The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#55 Francis Bouillon 2012-2013

ColRouleBleu

Welcome back Frankie, even if it's undecided where you're going to be playing right now.

Upgrade in speed over Gill.

Speed yes, but Nash kept Gill and let Frankie walk. In his own end and on the PK, Gill imo is the better player. He has that long reach and when he gets down on the ice, takes up every shooting lane.

I would have prefered Jim Vandermeer over Bouillon. Better size, can fight some really tough guys and accepts a role as 6th or 7th d-man.

I agree, although i have a better option. Allen, for the salary he signed he was absolutely feasable.

I agree, although i have a better option. Allen, for the salary he signed he was absolutely feasable.

I would have liked allen as well but cube is better then what we had last year. He will fight, he does hit and he is cheap. I will take him over gill, camp, diaz,weber any day of the week. He is only a stop gap till our young guy's r ready.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I was pushing hard for Allen but the reality is, theres no way that Bouillon was signed instead of Allen. If we had wanted Allen then signing or not signing Bouillon wouldnt have factored either way, imho. Cube will be (at best) a #6-7 dman.

Had he signed here, Allen would have been called upon to be a top 4.

The other thing to consider is that he (allen) signed a 3 year deal, its likely that he was looking for that sort of a commitment and I think you could argue that with our youth on defense, 3 years may be too long. I would have been happy with someone of Allen's ability for 1 or 2 years but 3 might have been too long. In 3 years time there would be a log jam. You could argue that at that point you could trade some people. but I could understand the resistance to not sign a "bandaid" to several years term.

Time will tell if we are strong enough without adding someone like Allen. I have my doubts but it seems like Habs brass is content with their top 4, and defense corps in general if they are signing 3rd pairing defensemen so early in the offseason.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I was pushing hard for Allen but the reality is, theres no way that Bouillon was signed instead of Allen. If we had wanted Allen then signing or not signing Bouillon wouldnt have factored either way, imho. Cube will be (at best) a #6-7 dman.

Had he signed here, Allen would have been called upon to be a top 4.

The other thing to consider is that he (allen) signed a 3 year deal, its likely that he was looking for that sort of a commitment and I think you could argue that with our youth on defense, 3 years may be too long. I would have been happy with someone of Allen's ability for 1 or 2 years but 3 might have been too long. In 3 years time there would be a log jam. You could argue that at that point you could trade some people. but I could understand the resistance to not sign a "bandaid" to several years term.

Time will tell if we are strong enough without adding someone like Allen. I have my doubts but it seems like Habs brass is content with their top 4, and defense corps in general if they are signing 3rd pairing defensemen so early in the offseason.

Signing 6th and 7th pairing d-men instead of a top 4 is quickly becoming a favorite pasttime of the Habs. Wstch it do them in again when Markov gets injured. Notice I didn't say if.

• 3 weeks later...