The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2012-13 The Negative Thread

I hate it when I see the negative thread above the positive,especially in a season like this,so I looked and most of the negative posts are by Canadiens 27,so there was 18 shots against but we won,thats why we have Carey Price he can handle that,in fact he's better when he's working like that,come on C27 enjoy the season there is nothing to be down about,you are alive.

GO HABS GO :lol::lol:

It was great that Price stopped 18 shots in the third period, but do we want to allow that many shots against a powerhouse team like Pittsburgh or Boston? I doubt it.

Knew it had to be you 27 was just making an observation of course we don't want to give other teams that many shots on goal,that would mean we were not playing our best,and I hpe we always do that.

GO HABS GO :lol::lol:

It was really frustrating to watch so many shots miss the net, especially since a majority of them in the first period were glorious scoring opportunities. I really think the boys need to spend some more time on improving their accuracy in practice. If the HABS had to hit the net just 20-30% more last night the outcome would have been completely different.

Oh well, at least they turned it on late in the game and managed to get a point out of the contest.

The penalty kill has become a complete gong show. If I were Therrien, I would seriously reevaluate Daigneault in the offseason, because the system he is using on the penalty kill isn't working.

I agree it needs to get better ASAP. I don't think it necessarily means you have to let Daigneault go, but maybe it's time to reassign PK duties.

I agree it needs to get better ASAP. I don't think it necessarily means you have to let Daigneault go, but maybe it's time to reassign PK duties.

But how do you reassign him without shuffling other coaches around and disrupting what they may be doing right coaching other facets of the team? If Daigneault's main job is the PK and he's failing at it despite having virtually the same group of penalty-killers as last year's no. 2 rated unit, he just isn't a very good coach, and I can't see why we'd want to keep him around.

But how do you reassign him without shuffling other coaches around and disrupting what they may be doing right coaching other facets of the team? If Daigneault's main job is the PK and he's failing at it despite having virtually the same group of penalty-killers as last year's no. 2 rated unit, he just isn't a very good coach, and I can't see why we'd want to keep him around.

I think his main job is running the defense core and then he's also in charge of the PK. Hard to say for sure, but I'd venture to say he's done well wtih the defense given pretty well every defenseman has surpasses my expectations of performance this year. PK is also playing the best hockey I've ever seen him play (despite what was apparently a horrendous play in OT last night ;)) and while no doubt a big part of that is natural progression, it's possible some of that is attributable to JJD.

Anyway, all I'm mostly left to speculate. Regardless, we need to see some positive adjustments to the PK, with or without JJD running the unit, and it's up to MT to spark that change.

I think his main job is running the defense core and then he's also in charge of the PK. Hard to say for sure, but I'd venture to say he's done well wtih the defense given pretty well every defenseman has surpasses my expectations of performance this year. PK is also playing the best hockey I've ever seen him play (despite what was apparently a horrendous play in OT last night ;)) and while no doubt a big part of that is natural progression, it's possible some of that is attributable to JJD.

Anyway, all I'm mostly left to speculate. Regardless, we need to see some positive adjustments to the PK, with or without JJD running the unit, and it's up to MT to spark that change.

I'm generally not in favor of just turning over coaches, and I think we need to give the guy who was put in place a chance. That said, I agree with those pointing out that the PK has been less than satisfactory this season. I'm not sure what component of that is due to the new system, what part is due to Carey being a little less spectacular this season, and what part of it just has to do with errant plays by individual guys. We've allowed 22 goals in 108 chances, slotting us just under 80%. Last season, we were up around 88%. If you look at where we finished two years ago, we were around 84%, three years ago at 83%, and four years ago at 82%. So as unimpressive as the PK has been this season, last year's outstanding PK was probably just as much of an aberrancy as this year's letdown. Looking at our average performance in the past 5 years, we're talking about only being about 3-4 percentage points off of that, which amounts to about 4-5 goals in those 108 chances. If Markov doesn't turn over a puck in front of his own net once or twice and the Sabres score one second after Subban's penalty ends instead of one second before, our PK probably stands at 82% right now, and we're not having this conversation. I'm not a huge fan of the PK system in place right now, but I think it's more the case that we were spoiled by how good it was last year than our team being putrid at penalty killing this season.

With respect to Daigneault's work with the D, I'm not sure I'd say all of them have surpassed expectations. Subban and Emelin are pretty much where I thought they would and should be. Markov was a pleasant surprise to start the year but moreso because of doubts around his injuries than about his coachability. Gorges and Bouillon have performed as they have their entire careers, and Kaberle is no worse or better than last season. The only guy who really seems to have taken big strides this season is Diaz, and that's perhaps offset by the fact this coaching staff hasn't been able to pull off any miracles with Weber. At present, Daigneault hasn't done enough in his career to convince me one way or the other about his coaching ability, but I'll give this coaching staff time to see what they can do. The team as a whole is playing well, and that sometimes hides deficiencies a little bit better, so we may see faults come out with time. We really haven't seen these coaches have to adjust to a lack of depth due to injury (as they have in Ottawa) nor have we seen them prepare major adjustments to get the PK rolling or to improve our lack of efficacy at face-offs. So while we're doing other things right, there is still plenty to improve on and only time will tell if those things are corrected. Let's keep in mind that with the shortened season (and pre-season), practice time has been at a minimum this year and it may take longer to see adjustments play out.

Guest habs1952

Wouldn't a good coach review video of last year's Pk when we were #1 and just keep a good thing going with maybe a minor tweak here and there?

My negative rant for the day!The habs always seem to have trouble or lose to weak teams.I hope for once we can beat the Islanders.

This is alarming to me because it shows me we have a team that may have a decent regular season but I cant see them making any noise in the playoffs.If they win tonight I will be slightly more positive.

Penalty kill can't pitch a shutout, again. I don't care if it's a 5-on-3 or if the penalty is undeserved; in this league, you have to be able to step up on special teams at least some of the time. We've killed lengthy 5-on-3 penalties in the past; last night, we got scored on about 30 seconds in after a futile sequence in which Gorges kept making soft passes to no one on the boards and two Sabres cut those passes off each time. Daigneault isn't coaching the unit properly; they are super-soft on their clearing attempts. Too much finesse looking for a tape-to-tape pass to a teammate instead of just clearing the zone with a hard shot off the boards or through the middle of the ice. EVERYONE is playing like this, even players who have been good penalty-killers in years past. Halpern may make a small difference, but IMO coaching is the problem here. We have a perfectly good group of penalty-killers as it is and yet we're in the bottom third of the league in penalty-killing efficiency. Daigneault has taken a unit that ranked no. 2 last year and ruined it. I'd be happy being a top 10 PK team, and frankly could live with top 15 status, but where we are now is unacceptable.