The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2012-13 Habs Rumors

BigTed3

i think he and his agent are starting high so that the counter offer is closer to price Doan and his agent are after.

I can see that, for sure. Nothing wrong with a little gamesmanship - and seeing how he's the last player of his calibre available, its a game that GMs are likely going to play along with.

Whats going on with Shane Doan?Does anyone know if he actually even held talks with the habs?

Did he go to Montreal?Its been quiet regarding him in the past week.

haven't heard a thing, but heading to work the other day, i was thinking this is the worst possible time for him to visit.

Montreal highways are cluttered with cars, pylons and rubble due to the construction. Trying to get into the city by the 20 is suicide. Where the 20 meets the 720 the hwy is reduced to one lane, creating a jam that stretches for miles. Taking the 40 isn't any better, since those who are trying to avoid the 20/720 have all gone up to the 40... creating even more traffic and the city is doing work on the 40 also, right around the Rockland exit.

Worst possible time to visit the city.

Well I've heard that MB is holding out until Carlson and Del Zotto sign with their respective teams.

Well I've heard that MB is holding out until Carlson and Del Zotto sign with their respective teams.

Maybe the three agents are comparing notes with each other.

Doubt we'll get either and why go for them? they're both young.. it'd be different if they were seasoned vets but with the d core we have coming up it'd be foolish to sign them seeing as Ellis, Tinordi, And Bealuie(however it's spelled) will all be better then them.

Rumor has it that Bergevin offered the Jets Subban, Eller, and Bourque for Evander Kane and Ron Hainsey.

A good irony. The Habs can throw away a defenseman and replace him by a defenseman they threw away, Hollywood Hainsey.

Evander Kane is a good player. Left-wing power forward with size. That's good to have. Not as good as having a first pairing dman.

Finally, Eller >>> Throw-in.

Rumor has it that Bergevin offered the Jets Subban, Eller, and Bourque for Evander Kane and Ron Hainsey.

A good irony. The Habs can throw away a defenseman and replace him by a defenseman they threw away, Hollywood Hainsey.

Evander Kane is a good player. Left-wing power forward with size. That's good to have. Not as good as having a first pairing dman.

Terrible trade. I've already elaborated as to how hard it is to find a right-handed 1st-pairing defenceman, which is why it makes no sense to deal Subban, a player who is an all-around stud and not even in his prime yet. Aside from this, we'd be getting a 31-year-old with one year left on his deal before he becomes a ufa, and that one season might not even be played. The other guy is a blue chip guy too, but not as valuable as Subban in my books. He's also currently unsigned as well, and may be looking at a 5-6m cap hit. The source is an illegitimate twitter account and I don't see much to this, but suffice it to say that Subban is untouchable to me, as much as I'd be interested in kane.

Terrible trade in my books, I might consider Kane for Subban straight up though. But a #1 defensemen is always more important than a #1 Left winger.

Kane is a great player but to trade our #1 d-man, a very promising young center and a 25-goal scorer for him and a spare part would be absolutely idiotic.

Completely true, we do need a left winger and I see a move including Bourque, a center and a pick/ prospect as enough to aquire him since he is an RFA.

Completely true, we do need a left winger and I see a move including Bourque, a center and a pick/ prospect as enough to aquire him since he is an RFA.

I like patches more then Kane.. Kane is grittier but that could change with Mt as the coach but watching Patches shoot the puck last season It's easy to see he can be a 50 goal scorer if Galchenyuk lives up to his hype.. as for left wingers i do belive corey perry is a ufa next year... it would cost a lot of money but having the best overall powerforward in the NHL would be very helpful against the bruins and flyers

I think 50 goals is a bit too high of an expectation for Pacioretty. Unless we somehow make a trade for Sidney Crosby to play on his line, I just don't see him having 50 goal potential. I see him more as a 35+ guy who might sniff at 40, and break 40 goals a few times, but not a 50 goal guy (at least the way the NHL is now). There were only 2 players that broke 50 goals last year (only 4 that broke 40). There's just not many 50 goal guys out there, and I think we can all agree that Pacioretty is a tier below Gaborik, Crosby, Stamkos, and Malkin as far as talent goes. That being said, in a James Neal situation, Pacioretty could definitely break 40 goals, and most likely do it consistently.

I think 50 goals is a bit too high of an expectation for Pacioretty. Unless we somehow make a trade for Sidney Crosby to play on his line, I just don't see him having 50 goal potential. I see him more as a 35+ guy who might sniff at 40, and break 40 goals a few times, but not a 50 goal guy (at least the way the NHL is now). There were only 2 players that broke 50 goals last year (only 4 that broke 40). There's just not many 50 goal guys out there, and I think we can all agree that Pacioretty is a tier below Gaborik, Crosby, Stamkos, and Malkin as far as talent goes. That being said, in a James Neal situation, Pacioretty could definitely break 40 goals, and most likely do it consistently.

I agree, right now playing in what will be his 2nd official full season, it's a tall order.

Doesn't mean he can't ever hit the 50 goal mark and if he does, I think it'll be a one shot deal. I have a feeling he'll be a 35-45 goal scorer throughout his career. Even Gio hit 48 one year, so I don't see why Patches, with a really good season, why he can't get close or even hit it. But I think it would be unfair for us to expect him to be a 50 goal scorer.

And who needs sid, we have a very talented prospect named Gally who could be a great centre for Patches some day/. :)

Guest habs1952

I agree, right now playing in what will be his 2nd official full season, it's a tall order.

Doesn't mean he can't ever hit the 50 goal mark and if he does, I think it'll be a one shot deal. I have a feeling he'll be a 35-45 goal scorer throughout his career. Even Gio hit 48 one year, so I don't see why Patches, with a really good season, why he can't get close or even hit it. But I think it would be unfair for us to expect him to be a 50 goal scorer.

And who needs sid, we have a very talented prospect named Gally who could be a great centre for Patches some day/. :)

If Rick Vaive can do it Patches can do it.

Oh for sure he could, if Gionta can do 48, Pacioretty could do 50 in the right scenario. It's just the odds of that right scenario are low, the year after the lockout was almost a statistical anomaly, Gomez scored 33 goals, Cheechoo had 56, it was just a bit of a silly year. I think long term Pacioretty definitely is in the 35-40ish category though, and we can count on at least 30 from him for a long while (barring injury).

I heard some news on am 640 tonight about the NHL's time sensitive offer to the players.

You people on this forum usually find out this info way before I do. So I'm a little worried it might not be solid. That's why I'm putting this in the rumors thread.

According to am 640 the time sensitive offer includes a 49% share of the revenues for the players. And to avoid confusion the HRR definition will remain the same as in the last CBA.

Maybe someone can confirm or correct this news?

I heard some news on am 640 tonight about the NHL's time sensitive offer to the players.

You people on this forum usually find out this info way before I do. So I'm a little worried it might not be solid. That's why I'm putting this in the rumors thread.

According to am 640 the time sensitive offer includes a 49% share of the revenues for the players. And to avoid confusion the HRR definition will remain the same as in the last CBA.

Maybe someone can confirm or correct this news?

It is correct information, I found it on Hockey Buzz. Yes, it was not Eklund but Travis Yost who has very similar information.

It is correct information, I found it on Hockey Buzz. Yes, it was not Eklund but Travis Yost who has very similar information.

Thanks Aussie

If I was a player I would take that deal. Then I would go to the media and announce it as another victory for the owners. I would put it out there right away that the players will not allow the owners to win a third time in a row. I would announce on the same day of the deal, that if the owners were to be so greedy as to ask for even 1% more in the next CBA the players would hold out for however many years it would take to resist them.

Being recognized as the loser twice in a row could really put the players in a position of power for the next CBA negotiations.

• 2 weeks later...

I think we are coming to the realization that public perception does not equate to leverage, else this lockout would already be over and both Bettman and Fehr would be in the unemployment line.

Capitulating now, saves the players alot of money. However, it also furthers a precedent that at every CBA expiration, the owners will demand a lockout and massive clawbacks.

It's a no win situation for players, either capitulate now and save actual dollars or fight it.. lose money now and lose even more money over the course of the CBA, in hopes of preventing history from repeating itself over and over.

I think we are coming to the realization that public perception does not equate to leverage, else this lockout would already be over and both Bettman and Fehr would be in the unemployment line.

Capitulating now, saves the players alot of money. However, it also furthers a precedent that at every CBA expiration, the owners will demand a lockout and massive clawbacks.

It's a no win situation for players, either capitulate now and save actual dollars or fight it.. lose money now and lose even more money over the course of the CBA, in hopes of preventing history from repeating itself over and over.