Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BigTed3

2012-13 Habs Lines

244 posts in this topic

I don't think we want to mess with the one line that actually scored last year. Here's how I'd roll the lines, assuming Galchenyuk goes back to junior.

Thing is though: now's probably the perfect time to do that. We will have an infusion of young forwards in short order & I dont know that giving Patches-DD-Cole the easy assignments and prime ice time is whats best for the team in the long run. Id still rather lose one more season & get another high draft pick than settle back in to mediocrity & squeak back into the playoffs at 8th.

There are a lot of questions that need to be answered in short order, none the least of which are:

Can DD play less of a one dimensional role? If the answer is no, maybe he needs to get shopped, or maybe he can be moved to wing at some point.

Will Bourque bounce back? We should know this before the buyouts in the summer. Putting him on the 3rd or 4th line is not going to give us this answer.

Can Eller become more of a scoring threat? Will he be our #2 centre down the road, or do we start priming him to be our #3 shutdown guy for years to come.

Can Patches be the player he has been with someone other than DD? If we're not going to cherry pick that line's ice time and assignments then maybe we need to see how Patches does on another line too.

Where do Moen and Prust fit in? We have then for several more years after all.

I have no problem breaking up that top line if it means we can answer some of these questions. There was a very real chance we wouldnt have had a season this year so continuing this season as an evaluation and part of the rebuilding process is not a bad thing imho.

I like your lines weep except doesn't look like they have any interest in playing Leblanc at center, whether that's a mistake or not is debatable. The fact that's got 5 points in Hamilton is kind of concerning.

I'm worried about Leblanc too, those Hamilton stat lines are brutal for a prospect who's already had a fair bit of AHL seasonin.

Wonder if Dumont gets a chance, has the game of a typical 4th liner and is producing.

I'd be fine with that too. TBH, I don't really care who centers the fourth line, as long as Therrien doesn't try to give our fourth-liners disproportionate amounts of ice time (see Sniper Darche for more info).

Thing is though: now's probably the perfect time to do that. We will have an infusion of young forwards in short order & I dont know that giving Patches-DD-Cole the easy assignments and prime ice time is whats best for the team in the long run. Id still rather lose one more season & get another high draft pick than settle back in to mediocrity & squeak back into the playoffs at 8th.

Jed, my friend, we're losing this season no matter what. ;) The only question is how badly we lose. I'm not a fan of tanking a whole (albeit shortened) season right at the start purely on the basis of looking ahead. It doesn't send a great message to the players.

Can DD play less of a one dimensional role? If the answer is no, maybe he needs to get shopped, or maybe he can be moved to wing at some point.

Will Bourque bounce back? We should know this before the buyouts in the summer. Putting him on the 3rd or 4th line is not going to give us this answer.

Can Eller become more of a scoring threat? Will he be our #2 centre down the road, or do we start priming him to be our #3 shutdown guy for years to come.

Can Patches be the player he has been with someone other than DD? If we're not going to cherry pick that line's ice time and assignments then maybe we need to see how Patches does on another line too.

Where do Moen and Prust fit in? We have then for several more years after all.

In order:

1. To me, you play DD on the top line and maximize his offensive minutes, because it's pretty clear that he is a one-dimensional player, and if you want to shop him, the best thing to do is boost his trade value by showcasing him on a scoring line.
  2. Bourque is really nothing more than a fringe second-line winger, which is why I have him starting the season on the third line. Let him work his way into a top-six role (or take it over if Eller struggles on the second line).
  3. Finding out what Pacioretty can do without Desharnais is something we should save for the following season. Right now, I want Patches confident, producing, and scoring goals. My gut feeling is that he'll be productive no matter who's centering him, but why cross that bridge until we have to?
  4. Moen and Prust are lower-line grinders. You know that as well as I do. :) The question isn't where they fit but how we can avoid playing them over their heads, as RC and even Martin were wont to do with Moen and Darche.

Jed, my friend, we're losing this season no matter what. ;) The only question is how badly we lose. I'm not a fan of tanking a whole (albeit shortened) season right at the start purely on the basis of looking ahead. It doesn't send a great message to the players.

I fully agree about not tanking for the sake of tanking - I just think the decisions we make this year shouldnt be about this year at all, they should be about the future of this team & there are players that are going to be most likely playing key roles in our top lines that will not be apart of this squad as early as next year imho.

I also agree about DD, which is why I think he should have been moved last year when his value was super-high...but then it leads me back to the fact that Gauthier should have been removed long before the end of last season - ideally before the trade deadline, so that someone else (Bergevin or whomever) could have gotten a start on the rebuilding during the existing season, not the next.

For fun, we use this line up for the first 5 games of the season then we send Galchenyuk down.

Pacioretty -Plekanec- Gionta

A solid first line that would used mostly in scoring situations; once in a while used has a defensive zone start line, quite well rounded.

Galchenyuk -Desharnais- Cole

The scoring line the would get majority offensive zone starts.

Prust -Eller- Bourque

Some secondary scoring and somewhat of a checking line.

Armstrong -Gomez- Moen

The checking line, getting low ice time but used mostly in our zone. Gomez has 2 physical wingers to get the puck out of our zone.

I'd prefer to break up Pacman-DD-Cole because as good as it worked last season, we never had another line that worked while those 3 were together and we didn't win squat using that line-up. Yes, Gionta is back, but if anyone here thinks Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta is going to put up adequate points, then you're probably right up there with Pierre Gauthier and Randy Cunneyworth. I do like the possibility of playing Eller in the top 6 if Galchenyuk doesn't make the team, but I also don't expect him to be a big-time goal-scorer, and Plekanec really needs someone who can finish on his wing.

As I and others have noted, Pacman-Pleks-Gio would be a great combo that would still allow DD to play with Cole, along with Gally, Eller, Bourque or whoever else. Both lines would have some scoring punch and a power forward. Also, as much as we talk about DD having had success with his two wingers last year, Pleks did well with Pacman and Cole in his brief stint there too, and Gio and Pacman played well together with Gomez two seasons ago. I just don't feel like Pacman absolutely has to play with a particular player to do well, so long as he has someone to get him the puck, and I think DD can have success as long as he has at least one guy with size and a couple of guys who won't whiff on all his passes.

On the lower lines, I don't love the idea of Bourque playing with Gomez, but I can live with it. It has a little too much of an AK-Gomez feel to it, and that experiment failed drastically. Keeping Galchenyuk and sliding him onto the 2nd line allows us to put Eller in at the 3rd-line center spot and give a little drive to that trio. More importantly though, I'd want to make sure Travis Moen stays on the 4th line where he belongs. No center will have success feeding Moen (last year, I'm sorry, was a gigantic statistical anomaly and as nice as it was to see Moen score a bit, he won't repeat that shooting percentage this season). I'd much rather see two of Bourque, Gomez, Leblanc, Gallagher, or Armstrong on the 3rd, guys who can at least put the puck in the net a bit. I think Armstrong will have the edge, having performed well in that role under Therrien in Pittsburgh, but we'll see.

And lastly, on D, I like Diaz as a 3rd-pairing guy, but he can't play with Kaberle. That pairing is too soft. To me, Frankie Bouillon has to be one of the guys in that pairing, and I'd start Kabs over Diaz at this point because he has the higher potential and because I really believe he can have a bounce-back year being here from the start of the season. Let's all remember again that he's a guy who's played for 4 teams in a year and a bit and the time to get used to his new teammates will hopefully have helped him.

Habs POWER TO PLAYOFF lines

semi-serious

Bourque-Plekanec-Cole

Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta

Desharnais-Eller-Armstrong

Prust-White-Moen

We're stuck with Gomez for another season, let's surround him with the line that has worked the best for him the last two seasons. (He had 19 points in 21 games when they played together in 10/11). If he somehow magically rebounds, we look a lot better already.

Plekanec gets to play with two big bodies, and Bourque is better defensively than he gets credit for. Cole continues with his bull-in-china-shop style.

Desharnais moves to wing on the third line. He's a crafty guy and with Eller and Armstrong he gets two bigger bodies that have somewhat of a scoring touch. Armstrong is expected to be a grinder but when healthy he has had a .50 PPG and did score 22 goals in 2009.

Fourth line, crash boom bang.

If Gomez experiment fails, switch him with DD.

EDIT:

More seriously:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole

Eller-Plekanec-Gionta

Bourque-Gomez-Armstrong

Prust-White-Moen

Subban-Gorges

Markov-Emelin

Kaberle-Bouillon

Diaz

I don't think having Eller on the wing will slow his development in any way. And with Eller, Pleks and Gio, you have a line that is very dependable defensively. Other alternative is to slot Eller back in on third line center, shift Gomez to wing and move up Bourque.

Edited by dwdemonwolf

Pacioretty-Pleks-Gionta

Eller-DD-Cole

Bourque-Gomez-Moen

Prust-White-Armstrong

Markov-Emelin

Jorges-Subban

Diaz/Weber-Boullion

Price, Budaj.

Before making on paper any line combinations, we really need to deside what to do with Galtsenuyk. The 6 game trial just to take an NHL taste, might be a good option but i'd rather see him coming up slowly. To be honest the only young players that i would rather take a look at from Hamilton are Dumont and Gallagher. I don't expect Leblanc and Palushaj to crack the line up and that is a huge disappointment.

So assuming Dumont fits well at the 4th line center role, and Gomez sticking around, i predict a plethora of centers available to grab the remaining roster spots. It might probably be the right time to make a center available, and i think that since Plekanec and Eller are untouchables, the only available center is Desharnais. Actually i quite think that he will be a hot commodity because he is young, cheap and productive, perfect at a 2nd/3rd center role. We can trade him now, avoiding any declining in his production, and take an asset back. I think that our line up can live without him.

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Cole

Bourque-Eller-Gionta

Prust-Gomez-Armstrong

Moen-Dumont-White

All these thoughts occured to me when i read at the HF Boards site that Carolina may be on the hunt of a 2nd/3rd line center, and in order to do so they may consider moving an expendable defensemen like Pitkanen or McBain. This is when i thought that Desharnais would be a perfect fit for Carolina and Muller, behind the Staal's, especially now that Ruutu is out for the season, and McBain would be the perfect fit for Montreal, shoring up our defense.

Subban-McBain

Kaberle-Gorges

Markov-Emelin

ex.Bouillion

This will also make Weber and Diaz available for any team that needs help at defense if they give a 3rd and a 2nd round pick in 2013 respectively. St-Denis or Commodore can play the 8th D role and we can add another two picks in very deep draft indeed. These are just thoughts folks, i just feel that we need once again to do something with our defense. Lets give Price the chance to play with a better defense in front of him.

I like your lines weep except doesn't look like they have any interest in playing Leblanc at center, whether that's a mistake or not is debatable. The fact that's got 5 points in Hamilton is kind of concerning.

This is the way I see it as well, I think we'll see White on the 4th line or something before we see Leblanc playing 4th line C, but every other line is pretty much exactly like I'd set it up.

I see people want to keep the first line the same... I think it should be broken up a bit. We don't need A line, we need multiple lines.

My suggestion without Gally B.

Pac-Pleks-Cole

Eller-DD-Gionta Rotate DD with Pleks, Eller C 2nd line Pleks LW 2nd line.

Bourque-Gomez-Moen Bourque will break out. Gritty and Offense.

Prust-White-Armstrong Swap Armstrong with Moen.

Subban-Gorges <--- Safe end/Mashup ---> Subban-Emelin Force to wreck-en with.

Markov-Emelin Markov-Gorges Smarts

Diaz-Kabs Diaz-Kabs/Boullion Hold the fort or Kabs with offense.

Boullion Weber

Weber

Having Prust and Armstrong and the rest it takes alot off Pleks shoulders so lets let him fly.

I know Europe is different but man He is capable. Pleks was/has been overloaded with 2way but he doesn't have to be.

First/Second line and PK that's it.

There's a separation in safe end/Mash up

Markov-Gorges Smarts

Diaz-Kabs/Boullion Hold the fort or Kabs with offense.

Weber

This should be over to the left with the Mash Up.

I am trying to rebuild my enthusiasm for the Habs. Since this is usually my favorite thread here it goes:

Pac - DD - Cole

short season means familiarity is a must.

Eller - Plekanec - Gionta

These are our 3 next best players and they all play 2 ways.

Bourque - Gomez - Armstrong

Hopefully Colby can get these floaters out of the clouds.

Prust White Moen

Crash and bang. Moen can swap with Colby or Bourque occasionally.

Gorges - Subban

See top line for reasoning.

Markov - Emelin

Makes sense on paper and off the ice.

Kaberle - Bouillon

Simply hoping franky still has something left and Kabs can still make a breakout pass better than Diaz.

Franchise

Budaj

Spares: Diaz, Blunden

This is going to be a transition season. I simply feel that waiting until Gomez and Kaberle are bought out and we have a full summer with training camps is the right time to infuse the new blood and hope that comes with it.

Galchenyuk should play 25 minutes a game in Junior and hopefully a long playoff run, come into camp ready for the number 2 center spot and Dumont will grab a depth center spot along with a serious look at Gallagher up front.

On D either Tinordi, Beaulieu or Ellis might be ready with another 4 months in the Ahl and a full summer.

I just think a short season is tailored for veterans and poorly conducive to the patience necessary to develop good young players. The Habs are in the midst of turning over their core and this season is kind of bonus hockey while awaiting the gift that is the amnesty clause.

In a shortened season, we can't afford to waste games experimenting with line combos for the sake of balance. We have to hit the ground running and have at least one forward line producing out the gate if we want to have a chance of making the playoffs. Moreover, you can't play DD on a lower line and expect to get fair value. Tomas gives you great two-way value even without the Ozone minutes. DD doesn't. If you use DD as your top center and Pleks at second line, you get good offensive value from DD and good two-way value from Tomas (who will still post up 50+ points and can play in every situation and pretty much any linemate). If you use Tomas as your top center and DD at second line, sure you probably get a bit more production from your top line, but at the expense of a LOT of productivity on the second line. Plus you can't use DD to kill penalties or match up against other team's top lines. It's just not the right call, particularly in a shortened season when even one big losing streak can kill us out the gate.

The other reason to keep riding DD is Galchenyuk. We're projecting Gally as our future top centre, which makes it unlikely that we'll have the desire, roster space, or cap free to re-sign DD after 13-14. So let's max out DD's value by giving him the minutes, and in so doing, helping ourselves in the standings.

Fair points about keeping the DD line intact, but at the same time, I still believe that we rode that line last year at the expense of having any other line working. Plekanec was playing with the likes of Blunden, Moen, and Bourque for long stretches, and that just can't happen this season. Yes, Gionta is back, but I think it's asking a lot of him to be a 25-30 goal scorer again, and I don't think we have a second winger strong enough to complete a Plekanec-Gionta combination if we don't keep Galchenyuk and we don't break up the DD line.

I really like the idea of placing Pacman with Plekanec and Gionta. As I've noted, Pacioretty has shown good chemistry which each of those two guys beforehand, so it's not a matter of building up new lines from scratch. Similarly, I would keep Cole with DD and then try putting in Galchenyuk, Eller, or Bourque on that other wing. We have a much better chance at getting one of those guys going by having them draw easier match-ups (as DD's line would get) then by pairing them with Plekanec. Galchenyuk, in particular, should be able to replace what Pacioretty brought to that line, perhaps lacking experience and board work but making up for it with better puck skills and a quicker shot. I think he could very well with DD setting him up, and with Gally's quick release potentially surprising goalies, I think Cole would end up having a lot of chances with rebounds at the net.

Fair points about keeping the DD line intact, but at the same time, I still believe that we rode that line last year at the expense of having any other line working. Plekanec was playing with the likes of Blunden, Moen, and Bourque for long stretches, and that just can't happen this season.

But how has that changed? The problem isn't who we're using as our top center, the problem is that we have no quality top-six depth. And I'd much rather have Tomas centering lesser-skilled players than Desharnais, who needs to be put in a position to succeed offensively if he's going to give us solid production.

Yes, Gionta is back, but I think it's asking a lot of him to be a 25-30 goal scorer again, and I don't think we have a second winger strong enough to complete a Plekanec-Gionta combination if we don't keep Galchenyuk and we don't break up the DD line.

Well, I'm not sure what people expect out of a second line, but if Tomas throws up 15-20 goals and 50ish points and his wingers post up 15+ goals each, I'm pretty happy TBH. Gionta has proven in the past that he can score at least 15 (and upwards of 20 or 25) against difficult matchups. He's exactly the kind of finisher down low that Tomas was lacking for so much of last year. My suggestion to round out that line is Eller, who IMO has shown goalscoring finish but not much in the way of center-type puck distribution (he had only 12 assists in 11-12, but 16 goals despite seeing a lot of third-line time). So let's just play him at winger and try to max out his goalscoring capability in a two-way role. He's also got the size and jam to work the boards with Plekanec and take some wear and tear off the smaller Gionta.

Ultimately, this idea that we can do better by spreading the already-meagre talent we have out across lines is a bit puzzling to me. We have no superstar offensive forward who can carry the load on his own. We don't have a game-breaking streaky scorer who will command attention/matchups even when he's off his game (as we did in the past with Kovalev and then Cammalleri). We have one power forward (Pacioretty) and then a host of good-but-not-great top-sixers (Plekanec, Gionta, DD, Cole, and then the fringe guys like Bourque and Eller). We don't have the quality depth to spread out our offense. We have to go all-in with a big line, and let Pleks post up 50 points on the second line while feeding his linemates to the tune of 15+ goals each and giving us his usual stellar two-way play in all situations. If we waste time seeing what DD can do in a second-line capacity and fail to put Patches in a position to be productive out the gate, it could be curtains for our playoff chances in this shortened season.

Edited by weepingminotaur

Weep, I think our differences in opinion stem from the fact that I don't see the top two lines as being a 1st and a 2nd. They're just two lines, neither one of which I would say deserves more minutes or 1st unit PP time: those things can be adjusted depending on how well people play. I think the point we've both made, that we have no true star forwards, is exactly why I would try to balance out the attack between the top two lines. If we leave the old DD line intact, then it allows other teams (who now know that line is our primary scoring line and really the only line that can score consistently) to match its top defensive players against this line or to simply play its top line against the DD line. I just don't see the DD line winning too many games heads up against a Crosby line, a Stamkos-St.Louis line, a Gaborik-Richards-Nash line, an Ovi line, etc. And having stockpiled our first line with our two power forwards, we just don't have enough left on the remaining lines to make up for that, which is a big reason why we lost so many games last season.

To me, balancing out the Plekanec and DD lines a bit more means we force other teams to give one of them a good match-up. It also means we're not relying on the same line to score every night in order to win. Last season, any time the DD line didn't click, we lost. I don't want to see that repeat itself this time around. As I said, I do like the idea of sticking Eller in the top 6 (if Galchenyuk doesn't make the team), but I would still be in favor of placing Pacioretty with Plekanec and the other big body with DD. And while I fully understand the desire to maintain DD's value, I think we're underestimating what he's capable of doing offensively. I don't think he's good enough to produce if we stick him with the likes of Armstrong and Moen, but to give him Cole and one of Gally, Eller, and Bourque should allow him to continue to put up 50 points or more (extrapolated to an 82-game season). His D may not be great, but he's got excellent vision and passing skills, and I think he was as much responsible for Cole's rejuvenation as Cole was for making DD look good. And by pulling Pacman from his line, you allow DD to get better match-ups to work against. There's also nothing that says Pacman-DD-Cole can't be your #1 PP unit and keep their production up that way too. As an aside, DD is probably our #1 PP center just by virtue of the fact that Plekanec is our #1 PK center and can't be asked to play all those minutes.

Lastly, I think we all make the mistake of discussing these line combinations as if they're set in stone. Even 48 games is a long enough season to make changes to the lines as needed. If something really isn't clicking, there's nothing to say Therrien can't swap Pacman for Eller or Bourque for Gally. But in the end, I think we've gotten lost in the success that the DD line had and forgotten just how bad the team was DESPITE how well they played. Some of that will be fixed with more competent coaching and by the return of some key guys to health, but I think we can do better with the way we set up our top 6.

But how has that changed? The problem isn't who we're using as our top center, the problem is that we have no quality top-six depth. And I'd much rather have Tomas centering lesser-skilled players than Desharnais, who needs to be put in a position to succeed offensively if he's going to give us solid production.

Well, I'm not sure what people expect out of a second line, but if Tomas throws up 15-20 goals and 50ish points and his wingers post up 15+ goals each, I'm pretty happy TBH. Gionta has proven in the past that he can score at least 15 (and upwards of 20 or 25) against difficult matchups. He's exactly the kind of finisher down low that Tomas was lacking for so much of last year. My suggestion to round out that line is Eller, who IMO has shown goalscoring finish but not much in the way of center-type puck distribution (he had only 12 assists in 11-12, but 16 goals despite seeing a lot of third-line time). So let's just play him at winger and try to max out his goalscoring capability in a two-way role. He's also got the size and jam to work the boards with Plekanec and take some wear and tear off the smaller Gionta.

Ultimately, this idea that we can do better by spreading the already-meagre talent we have out across lines is a bit puzzling to me. We have no superstar offensive forward who can carry the load on his own. We don't have a game-breaking streaky scorer who will command attention/matchups even when he's off his game (as we did in the past with Kovalev and then Cammalleri). We have one power forward (Pacioretty) and then a host of good-but-not-great top-sixers (Plekanec, Gionta, DD, Cole, and then the fringe guys like Bourque and Eller). We don't have the quality depth to spread out our offense. We have to go all-in with a big line, and let Pleks post up 50 points on the second line while feeding his linemates to the tune of 15+ goals each and giving us his usual stellar two-way play in all situations. If we waste time seeing what DD can do in a second-line capacity and fail to put Patches in a position to be productive out the gate, it could be curtains for our playoff chances in this shortened season.

I have to agree with you on most points. Unfortunately we're stuck with either "older players who are on the decline" or "enigmatic players who are not living up to their potential". That's pretty much what we're stuck with talent wise right now.

The only "solid" offensive forward players we have (IMHO) are Pacioretty and Plekanec. For me, those are the only two (for this year).

Here are the lingering questions :

- Can Gionta score 20-25 goals?

- Can DD rack up more points than last year?

- Can Cole repeat last season's numbers?

- Can Bourque score?

- Can Eller rack up points?

That's a lot of unknown for your offensive players.

Here are the lingering questions :

- Can Gionta score 20-25 goals?

- Can DD rack up more points than last year?

- Can Cole repeat last season's numbers?

- Can Bourque score?

- Can Eller rack up points?

1. I think Gio can score 20-25/82 games if he stays healthy (adjusted to a 48-game season). I don't see him hitting 30 again. For this season, I can see him finishing in the 12-16 goal range.

2. I think the right question to ask is not whether DD can score more, but whether he can put up the same numbers again and whether he can do that without the same two linemates.

3. I don't see Cole putting up the same numbers. I think a lot went right for him last year. BI believe he'll give us the same energy and the same number of scoring chances, but I think he'll finish slightly fewer of them.

4. Bourque can score. Will he? I feel like he won't. I believe we'll get a bit more from him this season, but not enough to justify not making him one of the buyouts next off-season. I'd like to see what he can do with DD, as DD might be one guy who can get him going.

5. I believe this could be the year Eller breaks out. I predicted a breakout season for DD last year, and I can see the same elements being in place for Eller this time around. He may get a shot in the top 6, but either way, I think his tools are there and his confidence was building last season. I'm not sure he'll get the chance right at the start of the year, but I think he may force Therrien's hand as the year goes on.

1. I think Gio can score 20-25/82 games if he stays healthy (adjusted to a 48-game season). I don't see him hitting 30 again. For this season, I can see him finishing in the 12-16 goal range.

2. I think the right question to ask is not whether DD can score more, but whether he can put up the same numbers again and whether he can do that without the same two linemates.

3. I don't see Cole putting up the same numbers. I think a lot went right for him last year. BI believe he'll give us the same energy and the same number of scoring chances, but I think he'll finish slightly fewer of them.

4. Bourque can score. Will he? I feel like he won't. I believe we'll get a bit more from him this season, but not enough to justify not making him one of the buyouts next off-season. I'd like to see what he can do with DD, as DD might be one guy who can get him going.

5. I believe this could be the year Eller breaks out. I predicted a breakout season for DD last year, and I can see the same elements being in place for Eller this time around. He may get a shot in the top 6, but either way, I think his tools are there and his confidence was building last season. I'm not sure he'll get the chance right at the start of the year, but I think he may force Therrien's hand as the year goes on.

Good post :) I think we're on the same page for most of these. Time will tell what will happen this year. I want to be optimistic (as every start of year) but it's a bit hard right now.