The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#8 Brandon Prust 2012-2013

ColRouleBleu

One good thing about having a 4th liner that can fight is his opponents have to sit out with him. If he's a 4th liner like Prust, odds are that it'll hurt the other team more to have a better player in the penalty box. For example if Prust fought with Lucic it would help our team more since Lucic is out than it would for the B's since Prust is out. Same thing goes for White and Moen.

One good thing about having a 4th liner that can fight is his opponents have to sit out with him. If he's a 4th liner like Prust, odds are that it'll hurt the other team more to have a better player in the penalty box. For example if Prust fought with Lucic it would help our team more since Lucic is out than it would for the B's since Prust is out. Same thing goes for White and Moen.

We've been talking about Prust's fighting skills, but he brings more than that. He will get the odd goal for us, bring his physical game when needed, disrupt the other team and he can also play the PK.

The guy is also in his prime. He's close to a Chris Nilon, not quite a heavyweight, but can drop the gloves and also help the team in other ways.

I'm quite happy to have him. He apparently is going out with a Montreal girl, so that was an extra incentive to sign here.

Another good thing is Prust, Armstrong and Moen can play on a top 6 line from time to time if a message needs to be delivered to the oposition.

I don't know a lot about how Prust has done if he's been in the top 6 before, but moen should not in any way be in the top 6 for even short bursts in my opinion. Last year was without a doubt an anomaly in his career and he really offers very little support for guys like Plekanec, DD, or Gomez who are expected to put up points. You don't win games by having a top line that sits back and defends. I don't mind having a guy like Bourque or Armstrong in the top 6 from time to time, even though I don't see either guy as being ideal, because they've both shown they can score a bit in situations like that. But to me, moen and likely Prust as well are supporting cast guys who should be used exclusively in that role.

I don't know a lot about how Prust has done if he's been in the top 6 before, but moen should not in any way be in the top 6 for even short bursts in my opinion. Last year was without a doubt an anomaly in his career and he really offers very little support for guys like Plekanec, DD, or Gomez who are expected to put up points. You don't win games by having a top line that sits back and defends. I don't mind having a guy like Bourque or Armstrong in the top 6 from time to time, even though I don't see either guy as being ideal, because they've both shown they can score a bit in situations like that. But to me, moen and likely Prust as well are supporting cast guys who should be used exclusively in that role.

My point was that they would be there for their physicality, in the sense of mess with my line mates and you mess with me. I don't recall Semenko have good hands or hockey sense, but he gave Gretzky room to move. My point isn't they are top 6 forwards but they wouldn't be ineffective as muscle on occasion.

My point was that they would be there for their physicality, in the sense of mess with my line mates and you mess with me. I don't recall Semenko have good hands or hockey sense, but he gave Gretzky room to move. My point isn't they are top 6 forwards but they wouldn't be ineffective as muscle on occasion.

And that's fair enough, but we saw how Georges Laraque flopped in that role. A guy has to be able to play in addition to being tough, and that's the difference between Lucic and Shelley. In the case of moen and Prust, both can bring something to the team, but in a defensive role. I'm personally a believer that the 6 guys in your top 6 have to be able to put up points. They can be good defensively too, but they need to be able to score to some degree or they weigh down what your other guys can do. We don't have Crosby or Ovechkin on our top line who can create by themselves. We have guys who are passers first and they need to have guys to dish the puck to. We've seen over the past two to three years how it's hurt guys like Pleks and Gomez to be playing with moen, Lapierre, Pyatt, Laraque, etc. It's time we used talent in our top 6 and took the game to the other team, the way the DD line did last season. In any case, moen is not really an enforcer-type anyways. He fights when he has to, but he's not the guy who's going to be playing bodyguard and I don't find him to be all that intimidating to play against. If we were going to go with a "tough" guy in the top 6, I would opt for White above moen and Prust... at least he's had a history of being a point-producer in junior and he's a guy who's a little bit more physically-involved. I'm still not advocating for him being there, but he'd be my choice above the others if we did decide to go that route. As I said, I don't know enough about Prust to know how he'd perform in that role, but I'm skeptical.

And that's fair enough, but we saw how Georges Laraque flopped in that role. A guy has to be able to play in addition to being tough, and that's the difference between Lucic and Shelley. In the case of moen and Prust, both can bring something to the team, but in a defensive role. I'm personally a believer that the 6 guys in your top 6 have to be able to put up points. They can be good defensively too, but they need to be able to score to some degree or they weigh down what your other guys can do. We don't have Crosby or Ovechkin on our top line who can create by themselves. We have guys who are passers first and they need to have guys to dish the puck to. We've seen over the past two to three years how it's hurt guys like Pleks and Gomez to be playing with moen, Lapierre, Pyatt, Laraque, etc. It's time we used talent in our top 6 and took the game to the other team, the way the DD line did last season. In any case, moen is not really an enforcer-type anyways. He fights when he has to, but he's not the guy who's going to be playing bodyguard and I don't find him to be all that intimidating to play against. If we were going to go with a "tough" guy in the top 6, I would opt for White above moen and Prust... at least he's had a history of being a point-producer in junior and he's a guy who's a little bit more physically-involved. I'm still not advocating for him being there, but he'd be my choice above the others if we did decide to go that route. As I said, I don't know enough about Prust to know how he'd perform in that role, but I'm skeptical.

I'm not communicating well enough. I believe the 3 players I mentioned can play or they wouldn't be on the PK and they are bottom 6 forwards. My drift is that since they can play on the PK they have some hockey sense and therefore wouldn't be clueless on a top 6 line for a few shifts to send the message that cheap shots will be answered and that we won't turn the other cheek. Yeah it would be nice to have a Probert, but it seems all managements don't want their top six fighting at all. They aren't my idea of top 6 forwards.

We've been talking about Prust's fighting skills, but he brings more than that. He will get the odd goal for us, bring his physical game when needed, disrupt the other team and he can also play the PK.

The guy is also in his prime. He's close to a Chris Nilon, not quite a heavyweight, but can drop the gloves and also help the team in other ways.

I'm quite happy to have him. He apparently is going out with a Montreal girl, so that was an extra incentive to sign here.

Yep Mariepier Morin

201203274W9P3H_460.jpg

http://7jours.ca/vedettes/entrevues/maripier-morin-su-faire-sa-place

Love this signing , brings alot to the table solid PKer , chip in a few goals here and there , and drop the Mitts to stand up for his teamates when needed , great addition , my hope is to see him Drop Milan Lucic at centre Ice of the Bell centre....... ;)

This was my original post about Prust , then whole bunch of talk about fighting etc , more BGL bashing "No wonder he once said he wouldn't want to play in MTL back in the day"

Fighting is still part of the game , is still allowed , other teams have run the habs over in thier own building , a signing like this simply made me happy , to those labeling guy 4th liner , etc etc , wow , this guy brings much more to the table.

The game has evolved I understand , having played all my life and have been coaching for 20 years and still do , I get that the one dimensional "Fighter" days are numbered , however Brandon is much much much more than that. Teams still employ that role and have had there way in our building , Brandon cannot fill the void alone , but he certainly brings to the table an element sorely lacking , and to the purists and those who don't like Fighting , whatever still exists and still need to be able answer it or watch Habs stay at bottom and be pushed around.

Welcome Brandon ! Good solid honest hard nosed Canadian kid , we need more of them!

There was a lot of confusion and politics surrounding BGL and his role on the team. He's got a big heart and takes on too many causes. One he took on, was trying to convince Bettman that there still was a place for enforcers in the new NHL. Because he was a poster boy for "modern day" enforcers and had to play by the rules to show bettman it was possible, there were things he couldn't get away with, that another enforcer could. Bettman wanted enforcers to invite other players to a fight, instead of the old school way where you just grabbed a guy and started pounding. It was a cause he never should've took on. It killed his career and it also hurt the habs. His hands were basically tied, all of his own doing, still they were tied.

His role on the team was never confirmed either. No player can succeed when you have no idea what you're suppose to be doing. JM never believed in enforcers or tough guys, so being on a team where your coach doesn't believe you're needed, makes life very hard for a hockey player.

Yup, but I sure liked his role in "goon" :P

I certainly am glad to have Prust join the team he strikes me as someone I'd get along with really well.His teammates will undoubtedly feel the same way after a few cheap shot artists start their usual antics with the Habs.Having White Moen and Bourque on the team also should alleviate a lot of the injuries that result from the cheap shots that teams have been getting away with against the Habs for a decade now.Welcome aboard Brandon I can't wait for the pre-season to start let alone the real season.

• 4 weeks later...

I just want you to look up the numbers he put up in Edmonton for just an enforcer... they arent superstar numbers but for the toughest man to ever play hockey.. they're pretty good.. as for Moen he's duct tape and holds the team together.

• 5 months later...

Prust's career numbers show he will be a 3rd to 4th liner but with decent +/- considering that role.

He will fight and give physical presence along with Moen.

White and Cube as little guys will fight.

Now we have 4 guys willing to get their nose punched in order to stick up for a teammate.

Laroque was an epic fail because he could only fight and he refused to do so. He wouldn't even hit or lean on guys

to intimidate them and they knew he wouldn't fight them since they were below his weight class.

Prust looks like he can at least play an acceptable game considering his limited skill set.

I like Prust a lot, he has decent speed, not bad hands at all, can body check/fight and plays well on the PK, which is a big plus.

I was very impressed with his performance. Skated hard. Won his fight.

He handled poor passes along the sidewalls well and used the body very effectively to protect the puck

to subsequently attempt a pass. Didn't expect that out of a grinder like him.

If he had a little more offensive instinct he could probably increase his point production 15 over an entire season.

Can't wait to see how he changes the game dynamics against Boston and Philly.

Now we have 4 guys willing to get their nose punched in order to stick up for a teammate.

Actually, we've got more than 4 now.

Prust & White actively seek it, Moen, Armstrong and Bouillon won't hesitate to engage in it. Bourque, Cole & Gorges will definitely fight too. Don't forget Blunden who has also been an active pugilist - whether he has a regular roster spot or not is up for debate.

The nicer thing now though is as well as these guys, we have far less guys who "need protecting" - that was always the knock - and this is far more important to me than just having a bunch of guys who can fight. Patches, Eller, Gally, PK - they all have great size & don't get pushed around.

Aside from a couple of guys (Gio, DD, Pleks) - some of whom play tough but are undersized - we really don't have a very small team any more.

I still don't love the 3rd and 4th line contracts of Moen & Prust, but you can't argue that this team is a bunch of smurfs anymore.

Actually, we've got more than 4 now.

Prust & White actively seek it, Moen, Armstrong and Bouillon won't hesitate to engage in it. Bourque, Cole & Gorges will definitely fight too. Don't forget Blunden who has also been an active pugilist - whether he has a regular roster spot or not is up for debate.

The nicer thing now though is as well as these guys, we have far less guys who "need protecting" - that was always the knock - and this is far more important to me than just having a bunch of guys who can fight. Patches, Eller, Gally, PK - they all have great size & don't get pushed around.

Aside from a couple of guys (Gio, DD, Pleks) - some of whom play tough but are undersized - we really don't have a very small team any more.

I still don't love the 3rd and 4th line contracts of Moen & Prust, but you can't argue that this team is a bunch of smurfs anymore.

And those small guys you mentioned generally don't get engaged in fights anyway but they don't run their mouths. In the case of Gio/DD especially, I don't think you'll ever see them get challenged to a fight (Plek's is a little bigger and can occasionally be a shift disturber ;)).

Does Cole actually fight? I know PK doesn't mind dropping them sometimes either though we'd like to avoid that.

And those small guys you mentioned generally don't get engaged in fights anyway but they don't run their mouths. In the case of Gio/DD especially, I don't think you'll ever see them get challenged to a fight (Plek's is a little bigger and can occasionally be a shift disturber ;)).

Does Cole actually fight? I know PK doesn't mind dropping them sometimes either though we'd like to avoid that.

Yeah, Cole has fought. He doesnt go out looking for them and he will skate away from most challenges, but Ive seen him fight to defend a teammate on several occasions. he plays tough too, of course. I think, like PK, its frowned upon by management when he pulls himself out of a game with a fight. ;)