The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#55 Francis Bouillon 2012-2013

ColRouleBleu

I don't really like this move, the cap hit seems a bit high and there was no reason it had to get done now: we're taking a pointless risk that Bouillion has a career ending injury or something the rest of this season. If we're willing to give him 1.5 million (still a bit high in my opinion), I'm sure we could sign him in June.

In the event that he does have a major injury his money won't count against our cap and it will be a moot point anyway (for everyone but Bouillon and Moulson, I guess). If you already know that you want to keep the guy for another year I don't see anything wrong with locking him up early. You get the guy you want at the price you want and don't have to worry about some other team throwing a big offer his way (especially now that they ahve that one-week negotiating period). Granted that's probably not going to be an issue with Frankie, but whatever, we still know what we're spending and what we're getting.

If we're willing to give him 1.5 million (still a bit high in my opinion), I'm sure we could sign him in June.

Yeah, this is the thing for me, I just dont see why it couldnt have waited. I dont hate the deal (or love it, it just "is") but Im not quite sure what the rush was to sign a bottom tier defensman. I cant see he would have garnered much interest in the offseason - at least not to the point where our offer wouldnt have been enough, but its done so there you go.

Yeah, this is the thing for me, I just dont see why it couldnt have waited. I dont hate the deal (or love it, it just "is") but Im not quite sure what the rush was to sign a bottom tier defensman. I cant see he would have garnered much interest in the offseason - at least not to the point where our offer wouldnt have been enough, but its done so there you go.

As far as the timing goes, I still see it as Bergevin locking up the francophones on our team. To me that's the most logical explanation for why we have two mid-season deals which seemingly came out of nowhere (Desharnais and now Bouillon). I'm not saying that I think this is the best way to run a hockey team, but it is what Bergevin said he would do when he took over and he seems to be following through.

I get making an effort to lock up guys like Desharnais to increase the francophone contingent on the team, because he's actually a valuable hockey player and guys of his calibre don't grow on trees. The reality with Bouillon is that he's the definition of a replacement level player, he does everything at about the level you'd expect from a random UFA signing and nothing more. I don't really get why there's a rush to be re signing him, for all we know he completely falls off and has a terrible finish to the season, he's at the age where even a couple months can be the difference between being a useful player and an AHLer.

I get making an effort to lock up guys like Desharnais to increase the francophone contingent on the team, because he's actually a valuable hockey player and guys of his calibre don't grow on trees. The reality with Bouillon is that he's the definition of a replacement level player, he does everything at about the level you'd expect from a random UFA signing and nothing more. I don't really get why there's a rush to be re signing him, for all we know he completely falls off and has a terrible finish to the season, he's at the age where even a couple months can be the difference between being a useful player and an AHLer.

I don't think the team would have an issue sitting him the press-box if this becomes a reality.

I don't think the team would have an issue sitting him the press-box if this becomes a reality.

I meant that we probably wouldn't sign him again in the first place if he had a bad finish to the season.

Again I guess I'll just reiterate that this really is just a non-issue, it's not like there's an important contract expiring this summer and we'll vitally need 1.5M for some blue chipper. My concern is more roster space already being given to a marginal and easily replaceable player.

I meant that we probably wouldn't sign him again in the first place if he had a bad finish to the season.

Again I guess I'll just reiterate that this really is just a non-issue, it's not like there's an important contract expiring this summer and we'll vitally need 1.5M for some blue chipper. My concern is more roster space already being given to a marginal and easily replaceable player.

Bouillon is a replaceable player, yes... But from where? Outside of the organization? Then why bother? Inside the organization I don't see anyone ready to replace 15 - 20 minutes a night consistently. Sure, Pateryn and Tinordi looked okay in their auditions, but they doesn't mean they will be successful beyond a handful of games at this time.

Exactly JR, a few games doesn't mean much. I've been impressed with Tinordi so far, but not ready trade our dmen away to make room for him.

Soup may not like it, but I see him as an insurance policy for next season.

Yep, and that's fine with me. Most likely Kaberle and Weber will be gone. That leaves space for one rookie to work his way in on some nights, IMO.

And those saying his contract guarantees a roster spot for him next season, well that's just not true. We have 4.25M of Kaberle in the press box right now. Salary does not dictate if a player should play or not. If Bouillon isn't good enough, he won't play, simple as that.

I do not understand those saying he's got a free pass thanks to his contract. He's got to live up to it as well.

i don't understand what the problem is with this deal? take a look around he is a good safe solid dman. he is not huge but he plays a hard game a lot harder than some other guys who are a lot bigger! he really wants to play here and he is an asset with our young dmen and we are going to need that with the young guys we have coming up. it is for one year it is not like we gave him a 4 year deal people!

i don't understand what the problem is with this deal? take a look around he is a good safe solid dman. he is not huge but he plays a hard game a lot harder than some other guys who are a lot bigger! he really wants to play here and he is an asset with our young dmen and we are going to need that with the young guys we have coming up. it is for one year it is not like we gave him a 4 year deal people!

I dont think anyone really has a problem with us bringing back Boullion. There are 2 things that are being tossed around: 1 is timing - it just seems like a very odd time to sign a 3rd pairing dman who usually doesnt get offers until a few weeks into free agency anyway. There is no real "urgency" to get the deal done.

The other thing - and probably more important - is that even though in a vacuum the deal isnt bad, the problem is that as you hand out all of these 4th line, 3rd pairing deals, you do two things: 1) you use up the money you may need for higher end players and 2) you take away opportunities for young roster players.

In both cases, the Boullion deal may be fine - im not sure we have anyone who can step in next year (and if we did, we can still trade someone) plus i dont know we'll need that extra $1.5m - but to give the deal out so early just seems strange/somewhat counterproductive.

Thats all.

And those saying his contract guarantees a roster spot for him next season, well that's just not true. We have 4.25M of Kaberle in the press box right now. Salary does not dictate if a player should play or not. If Bouillon isn't good enough, he won't play, simple as that.

Actually, no, because if that were really true, Bouillon would have been platooning with Kaberle this year, particularly after Diaz went down and we needed a good PP quarterback for the second unit.

Actually, no, because if that were really true, Bouillon would have been platooning with Kaberle this year, particularly after Diaz went down and we needed a good PP quarterback for the second unit.

Yup. It's pretty obvious that Bouillon is one of Therrien's guys, which is fine, but I see this as basically squaring away the #6 spot unless Tinordi has a breakout stretch. There's also that it's hard to criticize 1 regulation loss in 18 games but I don't think Bouillon is that much (if any) better than Kaberle to warrant Kaberle not playing at all.

Yup. It's pretty obvious that Bouillon is one of Therrien's guys, which is fine, but I see this as basically squaring away the #6 spot unless Tinordi has a breakout stretch. There's also that it's hard to criticize 1 regulation loss in 18 games but I don't think Bouillon is that much (if any) better than Kaberle to warrant Kaberle not playing at all.

You're saying this like it's a bad thing, but I for one like the idea of having a cheap, known commodity in place who can be replaced if someone like Tinordi shows they're ready.

I won't deny the man love MT has for Bouillon or the odd timing of this move though.

You're saying this like it's a bad thing, but I for one like the idea of having a cheap, known commodity in place who can be replaced if someone like Tinordi shows they're ready.

I won't deny the man love MT has for Bouillon or the odd timing of this move though.

What I meant is more that Bouillon really shouldn't be an every day player at the expense of Kaberle. I can understand giving Bouiillon 3 out of 5 games and Kaberle playing the other 2, but I don't think Bouillon should be in the lineup every game over Kaberle.

But yeah, it's not a bad signing and he's good depth but I don't know if Tinordi will get a shot over Bouillon unless he massively (no pun intended) out plays Bouillon. Again though, it's just a whatever signing, it does make sense for us to have him around again especially with Kaberle and Weber likely being gone in the summer.

Guest habs1952

After perusing the list of free agents available this summer I gotta agree with the Bouillion re-signing. The free agent list is pretty barren of quality players.

What I meant is more that Bouillon really shouldn't be an every day player at the expense of Kaberle. I can understand giving Bouiillon 3 out of 5 games and Kaberle playing the other 2, but I don't think Bouillon should be in the lineup every game over Kaberle.

But yeah, it's not a bad signing and he's good depth but I don't know if Tinordi will get a shot over Bouillon unless he massively (no pun intended) out plays Bouillon. Again though, it's just a whatever signing, it does make sense for us to have him around again especially with Kaberle and Weber likely being gone in the summer.

Are you saying to get an opportunity his play would have to be head and shoulders above Bouillon? :ph34r:

After perusing the list of free agents available this summer I gotta agree with the Bouillion re-signing. The free agent list is pretty barren of quality players.

Agreed, he knows Montreal, knows MT well and his system. We could get a player that for one reason or another, just doesn't fit with our system.

Like I said previously, the soup signing was a depth move. Tinordi may be ready next season for full time duties or he may really struggle. Komisarek was horrible his first season, Subban had his struggles and so has many other young dmen. Being the last line of defense is a hard position for youngins. The NHL is faster, there's less room to move, the speed causes things to unfold rather quickly.

We're seeing this from Chuck right now. He's trying to do what he's done his whole life, but realizing he's not having the same results he had in the OHL. The way he's playing now is exactly how i expected him to be in his first season. Gallagher has been great (offensively), but he also had the opportunity to play a season in Hamilton before making the jump.

Soup is not a top pairing dman, he's a depth guy.

In the event that he does have a major injury his money won't count against our cap and it will be a moot point anyway (for everyone but Bouillon and Moulson, I guess). If you already know that you want to keep the guy for another year I don't see anything wrong with locking him up early. You get the guy you want at the price you want and don't have to worry about some other team throwing a big offer his way (especially now that they ahve that one-week negotiating period). Granted that's probably not going to be an issue with Frankie, but whatever, we still know what we're spending and what we're getting.

While it's true we can put him on LTIR, the problem is you can't always use that money during the offseason (what if he heals? plus the whole tagging room can get you). Or maybe he just has an awful playoffs? Or maybe we need the money for something else?

In the end, it probably wouldn't make any difference if we signed him in June, I just see no real upside to signing him now and some, ableit relatively small, risk.

I think the message is being sent with this signing. Bergevin has some signifiant ontracts oming due over the next 12 month and some tough deisions to make. This signing lets others know what kind of player this team is interested in. Therien has clearly expressed why this is a good signing and the rest of the players (inluding Subban) now have an idea of what is expected. I do believe Subban may be getting his long term deal before training camp ends if he continues along this path. Great signing as the D should only get better for the foreseeable future.

• 2 weeks later...