The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2012-13 The Negative Thread

Failure to take advantage of a five minute power play, worse yet a 5 on 3 for 1:22 which allowed Ottawa to take control of the game in the third period and led to the tying goal which Price should have stopped and the go ahead goal 1:15 later in which Price was screened. And also the fourth goal which Price didn't control the rebound.

Some unnecessary penalties in the first period which could have been costly. And Price being a little preoccupied with knocking players down and taking his eye off the puck on the Michalek's goal. Ottawa getting the loose puck even after successful faceoffs by us.

Wondering which team is going to show up for third period. It was a team that got away from it needs to do if they want to win this series. It's unfortunate that Eller is out, but the team needs to pick up the slack and concentrate on playing its game.

Sitting on a two goal lead against a top flight team such as Ottawa in the final period and the veteran corps is still not stepping up. Through four games, we have not scored in the third period. Seven of the eight goals scored have been in the second period.

Too many injuries to overcome and not enough depth to compensate for them. But then, there is no guarantee the team would have advance with a healthy lineup or the injured players would have been at their best. The veteran corps waited too long to pick up the slack. Not enough firepower to overcome Ottawa's defense. No goals scored in the third period and the third period by Ottawa being an indication what the Canadiens need to do in the playoffs. Hopefully, they will learn from this.

• 3 weeks later...

That we have a mediocre defence, barring PK Subban.

That our veterans are past their prime.

That our No. 1 goalie refused to come clean about his groin injury before season started. If he had come clean and sought treatment, Bujai could cover the first half of the season and we get a healthy Price back in time for playoffs. Would have given Senators a run for their money.

That our GM's trades didn't exactly pay off. Ryder was best trade but couldn't step up for playoffs. Halpern was so-so. Drewiske was a disaster.

That coach stubbornly refused to play a healthy Kaberle, even when our defence injuries mounted. Preferring to drop inexperienced AHLers into baptism fire instead of calling up veteran defenceman.

my big fear is that, as much as the culture has changed under new management, this is still a very fragile team from the goaltenders on out. Looks at the teams who advanced in the playoffs. They have the confidence to overcome soft goals and bad calls, kill a penalty, play a solid 3rd period to come back or hold a lead, make a hit, take a hit, get in the goalie's kitchen, push an opponent out of the goalie's kitchen, etc. On an individual level, there were few players that really rose to the level of elite in that series, that took their play to a totally new level beyond where it was during the season. Few players in the zone that many of the remaining players enter routinely to make the difference between winning and losing. Honestly the late season fold and playoff collapse were more devastating to me that 2011-2012 in many ways. I'm not sure how excited I should get the next time they tear up the regular season, because they are beating up on the SE division and other teams who wisely don't bring their A game until it really matters.

I'm not sure how excited I should get the next time they tear up the regular season, because they are beating up on the SE division and other teams who wisely don't bring their A game until it really matters.

I fear the Habs peaked way too early in the season (around end of March), fatigue/injuries started to take it toil in April, leading to breakdown in the playoffs.

The urgency this year was to make the playoffs after last year's shocker. But once that was achieved in the win over Buffalo, it seemed the pressure was off and the players couldn't step up any further. It was like they had given their all and had nothing left to dig deeper.

It's really about pacing.

I fear the Habs peaked way too early in the season (around end of March), fatigue/injuries started to take it toil in April, leading to breakdown in the playoffs.

The urgency this year was to make the playoffs after last year's shocker. But once that was achieved in the win over Buffalo, it seemed the pressure was off and the players couldn't step up any further. It was like they had given their all and had nothing left to dig deeper.

It's really about pacing.

good points, although verging on positive :)

I will say that their collapse had at least as much to do with other teams stepping it up. It's like they knew what they needed to do all along against teh Habs, but didn't see the point of pushing the issue that much early in the season, since getting in the defence's face and in the crease and hitting every Hab that moves does take some energy, but it's obvious that all those tactics pay off when the rubber meets the road