The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#74 Alexei Emelin 2012-2013

ColRouleBleu

That's great for a few games in the regular season, but if Diaz doesn't come back for the playoffs I'd feel much better with Kaberle back there. And the playoffs are what, three weeks away? Concussion recovery timelines are notorious for being dicey at the best of times... I'm not sure how many chickens I want to put into the "Diaz will be back soon" basket.

That's why I think it depends pretty heavily on how Diaz progresses over the next 7-10 days. Meanwhile, we see how Beaulieu does as well. I think if we plan on playing Kabs in the playoff, we'd want him in at least the last 3-4 games of the regular season or so.

Arg, the worst possible news. Not playing Kaberle is starting to look insane now.

Yes, not a great prognosis. Its worse still when these injuries occur on totally innocuous plays.

There's still an option to play Kabs, of course, although I highly doubt they will, but the pickup of Driewinski is looking very timely indeed right now. Im not sure he can handle top 4 minutes until diaz returns but he's looked fairly comfortable out there.

Yes, not a great prognosis. Its worse still when these injuries occur on totally innocuous plays.

There's still an option to play Kabs, of course, although I highly doubt they will, but the pickup of Driewinski is looking very timely indeed right now. Im not sure he can handle top 4 minutes until diaz returns but he's looked fairly comfortable out there.

I'm not a huge fan of what I've seen from Drewiske (sp) so far, TBH. And with Diaz still out, I have no idea why we're not seeing Kaberle-Beaulieu as the point men on the second PP unit. We need to distribute our D minutes carefully, given the injuries and Markov's age. With how well we've done this season and the fact that Kaberle only has one more year on his contract, I would rather ice the best possible lineup instead of thinking about keeping Kabs healthy to be compliance buyout fodder this summer.

Diaz will be back soon which will push Drewiske back down to the 3rd pairing and push Beaulieu back down to Hamilton. If Drewiske isn't fitting in very well or is a liability, then i'm sure Therrien and Bergevin will backtrack on their decision to sit Kabs for the season, and actually play him. I think he would play well on the 3rd pairing with the Cube. I would honestly much rather have Kaberle dressing over Weber because IMO Weber is a liability. Therrien will not risk bowing out in the playoffs/going on a lengthy skid just to sit Kaberle. If the team is in a situation where we NEED kaberle because nobody else can efficiently do the job, then we will see Kaberle. But right now I don't believe were in that type of situation.

Diaz will be back soon which will push Drewiske back down to the 3rd pairing and push Beaulieu back down to Hamilton. If Drewiske isn't fitting in very well or is a liability, then i'm sure Therrien and Bergevin will backtrack on their decision to sit Kabs for the season, and actually play him. I think he would play well on the 3rd pairing with the Cube. I would honestly much rather have Kaberle dressing over Weber because IMO Weber is a liability. Therrien will not risk bowing out in the playoffs/going on a lengthy skid just to sit Kaberle. If the team is in a situation where we NEED kaberle because nobody else can efficiently do the job, then we will see Kaberle. But right now I don't believe were in that type of situation.

I don't think we're in that situation if Diaz returns, but what if he doesn't? Would you feel comfortable going into the playoffs with the group of defencemen that we have now? I'm just concerned because it seems like with concussion injuries a guy can be 'almost ready to return' for months at a time.

I'm not a huge fan of what I've seen from Drewiske (sp) so far, TBH. And with Diaz still out, I have no idea why we're not seeing Kaberle-Beaulieu as the point men on the second PP unit. We need to distribute our D minutes carefully, given the injuries and Markov's age. With how well we've done this season and the fact that Kaberle only has one more year on his contract, I would rather ice the best possible lineup instead of thinking about keeping Kabs healthy to be compliance buyout fodder this summer.

Interesting, I guess im not seeing your concerns with Drewinski -he's looked a little "forced" on some plays but considering he's just joined a new system, thats to be expected. Hopefully he changes your mind & can do a decent job down the stretch.

I absolutely agree about Kabs. The thing is I understand why they were keeping him off the ice, but drastic times call for drastic measures. He's not unusable. He's still an NHL-caliber defensman, he just happens to be vastly overpaid for what he brings, but the reality is, he brings a lot more than either Beaulieu or Tinordi could at this point.

The other side of the coin is that if Kaberle was to come in & play even reasonably well, its not beyond the realm of possibility to think someone might trade a 7th rounder for him (for one year of overpayment) this summer. PIcking him up now is tricky (thus making it through waivers) because a lot of teams dont know what direction they are going in yet. By the summer, most will have a clear idea of their plans & may well rid us of his contract without a compliance buyout.

Back to Emelin though, really sucks for this to happen now, but the future does look bright for him....although I still think he compliments PK better (and Gorges with Markov) both in skillset and ability to handle bigger minutes.

Yes. All of this.

Tough loss, I liked his growth this year and was looking forward to see him grow even more the playoffs..

I don't have a problem with Beulieu and Tindordi sharing duty through the playoffs, we play as well as any team 5 on 5.

Its the system Therrien has installed we support each other all over the ice....

Heck after last season, playing as well as we have all season, knowing we will be in the playoffs, having the likes of Galchenyk, Gallage getting a taste of the playoffs, along with Tinordi and Beulieu, all is still good...

I still think we will surprise a few teams in the playoffs just like we have all season....

Who really wants Kaberle to play anyway? He is not part of the present team, never was and certainly will not be part of the future.

Anyone of Tinordi or Beulieu will be less of a liability then Kaberle and they will get some really valuable experience.

I'm personally still curious as to the nature of Emelin's injury. All we got was "ligament injury" but is that an ACL? We know he's out for the year, but this late in the season, we also need to wonder whether he's going to be back to start NEXT season.

I'm personally still curious as to the nature of Emelin's injury. All we got was "ligament injury" but is that an ACL? We know he's out for the year, but this late in the season, we also need to wonder whether he's going to be back to start NEXT season.

They said "torn ligament" but didn't mention ACL or MCL. I'm curious too.

I don't think we're in that situation if Diaz returns, but what if he doesn't? Would you feel comfortable going into the playoffs with the group of defencemen that we have now? I'm just concerned because it seems like with concussion injuries a guy can be 'almost ready to return' for months at a time.

To be honest, I think we will be in such a situation if, and only if, the following happens to our team:

A) Drewiske isn't panning out and is a liability, B ) Tinordi/Beaulieu become liabilities, C) Our team starts to take a nose dive based on poor overall defense, D) Another one of our D-men go down with a serious injury.

The only situation in which I see both Diaz not coming back and Kaberle not cracking the lineup, is if both Drewiske and Tinordi/Beaulieu play well and warrant continued playing time. However, im sure Diaz will be back a few games before the playoffs, but if he isn't, then I think Therrien may choose to play Kaberle in the playoffs with his experience over Nathan and Jarred. Im confident in saying that if Kaberle was a UFA at the end of the season, then he would be playing on the 3rd pairing Tuesday night. All a matter of contracts.

• 2 weeks later...

i agree, i think Emelin's defensive skills were in question due to Marky's defensive play this season.

I actually thought he did ok, despite playing on his off wing and having to come to Markies rescue so often.

i got this sick feeling when he went down, i knew it would leave a hole on our blueline.

Marky has looked worse without Emelin, have to give Emelin credit, he's becoming a key player on our blueline. Really wonder how he would've been, playing on his natural side and with a partner he doesn't have to bail out a few times a game.

I agree. He brought much more than most realized and TSN even commented on how Markov looks without him.

they did?

I noticed early on in the season when marky kept getting caught pinching, Emelin would haul butt to get back and cover mrky's wing.

Interesting, there was a time that marky made his d-partners look good. Now it's the other way around, maybe Emelin didn't make him look good, but we can now see how much Marky counted on Emelin.

Yes they did. During the game. They showed him on the bench and were saying how lost he looks without Emelin. I really think he liked the fact Emelin would be there to cover for him. I think they really helped each other though, in different ways, but they were good together.

I think it still can and will be, but it must also help Emelin feel a little more comfortable to talk to Markov in russian out there, and look how exposed Markov is without him now. Could you imagine what that would have been like for the whole year?

• 4 weeks later...

Something that I totally missed in Bergevin's presser Monday ... He confirmed that Emelin's rehab will not be completed when the season starts and that he will likely not be back before November.

Send him to live with Patches for the summer, then he should be back for the opening game. :rolleyes:

The swelling has still not gone down yet,according to HIO,they still don't know if he will need an operation,don't forget Gorges played for years with the same thing.What ever happens I hope he gets well quickly,we will need him next year,co's I don't think MB is going to do much in the way of changes.

GO EMELIN GO :wub::wub: :wub:

He has the sweetest smile