The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#55 Francis Bouillon 2012-2013

ColRouleBleu

Bouillon has been very solid so far. Nice to see how his minutes have been reduced some after the first few games, and I still think he should not be on the PP, but I am a big fan of this signing. He's a reliable guy out there, good skater and has quite a decent first pass.

Ideally he should play with Diaz, it is time for Subban to move up the ladder.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Apparently he's signed a one-year extension according to my Facebook Habs feed.

Yeah its up on the main site now.

I can live with 1 year. There's not much risk, keeps Cube and MT happy... Its not really a "priority" signing obviously but i dont think its much of a distraction either. He's been a serviceable 3rd pairing dman

TSN:

The Montreal Canadiens have signed defenceman Francis Bouillon to a one-year contract extension worth $1.5 million.

The 37-year old Bouillon has played 28 games with the Canadiens in 2013, scoring goal and six assists.

Bouillon has scored 30 goals and 111 assists in 704 career regular season games with the Canadiens and Nashville Predators.

Originally signed by the Canadiens as a free agent in 1998, Bouillon has played the majority of his career in Montreal. He was signed by the club as an unrestricted free agent this off-season to a one-year deal worth $1.5 million.

I don't have much of a problem with the extension. Would have preferred a slightly lower cap hit to reflect next years numbers, but it's within acceptable range. Injuries happen all the time and i prefer the option of playing rookie D men under a controlled situation rather then a forced one.

You think? :huh: I'm not sure why this signing of an extension was even necessary at this time...

lol yeah it was unnecessary but Frankie Boo has been better than I thought he would be, serviceable 6. If he's even more limited next year it won't hurt to have extra depth in an 82 game season. No real issue with it so long as I don't see him on the PP anymore.

lol yeah it was unnecessary but Frankie Boo has been better than I thought he would be, serviceable 6. If he's even more limited next year it won't hurt to have extra depth in an 82 game season. No real issue with it so long as I don't see him on the PP anymore.

Maybe the Habs will pick-up Robidas from the Stars and we can continue moving in a reverse trend. :wacko:

I don't really like this move, the cap hit seems a bit high and there was no reason it had to get done now: we're taking a pointless risk that Bouillion has a career ending injury or something the rest of this season. If we're willing to give him 1.5 million (still a bit high in my opinion), I'm sure we could sign him in June.

Dunno what I feel about this one. On one hand it's largely inconsequential, but on the other hand I don't really like handing Bouillon a spot for next year already.

Exactly, it just seems so pointless at this point, like honestly if we offer him 1.5 million in June does anyone really believe he's going to say "no"?

Nothing wrong with this signing from my point of view. Barring a major trade, which seems unlikely at this point, Subban, Markov, Gorges, Emelin and Diaz will all be back next year, while it looks like Kaberle's and and Weber's days in Montreal will ultimately come to an end. Add in Bouillon, who's a proven asset and provides veteran presence on the lower pairing or as a 7th Dman, and we're set. Low risk move, we know what we're getting.