The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Erik Cole

Guest archey

don't mention the south of france to this guy. we need him here.

seriously though when one stops to think about all the social changes, how hard times have been economically, how the kings won the cup and the coaching change i just hope eric doesn't wind up the way of gomez. he seems like a different person (without me having seen him performing) and i know he's old school and a true competitor, but the focus just seems to have shifted precipitously.

seriously though when one stops to think about all the social changes, how hard times have been economically, how the kings won the cup and the coaching change i just hope eric doesn't wind up the way of gomez. he seems like a different person (without me having seen him performing) and i know he's old school and a true competitor, but the focus just seems to have shifted precipitously.

Hi. Where is this thread coming from?

The mentioning of S. France and about Cole's focus. I seem to be missing something.

Cole needs some love too.

Done ;)

Guest archey

If he hates speedos, he's got good taste!

lol.

i don't even know what speedos are. i've heard them mentioned negatively though. :P

That's Archey. You'll learn to understand what he says. Though many of us still don't(me included).

Yeah, you've got to have your metaphor detector set to "high" but once you finally do break through there's often a lot of insight there :)

lol.

i don't even know what speedos are. i've heard them mentioned negatively though. :P

That is the beauty of N America is that anyone can wear a marble bag(speedo) in public. They shouldn't but can. I wonder what Cole would think about all this.

That is the beauty of N America is that anyone can wear a marble bag(speedo) in public. They shouldn't but can. I wonder what Cole would think about all this.

When it's his turn to be on the spot for the 'Ask a Hab' Q&A session on the main site, just ask him B)

:lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

His focus? I do believe he was the best player for us last year.. if he lack focus then kessell has ADHD, I don't understand how you can say his focus is lacking.. I mean even if it was this past year uhm can ya blame him? If the canes had of re signed him they probably would have made the playoffs which is most likely why he came to the habs in the first place.

• 2 months later...

Erikkkweb-285x280.jpg

After 113 days and 655 games lost to the NHL lockout, the Canadiens' Erik Cole is excited about finally getting back to work, but is of several minds in trying to process what transpired.

"The initial feeling on Sunday (when tentative agreement was reached) was more relief than anything," Cole told The Gazette's Dave Stubbs in a wide-ranging talk this week. "But at the same time, there was little bit of, '(Expletive), why did it take this long? Why did we even have to go through that?' You run the gamut of emotions when you look at what this all finished off at and realistically, you can say, 'Man, if (owners) had come to us and had an honest discussion with us, this probably wouldn't have lasted half as long as it did.' "

You can read Stubbs's column on Cole by clicking here.

Gotta be honest, some of the stuff Cole did over the lockout made me lose respect for him as a person. That article right there sums it up, the deal is done, it's all finished, and we're getting ready for a season, and he's still got to get a little pot shot in at the owners. Not to say that he didn't get a good deal for them in the end, but I feel like a lot of players (and Cole rather explicitly) just drank Fehr's Kool-Aid and anybody who didn't toe the NHLPA line was named and shamed. Oh well, at least it's all over and I can stop facepalming at jocks dressing up and playing businessman. I'm just looking forward to cheering for Cole doing what he does best; playing hockey.

I'm excited for another season of Cole, I don't expect him to match last season's pace, but I think he'll score on at least a 55 point pace (I'm too lazy to do the math to figure out what 50 points in 82 games would be in 48 :lol:. I think he's probably still got one or two more top 6 level years left in him, next year and the year after might be a bit of a problem, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Gotta be honest, some of the stuff Cole did over the lockout made me lose respect for him as a person. That article right there sums it up, the deal is done, it's all finished, and we're getting ready for a season, and he's still got to get a little pot shot in at the owners.

I tend to agree, and the way he tells it, the owners are entirely to blame - the PA deserves no part in the blame game, which is crazy.

Well I was somewhat glad he said something about Hammer. In my own opinion hammer was indeed being selfish. I understand Hammer wanted to finish his career with a possible stanley cup, but it would be unfair to accept the terrible offers the owners were giving just so he could play a 82/60/50/48 game season while younger stars had to deal with the 5-10 year CBA that gave great benefits to the owners.

However, Cole needs to put the whole thing to rest along with the rest of both sides, life is too short (and hockey careers) to hold grudges against your bosses/employees.

Well I was somewhat glad he said something about Hammer. In my own opinion hammer was indeed being selfish. I understand Hammer wanted to finish his career with a possible stanley cup, but it would be unfair to accept the terrible offers the owners were giving just so he could play a 82/60/50/48 game season while younger stars had to deal with the 5-10 year CBA that gave great benefits to the owners.

However, Cole needs to put the whole thing to rest along with the rest of both sides, life is too short (and hockey careers) to hold grudges against your bosses/employees.

Were some of those 'terrible offers' much worse than what they ended up signing? Especially when you factor in the extra games/salary they would have gotten? Anyway, I'm sure once the season gets rolling we'll stop hearing about the lockout and that time can't come soon enough for me. B)

Were some of those 'terrible offers' much worse than what they ended up signing? Especially when you factor in the extra games/salary they would have gotten? Anyway, I'm sure once the season gets rolling we'll stop hearing about the lockout and that time can't come soon enough for me. B)

Arguable. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Well, the issue for that is that the PA has to negotiate on behalf of players like Galchenyuk and players who haven't even been drafted yet. We can't just look at salary lost vs. make whole in a vacuum. For a player who hasn't even been drafted yet, the deal the PA eventually signed is better than the ones that the NHL proposed for an 82 game season.

...while younger stars had to deal with the 5-10 year CBA that gave great benefits to the owners...

You didnt just say that did you? ;)

We're not talking about coalminers or something. These guys get obscene amounts of money to chase a piece of rubber around the ice. Even if they had somehow gone to an 80/20 split most players would earn more than the average Canadian does in 10 years.

One of Hamrlik's arguments was that they already have enough "playing hockey is selfish" - he comes from an extremely poor country you know. People visit Prague and think the Czech Republic is a rich country but aside from that one major city (supported by tourism) its not. I would think it wholly logical for someone who comes from a very poor society to think that perhaps they should be happy with what they've got - but regardless - Hamrlik's comments were justifed - and his opinion.

I have no problem with any of the players/owners/medias opinions throughout the ordeal - they own what they say - but I have more respect for Hamrlik saying it that for Cole harping on his opinion. But thats just my opinion. :lol: