The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#74 Alexei Emelin 2012-2013

ColRouleBleu

It wasnt the sucker punches after Emelin was down, it was the high speed levelling of a player, from behind, not even close to the play - that initial hit - that should be suspension-able. Emelin was virtually standing still, looking in the opposite direction, with no inkling that someone would come up behind him.

You all know i have no problem with big solid hits - especially open ice ones - and I have no problem with defending a teammate, but because of Emelin's position in correlation to Chara, the fact that he was barely moving and - most importantly - the fact that it was nowhere near the puck, this was a dirty hit.

I agree, Emelin did a lot better than i expected - at least he fended him off.

I was pretty worried about this. Emelin still has that plate in his forehead, that's why he was wearing a cage to start the season because he took a stick in the face or something over in the KHL. That's why he turtled at first but when Chara suckered him in the back of the head that set him off...obviously can't sit there and take it.

What do you mean by basically? He creamed him with an illegal check from behind at high speed before he jumped him. I actually thought Emelin did alright considering the disadvantage he found himself at. I too think it should be a suspendable offense but doubt the league will even look at a "Jacobs" boy.

By 'basically' I mean he jumped a player who wasn't expecting it. The situations may not be 100% identical but the underlying theme, i.e. Chara's and White's motivation for doing so, are the same – standing up for their teammate. There won't be a suspension and there shouldn't be one IMO, the check doesn't warrant one the way I see it. Instigator penalty, maybe even 2 extra minutes for roughing or charging, that's it. Emelin should've gotten two for cross-checking as well though, even if it looked like Seguin embellished the hit. It was a blown call to begin with.

It wasnt the sucker punches after Emelin was down, it was the high speed levelling of a player, from behind, not even close to the play - that initial hit - that should be suspension-able. Emelin was virtually standing still, looking in the opposite direction, with no inkling that someone would come up behind him.

You all know i have no problem with big solid hits - especially open ice ones - and I have no problem with defending a teammate, but because of Emelin's position in correlation to Chara, the fact that he was barely moving and - most importantly - the fact that it was nowhere near the puck, this was a dirty hit.

I didn't see the hit as being high-speed and although I didn't like the move Chara pulled, I just don't think it's suspension-worthy. It's cowardly and cheap for sure, especially considering Emelin's injury history, but this is the NHL and that kind of retaliation stuff seems to be encouraged or at least tolerated. Again, I'm not agreeing with it but it's been like that for as long as I can remember.

By 'basically' I mean he jumped a player who wasn't expecting it. The situations may not be 100% identical but the underlying theme, i.e. Chara's and White's motivation for doing so, are the same – standing up for their teammate. There won't be a suspension and there shouldn't be one IMO, the check doesn't warrant one the way I see it. Instigator penalty, maybe even 2 extra minutes for roughing or charging, that's it. Emelin should've gotten two for cross-checking as well though, even if it looked like Seguin embellished the hit. It was a blown call to begin with.

I didn't see the hit as being high-speed and although I didn't like the move Chara pulled, I just don't think it's suspension-worthy. It's cowardly and cheap for sure, especially considering Emelin's injury history, but this is the NHL and that kind of retaliation stuff seems to be encouraged or at least tolerated. Again, I'm not agreeing with it but it's been like that for as long as I can remember.

It could have ended as a very dangerous incident (lucky it didn't. Sounds to me as though you are agreeing with it by accepting it while even referring to it as a cheap shot.) The hit from behind was obviously charging and Emelin was not in a position to defend himself.

Why would I agree with it and post the opposite? All I'm trying to say is that by NHL standards, this is not a suspension. I don't think the hit could have ended in a very dangerous incident though, Chara didn't charge at Emelin with full-speed and he didn't smash him into the boards or anything. The hit was illegal no doubt, but there was no intent to injure or anything like that IMO. Chara was sending a message, which probably wouldn't have happened had the ref made the right call to begin with. I'm just being realistic, the NHL isn't even going to look into this and they probably never will. A certain degree of physicality and nastiness is and will always be tolerated by the league, it is what it is. Let's deal with it and move on.

I looked at it again today & the camera angle that is shown on youtube, it seems less severe. The one on RDS last night looked extremely fast and dangerous but having watched it from the other direction it seems less so and it does look like Emelin may have *just* seen him right before the hit.

I agree though, its highly unlikely anything would come of it, Im just not a big fan of sucker punches (and that includes the white play we were talking about). If you want to retaliate, be a man & come at the player from the front.

Why would I agree with it and post the opposite? All I'm trying to say is that by NHL standards, this is not a suspension. I don't think the hit could have ended in a very dangerous incident though, Chara didn't charge at Emelin with full-speed and he didn't smash him into the boards or anything. The hit was illegal no doubt, but there was no intent to injure or anything like that IMO. Chara was sending a message, which probably wouldn't have happened had the ref made the right call to begin with. I'm just being realistic, the NHL isn't even going to look into this and they probably never will. A certain degree of physicality and nastiness is and will always be tolerated by the league, it is what it is. Let's deal with it and move on.

My Bad... upon further reveiw I have to admit that I was wrong in my interpretation. It wasn't as bad as it seemed at first on RDS.

• 3 weeks later...

Emelin has become a liability lately IMO... but playing the right-side defense with Markov may not be the ideal spot for him.

He was more effective on the left side, especially for body checks. It's too bad our defense is one sided and he has to play on the wrong side :(

It will be interesting to see who gets the call up if Emelin can't go against OV and the Caps. Hopefully just a very bad bruise, but it looks like he could have hurt anything from his knee to a pulled groin the way he went down.

Would be surprised if it's a groin pull, but I honestly have no idea. It could be a bruise/charley horse. Denis Gauthier was saying on AC that he had a similar hit a number of years ago that resulted in an ACL injury. The brace doesn't make it sound good. Update possibly tomorrow according to Therrien.

Probably not. As long as Diaz doesn't have a set back I think we'll ride it out with Beaulieu or Tinordi until he's ready to go.

That's great for a few games in the regular season, but if Diaz doesn't come back for the playoffs I'd feel much better with Kaberle back there. And the playoffs are what, three weeks away? Concussion recovery timelines are notorious for being dicey at the best of times... I'm not sure how many chickens I want to put into the "Diaz will be back soon" basket.