would take about 5 mill for him to even sniff at Montreal.

Hmmm Doan definately in the twilight of his career , but man he brings a solid hockey resume , could be as risky as the Gomer Gamble however perhaps maybe only 2 years , huge leadership upside , definately gritty , and easily a top 6 guy on any team IMHO .

Guest habs1952

I'd be shocked if Shane Doan signed here. It's nice to know Bergevin is open to the option and actively seeking to address our top six needs, but I feel like Doan will want to sign with someone who was a contender for the Cup last season.

No doubt Shane Doan wants to win a cup but do the cup contenders from last year have room for him in their top 6? Would Doan sign with a cup contender for third line duties? The fact he's even coming to Montreal shows his interest in playing for the Habs. I don't think he'd be coming to Montreal if Bergevin hadn't already had discussions with Doan or his agent and had offered a deal that peaked his interest.

No doubt Shane Doan wants to win a cup but do the cup contenders from last year have room for him in their top 6? Would Doan sign with a cup contender for third line duties? The fact he's even coming to Montreal shows his interest in playing for the Habs. I don't think he'd be coming to Montreal if Bergevin hadn't already had discussions with Doan or his agent and had offered a deal that peaked his interest.

I do not know why the term cup contenders is used so frequently in these discussions in a such a league with its current parity of play between clubs. There are so many factors that come into a veteran player's decision to move to a different team and city. There are distinct pros and cons to joining the Habs and living in Montreal as there is with any other NHL team and city. Each individual has their own set of priorities which will dictate what they will do...

Doan's loyality to the Coyotes leads me to believe that one of his top piorities (if the future is uncertain in Phoenix)is going to a club that is loyal to its players and does not have a swinging door policy that continually changes personnel. I am not quite sure where the Habs rate in that category but I have an idea where Philly & NYR place in it.

Yeah, i tend to agree. If he was interested in a 1 or 2 year deal, Id have a long hard look. To me a 1 year at a decent cap hit or even 2 years at a lower one would be worth exploring. But, I suspect he's looking for a "final" contract - something in the neighbourhood of 4 years. I wouldnt be interested in that case, but it never hurts to see whats out there.

I like the fact that MB is at least "kicking the tires." We dont have to land every big name (or any, for that matter) but you want to make sure that our GM is at least exploring his options. My biggest criticism of Gauthier wasnt his moves per se, it was that he didnt appear to explore all the options before making those moves - ie trading Halak to St. Louis when it looks like 28 other GMs didnt even know he was available. The move itself was fine & its definitely possible Eller was the best we could get, but you dont know unless you throw it out there & see what comes back.

I think the only way we even have a chance is if we're offering 1 year very high cap hit. And I'd be fine with that if we can fit him in. 2 years at a "reasonable" hit is fine, but I feel we'll be outbid or matched by a more attractive destination in that case.

Frankly I think there is probably a few teams willing to go 3-4 at decent money and it just won't be prudent for us to go that route.

I think the only way we even have a chance is if we're offering 1 year very high cap hit. And I'd be fine with that if we can fit him in. 2 years at a "reasonable" hit is fine, but I feel we'll be outbid or matched by a more attractive destination in that case.

Frankly I think there is probably a few teams willing to go 3-4 at decent money and it just won't be prudent for us to go that route.

I really wonder if the one-year, big cap hit is the way to go... I'd take 1- or 2-year deals at a moderate (5m-ish) cap hit, but the big hit on one year doesn't help much. We're not really a Shane Doan away from winning a cup, so if we add him and then have success in the first half of the year, we'd really have to be leaving room to add another piece or two around deadline day. Otherwise, it doesn't do a lot to just bring in Doan alone...

Awwww! You mean he's gonna be another Sundin scenario! LOL

Does it matter at all that he's related to Price?

I'd be shocked if Shane Doan signed here. It's nice to know Bergevin is open to the option and actively seeking to address our top six needs, but I feel like Doan will want to sign with someone who was a contender for the Cup last season.

I guess the real key is if we can convince him that last year was not a true indication of what kind of team we are. That is, if we do indeed want him. As mentioned, adding him will definitely mean a reshaping elsewhere.

I do not know why the term cup contenders is used so frequently in these discussions in a such a league with its current parity of play between clubs.

Bingo. You can sell just about any team as a "contender" at this point. Parity has made this a totally different league than even 10 - 15 years ago.

Agreed. If we bury Gomez' salary, I have no problem giving Doan most of that money (say 5 to 5.5m) for a 1 year deal. I would even go 2 years if the cap hit was a little more manageable. But I also agree, someone will offer him 3-4 years imho (although i don't think it will be the rangers or the flyers), which is something I wouldn't even consider at this point if I were GM.

I really wonder if the one-year, big cap hit is the way to go... I'd take 1- or 2-year deals at a moderate (5m-ish) cap hit, but the big hit on one year doesn't help much. We're not really a Shane Doan away from winning a cup, so if we add him and then have success in the first half of the year, we'd really have to be leaving room to add another piece or two around deadline day. Otherwise, it doesn't do a lot to just bring in Doan alone...

Yeah, i agree, although, 2 scenarios (assuming we sign him):

1) we do well and he sees us as a contender for the following year and resigns the next season

2) we do poorly and we move him at deadline time. assuming he doesn't bomb, a soon-to-be UFA Doan could bring a HUGE return in a deadline-day deal. That alone could be worth his contract dollars IMHO.

I wouldn't mind acquiring him.

Sign him as a short term plug, can give him good money on short term deal. Keeps us competitive until our youngins are able to step in or until something better becomes available.

When his contracts up re-evaluate our top 6, we do have a few getting up in age. Also, both Carey and Shane get to be cousins on the same team for a while.