The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Erik Cole

That's always been his thing though. Even though it may not be translating into goals, but he drew at least 2 penalties last game driving into the offensive zone and playing his game.

I'm disappointed as well, have always liked Cole (wish we had acquired him several years ago when Edmonton picked him up). he's well known for having slow starts. Not ready to panic just yet, but getting close.

I do recall the penalties... I guess there's some upside. Hope he turns it around.

He looked better last game.

he did have that tweak during the lockout, wonder if it's still bothering him. Heard the original article about saying he was happy he had the lockout to rest and recuperate. Haven't heard anything about his condition since the original article.

he is on the wrong side of 30, so minor tweaks can take longer to heal that for a kid entering his prime. He's had a lot of injuries during his career, not sure we ever saw his true potential due to all his injuries. He finally completed 2 consecutive seasons without an injury.

Do you think it has anything to do with the stink of wanting to retire.... Forcing Bergervin to have a say on his future?

It's always a possibility, usually when guys have had enough it shows on the ice. Lack of effort, just look at Cammy's last season here.

I still see the effort from cole, but he just isn't getting the bounces.

Do you think it has anything to do with the stink of wanting to retire.... Forcing Bergervin to have a say on his future?

That's the kind of stuff we as fans like to talk about but generally it's just noise. We fans have a hard time with the statistical variances of hockey so we're always looking for reasons why someone either is or isn't producing. Last year Cole had a crap start and we were talking about how he only plays well in Carolina. I'm not overly worried, I mean look the reality is and always was it was highly unlikely he repeated last year's career season, especially at his age and there was always a good chance his play fell off during this contract so maybe this is permanent and he's just a 34 year old who has played a lot of tough hockey and peaked. I think the truth is somewhere the middle, he's always been more of a 25 goal guy than a 30-35 goal guy and I think he'll end up scoring at a 20-25 goal pace.

That's the kind of stuff we as fans like to talk about but generally it's just noise. We fans have a hard time with the statistical variances of hockey so we're always looking for reasons why someone either is or isn't producing. Last year Cole had a crap start and we were talking about how he only plays well in Carolina. I'm not overly worried, I mean look the reality is and always was it was highly unlikely he repeated last year's career season, especially at his age and there was always a good chance his play fell off during this contract so maybe this is permanent and he's just a 34 year old who has played a lot of tough hockey and peaked. I think the truth is somewhere the middle, he's always been more of a 25 goal guy than a 30-35 goal guy and I think he'll end up scoring at a 20-25 goal pace.

Agreed. If we had a better option on the first line id be content with putting Eric on the second line (i suppose he sort of is, the way Plekanec's line is playing) and let him do his thing. The contract isnt horrible for a solid second liner either.

Where is Eric Cole?

Eric Cole sure didn't look impressive with Galchenyuk and Prust tonight vs. the Flyers. And yet, he was given chances again on the power play... go figure. Maybe being replaced by Gallhagher didn't sit too well with him. 12:55 total TOI... of which 4:07 TOIPP with Desharnais and Pacioretty mostly... zero results

I know we are playing well and thats great but what is happening with the accountability that the GM and coach stressed at the begining of the year. I think it's time we do sit Mr. Cole. Really have not been a fan of this guy ever since his lock out attitude and it appears to be continuing into the season.

Argh. <_< I noticed from the highlights he took a delayed penalty and then abandoned coverage of Stralman on the New York goal.

Wasn't it Subban who took the penalty on Gaborik and then complained instead of chasing down Stepan? Not saying Cole played smart in that situation but IMO it's been more on Subban than on Cole.

That said, he needs to come on offensively, because that's what he's being paid for.