Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BigTed3

2012-13 Habs Lines

244 posts in this topic

The bottom line for me is that

1) We've dealt away all of our top 6 depth at LW and done nothing to replace that.

2) We need to know if Eller can play in the top 6.

I don't really know if I like LL as a center, I'd have to see more of him first and I think he can break in a little easier on the wing, but you never know. I also have no problem with leaving Lars at center, but I'm concerned that if we do that, he'll be stuck playing with mediocre wingers on the 3rd line, which will help neither his development nor our ability to assess his maximum potential.

Here is another variation, that should be considered, touching on some of the points that have been brought up already. The top producing line of Cole-Desharnais-Patches SHOULD be dplit up due to the fact that Pacioretty and Cole are the 2 best goal scorers on the team. Plekanec and Desharnais are both very skilled at passing and there fore they should both get a power forward to work with. Desharnais has always had chemistry with Pacioretty so they should stay together. Eller is due for a break out season and he needs some talent with him to get to the level that he is capable of. Therefore I think that this is the best combination...

1. Bourque-Desharnais-Pacioretty (We all know Bourque is a capable scorer with the right linemates)

2. Cole-Plekanec-Gionta (if these top 6 don't work, I'd swap Desharnais with Plekanec and see how that works)

3. Moen-Eller-Armstrong (Galchenyuk if he makes the team - Bourque has a 10 game window for me in the top 6 - if he does not perform with different combinations, Eleer should be put in to top 6 as a LW - that being said Eller should have 5-7 shifts a game with top lines at the start of the season to say what he can prove)

4. Prust-White-Nokelainen (or Blunden)

***Would like to see Leblanc and Galchenyuk get some action even if they don't make the team***

Defensive pairings are already pretty solid, just have to focus a little more on the defensive side of the ice

Markov-Kaberle (Would like to try Subban with Markov first - have a feeling it won't work)

Subban-Gorges

Bouillon-Emelin

Let me know what you guys think

Here is another variation, that should be considered, touching on some of the points that have been brought up already. The top producing line of Cole-Desharnais-Patches SHOULD be dplit up due to the fact that Pacioretty and Cole are the 2 best goal scorers on the team. Plekanec and Desharnais are both very skilled at passing and there fore they should both get a power forward to work with. Desharnais has always had chemistry with Pacioretty so they should stay together. Eller is due for a break out season and he needs some talent with him to get to the level that he is capable of. Therefore I think that this is the best combination...

1. Bourque-Desharnais-Pacioretty (We all know Bourque is a capable scorer with the right linemates)

2. Cole-Plekanec-Gionta (if these top 6 don't work, I'd swap Desharnais with Plekanec and see how that works)

3. Moen-Eller-Armstrong (Galchenyuk if he makes the team - Bourque has a 10 game window for me in the top 6 - if he does not perform with different combinations, Eleer should be put in to top 6 as a LW - that being said Eller should have 5-7 shifts a game with top lines at the start of the season to say what he can prove)

4. Prust-White-Nokelainen (or Blunden)

***Would like to see Leblanc and Galchenyuk get some action even if they don't make the team***

Defensive pairings are already pretty solid, just have to focus a little more on the defensive side of the ice

Markov-Kaberle (Would like to try Subban with Markov first - have a feeling it won't work)

Subban-Gorges

Bouillon-Emelin

Let me know what you guys think

I have reservations about these lines.

First, I don't "know" that Bourque is a capable scorer. Perhaps he's finished, but it's worth trying out.

The Plekanec line is a defensive shutdown line. It is there to hold back the other team's best players. Armstrong might be a better fit than Cole.

You have Gomez riding the bench which is unlikely.

Finally, Markov will be psychologically rusty and I don't expect him to be a first pairing dman, certainly not for the 1st half of the season.

It may stink, but how about the EGG line? (If we still have Gomez, or maybe Bourque would be a better match on the LW...thoughts?)

Eller-Gomez-Gionta (EGG)

It may stink, but how about the EGG line? (If we still have Gomez, or maybe Bourque would be a better match on the LW...thoughts?)

Eller-Gomez-Gionta (EGG)

It could work but I would have Eller playing center and Gomez on the wing.

Not a time to panic yet, since we don't even know when the season will start, but if Bourque remains out, there's even more reason to push Eller up to the 2nd line LW spot. It would make it almost inevitable to retain Gomez at the 3rd line center spot as well, barring a breakout camp from Galchenyuk. As I've noted time and again, this team has lots of right-wing depth in the minors but very little on the left, and a situation like this shows why giving Eller a shot there benefits the club.

could alwaysss sign ak

could alwaysss sign ak

no thanks, I would rather see Eller get top 6 ice time.

Bottom six is gonna be interesting this year, finally something to look forward to, was sick and tired at looking at teams like Boston and Philly and rangers with a bottom 6 that could produce plus punish the other team. With guys like Moen,White ,Prust,LeBlanc, Armstrong and others it will be fun to watch.

For once it our abundance of centers that worries me. What to do with gomez. I think he and gionta, if teamed with the right power forward can still do some damage. Just look at what they did with Pouliot when he first came here then Pacioretty the next year until Chara almost killed him. But 7.5 is to rich to take chances on, and i dont want eller to go thru another season with 3-4 line players, i think he is too valuable to be put on the back burner again.

All of this said, you cannot break up the two and a half men line. Tough decisions lie ahead

Please let there be hockey this year

GO HABS GO

Hey Habsgurl, long time no see... Welcome back!

Hey Habsgurl, long time no see... Welcome back!

Good to be back, Thanks

The new line-up is taking shape and while it's sure to change before the season starts, this is the place to fill out your lines as if you were the coach. Who plays where? What holes are there? Let us know...

PAC-MAN COLE DD

GIONTA PELKY ELLER

GOMEZ MOEN ARMSTRONG

BOURQUE WHITE PRUST

NOKE

SUBBANATOR BOULION

MARKOV GEORGES

EMLIN DIAZ

KABERLE WEBBER

PRICE

ST DENNIE

BUDAJ

PAC-MAN COLE DD

GIONTA PELKY ELLER

GOMEZ MOEN ARMSTRONG

BOURQUE WHITE PRUST

NOKE

SUBBANATOR BOULION

MARKOV GEORGES

EMLIN DIAZ

KABERLE WEBBER

PRICE

ST DENNIE

BUDAJ

Most of this lineup looks good but Budaj will definitely be back up to Carey Price and Boullion will not be playing on the 1st pairing, he will be on the third no question about it.

My lineup for this year if it happens is:

Palushaj - Eller- Cole

Bourque - Pleks- Gionta

Pacman - DD - Armstrong

Moen- White- Prust

Noke

The first and third lines are really lines that will equally split O-zone starts while the second line will take the defensive starts. The fourth line will be our physical line

IF there is an opening day next month (unlikely)...

Pac DD Cole

Eller Pleks Gionta

Moen Gomez Leblanc

Priust White Armstrong

Gorges Subban

Markov Emelin

Kaberle Bouillon

Price

IF there is an opening day next month (unlikely)...

Pac DD Cole

Eller Pleks Gionta

Moen Gomez Leblanc

Priust White Armstrong

Gorges Subban

Markov Emelin

Kaberle Bouillon

Price

Contrary to popular belief, gionta and pleks dont work that well together. Gomez and gionta should be together, put them with a power forward(see pouliot and pacioretty) and it can work.

Two and a half men

Bourque-Gomez-Gionta

Leblanc-pleks-Armstrong

prust-white-moen

Pleks seems to get the shaft when it comes to line mates but heknows where he stands with this team.

1st PP

1st PK

Two way center/team best forward/MVP

Contrary to popular belief, gionta and pleks dont work that well together. Gomez and gionta should be together, put them with a power forward(see pouliot and pacioretty) and it can work.

Two and a half men

Bourque-Gomez-Gionta

Leblanc-pleks-Armstrong

prust-white-moen

Pleks seems to get the shaft when it comes to line mates but heknows where he stands with this team.

1st PP

1st PK

I don't think a lineup similar to this will ever happen because

A) Gomez is not a top 6 center

B ) Where's ELLER

C) Pleks is no 3rd line center, he is a 2nd line center.

Edited by Aussie6898

My lineup for this year if it happens is:

Palushaj - Eller- Cole

Bourque - Pleks- Gionta

Pacman - DD - Armstrong

Moen- White- Prust

Noke

The first and third lines are really lines that will equally split O-zone starts while the second line will take the defensive starts. The fourth line will be our physical line

Palushaj probably won't make the team, unless there's an injury . Even then I don't envision him to be on the # 1 line

There's already 13 signed players

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/roster.htm

You're putting

Pacman - DD -

on the 3rd line , and splitting them from Cole.

Don't foresee that happening either .

They were the # 1 line last year

It would only make sense to leave them as the # 1 line until or if they falter.

Palushaj probably won't make the team, unless there's an injury . Even then I don't envision him to be on the # 1 line

There's already 13 signed players

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/roster.htm

You're putting

Pacman - DD -

on the 3rd line , and splitting them from Cole.

Don't foresee that happening either .

They were the # 1 line last year

It would only make sense to leave them as the # 1 line until or if they falter.

I didn't mean to put it that they were a third or first line. It all happened by accident as I put the names of the centers. The Palushaj line would more likely be the third line and I believe that Palushaj will beat Nokelinan for the roster spot.

In terms of D, I think a lot of people have assumed Subban and Gorges should stay together because they played the top pairing last year and that Emelin should be the guy to play on the right with markov because they're both russian. I'd see things differently. Of all the guys we have on the team, Gorges is the guy who I'd see as being the most dependable. He's also the left-handed defenceman whose had the most success on the right. I see him as being the guy who best stabilizes the uncertainty of markov's knee and who gives him a stay-at-home partner.

I also think it's time to give Emelin and Subban a shot together, which leaves Emelin on the left and puts him in a role where he's the stay-at-home guy with a very capable puck-moving partner. Is Emelin ready to play first-pairing minutes and match-ups? Perhaps and perhaps not. But I see Gorges and markov as 2nd-pairing guys too, and although it's only Emelin's 2nd year in the NHL, he's not a pure sophomore given his khl experience. Next season is a time to give young guys experience without the pressure of having to meet high expectations, and I'd personally like to see Emling get the opportunity. Diaz is the right-handed guy on the 3rd pairing, and kabs and Bouillon rotate in and out of the other side. So that gives me

Emelin-Subban

markov-Gorges

kaberle-Diaz

Bouillon

Two and a half men

Bourque-Gomez-Gionta

Leblanc-pleks-Armstrong

prust-white-moen

1st PP

1st PK

Firstly, bourque will miss the start of the year.

Secondly, Pleks and Gionta had a good stretch together with Moen last year.

Thirdly, Gomez is barely an NHL player let alone top 6, he's only in there until Bourque gets back and Eller resumes 3rd line center duties,someone else claims it or miraculously he earns it.

On defence, bigted brings some interesting pairings that I don't disagree with as an eventuality but I dont see us coming out of camp with that.

There's absolutely no way that Plekanec gets put on the third line so Gomez can be in the top 6. No way.

Emelin-Subban

markov-Gorges

kaberle-Diaz

Bouillon

My only worry about the first pairing is communication, I remember that last year Emelin was having a very hard time communicating. Unless he learned fluent English that'd be a concern that we wouldn't have if he was paired with Markov.

I don't think you really need to know fluent English to play hockey. "Here", "go", "pass", "shoot", "hoser", "your mother", "now", and "put puck in net" are pretty much the only phrases you need to know :lol:

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of an Emelin-Subban pairing. Gorges is the best on the right side of our left handed defensemen, and would be a great partner for Markov with his stay at home and reliable play style. Subban and Emelin compliment eachother, and Emelin was much better on the left side. The combination of the two of them also gives us a really physical first pairing, which could be helpful against some teams with smaller forwards. I don't know if I'd necessarily designate one pairing as #1 and #2, I think with those pairing's we'd be better off giving both of them a somewhat equal share of the tough minutes, with perhaps a few more going to Emelin and Subban because they're both young enough for it (as is Gorges obviously, but IMO he wears down playing 25+ a night for a whole season).

I don't think Emelin is really at a "top pairing" level yet, but next season really doesn't look like we'll be going anywhere, so I think it would be best to see how he does and evaluate our plans with him going forward. I'd at least like to give Emelin-Subban and Markov-Gorges a try. I think it could work out well and get the most out of what is a pretty thin D corps.

Edited by Noob616

I don't think a lineup similar to this will ever happen because

A) Gomez is not a top 6 center

B ) Where's ELLER

C) Pleks is no 3rd line center, he is a 2nd line center.

Gomez can be a top 6 center if and only he is paired with top 6 wingers,he and his contract are here to stay, its to rich to trade and montreal has to much class to bury him in the minors. Pleks(who could be a 1st line center on any team) can play with anyone and contribute, and is so valuable to the power play and PK that maybe third line center mins(10-12 mins at 5 on 5) is just what he needs. See end quote of my last post, except for maybe Price, he is our MVP.

And Eller, sorry i just plain forgot about, i like every single player on the team, but I have not yet put Eller on this pedistal that everyone else seems to have already done, he worked well with Kostitsyn/Moen off and on but has not played very well with any one else, but if given the chance he will become a pretty good 2/3rd line center.