The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2012-13 The Negative Thread

We'll see how the coaching staff gets this team motivated or not. If they come out with a different approach, as opposed to last year, then I will be a believer that there is light at the end of the tunnel. As for Price, I am not so sure about him. When I watched him in junior he was a different goalie, extremely different, then when I watched him come up he looked completely different and different in terms of the fact he was so dominant and a shut down goalie in junior, when teams needed him the most and so far in the NHL I cringe when there is a minute left and we are up by one. I could be wrong here, but there hasn't been much about him that makes me think he will take us to the promised land. I would love, for once, to hear someone in the industry (analyst, ex player, etc) to come up with a real analysis of Price. There is something not quite right and I can't quite put my finger on it.

I know we hate the leafs but that doesn't mean they should continuously drill the leaf in the sweater of the tender. I mean how many times can you just loft it right into the chest of the goalie. We're not gonna score from 50 feet out all the time

That's another thing. Why did they insist on playing from the perimeter all night?

I'm not much of a Gainey apologist but GM's have to get over those kinds of trades fast. The results were unspeakably bad but awful moves happen. Just like Gainey getting Gorges and the Pacioretty pick for Rivet. At the time it was a depth DMan and a late 1st in a weak draft, end result was fantastic. At the time we didn't think McD would develop as he did and Gomez, while overpaid, at the least seemed like a consistent 2-way, 70 point play making center. It blew up and it was always a bad trade but no one saw it ending up as historically bad as it has.

I think that's a bit misleading though. The Rivet trade looked like a good move at the time, and in hindsight was incredible. However, Gomez was coming off a 58 point season and largely seen around the league as incredibly overpaid. At the time, given how much cap space we were allowing the Rangers to clear, it never made sense to me or anyone really why we would throw in a 12th overall defensive prospect in the deal. Considering what Sather did with the cap space it was almost like we gave them Gaborik (since we gave them the cap space to get him for nothing), Higgins, and McDonagh. The trade looks even worse now considering how good McDonagh is and how bad Gomez is, but even without the benefit of hindsight, why he let Sather take McDonagh as part of that deal I'll never know.

Leading 3-0 after 54 minutes is awesome, but if you wind up winning the same game 4-3 in a SO something went very wrong.

I think that's a bit misleading though. The Rivet trade looked like a good move at the time, and in hindsight was incredible. However, Gomez was coming off a 58 point season and largely seen around the league as incredibly overpaid. At the time, given how much cap space we were allowing the Rangers to clear, it never made sense to me or anyone really why we would throw in a 12th overall defensive prospect in the deal. Considering what Sather did with the cap space it was almost like we gave them Gaborik (since we gave them the cap space to get him for nothing), Higgins, and McDonagh. The trade looks even worse now considering how good McDonagh is and how bad Gomez is, but even without the benefit of hindsight, why he let Sather take McDonagh as part of that deal I'll never know.

I wasn't against the deal at the time. Even then Gomez was seen as a terribly overpaid player, it's true, but we had some space available and we were really, really in need of a top line centre. Sometimes you just need to overpay to fill a hole, and at the time there just weren't any other centres available. I remember thinking that Gainey was taking a bit of a risk, but I was happy to see him do it to get a piece that we really needed.

Having said that, though, I admit that I rarely follow prospects. I had no idea how good/bad Ryan McD was projected to be, so that didn't really factor into my opinion of the trade.

Well here is the short version, I could go on for hours....

Their inability to play team defense when it is and has been clear for years, despite coaching or players that they can't hold a lead if their life depended on it. Their best player on the ice is getting limited ice time (Eller). Therrien can't stand Subban, it's clear from the limited ice time he is getting and from not being on the ice, if I am not mistaken, for the last 5 minutes when they needed him the most. The entire management team, once again, regardless who has been there the past few years, inability to acquire bigger defense. This must be a cult in Montreal, I have never seen a string of management and scouts regardless who they are who tow the company line when it comes to acquiring bigger players. You would think once and for all someone would come in with a different philosophy, god forbid! Coaching staff are clones of last year in my opinion. Players who deserve extra ice time don't get it and players who are inept, over and over again, get the most. I could go on and on. You tell me that why the fans, as a collective, are great at analyzing the game (even though we are not in the profession) can see this coming miles away yet no one in that organization can steer them the right way. Toughness, I hear is an asset and I have to agree. Teams like Boston and most recently Toronto have had their way on the score sheet and in the fighting department. It may not be something they need to do all the time but when a team knows they have the upper hand it affects our team mentally. I can assure you the next time we meet Toronto it will be in the back of their mind we got the heck beat out of us and no one could step up. The teams lack of resilience, most of the time is very disturbing. I have never seen a team wilt like ours and it's been happening for years. As much as we like to mock the Leafs, sadly this team makes the same mistakes over and over again also.

Definately a dirty hit from Patches, but Mcdonagh had it coming for his dirty hit on Max.

I'd refute that McDonagh's hit on Pacioretty was necessarily "dirty." I think it was a little reckless, but more awkward than dirty. McDonagh has done nothing in his career so far to imply that he's a dirty player our to get top six forwards with bad hits.