The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#74 Alexei Emelin 2012-2013

ColRouleBleu

So why the return to the full cage? I realize he has that old injury from the KHL and it's why he can't fight, but he's had that injury for awhile. He didn't wear the cage last year, so why now?

I read somewhere today that he re-injured it in the KHL after taking an errant elbow to the face. Took it right where he got his plates put in, so the cage is to let it heal up to full.

So why the return to the full cage? I realize he has that old injury from the KHL and it's why he can't fight, but he's had that injury for awhile. He didn't wear the cage last year, so why now?

He had an injury this year in the KHL (body check to the face or something like that).

I've enjoyed reading about and listening to Emelin's performance this year. I still only half believe he finally came over to North America.

Guest habs1952

I love the way he plays. He's a throwback to Teddy Harris & Terry Harper days. Now if the NHL would just get back to recognizing a good body check and stop trying to make these guys play like wussies! On a dump in, 1 to 2 strides should be a legal check, not interference!

Wow...haven't heard those 2 names in a long time. :)

Quietly very solid this season. No big mistakes, a lot of hits with few penalties... I like what I've seen out of Emelin.

He's looked good. Of course everybody looks good next to Marky. Ask Komy in T.O. :lol:

Guest habs1952

I love watching this guy play but I was sure glad he never threw a big hit especially in the first half of the game. The team was rolling and there was no sense in waking up the Sabres.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Im surprised there's no love after at least *trying* to stand up to Chara. Obviously there's no one on this team (maybe no one in the league?) who could go toe to toe with Chara because of his enormous reach, but it was gutsy of Emelin not to simply turtle after getting nailed from behind & then pummelled while down.

Frankly, im sort of surprised that sequence by Chara wouldnt be reviewed by the league - a very hard (albeit open ice) hit from behind, well away from the play - you could easily give the recipient a concussion or whiplash. The hits while he hadnt even had a chance to get back up were just poor sportsmanship.

Not saying I agree with it but I can't remember there ever being a hearing for someone 'jumping' the opponent. Basically, Chara did the same thing Ryan White did to Fleischmann not too long ago.

Not saying I agree with it but I can't remember there ever being a hearing for someone 'jumping' the opponent. Basically, Chara did the same thing Ryan White did to Fleischmann not too long ago.

What do you mean by basically? He creamed him with an illegal check from behind at high speed before he jumped him. I actually thought Emelin did alright considering the disadvantage he found himself at. I too think it should be a suspendable offense but doubt the league will even look at a "Jacobs" boy.

It wasnt the sucker punches after Emelin was down, it was the high speed levelling of a player, from behind, not even close to the play - that initial hit - that should be suspension-able. Emelin was virtually standing still, looking in the opposite direction, with no inkling that someone would come up behind him.

You all know i have no problem with big solid hits - especially open ice ones - and I have no problem with defending a teammate, but because of Emelin's position in correlation to Chara, the fact that he was barely moving and - most importantly - the fact that it was nowhere near the puck, this was a dirty hit.

What do you mean by basically? He creamed him with an illegal check from behind at high speed before he jumped him. I actually thought Emelin did alright considering the disadvantage he found himself at. I too think it should be a suspendable offense but doubt the league will even look at a "Jacobs" boy.

I agree, Emelin did a lot better than i expected - at least he fended him off.