The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#55 Francis Bouillon 2012-2013

ColRouleBleu

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The main reason why Frankie is back is probably due to MT.

We're already loaded on the blueline, can't think of another reason why the Hab would bring him back. Unless is was a favour for MT who knows him from jr.

He's not a big guy, but does have the type of grit MT likes. We get to see more of him stopping the puck on the blueline with his hand. One of the few dman I see doing that.

He played a solid game and I'm happy for him. That said, I really hope our coaching staff isn't counting on him playing 22+ minutes every night because ... you know ... common sense dictates that's just not going to work out.

I have to give Bouillon's thread a bit of a bump after the last few games, and I'm also getting read to put my foot squarely into my mouth. I thought that this signing was a disaster waiting to happen - I figured he'd get way too many minutes because of Therrien's favoritism and would get burned repeatedly as a result. So far, though, he's been nothing but solid through two games. Keep it up, Frank :)

I have to give Bouillon's thread a bit of a bump after the last few games, and I'm also getting read to put my foot squarely into my mouth. I thought that this signing was a disaster waiting to happen - I figured he'd get way too many minutes because of Therrien's favoritism and would get burned repeatedly as a result. So far, though, he's been nothing but solid through two games. Keep it up, Frank :)

Agreed, he played two strong games logging major minutes. It's nice to have a reliable presence on the back-end until the Subban situation is resolved. On the other hand, him getting those minutes is also a testament to our D's overall weakness ;)

I always thought Frankie was a solid player. My concern was,,, did he still have it??? Didn't see much of him the last few years, but it appears he still plays pretty much the same game that we saw his first time in Montreal,,, along with some added smarts. Looks like a good depth move so far.

• 2 weeks later...

When the Habs signed Soupy the "Cube" I thought it would be as insurance... a 6th-7th d-man. I remember posts of the past about the "Dandouillon" factor. A player with great heart but too small for the Habs needs. Go figure. He's here, he's playing decent minutes and he's now been paired with Subban. Go figure again. He's a character guy.

Sill... honetly did anyone think he would be playing top four/five? To me this indicates that the defense of the Habs remains a question mark... at least for now.

How many would dispute that the Habs top three d-men are Markov, Subban and Gorges? After that the next closest thing to a promising future is Emelin.

I get what they seem to be doing pairing and an experienced vet with a younger player (Markov-Emelin; Bouillon-Subban, Gorges-Diaz; Weber-Kaberle)... but is this the best the Habs can come up with?

Sure it is a decent group... but will it hold up? And will "Frankis" keep his spot?

When the Habs signed Soupy the "Cube" I thought it would be as insurance... a 6th-7th d-man. I remember posts of the past about the "Dandouillon" factor. A player with great heart but too small for the Habs needs. Go figure. He's here, he's playing decent minutes and he's now been paired with Subban. Go figure again. He's a character guy.

Sill... honetly did anyone think he would be playing top four/five? To me this indicates that the defense of the Habs remains a question mark... at least for now.

How many would dispute that the Habs top three d-men are Markov, Subban and Gorges? After that the next closest thing to a promising future is Emelin.

I get what they seem to be doing pairing and an experienced vet with a younger player (Markov-Emelin; Bouillon-Subban, Gorges-Diaz; Weber-Kaberle)... but is this the best the Habs can come up with?

Sure it is a decent group... but will it hold up? And will "Frankis" keep his spot?

I actually think Diaz and Emelin have played very well as well. It's a big difference for them being able to play with the likes of Markov and Gorges, as opposed to last year when they were being partnered with guys like Weber, Kaberle, St-Denis, Campoli, etc. I think Emelin is stepping into a top 4 role nicely, and once Subban gets going, I see him moving back to a pairing with Gorges. It'll leave Bouillon and Diaz as your third pairing, which will help to cut Frankie's ice to something more manageable. I think that works for this season, with each pairing having a vet and a younger player and each pairing having a defensive guy and an offensive guy. And at the end of the day, we only have one player (Emelin) playing on the off-side, which is much better than last yseason when we had all kinds of guys on the wrong side and switching around sides game to game.

Why did the Habs sign Bouillon again?

Another small defenseman... 37 years young

Added to an already small defense corps behind too many small forwards.

Questionable signing, yes. But he's actually done quite well so far this year. He's logging big minutes, he's played a solid game, and he's thrown big hits. The main problem is that he's being given PP time and way too many minutes in general. That's more an issue with Therrien than it is with Bouillon though. If you put him in a 3rd-pairing role, I think he's quite capable of giving us good minutes.

Questionable signing, yes. But he's actually done quite well so far this year. He's logging big minutes, he's played a solid game, and he's thrown big hits. The main problem is that he's being given PP time and way too many minutes in general. That's more an issue with Therrien than it is with Bouillon though. If you put him in a 3rd-pairing role, I think he's quite capable of giving us good minutes.

Doesn't address an already small d-corps

Doesn't address an already small d-corps

On the one hand, yes. On the other, Emelin, Bouillon, and Subban all play bigger than they are. They all hit well and play good positional games. I agree that it would be nice to get a bigger guy in the line-up though. Hopefully Tinordi is ready by next season to take on that role.

On the one hand, yes. On the other, Emelin, Bouillon, and Subban all play bigger than they are. They all hit well and play good positional games. I agree that it would be nice to get a bigger guy in the line-up though. Hopefully Tinordi is ready by next season to take on that role.

Yeah, Bouillon is fine. He's far from the reason why we lost tonight.

It always takes some frustration away when he hits someone hard :lol:

But I agree. I think Tinordi will complete this team really nicely. But I REALLY doubt he's NHL ready anytime soon.