The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Erik Cole

What I meant was that 250k is a lot of money, but it certainly isn't 100 foot yacht and never work again money, which is the general assumption of pro athletes and their salaries/lifestyles.

No, it isn't. That's the neighbourhood of the multimillionaires and Cole fits in that category. The Darches of pro sports have to budget like everyone

else but it is alot easier when you take home 250K after tax rather than 30K.

When Cole takes home 2 million after tax that is a hell of alot of cheddar. Even if his annual property taxes are 100K he still has a pretty comfortable

bed of money to sleep upon and a ton to put into investments for his kid, wife and himself.

That will pad his finances after he retires from playing hockey. After that he will likely get a job within the Hurricanes organization (assuming it survives)

or in TV or be a successful businessman.

So the argument that the players and some fans put up that their "short window of earning potential" justifies their massive salaries really holds no valid

basis to it and gains no sympathy from this corner.

No, it isn't. That's the neighbourhood of the multimillionaires and Cole fits in that category. The Darches of pro sports have to budget like everyone

else but it is alot easier when you take home 250K after tax rather than 30K.

When Cole takes home 2 million after tax that is a hell of alot of cheddar. Even if his annual property taxes are 100K he still has a pretty comfortable

bed of money to sleep upon and a ton to put into investments for his kid, wife and himself.

That will pad his finances after he retires from playing hockey. After that he will likely get a job within the Hurricanes organization (assuming it survives)

or in TV or be a successful businessman.

So the argument that the players and some fans put up that their "short window of earning potential" justifies their massive salaries really holds no valid

basis to it and gains no sympathy from this corner.

I agree with you, if Erik Cole at any point has major problems with money it is entirely his fault, and it's because of seriously irresponsible spending. Same thing with Darche (or anyone who lives outside their means for that matter). All I meant to point out was that a lot of frustration about economic inequality manifests itself in sports salaries, but the vast majority of pro athletes are less like Erik Cole and more like Mathieu Darche in economic terms, they get paid and make a lot of money for a little while (and should have no problems setting themselves up), but they don't have the kind of money to own 5 houses and sail around the world after working for 5 years. I'm not trying to say that Darche isn't paid fairly (nor am I saying Cole's salary is unfair), but the life of a pro athlete isn't necessarily completely full of excess, fine wines, and fancy cars. This is what I was getting at earlier with the NHLPA bargaining for what seems trivial, because if they don't do it, and they just let the owners skim a few percentage points here and there, it does add up and becomes tangible for the fringe players (of course, it doesn't compare to people in Canada who have to choose between eating 3 meals a day or turning the heat on, but we all do take steps to make our economic situation as comfortable as we can).

As for the short earning window, I don't think people were saying it justifies the salary (although I don't really think supply and demand economics needs to be "justified"), but instead were saying that the short earning window justifies the NHLPA bargaining for future players' considerations.

Let's take a closer look at the bottom of the barrel. The guy who has to grind it out to get 3-4 seasons at or near league minimum. Because it's readily available, I'll use figures for our very own Darche, but this could be close to your worst case scenario for your lowest paid guys.

Let's say this guy only has a 3 year career as a grinder in and out of the pressbox and as such earns Darche money over those years:

Year 1 - $600K

Year 2 - $500K

Year 3 - $700K

Taxes for those years using 2011 Ontario rates for a single individual (not the worst tax jurisdiction but pretty close):

Year 1 - $258,800

Year 2 - $212,400

Year 3 - $305,200

After tax cash

Year 1 - $341,200

Year 2 - $287,600

Year 3 - $394,800

Total after tax cash over 3 years $1,023,600.

Johnny on the street works a decent/average job for $50,000 a year, incurring about $9,500 in tax, for an after tax cash flow of $40,050. Johny will need to work over 25 years to earn what Joe hockey player did in $3.

This also doesn't factor in the time value of money which would have a huge impact in the hockey player's favour.

This whole thing is being blown out of proportion, ya hes upset with the CBA agreement and the wounds are fresh from this lockout and i feel he was speaking out of emotion and frustration over it. It will settle

This whole thing is being blown out of proportion, ya hes upset with the CBA agreement and the wounds are fresh from this lockout and i feel he was speaking out of emotion and frustration over it. It will settle

I don't mind what he said at all, I've actually forgotten Cole as part of this discussion LOL. I just think it's an interesting debate/topic. We should probably move it to a more relevant thread or even create a new one outside of the Canadiens specific threads.

Is Erik still in the NHL? :rolleyes: I heard he was prepared to quit because of the new CBA. :lol:

I'm sure he'll still be playing hockey after this season. It is disappointing to hear a millionaire complain about losing money though. I love Erik's game on the ice, and I understand that no one who works wants to have their pay cut, but there are certain realities that NHL players should have been prepared for going into this lockout. One of those was losing some cash. To pretend this was unexpected is delusional.

Slow start to the season again... has had a few chances that he's missed, but his breakaway speed hasn't come through yet this year. Looks like he doesn't quite have the gas yet, which I'm hoping is just rust from the lockout.

Looks similar to last season where he didn't get his legs going until a few games in.

best effort for Cole so far, finally had his legs

Meh, there were some bad plays, too, like the tying goal that shouldn't have happened. But we all know what he can and will eventually deliver. I actually think the new and talented youth on the team is going to inspire him to have another great year.

Yep... You can say that again. :( I also don't think he really showed any bursts of speed until he drew the penalty in OT. Cole really needs to get going for us.

His legs looked really tired last night, I kept hoping he'd make that speed move to the outside and he kept trying to do it, but he never had the speed to pull it off. I noticed they put him on a line with Chuckie and Gally a few times which seemed to give him a bit more energy but his shots and passes didn't have any zip to them.

His legs looked really tired last night, I kept hoping he'd make that speed move to the outside and he kept trying to do it, but he never had the speed to pull it off. I noticed they put him on a line with Chuckie and Gally a few times which seemed to give him a bit more energy but his shots and passes didn't have any zip to them.

Wouldn't worry just yet, started slow last season and had one of the best seasons of his career. Kind of like an 18 wheeler, takes a while to get going and upt to speed, once it does though, there's nothing on the road that can stop it.

Realistically I don't think he'll do as well as last season, that was career years for the whole line. I still think he'll be fine though. Strong season, but a bit under what he posted last year.

Is Erik still in the NHL? :rolleyes: I heard he was prepared to quit because of the new CBA. :lol:

I'm sure he'll still be playing hockey after this season. It is disappointing to hear a millionaire complain about losing money though. I love Erik's game on the ice, and I understand that no one who works wants to have their pay cut, but there are certain realities that NHL players should have been prepared for going into this lockout. One of those was losing some cash. To pretend this was unexpected is delusional.

Little bit different for a player his age. he sees his playing days quickly coming to an end, wants as much money before he retires from the sport. A young player few years in the league signing his first big contract will have a different mind frame. To them 10-15 years from now seems like an eternity to them. I know it's cliche, but time does speed up once you hit 30 and Cole is realizing he only has a few years left (probably the remainder of his current contract) to prepare for his retirement. Pk may have sat in on the CBA talks with the NHLPA, but i doubt he's really thinking of his retirement. Right now he like all the other players his age are thinking of making good money and enjoying life while in their prime.

I didn't see the game last night, but he was noticebly absent from the scoresheet. How did he play?

Frankly... he is still out of step more than not.

If he is going hard to the net and potting goals he is an asset. But, IMHO, there isn't much to his game overall that is overly impressive.